Samsung Galaxy S9/S9+

I got a S9 for work and was starting to like it, however the amount of notifications this thing generates is beyond ridiculous. Like holy shit, you can't even use the phone after you first get it, it is just busy spamming you with everything you don't care about. Also fuck this Bixby button, you can't disable it without signing up for a Samsung account. The phone opened Bixby once when I got off a call after not pressing the screen or any buttons, wtf. I tried to reproduce this and can't do it on demand.

Yesterday the phone sent me a notification telling me to reboot because it had been more than seven days since I rebooted. REALLY?!? Back to iOS it is.
stock Android FTW. Try a pixle 2

I disabled all the Samsung+ notifications and McAfee BS... I dunno if that's the notifications you're referring to.

I've been having issues with wifi connectivity on my S9. On a near daily if not twice daily basis, my wifi connectivity would fail; despite still being connected to the wifi. I turned off/on wifi or turn on/off airplane mode. Still no internet connectivity but connected to wifi. I forget the wifi, and reconnect to it. Still same symptom. Restarting the phone seems to be the only solution to the problem.

Samsung support is telling me to reset my phone. But I'm not doing that without root and titanium backup. Too many things to have to set up again. Is there a way to backup third party apps without root?

Yeah man, Samsung's cloud and Google's backup will reset everything for you. Just make sure you sync beforehand.

Titanium Backup (while I loved it for YEARS) is almost unneccessary now. Worst case scenario, you have to log back into apps. Lastpass/Bitwarden/Etc takes care of that shit.

Edit: I used Samsung's cloud when I went from my S8 to S9+, went nice and smooth, and let me pick the apps I had transfer over.

Last edited:
Neither helps me in third party apps like WhatsApp, Line, or Telegram, which local databases.

There's no way to back up conversations in there? Sorry man, no clue on those. Americans don't usually use those apps. ;)

Edit - A minute of googling, backup solutions for all three apps:

https://faq.whatsapp.com/en/android/28000019/?category=5245251

http://help.line.me/line/?contentId=20000240

https://telegram.wiki/general/exporting-chats

"There is less need for backups in Telegram, because your chats are stored encrypted in the Telegram Cloud — and you can access them from any of your devices anytime. Secret Chats are the only exception to this rule: they are only available on their device of origin and are lost when you log out."

Yesterday the phone sent me a notification telling me to reboot because it had been more than seven days since I rebooted. REALLY?!? Back to iOS it is.

Strange...I've never had my phone ask me to reboot them. s8 or s9 or any nexus device.

stock Android FTW. Try a pixle 2

If only S9 could run stock Android. I love the hardware but the software is a little ehh..

What I do is bypass most of Samsung software. I dont need syncing when Google does all of it. Tmobile has the least amount of bloat then I use BK disabler and disable whatever else I feel like is not needed. I was with att before and they must be the worst with the bloat.
You'd have google backup, att trying to backup and samsung....

Thanks for the ref- I'm going to try that to clean off my Note 4. Using it for permanent in-car navigation since it has a large screen and is just about useless for anything else...

It doesn't sound like everyone has had as rough an experience as Ocellaris (and yes, stock Android is much better), but good grief, that's ridiculous. As much as I actually like Samsung's hardware and some of its software experiences, I use an iPhone in part because Apple respects users' time. Samsung sometimes acts as if its desire to coach you or sell you things overrides your need to use your phone.

It's basically bullshit. The Exynos version's performance issues are overblown, and benchmarks are there to make insecure peoples' dicks hard. Almost any phone out there can perform WELL ABOVE what anyone needs, and even midrange phones work perfectly well.

I guarantee you you'd barely notice the difference.

That being said, after rooting every phone I've owned since the damn Samsung Moment & HTC Hero, and going through at LEAST 50 Android phones in 10 years? I'm done with NEEDING to root. If it's an option, sure. Whatever. But if it ACTUALLY breaks features and voids the warranty, I'm not bothering. From the S7, to S8, to the S9+, as long as I have a working KNOX based Ad Block solution, I'm 100% content.

Would I rather have a Pixel 2XL? Sure. But it's literally $700 more than I paid for my S9+ (extreme luck on my part). Not worth it.

I am going to recommend no one get the Galaxy S9. I'm so ready to jump to another phone. This phone simply does not have enough RAM. 4GB is too little. Phone chokes often and have to be restarted daily. I dunno about the GS9+, but I'm out of RAM much too often according to device management on the regular 4GB GS9.

