Samsung Hit With Class Action Lawsuit Over Note 7 Debacle

HardOCP News

[H] News
The only thing surprising about this class action lawsuit is that it took this long to be filed. It's kinda funny that the people that filed this suit are complaining about not having an "adequate replacement" for their phones while there are people out there like this guy. ;)

“Samsung informed consumers they would have to wait several days, and even weeks in many cases, before receiving a replacement smartphone,” the suit alleges. “During this time, and as a result of Defendant failing to provide consumers with an adequate replacement, consumers continued to incur monthly device and plan charges from their cellular carriers for phones they could not safely use.” A spokesperson for Samsung told me the company does not comment on pending litigation.

Best option would be for samsung to buy out the phone and contract so people don't get stuck for 2 years with a phone they didn't want.

You're joking, right? There's a reason samsung recalled them all, and is sending people ceramic lined boxes to ship them back in.

Please return/exchange your phone so these don't become famous last words

actually I have to agree slightly with the person you both replied to. In all honesty this is more of people making a mountain out of a mole hill than a massive issue. There was what 24 actual issues or something like that world wide. Which yes that is a problem for those 20 people but it isn't the same as 75% of them having issues which is more how you would think given the press and internet coverage. I bet you can find 24 people that received a iPhone 7 that had a problem but you won't see that all over the news. Part of it is the severity of the issue as it is a serious problem when it happens, but not all phones have burst into flames yet, not even 1% have done it.

Best option would be for samsung to buy out the phone and contract so people don't get stuck for 2 years with a phone they didn't want.

I had the Note 7 and could return it for a full money back or swap to a new phone. I am pretty sure all carries were offering the same deal since they were just going to send them all back to Samsung anyway.

Class action? Really? I hope it gets thrown out.

There is absolutely no reason for a class action in this case.

Samsung recalled the phones. Every single carrier was offering refunds/exchanges if the customers didn't want to wait for a replacement even before the complete recall from what I heard right here on [H].

People are idiots!

You're joking, right? There's a reason samsung recalled them all, and is sending people ceramic lined boxes to ship them back in.
The actual chance of something going wrong is pretty small. This has been mostly over-reaction. Samsung didn't react as well as they should at first, so now they are compensating by joining the over-reaction bandwagon, themselves.

The actual chance of something going wrong is pretty small. This has been mostly over-reaction. Samsung didn't react as well as they should at first, so now they are compensating by joining the over-reaction bandwagon, themselves.
And when a manufacturer recalls them all, uses ceramic lined boxes as a CYA measure, and then stops production, it's still a debacle no matter how small the percentage of actual issues happens to be.

not sure if this class action was needed.. i can see if your shit blew up and damaged something then sue them one on one but.. just cause? nah sit the f down.... they recalled the shits and even the carriers where there to help you out... IF you need to see what a class action would be needed for, see VW diesel

actually I have to agree slightly with the person you both replied to. In all honesty this is more of people making a mountain out of a mole hill than a massive issue. There was what 24 actual issues or something like that world wide. Which yes that is a problem for those 20 people but it isn't the same as 75% of them having issues which is more how you would think given the press and internet coverage. I bet you can find 24 people that received a iPhone 7 that had a problem but you won't see that all over the news. Part of it is the severity of the issue as it is a serious problem when it happens, but not all phones have burst into flames yet, not even 1% have done it.
https://www.google.com/amp/www.pock...-how-many-have-exploded.amphtml?client=safari

92 as of September 16th, but let's see if we can deflect back to Apple more. Sooooo typical.

Stop down playing an issue that has the potential to kill / damage property. Samsung and authorities are acting exactly how they should.

That evacuated flight is a a perfect example and narrowly dodged a bullet. If that happened 20 minutes later mid flight and filled the cabin with noxious smoke...

I don't care if you deem it to be a small risk, why should other people have to accept the risk of you carrying one on a flight or charging in a hotel etc.

Sigh....

In a few years a settlement will be reached, the customers will get pennies, Samsung won't admit any wrong doing and the lawyers will get millions.

Rinse and repeat...

https://www.google.com/amp/www.pock...-how-many-have-exploded.amphtml?client=safari

92 as of September 16th, but let's see if we can deflect back to Apple more. Sooooo typical.

I guess for some reason that 26 (number of burns) stuck in my head as the number of explosions and not the 92. it is nothing about deflecting to Apple, it is that percentages can be twisted to be good or bad. If you look at my post I even stated that the severity of the issue play into how it is reacted to. My point was simply that out of 2.5 millions you have 0.00368% that have caught fire or exploded. If looking at anything else you wouldn't care about that number. What would you say if your boss offered you a .00368% raise? To put this into perspective, you have a .00769% change of being hit by lightning in your life (in the USA). So you are twice as likely to be hit by lightning than have your note 7 explode based on current numbers. Yet every time it storms you don't start to think today is the day I get hit by lightning. When it does happen it is horrible and can damage a lot of your stuff, including burning down your house. But that still doesn't mean that it is extremely wide spread.

zbMJlbhjs6BTG.gif

Reactions: File
like this
And banned them nation wide from flights.

This lawsuit is legitimate, and furthermore, there are people that can rightfully complain that they purchased Samsung Gear VRs for use with this phone, and now that they have to give the phone up through no fault of their own, they are not being allowed to return their Gear VRs without penalty, which is nonsense.

Samsung went "full Korea" on this, and it just doesn't work with Western customers. That doesn't work, and brand reputation matters a crapton to us, and they are REALLY hurting their brand with how they are handing this disaster.

This lawsuit is legitimate, and furthermore, there are people that can rightfully complain that they purchased Samsung Gear VRs for use with this phone, and now that they have to give the phone up through no fault of their own, they are not being allowed to return their Gear VRs without penalty, which is nonsense.

