Samsung Has Announced Plans to Scrap Plasma TVs

I wouldn't be surprised to see the plasma production lines get sold to a second-tier outfit. Seiki plasmas in the future ?

Happy owner of a Panny GT25 and ST55 plasmas and couldnt be happier. The problem is now we as owners of fantastic sets like mine have no upgrade or even sidegrade path. If we have to buy another tv its going to be a downgrade. I go to peoples houses and they brag and boast about how cheap their 70 inch tv was. Between all that soap opera effect shit and that fake ass refresh rate lcd's do, I cant stand it. But people love that shit when the tv is guessing where frames go.

GT has been running strong for 3 years and ST I just purchased in Jan of this year. Going to be a sad ass day when I have to replace one of those.

I'm gonna be super sad whenever I inevitably have to replace my plasma tv. It's been so nice and you have to spend twice as much money to get an equivalently sized LCD that doesn't look like trash :(

Glad I grabbed a VT60 this holiday season glorious picture I love how people come over and say how do I turn it on.... then I move the mouse onto the display.... oh it is on....

I forsaw this shit going down just like CRTs the 2013 plasmas will ne the FW900s of this generation. I just hope OLED gets real before my vt60 starts to degrade.

Dam I was hoping 4k plasmas would be a thing for the few remaining manufacturers. I am not planning on buying anything that isn't 4k anymore and I was thinking it would be plasma :(

I dont know for sure but I have suspected for about a year or so that something made plasma too difficult to scale down pixels. And the 4K shift was what finally pushed plasma makers to give up.

Now what will people do who loved the dark screen, burn in, inefficient, and unreliability of plasma?

Now what will people do who loved the dark screen, burn in, inefficient, and unreliability of plasma?

shut_up_re_some_more_wallpapers-s1024x800-97159-580.jpg

I'll play the troll game:

Plasma is not "inefficient". The big huge ones cost about $60 a year, if used a few hours every single day. Sure, that isn't the $15 usage cost of the very best large LED TVs, but it is just fine. Especially considering the superior image quality, motion handling, and viewing angles.

Every screen type has problems/tradeoffs. Burn-in was basically eliminated by Panasonic, Pioneer, and Samsugn, like 7 years ago. It still exists and can become a legitimate issue----after extreme usage circumstances. But for normal use; even news watchers, is not a real problem. My LG plasma has image retention issues. It's characteristic of the brand. Yes, even this top of the line model from 2011. It's never been a real problem. Any retention clears up within minutes of full screen video or break-in slides. I use it as a computer monitor for gaming.

Unreliable? show me an mass produced electronics device that doesn't have lemons?

Yes, plasma is generally less bright than LCD. Often not the best choice for a very well lit room. Until LG made their 2011 models and Samsung made their 2013 models, which output plenty of light.

Burn-in is an old wives' tale, as it hasn't been an issue with plasma sets for several years - my 2008 Sammy has image retention that clears with the built-in white / grayscale screens, while the two 2011 Sammy's have zero retention issues.
I don't even know what you're talking about with the dark screen, unless you mean perfect black levels? I don't know anyone else that has ever owned a plasma, so I can't comment on reliability beyond what I've experienced with mine. I don't need to run the heat during the winter thanks to plasma :D

Glad I grabbed a VT60 this holiday season glorious picture I love how people come over and say how do I turn it on.... then I move the mouse onto the display.... oh it is on....

Yup, grabbed my VT60 60" from BB the week (or month?) after they declared them discontinued. Grabbed it for $1300, was marked clearance of $1500 and when I asked if I could buy it, the guy disappeared, came back and told me the new price, woohoo! Now its worth damn near 5k!

I still have my GT10 from back in 09, no burn in, still a wonderful looking TV.

As far as aesthetics goes, my GT10 sure is an eyesore with the plastic but you'd be hard pressed to find a TV that is any better looking then the ZT or VT Panasonics. Or heavier ... god these things weight a lot...

I have high hopes with OLED, its not a terrible picture but they don't produce nearly as natural of a picture as Plasma does. Welp I hope these two TV's last me a while! 4k who?! :D

When I get back to mainland I'm going to go around all the Sears/BB's/B&M stores to see if they have any VT's or Sammy's in stock on cheap prices and load up I think.

Shit I can probably make 20k selling the TV's I have right now since they are all discontinued...

Would be nice if there was a company willing to keep advancing the technology. There won't be anything that compares to them until OLED comes around at a respectable price.

I've had 4 plasma TVs and 3 LCDs. It's not up for debate on what had the better picture.

