Samsung Has Video Of GTA Mod Taken Down

HardOCP News

[H] News
It seems that everyone except Samsung got a laugh out of this exploding Galaxy Note 7 mod for GTA. In fact, the company was so upset that it used a copyright complaint to have the original YouTube video taken down. Thanks to Jeff Tank for the heads up.

>.<

yea I can only imagine things are tense between samsung engineers and upper management.

Oh, come on! It was funny.

The mod would have only been better if it was changed to be volatile and randomly explode in your hand.

On that note, when there are failures like this, it makes me think that is more of a faulty component issue than a design issue.

Could even be something as simple as a tooling alignment or contamination issue.

But there is no real way to tell as you can't very well diagnose exactly what went wrong when you have a pile of melted electronic components.

Anybody remember the capacitor issue of yesteryear that affected pretty much every single OEM and 3rd part manufacturer of computer hardware?

That wasn't a design issue, it was a crap quality capacitor issue.

Last edited:
On that note, when there are failures like this, it makes me think that is more of a faulty component issue than a design issue.

It was a design issue. The curved edge of the phone front and back caused the positive and negative contacts of the battery to come in contact.

And to think....
They willingly chose to endure lawsuits, public shaming, delusion of brand, etc....
All because they wanted to integrate a shitty prismatic cell into a sealed phone.
Hey samsung, you could have saved yourself all that trouble, if you just made a damn removable battery
I am really hoping the FTC uses the note7 as an example and forces all manufacturers to make phones with removable batteries.

It was a design issue. The curved edge of the phone front and back caused the positive and negative contacts of the battery to come in contact.

That makes it even dumber. I don't pretend to know wtf was wrong, but they should have taken the recall way more seriously never mind actually putting some effort into their QC. And the video is effin hilarious, burning note 7's has become a part of the world psyche.

That makes it even dumber. I don't pretend to know wtf was wrong, but they should have taken the recall way more seriously never mind actually putting some effort into their QC. And the video is effin hilarious, burning note 7's has become a part of the world psyche.

Preachin to the choir man. Totally agree. Galaxy S7 owner here, and I pre-ordered. Even though this didn't affect me, I'll think twice before doing that again..

Wait what? Where did you hear this?

Looking at the teardown right now and it looks like that can not be the case.
Samsung Galaxy Note7 Teardown - iFixit

Edit: Actually looking stuff up, and this page explains it more:
Here's why Samsung Note 7 phones are catching fire

Sounds more like a assembly defect to me than a battery design defect. You have multiple issues going on here, the biggest it sounds like it was a problem on the manufacturing floor.

"What makes the Note 7 different: Samsung may have accidentally squeezed its batteries harder than it should.

According to a unpublished preliminary report sent to Korea's Agency for Technology and Standards (Samsung Blames Small Battery Flaw for Prompting Note 7 Recall), Samsung had a manufacturing error - Samsung pins explosive Galaxy Note 7 on battery flaw - that "placed pressure on plates contained within battery cells," which "brought negative and positive poles into contact."

"The defect was revealed when several contributing factors happened simultaneously, which included sub-optimized assembly process that created variations of tension and exposed electrodes due to insuffifcient insulation tape," a Samsung representative tells CNET.

Last edited:

The mod would have only been better if it was changed to be volatile and randomly explode in your hand.

Could even be something as simple as a tooling alignment or contamination issue.

But there is no real way to tell as you can't very well diagnose exactly what went wrong when you have a pile of melted electronic components.

Anybody remember the capacitor issue of yesteryear that affected pretty much every single OEM and 3rd part manufacturer of computer hardware?

Oh yes. We had a large handful of Foxconn motherboards go TU in a very short amount of time

Wait what? Where did you hear this?

Looking at the teardown right now and it looks like that can not be the case.
Samsung Galaxy Note7 Teardown - iFixit

Edit: Actually looking stuff up, and this page explains it more:
Here's why Samsung Note 7 phones are catching fire

Sounds more like a assembly defect to me than a battery design defect. You have multiple issues going on here, the biggest it sounds like it was a problem on the manufacturing floor.

