Samsung Going Down...to 7nm LPP with EUV

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
Samsung is announcing its move to 11nm (Low Power Plus) FinFET on its roadmap. 11LPP gives up to 15% better performance while knocking 10% off the chip size. All this coming in 2H18. At the same time Samsung has said it will be moving to 7nm LPP with Extreme Ultra Violet production in Q217 as well.

“Samsung has added the 11nm process to our roadmap to offer advanced options for various applications,” said Ryan Lee, Vice President and Head of Foundry Marketing at Samsung Electronics. “Through this, Samsung has completed a comprehensive process roadmap spanning from 14nm to 11nm, 10nm, 8nm, and 7nm in the next three years.”

I'm curious if zen2 will be on a LPP node as well, we may see 4.3 ghz on the next LPP node, if it's not LPP then any clock is up for discussion :D

But it seems intel seems to struggle for the crown, they lost the largest chip maker and may loose the node race...
It is some weird times at Intel I bet.

Let's hope they throw money at R&D and bring their best and maybe we'll see some serious bad ass chips in late 2018 :D

Maybe intel should get samsung to make its chips since they seem to be stuck at 14nm.

I'm curious if zen2 will be on a LPP node as well, we may see 4.3 ghz on the next LPP node, if it's not LPP then any clock is up for discussion :D

But it seems intel seems to struggle for the crown, they lost the largest chip maker and may loose the node race...
It is some weird times at Intel I bet.

Let's hope they throw money at R&D and bring their best and maybe we'll see some serious bad ass chips in late 2018 :D

Zen2 is being built using a ibm 7nm process tech that was picked up when gf bought ibm's fabs

Its strange to see Intel floundering on 10nm so maybe they should skip it and go right to 7nm.

If they do that, then they have to tell investors they blew a billion or two and will get nothing for it and investors dont like that. Usually ends up with a big massive upper management shakeup.

Lucky 7's Baby!

Its strange to see Intel floundering on 10nm so maybe they should skip it and go right to 7nm.

The complexity of Intel's lineup, vs what samsung's offering is apples and oranges. You can't just say 7nm is 7nm. Also to take into consideration is that anything under 14nm or so is infinitesimally more complicated than any node shrink before it. Where you start getting down to spacing out paths by the atom, if you don't have it pass testing you simply can't move on, no matter how much money you throw at it. The number of redesigns going on right now to push the envelope for smaller die size is possible more than the combination of all of human existence up to this point, factoring in all the cell phone chips, gpus, memory, and cpus proper. There is just so much demand right now from virtually every market (cars, tvs, computers, phones, cameras, ect) driving the quest for less power and more efficiency.

Extreme UV litography? Sounds we at the end of silicon in terms of size at least. Time to start doping some more.

Maybe intel should get samsung to make its chips since they seem to be stuck at 14nm.
Nah, we were abused long enough by intel, let others move up and see what they bring.

They could just rename 14nm to 7nm or 1nm.

Look at Samsung, 11nm only improves 10% over 14nm. Says it all.

Zen2 is being built using a ibm 7nm process tech that was picked up when gf bought ibm's fabs

I sure dont hope so. Then Zen2 will cost more than they can sell it for ;)

IBM never cared about yields. And the 7nm is another PR bogus node. Also Glofo have 3 cancelled nodes in a row.

Shintai, as if your posting wasn't bad enough simply on merit, ending every single post with some creepy winky smiley is weird as hell. Stop winking at dudes all the time.

With this node inflation I doubt even 7nm from Samsung matches 10nm from Intel. Maybe Samsung 5nm can reach that.

With this node inflation I doubt even 7nm from Samsung matches 10nm from Intel. Maybe Samsung 5nm can reach that.

10nm from Intel is just a piece of paper, might as well be the thickness of the paper.

10nm from Intel is just a piece of paper, might as well be the thickness of the paper.

Right, that's why both 10nm(Early 1028) and 10nm+(late 2018) chips are taped out and getting ready. :rolleyes:

Back