Samsung Gear VR comfort compared to Rift?

viivo

[H]ard|Gawd
I was unable to fully immerse myself into VR when I had an Oculus Rift due to the poor display quality and extreme discomfort from wearing it over glasses.

It's a few years later now and my tablets are having trouble streaming high quality video, leaving my Note 8 as the only mobile device I have that can stream and decode current media, but the screen is too small for movies. I assume the GearVR could help with that. I really enjoyed the Rift's media player apps that put you in a virtual environment and allowed you to move and resize the screen, but I want to know first if the Gear is better over glasses than the Rift.

Last edited:
I was unable to fully immerse myself into VR when I had an Oculus Rift due to the poor display quality and extreme discomfort from wearing it over glasses.

It's a few years later now and my tablets are having trouble streaming high quality video, leaving my Note 8 as the only mobile device I have that can stream and decode current media, but the screen is too small for movies. I assume the GearVR could help with that. I really enjoyed the Rift's media player apps that put you in a virtual environment and allowed you to move and resize the screen, but I want to know first if the Gear is better over glasses than the Rift.
https://widmovr.com/product/oculus-rift-prescription-lenses-adapter/

Much easier and better.

Reactions: viivo
like this
For viewing movies, I'd recommend the daydream VR actually. Its more comfortable over my glasses than the Gear VR (YMMV) and putting in the phone feels much more convenient in my opinion-- on the gear you have to remove your phone case, pull off the hard plastic cover on the viewer, slide the phone onto the USB-C adapter at an angle, and then snap it in place. On the Daydream there's just a flap that flips open and you can put your phone in (still better to remove case for longer sessions due to thermals). I know it doesn't seem like much but I found I use the Daydream about twice as much as the Gear VR when I had it even though its not even an extra minute of fiddling with the Gear VR. At least for me, the Daydream VR was much more comfortable than the Gear VR which admittedly did feel better than the Rift.

For the best visual experience watching videos on a virtual big screen, I wouldn't recommend the RIFT due to the low res screen. I'd probably go for the Daydream VR over the RIFT widmo lens if your main intersest is watching videos. That said, buying a Widmovr prescription lens for your RIFT might help when you want to use it for games. I've owned a number of VR devices including the Gear, Daydream, Oculus Go, Oculus Rift, Lenovo Explorer, and finally the Samsung Odyssey+. For my PC VR needs, I'm using the Odyssey+ and a widmovr glasses adapter. That combination is the best display quality currently available for us very nearsighted people (same res as the Vive Pro but as many people know Samsung makes the best OLED screens at the moment).

Last edited:
like this
If you're interest is in movies and TV you'll be much better off with an Oculus Go both due to vastly improved lenses, screens, and comfort when compared to the latest GearVR.

like this
I have both a rift and the gear vr for a gs8+ and it is not too bad with glasses. At the very least it does not try to take the glasses with the unit/ or squeeze your face when you pull the headset off and on. The Oculus Go might be a better all in one device, but honestly I think it is silly to invest more than 50-100 in something that has the same internals as the later gen galaxy's, unless you need to not burn your phone battery.

like this
Thanks for the replies. Fortunately the Gear fits perfectly over my glasses, though with the focus wheel I can come close to my corrected vision without them. It's well suited to my purpose of occasionally watching media. Since I have no interest in VR games or "experiences" a more expensive headset would feel like a waste.

Back