Samsung has decided to adopt OLED tech...

Samsung is investing close to 11 billion dollars (yes billion) into OLED tech to produce Qdot OLED based TVs starting in 2021. It seems OLED tech is going to be around for quite a while and Micro LED tech is still too damn expensive to be feasible for consumer TV production.

Now that all the big players are going OLED, regular LCD panels are probably going to be relegated to the lower end budget tier of the TV spectrum. On the plus side, OLED panels will be coming down in price quite a bit in the coming years due to competition. LG has had a nice long run, but will probably no longer rule the roost once Quantum Dot tech is baked in with OLED panel tech. Still love my LG OLED though - I've had it for over a year now with absolutely zero issues beside making me cry from time to time at just how freakin beautiful the picture is. :D

https://www.darkhorizons.com/samsung-spends-big-for-oled-switch/

Last edited:
Samsung is investing close to 11 billion dollars (yes billion) into OLED tech to produce Qdot OLED based TVs starting in 2021. It seems OLED tech is going to be around for quite a while and Micro LED tech is still too damn expensive to be feasible for consumer TV production.

Now that all the big players are going OLED, regular LCD panels are going to be relegated to lower budget tier TV end of the spectrum. On the plus side, OLED panels are probably going to be coming down in price quite a bit in the coming years due to competition. LG has had a nice long run, but will probably no longer rule the roost once Quantum Dot technology is baked into OLED. Still love my LG OLED though - I've had it for over a year now with absolutely zero issues beside making me cry from time to time at just how freakin beautiful the picture is. :D

https://www.darkhorizons.com/samsung-spends-big-for-oled-switch/

Always seemed inevitable that they would try again. Back in about 2012 Samsung Also "Launched" 55" OLED TVs. Though I don't know if any ever got into consumer hands.

Should be exciting -- they launched the QLED halfassery to make up for their inability to produce larger OLED panels at volume rates, and now it seems that they're ready to jump back in.

LG has had a nice long run, but will probably no longer rule the roost once Quantum Dot tech is baked in with OLED panel tech.

Samsung doesn't own 'Quantom Dot' tech; LG could / would use it (as may anyone else) if it were fit for the purpose. Mostly, the 'quantom dot' technology as it relates to color is a means of simplifying the backlight with respect to the spectrum of light that it must cover, which you probably know, and thus may not even be applicable to LGs OLED implementation.

The summary says they'll start investing in 2021 but the article said they won't start producing them for 4 years. But who knows how accurate that estimate is.

I don't see how using quantum dots in oled is anything more than marketing at this point.

Samsung is finally realizing that they can't make their emissive QLED tech work, and are giving up and going OLED for large displays.

Of course, because they bet it all on NOT OLED FOR TVs, it's gong to take them years to catch up with the competition.

Last edited:
Reactions: N4CR
like this
Need to copy this Samsung Video for future reminders for Samsung:

Samsung should remember the old saying: People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

Samsung is the number one producer of OLED Phone, Tablet, and Latop screens...

Need to copy this Samsung Video for future reminders for Samsung:

Samsung should remember the old saying: People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

Samsung is the number one producer of OLED Phone, Tablet, and Latop screens...

LG got around this issue by using WOLED, We shall see how Samsung tackles it.

LG got around this issue by using WOLED, We shall see how Samsung tackles it.

LG still has burn in. All OLEDs do.

It's funny to see Samsung, one of the worlds premier OLED makers, beating the OLED burn in drum, just because they temporarily don't sell one in this exact size.

Back