Samsung Galaxy Tab on Video

HardOCP News

[H] News
C|Net got a little hands on time with the Samsung Galaxy Tab and, surprisingly enough, the 7” Android powered device looks promising. Here’s a ten minute video of the Galaxy Tab in action.

Did he say it would only be available through a phone provider? I want something android like this without the data...

Saw in some other places where the Galaxy Tab will be around $900. I say that is too much.

Pretty coo, but my Samsung Captivate (Galaxy S) does exactly all the same stuff, and it has the Super AMOLED screen, so this is just a larger version of that with an LCD screen and HDMI output apparently... I'm still waiting on Froyo ugh, rumors are September

I guess its cool though, will make a nice hand held device, I think they also need to make one with a larger screen though to compete with iPad better, and of course price it competitively, this 7" device needs to be half the price of the ipad IMO

Saw in some other places where the Galaxy Tab will be around $900. I say that is too much.

If it's that much, it's DOA. No way. It has to be cheaper than ipad to be competitive considering its size.

If it was carrier natural, had a 720p screen, and not terribly expensive I'd be interested in it a bit. My laptop isn't heavy, but I'd still like something smaller to carry around when I'm away from home.

"The Tab sucks."
"The Tab is the best thing ever."
"Smart phones suck."
"Smart phones are the best thing ever."
"The iPad sucks."
"The iPad is the best thing ever."
"Twitter and Facebook sucks."
"Twitter and Facebook are the best thing ever."

/thread

"Your reply sucks!" ;)

Eh...I want a tablet, mostly for use on the go or around the house when I don't want to take my laptop with me. This just doesn't look like it will fit the bill though, needs a larger screen, and not to be tied to a carrier, I don't want ANOTHER data plan, let alone a capped one.. I can just tether the damn thing if I don't have a wifi somewhere, or make my own hotspot.

Did he say it would only be available through a phone provider? I want something android like this without the data...

From what I've read, this is not "possible" (in quotes on purpose, keep reading). To get access to the Google apps store, the unit must be linked to a data service. They could make an Android table without the phone provider, but then it would not be able to load any apps. That surely would be a kill shot for an item like this. No apps, no likey...

Eh...I want a tablet, mostly for use on the go or around the house when I don't want to take my laptop with me. This just doesn't look like it will fit the bill though, needs a larger screen, and not to be tied to a carrier, I don't want ANOTHER data plan, let alone a capped one.. I can just tether the **** thing if I don't have a wifi somewhere, or make my own hotspot.

I want a Tablet too, I want a device that doesn't require me opening it like a netbook, I want it to be "instant on" and I want mostly the same abilities a Netbook can offer, but in a slim single form factor that starts up instantly, and I don't want it to be too big, yet big enough to actually get work done on it when I travel.

I want a Tablet too, I want a device that doesn't require me opening it like a netbook, I want it to be "instant on" and I want mostly the same abilities a Netbook can offer, but in a slim single form factor that starts up instantly, and I don't want it to be too big, yet big enough to actually get work done on it when I travel.

Agreed.

These devices are really neat, I can't wait to see what they have in a couple of years.

i would like to see a girl handle this to make a phone call.......... using both hands to hold the phone to the ear.

just picture that

Eh? They're supposed to be $200-$300 dollars (well pending final pricing, and the estimates are from euro prices). It would first be released in Italy, then elsewhere in Europe. Vodafone would be the first.

Shit on it all you want but Marketplace has plenty of apps and games.

I disagree. I've had a Captivate since launch and have uninstalled 95% of the apps and games I've put on there. The Captivate is my first smartphone, and I never really played around with the Iphone, so I can't compare Android's marketplace to the Iphone's; I just feel like the Android marketplace is lacking.

If this tablet isn't cheaper than an Ipad, it will fail; no doubt about it. Why would anyone pay more for a device with a smaller, lesser quality screen that requires a data plan? For this to sell it has to come in at a price point at least $100-200 cheaper than the 16g WiFi Ipad; unless people are just that against Apple that they will overpay for this just to avoid giving them their money.

The fact that it requires a data plan is already lost them one sale. I just got a Captivate w/ a 2-year contract, Im not paying for another data plan, especially when Im on WiFi almost everywhere I go.

I disagree. I've had a Captivate since launch and have uninstalled 95% of the apps and games I've put on there. The Captivate is my first smartphone, and I never really played around with the Iphone, so I can't compare Android's marketplace to the Iphone's; I just feel like the Android marketplace is lacking.

The marketplace has a lot of good apps, but the layout of it is terrible.

From what I've read, this is not "possible" (in quotes on purpose, keep reading). To get access to the Google apps store, the unit must be linked to a data service. They could make an Android table without the phone provider, but then it would not be able to load any apps. That surely would be a kill shot for an item like this. No apps, no likey...

I don't think that's true at all. Remember the Nexus One? Google sold it directly unlocked and without a plan (still do, actually, if you sign up as a developer and buy it as a "dev" phone). The marketplace isn't tied to service at all. I've got a Moto Droid at work that isn't activated but the marketplace still works just fine.

The minute they add a video IN port that allows me to use it as a second monitor when, I'm buying one. Imagine being able to use it as a storage device and a second monitor when not being used as a tablet. When you're ready to head out of town, you just yank it out of its holder/charger and press a button to transform it from secondary monitor to full featured tablet PC.

