Samsung GDDR6 in Production

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
10nm GDDR6 is now in production by Samsung. These ICs will be 16Gb density which is twice what we saw with 20nm GDDR5. Per-pin data increases to 18Gbps which doubles the 8Gbps rate we see with GDDR5. Wow! This represents a huge increase and depending on where GDDR6 falls out on pricing (double yield for Samsung too), this could certainly hold HBM2 at bay a lot longer, but I guess good for Samsung since it builds both technologies. Interestingly, which Samsung is calling this a "10-nanometer class process technology," its does mention this in the notes: "10nm-class denotes a process technology node somewhere between 10 and 19 nanometers." Thanks Blah Blah.

Samsung Electronics, the world leader in advanced memory technology, today announced that it has started mass production of the industry’s first 16-gigabit (Gb) Graphics Double Data Rate 6 (GDDR6) memory for use in advanced graphics processing for gaming devices and graphics cards as well as automotive, network and artificial intelligence systems.

Who cares? Density and data rate doubled, that's all I care about.
Sure that's great, but I don't like details being obfuscated, but to each their own.

Edit: or let's put it another way: why bother with it all if you're going to obscure it? Just don't bother telling people what it is. Clearly most don't care anyway, who wants facts anymore?

Last edited:
...i wonder if the 10nm gddr6 can be switched out with the previous node? Would there be any measurable gains just by using the faster memory or are gpu's somewhat tied to the slower memory? If not, then as soon as the card makers get enough in house, newer faster video cards will be on the way......by simply replacing gddr5 with gddr6.

...i wonder if the 10nm gddr6 can be switched out with the previous node? Would there be any measurable gains just by using the faster memory or are gpu's somewhat tied to the slower memory? If not, then as soon as the card makers get enough in house, newer faster video cards will be on the way......by simply replacing gddr5 with gddr6.
With the cryptomining craze going on the grfx card will still cost you as much as a brand new rig.....its just going to bolster price gouging even more.

With the cryptomining craze going on the grfx card will still cost you as much as a brand new rig.....its just going to bolster price gouging even more.

Bitcoin is now below $10,000 heading for $5000 soon there wilkl be a glut of used graphics cards on the market and new prices should fall dramatically in the next 3 to 4 months.

10nm class? Why do they let their marketing department do this kind of crap? (Yeah, yeah so the can lie and maybe fool some, just annoying IMHO).

They do the "10nm class" BS because it really like Intel's 14++nm, at least Intel doesn't say it's 10nm when it's really not. They do they say crap with TVs, 55" class TV my ass. It's really 54".

Reactions: WhoMe
like this
Honestly- the stupidity of mining may actually end up benefiting us once the "craze" is over and this all crashes and burns. Lined the pockets of nvidia and amd, gave them a reason to invest in r&d and accelerated the roadmap. Just sucks that tools will be hanging on to get rich quick for a couple more years and it's going to be an abused aftermarket market. Oh well been so busy still fine with my 980ti, maybe I'll take a chance when the aforementioned crash happens on a raped gpu.

Back