This seems to apply to everything nowadays. Style over substance. From music, TV's to voting.
It's the age of the uninformed. :( A culture in decline.

Except for the fact that every TV will default to "bright as a rainbow on the sun" mode with no contrast or color accuracy.

Color accuracy sure, but oled always has infinite contrast because the pixels can individually turn off

lol nice troll post.

Anyone that has a current Gen plasma doesn't have any of those issues so think 2011 and on. The people that post the stuff like above maybe used a plasma tv in 2005 and still think the new generation is like this so your just uninformed.

So glad I bought my Samsung PN64E8000 last year Best picture on any tv i've owned.

I have a friend who is a professional installer he recommends plasma to all his high end clients. Says the picture quality still can't be beat by anything LCD/LED currently on the market.

What gets me is that tech experts do not know the difference between led and oled around here. Led is just a backlight, oled is the whole thing, no LCD at all.

I liked plasma picture over lcd, but every plasma I looked at easily glared under light.
Now if I were going to build a home theater in the basement with few windows, I'd go plasma, but since I actually like my lights every other room gets a LCD.

no US and EU power reqs killed Plasmas
they use WAY more power then LCDs

to be fair the DVR that sits under that 270watt plasma pulls more power on average over the year then the TV will.

The sad thing is that even though OLED pixels have way faster pixel transitions, they will still have motion blur thanks to sample-and-hold. Thank God there are still folks out there willing to support CRT's. I'd love to get me a high-end CRT projector that could go over 1080p. :D

I liked plasma picture over lcd, but every plasma I looked at easily glared under light.
Now if I were going to build a home theater in the basement with few windows, I'd go plasma, but since I actually like my lights every other room gets a LCD.
This. Way too much natural light in my place for a plasma unless I did all my TV viewing after 8pm. I went with an LG 47GA7900, instead. I think the PQ is quite good at any time of the day. My next TV purchase will be a 4K in a couple of years.

Would be nice if there was a company willing to keep advancing the technology.

Sadly, there are only companies that are willing to keep advancing the gimmicks.

I'm sick that I didn't buy one of the Panasonics when I had the chance. My "old" display is still working but it's probably not going to last until OLED is ready, if that ever even happens.

I wonder if Plasma could scale to 4k resolutions at a reasonable price...

I loved the look of plasmas, but burn-in really was an issue for people like me who use TVs as computer screen. The last few generations gotten to the point where it wasn't something to worry about for typical users, but it could never be eliminated.

Oh well. I'm happy with my DLP projector for movies.

no US and EU power reqs killed Plasmas
they use WAY more power then LCDs

Who buys a giant TV, of which all plasmas qualify and then nit picks over $40 per year in energy? Oh haha what was I thinking Americans do. Sorry I will fork over less than $5 bucks per month so I can have the best picture.

LCDs have their place but crying about energy usage when you are buying a giant TV isn't even a first world problem its a stupid world problem. And the governments are a joke running around putting the problem on makers of products rather then just taxing the energy itself and letting the consumer decide.

I tried a nice Samsung plasma, and couldn't get over the high pitched whine it had. I went through 3 of them in an exchange with best buy before I just got a Vizio 60" LCD, which has actually been a really nice TV to us.

I personally wont miss the plasma after my experience with the constant whine. We also used them in several places at work and the burn in on them is god awful, albeit they are on 24/7 so its bound to happen.

1 bad product doesn't make a whole line. I can probably guess exactly which Samsung plasma you used. Yes they had 1 with noise problems. Also it was possible to damage plasmas if you drove with them and caused the glass to separate and this would result in them making a high pitched noise. This was often the fault of laying them down. And it was often done over an over by the same customer whom disregarded the warning to keep them upright.

As for work. sure you should never put a plasma in a situation where it will be used as a largely static display for information at work. Heck I saw LCDs burn in at an airport. I always find it mind boggling how plasmas would get such a bad name from people using them in an environment they just don't work for. The question is why wasn't someone fired or sued for putting plasmas in the wrong place and why haven't they been replaced?

If you want the best picture and motion, plasma, if you want care free you have to make compromises for LCD.

Just for clarification on long term usage, newer plasma's don't retain that image retention like they used to, it can be fixed and it only happens in very worst case scenarios.

Long term usage I'll still prefer plasma. On our floor we have 3 high end Plasma monitors on 24/7, never had a problem. In another room we have 4 LCD monitors that are on 24/7, two of which are dead because someone accidentally turned them off and the board fried (click, click, click, click .... psssss).

I'd rather have the plasmas after seeing this happen. All are LG brand.