If what you mean by assembly defect, a design issue.. yes that is what I said :)

At any rate, it wasn't a sole component here. It was a design issue which they could not fix, resulting in Samsung cancelling the product entirely.

Abuse the takedown system much? I hope he reposts it. That's clearly satire and should be covered under the first amendment. Nor should it violate the YouTube ToS.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you cannot use another's IP, in this case the name/likeness w/o prior consent/license. If he named if something different instead of the actual name then you would have a point.

That's a tale of corporate espionage and incomplete plans being stolen and used to produce faulty capacitors. crazy really.

This hasn't turned me off on buying a Samsung phone. Probably will again unless something better comes out I want.

Congress should mandate that all battery operated consumer devices brought into the US have removable batteries.

I'm honestly more angry about the BS video takedown than I am about the phone being defective. What a bunch of morons.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you cannot use another's IP, in this case the name/likeness w/o prior consent/license. If he named if something different instead of the actual name then you would have a point.

In some circumstances, yes. However the poster of the video is not necessarily the one who used the likeness and trademark to make the mod in the first place and would be covered under the DMCA simply because he's posting a video criticizing/reporting/demonstrating it. Additionally, there is the matter of parody which is also covered under fair use, which does not mean just because someone is butthurt that they can legally have videos(or other media) pulled just because they don't like it making fun of their product.

For example, the many people posting videos making fun of various aspects of the iphone 7. From the missing headphone jack to the earpods. Apple may not like it, but fair use allows people to make fun of it. The difference here is that companies(and other individuals) pull this crap all the time issuing false DMCA claims against smaller creators on youtube(and other places) knowing that they can effectively bully them into silence because most do not have the means of legally defending the claim due to the cost involved. This is why you don't see someone like Conan O'Brien or his employers getting sued when they do similar, because they have a fairly large company behind them that will use their in-house legal team to defend the false claims.

Simply put, it's abuse of the DMCA which is an ongoing problem with youtube.

technically two things. One it is not a mod of gta it is a composite of the image over the game, you can tell by the fingers... two if it is used to deface a trademark or decrease the value of trademark that is covered by both the original trademark laws and by the dcma... unfortunately for Samsung they would have to prove that turning a phone into thermite is not as dangerous as turning into fuel air bomb as the mod blows apart a car from thrity feet away... ten pounds of fairy bread or cemtex maybe could do that much damage to car that far away. I like samsung phones but I would think this is an issue they need to fix so maybe next time shoot a hole through a samsung battery with a nickle plated bullet to drive the positive terminal into the negative to show people the effect of improperly designed battery can due when it catches on fire, or toss lite cigatte on one to show that most people really don't understand how science works... but alumiinoxided or burning AlO2,3 mixed with FeO4 becomes something that can burn right through your leg or car's engine block for that matter but grounds out in a bucket of sand.

If what you mean by assembly defect, a design issue.. yes that is what I said :)

At any rate, it wasn't a sole component here. It was a design issue which they could not fix, resulting in Samsung cancelling the product entirely.

I don't see why they couldn't have fixed it.

1. They said the insulation tape was too thin... so use a thicker/better tape
2. Why must the positive and negative wires be so close together inside the battery? Seems to me like they could change this fairly easily. Are all phone batteries designed this way?

I don't see why they couldn't have fixed it.

1. They said the insulation tape was too thin... so use a thicker/better tape
2. Why must the positive and negative wires be so close together inside the battery? Seems to me like they could change this fairly easily. Are all phone batteries designed this way?

You see similar designs in most li-ion / Li-poly batteries.

It probably could be fixed but would require a battery change and refurb program not to mention possibly a change to the phone case. All this could take 6 months to get to shelves if expedited. That is halfway into the next phone. Top it with the bad PR from this, probably cheaper to can it and try again with 'note 8' or whatever it will be called.

It seems that everyone except Samsung got a laugh out of this exploding Galaxy Note 7 mod for GTA. In fact, the company was so upset that it used a copyright complaint to have the original YouTube video taken down. Thanks to Jeff Tank for the heads up.
It clearly falls into fair use under criticism.

They have to protect their IP or they lose it. I don't want to live in a world where anyone can just ripoff exploding phone technology without spending millions on R&D.

Back