Samsung Galaxy S9/S9+

crHqV7
dD4Fxn
fN5zOS

Your links are broken.

some side by side shots with my iPhone X, v30 and s9+..

Sorry for the bad photography.. taken with my iPad..

View attachment 56701 View attachment 56702 View attachment 56703

Damn how did you guys get yours already?

Bastage works at T-Mobile as I recall.

Speaking of that, think you could help me get that Pixel 2 credit on my old SC plan? hah.. Seems T-Mo is only letting people on the One or SC Unlimited plans have it. Any way around that or could I temporarily upgrade to SC unlimited and drop it back down to my 6GB plan?

Damn how did you guys get yours already?
T4rd is correct.. I work for TMO and there is an annual award for top performers that I won this last year and it was sponsored by Samsung so the winners got the new phone a little early. TMO pre orders will probably ship within a week as well.

Speaking of that, think you could help me get that Pixel 2 credit on my old SC plan? hah.. Seems T-Mo is only letting people on the One or SC Unlimited plans have it. Any way around that or could I temporarily upgrade to SC unlimited and drop it back down to my 6GB plan?

Best I can recommend is to reach out to 611. Make sure it's during the day. You would probably have a team of experts your assigned to and they should be able to fix it if your entitled to it. If you don't have a team of experts and they can't fix it at 611 reach out to T-Mobile via Facebook or Twitter. Social media has folks that are also very well trained.

T4rd is correct.. I work for TMO and there is an annual award for top performers that I won this last year and it was sponsored by Samsung so the winners got the new phone a little early. TMO pre orders will probably ship within a week as well.

Best I can recommend is to reach out to 611. Make sure it's during the day. You would probably have a team of experts your assigned to and they should be able to fix it if your entitled to it. If you don't have a team of experts and they can't fix it at 611 reach out to T-Mobile via Facebook or Twitter. Social media has folks that are also very well trained.

Man, I work for AT&T. We have some stuff like that but not for the phones. Bummer.

bastage

Tmo customer for a two year cycle here - looks to be for a lot longer. I'm thinking they must treat the reps pretty well there. Each one who has helped me I always complete a survey on the with all 10s and comments about particular good service attributes. Being in IT support I know its often times hard to maintain an awesome customer face, but these guys do, and they don't seem to be trying to fill a quota, they will really did to find out info and work for you - Kudos!

Samsung makes arguably the best hardware out there... Their software... that's where it falls down. For years, they had so many redundant and useless features just for the sake of having them. This resulted in a phone that was noticably laggy at times and for whatever reason, every Samsung phone I Have had starts feeling noticeably slower inside of 6 months...

I have had Note 2, 3, 4, 5, and 7... I actually found my Note 5 slightly faster than my Note 7 which was laggy at times, even out of the box (both the original phone and the replacement phone...).

I appreciate that Samsung has continued to make improvements but many tech reviewers are still confirming that they are seeing similar things with the newer phones as well....

The Google Pixel XL and 2 XL I have are not experiencing these unexplained slowdowns... And they are receiving timely security updates and they have amazing cameras... I'm having a hard time getting excited about what Samsung is bringing to the table... Especially since they continue to push their own agenda with Bixby... Thy didn't listen to all of the outcry regarding the hardware Bixby button and kept it there for the S9/S9+... Why do we need more than one voice controlled assistant wanna be on our phone anyway? It just adds confusion and also with the hardware button, annoyance to the experience IMHO.

I hope anyone who gets the phone enjoys it, I'll be interested to hear what people think but I believe that Samsung is trying to play things super safe still at this point. Hopefully they have put more effort than usual into the software, so they can prove all of the Touchwiz haters to rest... I entered that camp when I started using a Google Pixel device after getting hosed on my Note 7... It's hard to go back even if there were a few Samsung customization I did like...
I agree in that Samsung needs to get their act together on the software front; it's the beginning of March, and I still don't have Oreo on my Note 8!

On the other hand, Nougat on the Note 8 is surprisingly responsive by TouchWiz/Samsung Experience standards, though random framedrops have happened before (and went away after a reboot).

Google's problem is the opposite: they have the software down pat, since Android is their product and all, but that's the only thing they have going for them... well, that and their camera software that you can sideload onto any other phone nowadays.

They want premium prices, yet they don't have microSD slots (because everyone totally has unlimited data with perfect, uninterrupted cellular coverage, right?), don't have headphone jacks as of the Pixel 2 (it's not cool with LeEco, Motorola, HTC or even Apple did it, it's not any more cool now that Google's doing it), and the squeeze feature they took from HTC is effectively Bixby button 2.0, less functional than HTC's squeeze implementation, while Google practically gets a free pass for it just because it only launches Google Assistant.