I am going to recommend no one get the Galaxy S9. I'm so ready to jump to another phone. This phone simply does not have enough RAM. 4GB is too little. Phone chokes often and have to be restarted daily. I dunno about the GS9+, but I'm out of RAM much too often according to device management on the regular 4GB GS9.
4gb is plenty for most phones the problem is Samsung has so much software running under the hood. Samsung phones will always suffer from stuttering

After having to restart my phone twice yesterday and having to restart it twice today already, can Samsung release a pure Google experience phone with the Samsung camera and Samsung Pay apps?!? Seriously FUCK TouchWiz!

Have your tried disabling things with bk uninstaller? I try to disable as much as I can, of course it also depends if you got your phone through a carrier. I have tmobile now which hardly has any carrier bloat but att and tons which i disabled.

I'm on around 9 days uptime without any problems.

Have your tried disabling things with bk uninstaller? I try to disable as much as I can, of course it also depends if you got your phone through a carrier. I have tmobile now which hardly has any carrier bloat but att and tons which i disabled.

I'm on around 9 days uptime without any problems.
do you have a link? Or are you referring to bk package disabler? Any one who says that TouchWiz (out of the box) no longer lags is an liar.

Wow, did they screw up the S9's software or something for you guys? My Note 8 (US unlocked, SD835, Oreo) has been sailing smoothly for me, actually moreso since the Oreo update. I was actually starting to think that Samsung finally got their act together on the software side.

Then again, word is that they botched the Exynos variant's CPU governor pretty hard, sorta like trying to drive a manual transmission with poor shifting technique and selecting the wrong gears all the time.

As for Samsung hardware with pure Google software: remember the Galaxy S4 Google Play Edition? Yeah, we don't have GPE flagships from anyone any more. What a shame. Project Treble Generic System Images would negate the need outright, except for the whole "locked bootloader in the US" thing that makes it utterly pointless here.

do you have a link? Or are you referring to bk package disabler? Any one who says that TouchWiz (out of the box) no longer lags is an liar.

Yeah that's it. bk package disabler. If you visit xda, theres a thread on all the things to disable with a .xml file you can import.

The .xml file might be too aggressive but you can play around with it in case something you use is disabled.

I looked at a list of TouchWiz app that could be disabled and disabled them manually. Found that there's two Chrome installed with dual message icon on one of the corners and can't get rid of it. Here's hoping for better RAM management. I hate how Samsung is making me spend money on 3rd party apps to replace the bixby button already. I sure am not looking to spend even more on disabling apps, especially when I think I'll be jumping on the LG G7 or something asap when it comes out.

I can't speak for the S9+ or the Note 8 users, but 4GB on the S9 is simply not enough for the crap that is TouchWiz

My phone still needs to be restarted at least twice a day after disabling all the unnecessary Samsung crap. But I've also been more proactive about it. Close all apps and restart before sleep. I use the phone more in the morning to check my news, game stats, etc etc, so I often have to restart the phone again before 11AM. I find that Tuesday update day is the worst day of all. Probably restarted the phone 4 times yesterday.

I got annoyed enough to switch back to stock when I had to restart my phone about once a month because LineageOS lost control of the GPS on my Essential phone. If I had to reboot my phone once a day I'd probably end up throwing it out the window.

Yeah, not sure what you're doing wrong here. I've had mine since launch day, rebooted it twice. Shit's working just fine.

My phone still needs to be restarted at least twice a day after disabling all the unnecessary Samsung crap. But I've also been more proactive about it. Close all apps and restart before sleep. I use the phone more in the morning to check my news, game stats, etc etc, so I often have to restart the phone again before 11AM. I find that Tuesday update day is the worst day of all. Probably restarted the phone 4 times yesterday.
Sounds pretty bad. Just checked how long my Honor 8 has been on: 367 hours. I think I added my work account and rebooted to test that everything worked fine after. (Google apps works profile thingy is quite nice).

I got annoyed enough to switch back to stock when I had to restart my phone about once a month because LineageOS lost control of the GPS on my Essential phone. If I had to reboot my phone once a day I'd probably end up throwing it out the window.
I reboot every morning because of Smart Lock which deactivates after 4 hours idle time on my phone. When I reenter the pass code it still doesn't engage. Rebooting is the only way to get SL working properly, again. It's annoying, but it's the only workaround I've found.

