samsung hard drives

v8_h8r

Gawd
ive always been a western digital maxtor kinda guy but a 120gb samsung 7200rpm 8mb cache has come to me for 50$ never used. ne one had ne problems w/ these aka ibm pos or r they good give me some feedback yo

had my 160gig samsung ide 7200 rpm drive for approx 3 months now
use it for data mp3s movies etc etc
no problems with it, fast quiet

Just check out StorageReview.com. They've got a reliability survey you can look at.
The survey says they're not as good as some other models, but no, they're no a total POS like IBM 60GXP and 75GXP disks.

BTW, the Hitachi/IBM 180GXP and 120GXP models are rated pretty well. Until the 60/75 fiasco IBM was actually considered one of the best manufacturers. The problem was a design defect, not sloppy manufacturing. Of course, I still haven't bought an IBM drive since that happened and I had 2 60GXPs puke on me at work. (f'n Dell. Gave me a DeathStar)

I'm a Seagate SCSI/FC-AL fan now. It doesn't actually have anything to do with Seagate drives being better (though they do make good drives), I just really like Seatools Enterprise. Parallel diagnostic run on 10 HDs at once... mmm.

Personally I have no experience with Samsung HDs.

v8_h8r said:
ne one had ne problems w/ these aka ibm pos or r they good give me some feedback yo

Samsung drive's aren't IBM drives. It was Hitachi that bought out the IBM hard drives.

Any new HDD made by Samsung, Hitachi or Seagate is fast, silent and reliable.

Maxtor and WD HDDs are pretty much the exact opposite in my experience.

I have some old, el-cheapo Samsung 6-8 GB HDs, and they all still run. Years old - I mean, they came with some K6/2 workstations purchased in 1998 or so.

I'm currently shopping around for some mass-data storage, and if Seagate wasn't my preferred (yeah, there aren't any Seagates in my main rig, I know) and the 'egg didn't have SATA 200GB 8MBs for about $100 or so, Samsung's new drives are really appealing in price/storage, and from my experience with their drives in general, I doubt they'll have any reliability issues.

I have had 3x160G samsungs for about 2 weeks now. Very fast and quiet. I am pleased so far. Beats the crap out of my 120G maxtors.

Enjoy!

Doctor X

I bought a 120 gig serial ATA hdd recently to replace 2 80 gig seagates in RAID 0. (seagates were a year old and died from overheating) It performs great, loading times in far cry are about the same, but its a lot quieter.

Back