That... would....be..... awesome.

I'm worried that this is going to be another device marketed as a "smartphone" and so will cost like $1000 without a cellphone contract.

Not all of us think paying $60-$100 a month for a contract cellphone is a good idea. That doesn't mean we don't want cool gadgets.

I don't think that's true at all.

According to this link that say it is:
http://gigaom.com/2010/04/04/google-is-missing-an-android-opportunity-on-non-smartphones/

Android is growing like crazy on smartphones — and stagnating everywhere else. That’s because Google is keeping its app store off all Android devices that aren’t smartphones.

Here's another at wired.com
http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2010/03/android-devices-crave-googles-attention/

This is just my understand and everything I've read says it is correct. As of right now to get access to the app store an Android device must be tied to a wireless carrier (either a phone/data or data plan). I suppect (and hope) that Google will change their mind, but this is the current requirement that they enforce. Those that are unhappy about this should contact Google and let them know about your objects, just please don't shoot the messenger! :D

According to this link that say it is:
http://gigaom.com/2010/04/04/google-is-missing-an-android-opportunity-on-non-smartphones/

Here's another at wired.com
http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2010/03/android-devices-crave-googles-attention/

This is just my understand and everything I've read says it is correct. As of right now to get access to the app store an Android device must be tied to a wireless carrier (either a phone/data or data plan). I suppect (and hope) that Google will change their mind, but this is the current requirement that they enforce. Those that are unhappy about this should contact Google and let them know about your objects, just please don't shoot the messenger! :D

No, it just says the device has to have the hardware. In other words, a tablet with a SIM slot would be perfectly fine even if it didn't ship tied to a carrier. It just has to have the hardware there to support it.

Again, the Nexus One wasn't tied to a carrier, shipped without a plan, and had access to the marketplace via Wifi. There isn't any reason a tablet can't do the same.

i would like to see a girl handle this to make a phone call.......... using both hands to hold the phone to the ear.

just picture that

You cant hold it to your phone it doesn't have an ear piece. It's through the speaker or a headset.

Those prices are just rumor. I suspect it will be the same price or slighting cheaper than the iPad.

Which is reasonable considering it has 2 cameras, phone and flash capability. Not to mention awesome codec support. DivX, XviD, WMV, MP4, MPV and MKV for video plus MP3, MPA, AC3, AAC, WMA for audio. The only thing the Galaxy S phones and Tab can't handle is DTS audio.

For what I would use a tablet for, (browsing the web, reading books, watching video, gaming and photo viewing) I think the 7" makes more sense, 10" is too big and heavy to hold for extended periods when reading. Plus have you seen anyone walking around with the iPad it's just too big, they look rediculous.

Sorry, but is that guy trying to hold in his shit or something? He's constantly moving up and down like a kid trying to hold it in.

No, it just says the device has to have the hardware. In other words, a tablet with a SIM slot would be perfectly fine even if it didn't ship tied to a carrier. It just has to have the hardware there to support it.

Again, the Nexus One wasn't tied to a carrier, shipped without a plan, and had access to the marketplace via Wifi. There isn't any reason a tablet can't do the same.

I believe it when I see it. The Nexus One was Google's own phone and the only one to do this. No other company has done this, at least none that I'm aware of. You are pointing out the exception, not the rule. (Otherwise, why would you see articles like the one at Wired.)

It maybe possible in theory, I'll wait to see it in practice.

Those prices are just rumor.

The prices maybe rumor, but I found it interesting that one UK e-tailer already had it listed for pre-order. As such, I wouldn't be surprised to see the Tab listed in the US for about the same in dollars (~$650), which is close to what the 16GB 3G iPad lists for ($630).
http://goodereader.com/blog/tablet-...amsung-galaxy-tab-now-available-on-pre-order/

10x0902iub235galaxytab.jpg

Those prices are just rumor. I suspect it will be the same price or slighting cheaper than the iPad.

It isn't a rumor, they have announced pricing in in several countries.

http://carrypad.com/2010/09/03/galaxy-tab-pricing-accessories-market-video/
In our meeting with Samsung today they came clean about pricing. ...
Pricing is indeed 799 Euro.
Note: German pricing includes 19% tax. 670 Euros is the pre-tax price.

670 Euros is nearly $900 USD.

Forgot no edit....

I expect the US will get a better deal than currency conversion. I expect either $649 or $699 off contract, or $200 to $300 with 2 year contract.

There is a potentially interesting update to the Android table issue. It appears Google is considering blocking tablets from the app store.

Some are looking to jump the gun and potentially try to get Android 2.2 "Froyo" tablets to market. Google says that it may disallow such designs the ability to use its Android Market app marketplace.

Source

am i the only one that noticed all the marijuana leaves on the live background?

maybe ive had too many special brownies

I believe it when I see it. The Nexus One was Google's own phone and the only one to do this. No other company has done this, at least none that I'm aware of. You are pointing out the exception, not the rule. (Otherwise, why would you see articles like the one at Wired.)

It maybe possible in theory, I'll wait to see it in practice.

Go to Amazon and you can find tons of unlocked phones or phones sold without a contract. It isn't a rare thing or unique to the N1. For example: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=unlocked+android&x=0&y=0

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back