Any one who says that TouchWiz (out of the box) no longer lags is an liar.

I didn't have TouchWiz lag (out of the box), nor do I have any now after a month with the phone.

Some of you probably have just gotten hardware that has issues right out of the box. Guess what? It happens. The compact power of these technologies certainly have very tight tolerances.

Last edited:
I didn't have TouchWiz lag (out of the box), nor do I have any now after a month with the phone.

Some of you probably have just gotten hardware that has issues right out of the box. Guess what? It happens. The compact power of these technologies certainly have very tight tolerances.
So you think what is more likely? The historical lag of TouchWiz vs Samsung's 9th generation of flagship hardware issue that may effect a small number of devices.... Hmmm hmmm.... I think the historical lag of TouchWiz is far more likely the case. Let's not even kid ourselves.

So you think what is more likely? The historical lag of TouchWiz vs Samsung's 9th generation of flagship hardware issue that may effect a small number of devices.... Hmmm hmmm.... I think the historical lag of TouchWiz is far more likely the case. Let's not even kid ourselves.

Calling anyone who doesn't agree with your comment a liar? Who'd kidding who?

Yeah man sorry. I haven't had any issues at all with my S9. Granted like I said I disable stuff not needed with bk disabler. I use it pretty lightly during while I'm at work but for instance to day after 5 I still had 70% battery. I know touchwiz has a bad rap and I was mainly a nexus user before but I really havent had any issues.

Calling anyone who doesn't agree with your comment a liar? Who'd kidding who?
considering that there's a historical record of TouchWiz lag and microstutter andthat people are paying $7 for an app to disable TouchWiz junk?!? Sure let's ignore all that! All I'm saying is if you have to get a S9 or a S9+, please get the S9+. While I don't know if the extra RAM in the S9+ will be enough, but I know for certain 4GB in the S9 isn't. So save yourself the time and the headache. The S9, when freshly restarted, is a great phone; I just run out of RAM far too quickly; and TouchWiz is known to use a lot of RAM, so heavier users beware.

Last edited:
Already saw someone sodomize their S9's SIM reader like someone's poop shooter today. Cheap piece of crap didn't want to pay me $100 to fix it. Hmm, wonder what that piece of garbage is going to do with that $1000 phone that I doubt they even own, just not pay their bill like an irresponsible piece of filth?

Rant aside, it looks just like an S8, next.

Last edited:
I'm looking to get an S9/S9+ for my mom next month on T-Mo since I can get them for half off with military discount now. The question is since she prefers smaller phones but talks on the phone for 6-8 hours a day (she's a chatty one) and uses her phone a lot; does the S9+ really get that much more battery life than the smaller S9? I've seen some reviews say it's a considerable difference and others say it's about the same across both phones. I have a Pixel 2 XL and see that it's about the same size as the S9+, so I'm going to have her hold my phone to see if she thinks it's too big or not and try to just talk her into the S9+ since it's only like $60 more for us.

Already saw someone sodomize their S9's SIM reader like someone's poop shooter today. Cheap piece of crap didn't want to pay me $100 to fix it. Hmm, wonder what that piece of garbage is going to do with that $1000 phone that I doubt they even own, just not pay their bill like an irresponsible piece of filth?

Rant aside, it looks just like an S8, next.

Lol.. dafuq is this and how does one "sodomize their SIM reader"..?!

I'm looking to get an S9/S9+ for my mom next month on T-Mo since I can get them for half off with military discount now. The question is since she prefers smaller phones but talks on the phone for 6-8 hours a day (she's a chatty one) and uses her phone a lot; does the S9+ really get that much more battery life than the smaller S9? I've seen some reviews say it's a considerable difference and others say it's about the same across both phones. I have a Pixel 2 XL and see that it's about the same size as the S9+, so I'm going to have her hold my phone to see if she thinks it's too big or not and try to just talk her into the S9+ since it's only like $60 more for us.

Obviously by shoving their penis into it, duh.

Must have force shoved that SIM card in any old way wrecking it loose into oblivion. I just looked inside the hole and saw all kinds of bent, wrecked pins and thinking to myself this just got fucked too hard. I told her the SIM hole got sodomized. Otherwise, the phone looked pristine.

Back