The high-end plasmas had anti-glare screens (real ones, not the fake ones claimed by the low-end ones) that kept glare to a minimum while still maintaining the excellent picture quality. But those were costly. The technology probably would have come down in price over time though if plasmas remained popular and competitive over this LCD garbage.

The high-end plasmas had anti-glare screens (real ones, not the fake ones claimed by the low-end ones) that kept glare to a minimum while still maintaining the excellent picture quality. But those were costly. The technology probably would have come down in price over time though if plasmas remained popular and competitive over this LCD garbage.

Well I'm a bit tight fisted with my money and always am looking for a deal.
I'll take a 48" 120hz 1080p lcd @ $350 over a plasma with a slightly better picture and no glare @ $900.
If the manufacturers really wanted plasma to take off, they would have went anti-glare on every model, not just the high ends.

Got on the Panny ZT60 60 inch boat in Feb and love it!!!!!!! It's like watching movies I have seen before in a whole new way! It's bright got no wine no burn in and it's less then an inch thick. LG leading the way in oleds. 3000 by next year for 55 inch.

You will never see a 4K plasma.

That's not a useful answer. How do you know that? What I'm asking is whether or not there's really a physical reason you couldn't do it. The article seems to indicate that manufacturers ran into problems scaling plasma to 4k, but it's vague on details like most press releases posing as tech news.

If it is possible I can imagine LG or somebody keeping a line going as an ultra-high-end prestige product like Sony did with OLED displays for a few years. I've read that Panasonic could have kept their Kuro plasma line going if not for competition from cheaper plasmas.

The amazing thing about OLED is that when it becomes mainstream, even total idiots who are completely clueless about how to calibrate their display will still have a great picture. There seems to be no way to make an OLED display look bad.

Regardless of the the so-called inifinite contrast ratio, incorrect gamma and brightness settings can still make things look horrible, making things either too washed out or too dark.. Shadows and other dark areas can still look unnatural and you should also consider that most videos and movies don't have true blacks, either due to the video material itself or the source player.

Most glossy HDTVs, regardless of whether its LCD or plasma has significant glare. The big difference is that LCD screens are generally bright enough to the point where its not particularly noticeable. The bright colors onscreen will often over power the glare and even the blacks on the screen, which unlike plasmas are still backlit, aides in the perceived reduction of glare.

That's not a useful answer. How do you know that? What I'm asking is whether or not there's really a physical reason you couldn't do it. The article seems to indicate that manufacturers ran into problems scaling plasma to 4k, but it's vague on details like most press releases posing as tech news.

If it is possible I can imagine LG or somebody keeping a line going as an ultra-high-end prestige product like Sony did with OLED displays for a few years. I've read that Panasonic could have kept their Kuro plasma line going if not for competition from cheaper plasmas.

Kuro was Pioneer, they sold their plasma patents to Panasonic. Everyone is dropping plasma because it doesn't make add much money as lcd technology based tv's. I don't know about Samsung but Panasonic was losing money on their plasma line up.

I am sad that DLP got killed off. I have an 82" unit and although it is thick (about 12" at base), the picture quality is awesome. No artifacts or blocking on the screen. It is about as close to my old RP CRT as you can get, just much brighter.

I bought it 4 years ago for $2800. It's still hard to get a 80+ flat screen for that price. I finally had to replace the bulb this year. The old had 9000+ hours on it and it was still working, albeit very dim. Cost me $100 to do it and the screen is nice and bright and clean again.

my vt60 was returned due to yellow staining issues, and the sony lcd I have right now, imho is more enjoyable.

the vt60 got image retention even though I was semi anal about it. But I watched the morning news for ~30 mins a day. Ater 2 month, image rendition. And whites? Do plasmas know what white is? Watching winter sports was terrible.

I have no problem with Image retention on my Samsung E8000 plasma and I watched the winter games and hockey on it and no problems with White either.

Did you calibrate your tv?

The main problem is pixel pitch.

The smallest pixel pitch on mass produced plasma was .48mm. on a 42-inch screen. a 65-inch 1080p screen has a pixel pitch of .747mm. to get 4k on a 65-inch you would need a pitch of .32mm, or 33% smaller than the 42-inch screen. Not to mention you would need more power to get the same brightness as a 1080p screen. For the sales that plasma is getting it's not worth it.

"Thin" is what killed Rear Projection DLP as well, right about the time RGB LED & Laser (read no lamp to replace and no color wheel to cause even the hint of rainbow effect) were starting to challenge Plasma for color and black levels.

My Sammy LED DLP is doing fine, but I suppose it won't hurt to pickup a 60" plasma before they disappear.

Back