Samsung went "full Korea" on this, and it just doesn't work with Western customers. That doesn't work, and brand reputation matters a crapton to us, and they are REALLY hurting their brand with how they are handing this disaster.

ATT allowed me to return the GearVR I bought with the phone as well as all the other accessories I purchased from them without penalty. Amazon is allowing you to return pretty much anything Note 7 related as long as it was fulfilled by them as well. The other carriers are doing the same. It seems that the big players in this are being fair. Aside from no longer having a Note 7, what penalty are you talking about?

brand reputation matters to the western culture? Since when? Sony installed root kits through their cds and bricked lots of computers. they are still around. Then did many other things that were bad and still resulted in them being around. All the places that have had mass food poisoning such as subway and Chipotle are still around. People only care or remember for a few days then forget. Do you remember to hate Taco Bell due to their non-beef beef? Do you still avoid the places that actively or passively promoted hatred toward gays? Are large groups of people running from Comcast and the other most hated companies in the USA?

People like to pretend that they care about brands, but give them a few days and a good deal and they forget.

What debacle? My Note 7 has been working great.

I considered keeping mine as well. It never got hot while charging or even while using the Gear VR while plugged in. I was concerned they would intentionally brick them with an update, and wanted to avoid problems in general, so I just went back to my Note 4 instead. Best of luck with yours though.

ATT allowed me to return the GearVR I bought with the phone as well as all the other accessories I purchased from them without penalty. Amazon is allowing you to return pretty much anything Note 7 related as long as it was fulfilled by them as well. The other carriers are doing the same. It seems that the big players in this are being fair. Aside from no longer having a Note 7, what penalty are you talking about?
Unlike American companies that are worried about their brand reputation and consumer loyalty, Samsung themselves are giving a big middle-finger to customers.

Customers that purchased their products directly through Samsung and are now outside the 30 day return window (through no fault of their own, because first they had to return it for a replacement, and then return the replacement which took weeks) and told by Samsung that they can suck a turd: Galaxy Note 7 Owners Can't Get A Refund For Their Gear VR Because It 'Works With Other Samsung Devices'

not sure if this class action was needed.. i can see if your shit blew up and damaged something then sue them one on one but.. just cause? nah sit the f down.... they recalled the shits and even the carriers where there to help you out... IF you need to see what a class action would be needed for, see VW diesel

I'm perfectly happy with my '16th Jetta TDI and it's 58MPG interstate fuel economy.
The only reason I'm not going to remove myself from the class is because without the "fix", I'll never be able to transfer the title.

Ahh, those people do have reason to sue then.
Samsung just screwed the pooch entirely with this.

First off, I have no idea how this made it past quality assurance testing, when so many devices were failing. I have a strong feeling that this was discovered and was buried by someone within the organization, which is not uncommon for Korean companies in general... totally different culture.

Secondly, when replacing the units, they should have offered some kind of 'sorry for the inconvenience' consolation gift, even if something like just 20% off a Samsung accessory up to XYZ dollars off or something.

And definitely when people had to return the REPLACEMENT device, they should have offered a "we're sorry, here's XYZ dollars off any other Samsung phone device as a replacement, we are so sorry, super sorry, we'd suck your dick if it were legal" type deal.

But then to also tell people, "fuck you, we have your money, go eat shit fat american" when people want to return accessories they purchased with their defective Samsung phone, like a Samsung Gear watch or Samsung Gear VR, knowing damn well that they may not WANT to buy an S6 or something else, especially with no incentive to do so, is just a pure dick move.

And I've been accused of being a Samsung fanboi if anything, since I love my S6 Edge.

Just really bad customer service, and they deserve to get sued IMO, as the bottom line is all they seem to care about... unfortunately, 90% will go to a couple lawyers who will be set for life, and 10% to the actual people affected, but that's how our crappy system works.

First, somewhere between 35 and 92 out of millions is a fairly minuscule number of phones that could easily get past quality control. We are talking about thousandths of a %.

Second, I was offered a full refund and $25 credit with my carrier over the first recall phone, and I believe $100 if I went with another Samsung phone.

I agree that I should have been compensated a bit for my wasted time when I returned the replacement Note7. However the ATT store accepted for refund all accessories I purchased with the phone from them regardless of condition, and packaging. Including the screen protectors, of which two out of the three were used.

I also agree Samsung definitely should have accepted returns for the Gear VR's purchased direct from them.

Perhaps, the major US carriers are doing the right thing regardless of Samsung's wishes in this case. It's not like Samsung can tell them to fuck off.

First, somewhere between 35 and 92 out of millions is a fairly minuscule number of phones that could easily get past quality control. We are talking about thousandths of a %.

Second, I was offered a full refund and $25 credit with my carrier over the first recall phone, and I believe $100 if I went with another Samsung phone.

I agree that I should have been compensated a bit for my wasted time when I returned the replacement Note7. However the ATT store accepted for refund all accessories I purchased with the phone from them regardless of condition, and packaging. Including the screen protectors, of which two out of the three were used.

I also agree Samsung definitely should have accepted returns for the Gear VR's purchased direct from them.

Perhaps, the major US carriers are doing the right thing regardless of Samsung's wishes in this case. It's not like Samsung can tell them to fuck off.
92 as of September 16th, you really think this stopped happening a month ago magically?

They aren't coming out of this smelling like roses.
https://news.google.com/news/amp?ca...ding-damage-resisting-payment/amp/#pt0-117452

I just finally returned my Note 7 on Monday night. I was sad to see it go and bummed that there is nothing else out there I'd like to upgrade to. Hopefully a Note 8 comes out soon.

Back