Samsung intros IPS competitor: PLS

Still this 1920x1080 or 1920x1200 is really confusing.

The pics CNET revealed june 20 is 16:10 for sure.

SA850%2827%29_front_01_540x405.jpg

http://reviews.cnet.com/2300-3174_7-10008226.html?tag=mncol;txt

But they claim that it is 16:9 (1920x1080).
"The SA850 comes in both 24-inch and 27-inch versions, including 1,920x1,080-pixel and 2,560x1,440-pixel 16:9 resolutions, respectively. "
http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-20072002-1/new-panel-tech-in-samsung-sa850/

...but the shops so far label the S24A850BW as 1920x1200.
http://skinflint.co.uk/eu/a641626.html

Will be intresting to see the outcome. It doesnt get less confusing when we get similar 16:9 / 16:10 contradictory information on the U2412.

Update:

And the pic showing s27a850 on Samsungs website is 16:10 but is labelled as 2560x1440 (16:9)
02.jpg

http://www.samsung.com/hk_en/consum...ype=commercial&subsubtype=sa650-and-sa850-led

This is such a mess. :eek::confused:

Last edited:
Confusing indeed. In this older pic they are comparing the SA850 to a "conventional 1280x1024" screen which is clearly 16:9 :confused::rolleyes:

6.jpg

It would seem that people from Samsung who are in charge for this stuff are, well, idiots. Haven't seen those cnet pics before. Where did they get them if the 24" version is indeed 1080p only :confused:

It would seem that people from Samsung who are in charge for this stuff are, well, idiots. Haven't seen those cnet pics before. Where did they get them if the 24" version is indeed 1080p only :confused:

From Samsung.

One really amazing thing with the SA850 is that it is 16:10 in normal mode but it converts to 16:9 if you use the pivot. :)

SA850%2827%29_front_01_540x405.jpg

SA850%2827%29_front_02_540x405.jpg

http://reviews.cnet.com/2300-3174_7-10008226.html?s=0&o=10008226&tag=mncol;thum

I guess you are right about that the people that are responsible for the site dont have a clue about monitors.

The 27" model is looking really good. Hopefully it doesn't cost an arm and a leg...

One really amazing thing with the SA850 is that it is 16:10 in normal mode but it converts to 16:9 if you use the pivot. :)
Hehe, you know, looking at those pics I thought the exact same thing at first. But then I remembered how my ZR24w looks very tall in portrait, as if it were a wider aspect ratio than it really is. It's an optical illusion, drawing a rectangle around the screen confirms it is a 16:10 monitor in the photo. I guess what we know so far is that a 16:10 PLS does exist., Whether it is some kind of a prototype model and Samsung for whatever reason decided to use another panel and go with 1080p, remains to be seen. I'd love to see a 1920x1200 IPS that isn't made by LG.

the specific of these shop is wrong ! say that S24A850BW is TN !
plus, the SA850 24" model is not in preorder.

Last edited:
Hehe, you know, looking at those pics I thought the exact same thing at first. But then I remembered how my ZR24w looks very tall in portrait, as if it were a wider aspect ratio than it really is. It's an optical illusion, drawing a rectangle around the screen confirms it is a 16:10 monitor in the photo. I guess what we know so far is that a 16:10 PLS does exist., Whether it is some kind of a prototype model and Samsung for whatever reason decided to use another panel and go with 1080p, remains to be seen. I'd love to see a 1920x1200 IPS that isn't made by LG.
the end of ips is near

Hehe, you know, looking at those pics I thought the exact same thing at first. But then I remembered how my ZR24w looks very tall in portrait, as if it were a wider aspect ratio than it really is. It's an optical illusion, drawing a rectangle around the screen confirms it is a 16:10 monitor in the photo.

:D

Oops. Intresting illusion. :eek:

the end of ips is near

From the one review so far, this is just about the same as IPS.

The only advantage is the less aggressive AG coating.

Something LG could change if they ever realize how much it is annoying some buyers.

Something LG could change if they ever realize how much it is annoying some buyers.

and for you is a little thing ? the only defect of IPS is this !:eek:
The pictures in my IPS look worst than my glare notebook, the color is better but photos have any glitter in IPS :eek:
less aggressive ? EXTREME AGGRESSIVE ! different

8iEvE.png

aK6hg.png

Last edited:

Considering the fact that Samsung had good screen uniformity on both TN and S-PVA, I have to wonder if poor uniformity is related to the IPS/PLS fabrication process. I can live with it if they elimate the dam white glow.

Considering the fact that Samsung had good screen uniformity on both TN and S-PVA, I have to wonder if poor uniformity is related to the IPS/PLS fabrication process. I can live with it if they elimate the dam white glow.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/monitors/display/samsung-sa850_6.html#sect0

It doesn't look like it is eliminated to me. It just looks to be a different tint. Also bear in mind that different IPS screen variations change this as well. Low end e-IPS are among the worse of IPS for white glow IIRC.

All in all PLS, appears to be IPS. But a second source is a good thing.

But unless it was improved both in uniformity and contrast ratio(from the preview above), it looks no better than what I have seen previously from IPS.

On top of that I was interested in the 24" as initially reported with 1920x1200 resolution. Now there is nothing here for me.

I am pinning my next hopes on Dell U2412, still having 1920x1200 resolution.

S-PLS in an IPS by Samsung whit semi glossy coating because LG is too idiot to know that his coating is ridicolous. :eek:

It comes with the "MagicAngle" feature? WTF, why would a wide viewing angle display need gimmicky features like that? :confused:

Hmm, I hope they are cheaper than current IPS panels... then they will sell like CRAZY!

Initial price will be inflated due to production limits, then it will drop a few months later.

Actually, $870 would be about 15% less than the U2711 and Apple 27" at MSRP. And I'd expect to find it for a bit less after initial release.

Now does anyone know when we will actually see this being sold in the States?

As you can tell by the complete lack of any posts for the last two weeks, there haven't been any reports at all.... I've completely given up on this monitor.

There are probably production problems of some kind, might be worth waiting for those hi res LG displays.

24" model is the unic interesting product, 27" version is only ridicolous.
Samsung say that this monitors will be in the shops in july, today is august and this linked shops is not true shops.

A shame, I'm considering switching to a larger 16:9 display but don't want to be limited to TN and $1100+ IPS displays. Hopefully they'll be in stock and cheaper after the holidays...

And that hideous backlight bleed, DO NOT WANT!

I think I'll just buy a dell and live with the coating, been waiting since december and its been delayed so often now...

The wait is irritating, they need to send a sample to tft-central so we at least know if it's worth waiting for.

But I won't buy dell.. I'd like 2560 res, but No Way with that AG and No Way with that input delay / response time.

Most people are waiting on this for one simple reason: Non-LG antiglare. No amount of features on any other monitor are going to tempt us. If it weren't for the AG, I'd be happily using the U2711 I bought and then had to return because of it.

Hmm? Speak for yourself. What is another couple months when you have bought a monitor in years? I am waiting.. Either this one or the 30inch HP one. The apple one might work too but I kinda hate have apple on my desk.

Back