Samsung Introduces Industry’s First 256-Gigabyte Universal Flash Storage

HardOCP News

[H] News
Samsung Electronics, the world leader in advanced memory technology, announced that it is now mass producing the industry’s first 256-gigabyte (GB) embedded memory based on the Universal Flash Storage (UFS) 2.0 standard, for next-generation high-end mobile devices. The newly introduced embedded memory features outstanding performance for mobile devices that exceeds that of a typical SATA-based SSD for PCs.

The new Samsung UFS memory satisfies needs for ultra-fast speed, large data capacity and compact chip size in high-end smartphones. It is based on the company’s most advanced V-NAND flash memory chips and a specially-designed high-performance controller. The UFS memory handles up to 45,000 and 40,000 input/output operations per second (IOPS) for random reading and writing respectively, over two times faster than the 19,000 and 14,000 IOPS of the previous generation of UFS memory.

Hopefully this will get adopted sooner than later. It's amazing that 16/32GB is still the base size on most phones.

Oh yeah, and I'll take a 256GB iPod too.

Last edited:
What baffles me is the "luxury" music players that have... 8 gigs of on board memory, even though they're designed to play FLAC.

This is their 3D NAND finally making its way into other bulk products.

Hopefully this will get adopted sooner than later. It's amazing that 16/32GB is still the base size on most phones.

Give me 256GB standard on a cell phone, and I'll be willing to give up the SD slot.

Back