Samsung Heir Sentenced to 5 Years Prison by South Korea Court

monkeymagick

[H]News
The billionaire heir to Samsung, Lee Jae-yong has been sentenced to 5 years in prison for offering bribes to the South Korea's former president and close associates. Those bribes were helping him maintain control of the electronics giant Samsung. His sentencing was halved as prosecutors were seeking a 12-year term. It has yet to be seen how much this will affect the tech industry, but the corruption scandal has caused quite a stir in South Korea.

The families who control South Korea's big conglomerates, known as chaebol, were lionized a generation ago for helping to turn South Korea into a manufacturing powerhouse put public tolerance for double standards that put them above the law has been rapidly diminishing.

Finally, justice against corruption... Somewhere on this planet...

So it's not just part of a power-play to seize the presidency by one of Park's competitors ?

In 1980, the President of South Korea ordered the military to suppress protests in GwangJu. They estimate around 600+ were killed. That was only 37 years ago.

And some people are thinking that this country has changed so much since then, that the people, upset about corruption, could depose a President with inspirational non-violent protest?

You don't think that maybe something else was moving around back there out of sight?

Maybe we are not seeing the entire picture.

And just to put some more perspective on things, the GwangJu massacre was under Chun Doo-Hwan who was the guy that had Park Jung-He assassinated, and Park Jung-He was the father of Park Geun-Hye who they just impeached.

OK, to be clear. You can believe that a peaceful protest encouraged the country's politicians to remove the President. Or you can believe that the competition gained the backing of the military and the police ensuring that the public protest became the perfect cover for a non-violent political coup.

Take your pick.

Last edited:
So it's not just part of a power-play to seize the presidency by one of Park's competitors ?

In 1980, the President of South Korea ordered the military to suppress protests in GwangJu. They estimate around 600+ were killed. That was only 37 years ago.

And some people are thinking that this country has changed so much since then, that the people, upset about corruption, could depose a President with inspirational non-violent protest?

You don't think that maybe something else was moving around back there out of sight?

Maybe we are not seeing the entire picture.

And just to put some more perspective on things, the GwangJu massacre was under Chun Doo-Hwan who was the guy that has Park Jung-He assassinated, and Park Jung-He was the father of Park Geun-Hye who they just impeached.

Nope. Everything is squeaky clean now. :p

I don't get it, how is political funding illegal?

People do it all the time here in 'Murica' and nobody goes to jail for it...

That's 'cause South Korea ain't 'murika :p

Though this particular issue has been going on for quite a long time now. Samsung is run by a pretty corrupt leadership team, just as I am sure most of the major corporations there are (why should Korea be any different than North America eh?). It's about time that some of them started doing the time for their crimes.

My wife is Korean and you know what she was most pissed off about?

It wasn't about the Samsung guy, or the way President Park's friend was making national decisions in the president's name, or embezzling those corporate payoffs to buy hotels in other countries.

My wife was most pissed off that when that ferryboat that sank, and all those kids drown, the president was having a face lift done in the middle of said situation. The Navy wanted to go save who they could, the local big shot wouldn't allow it. The kid's were bickering while people were dying and she had more important things to do than be involved. South Korea isn't a big country so this was certainly a big event. My wife and I think several million other Koreans thought so as well.

So I think this was much more in the minds of the people then corruption by big business and the government. Korea wasn't born yesterday, government corruption has been a thing long before now.

Spoken like a true American!

Here's the thing, your government is openly corrupt, to the point of comedy, and the South Korean government isn't.

It wasn't about the Samsung guy, or the way President Park's friend was making national decisions in the president's name, or embezzling those corporate payoffs to buy hotels in other countries.

My wife was most pissed off that when that ferryboat that sank, and all those kids drown, the president was having a face lift done in the middle of said situation. The Navy wanted to go save who they could, the local big shot wouldn't allow it. The kid's were bickering while people were dying and she had more important things to do than be involved. South Korea isn't a big country so this was certainly a big event. My wife and I think several million other Koreans thought so as well.

So I think this was much more in the minds of the people then corruption by big business and the government. Korea wasn't born yesterday, government corruption has been a thing long before now.

All I remember about President Park's friend was that she and the President were all part of a cult called "Church of Eternal Life" (which her father had founded) and that the friend was like a Korean Rasuptin (also, that said friend's kids became super wealthy as a result of his being "in" with President Park?

Yes, and somehow Park was supposed to know that the boat was going to roll over and thus postpone her surgery or leap off the table with half of her face flapping around at the news. :/

My wife is also Korean (I'm in Seoul..where are you?) and she too was upset about this, but frankly - though I didn't risk an argument by pointing this out - it was part of a far more generalized anger towards Park and if we're being honest, Koreans are relentless when they get a taste of blood, so Park was doomed from the outset of the scandal and other allegations were sure to follow. People who were more upset about the whole facelift thing then influence peddling and the sharing of/advising on top secret information really seem petty to me, but again, I wouldn't bother arguing the point with any Koreans.

Scandal...yes, it was, but small change compared to what's undoubtedly going on in here and in world governments that is yet undiscovered. Bush. Cheney and Rumsfeld are still free men somehow, for example. Yes, Park deserved what she got, but turn over enough rocks in anyone's garden and you'll find something. The ferry incident had nothing to do with Park and while it's unfortunate that she was so inextricably indisposed at the time, I hardly think she is indifferent to the lives of so many kids...who could be? No, I'm not a shill nor a supporter of Park, but I'm cynical enough not to paint her a darker color than any politician. The vast majority of them are high functioning, hyper-ambitious socio/psychopaths. The ferry incident was caused by greed, ignorance, selfishness and indifference on the part of many people...nothing new there.

They should let the DPRK have at him for a few years.

My wife, also Korean, was also furious about this. Especially given than the president turned down offers of assistance from the US while the kids were drowning.

Mine is Chinese, Spanish, Hawaiian, and a touch British Canadian. A winning combo in my book.

Like a young Phoebe Cates?
d7176f98dfe276d1646c46689f7eb0ba--hot-actresses-beautiful-actresses.jpg

2377e8e564011d8d14e78c276eb7f2f7--phoebe-cates-beautiful-ladies.jpg

c1656ce41c75ec9f612c22d58e2214c1--cates-phoebe-hot-actresses.jpg

;):D

........My wife is also Korean (I'm in Seoul..where are you?) and she too was upset about this, but frankly - though I didn't risk an argument by pointing this out - it was part of a far more generalized anger towards Park and if we're being honest, Koreans are relentless when they get a taste of blood, so Park was doomed from the outset of the scandal ..............

I have lived in Korea a total of 6 years, but I haven't lived in Korea since '97 and I no longer have a clear picture of the moods. The last I visited was in '07, my wife last lived there in '90. We have been married since 1983, so 34 years now. I want to go back there and work some day, but my wife has no desire to return other than perhaps to a vacation home.

I agree that Park was done as soon as this thing flared up, it's like an irresistible momentum thing.

And caddys83, I can't say I know how Philippine women are, but marrying a Korean girl has it's own set of challenges;

I think they all do, and all you can do is find the model with the issues your able to deal with (y)

Back