Regardless of whether it's an extra button or squeeze, that should be a standard, remappable hardware input like the others, whether you want it to pull up the camera, launch a certain app, maybe serve as a secondary back button, or other things I haven't even thought of yet. I like having extra buttons for more control (and actually miss physical keyboards of the sort only BlackBerry does today), but that naturally comes with the expectation that I can make them do exactly what I want.

There's also the lack of wireless charging (something that even prior Nexus devices had!), but that's admittedly something I only use because Samsung gave me a nice fast wireless charger and 256 GB microSD to go with my new Note 8. Still, wouldn't hurt to have it for the price they're commanding.

Oh, and don't get me started on the Pixel 2 XL's screen. Just don't. LG is pulling AU Optronics levels of panel quality control here - something that is not a good thing when you read all the complaints on the XB270HU/XB271HU, PG279Q, XG2703-GS and all those other AHVA-based monitors.

It's frustrating, really. We just want Samsung-grade hardware (sans the curved-edge screen, that doesn't belong on a Note) with Google-grade software; is that too much to ask for?

It happened for a brief while with the whole Google Play Edition thing, but that sure didn't last long (and only covered the S4, not the Note 3 I would've opted for instead). Our only hope now is for Project Treble AOSP generic system images to become more commonplace, but that's rather useless when Samsung insists on locking their damn bootloaders for us North American folk.

We'll see what Google does with the Pixel 3 phones. They may follow Samsung in un-deleting features that the industry has followed Apple's courage into removing, and hopefully they'll up the quality control with respect to the screens.

Man, I work for AT&T. We have some stuff like that but not for the phones. Bummer.

So uh, I hate to break it to you but... AT&T is having an employee program right now where you get the S9/S9+ for half off if you do 20 minutes worth of sales training. For about a day, it was open to non employees as well, before they fixed it. I ended up snagging an S9+ for $300 (with trade in of an S7). Now (once it arrives on 3/14) I just need to have it unlocked by AT&T so I can use it with T-Mobile.

So uh, I hate to break it to you but... AT&T is having an employee program right now where you get the S9/S9+ for half off if you do 20 minutes worth of sales training. For about a day, it was open to non employees as well, before they fixed it. I ended up snagging an S9+ for $300 (with trade in of an S7). Now (once it arrives on 3/14) I just need to have it unlocked by AT&T so I can use it with T-Mobile.

Definitely only for retail. I'm not retail.

since you work for Tmobile, you can confirm what the software update for the S8 was? I woke up and the phone stated it was updated but I do not see android 8 yet lol..

I had it in my cart for a preorder and couldn't pull the trigger. I couldn't bring myself to spend $800 for a touchwiz phone.

I cannot bring myself to spend $800 for any phone but, then again, that is just me.

I cannot bring myself to spend $800 for any phone but, then again, that is just me.

And...then I preordered it anyway. Oh well. Worst case it's a place holder until the Pixel 3, although I agree with NamelessPFG above.

Definitely only for retail. I'm not retail.

And I haven't been an AT&T employee for 8 years now. I still got it. ;)

They've fixed it now to only accept corporate AT&T emails. So... if you have one, go for it.

And I haven't been an AT&T employee for 8 years now. I still got it. ;)

They've fixed it now to only accept corporate AT&T emails. So... if you have one, go for it.

Where is this?

Edit: I found it

Holy shit thanks a ton for the heads up. It'll be really cheap with the $300 from my S7 Edge trade in and the 50%. Fucking made my day man.

Last edited:
Ends up being $327 with tax for the 9+ for me, after the $300 trade. I just need a SIM unlock for it to bring to T-Mobile and I'm good. I was going to get it for $525 from T-Mobile.

DxOMark reviews are out. I'm not surprised that DxO would give the S9+ takes the number 1 spot.

https://www.dxomark.com/samsung-galaxy-s9-plus-review-premium-specs-top-end-performance/

But I don't know how DxOMark averages the score between stills and videography, but shouldn't Pixel 2 two still be number 1 after 98 on still and 96 on video vs 99 and 91 respectively?

Yeah, doesn't make much sense, since they don't derive their total scores from an average or even a total number.

The few reviews I've seen so far all say they prefer the Pixel's camera still in most situations, where the S9+ edges it out in really dark shots and that's about it. I really don't care about camera quality though and am more about the software experience, which reviewers are saying it runs great for the most part, but there's still jank while scrolling through most areas.

I do recommend skipping DxO's 'scoring'; some of their data is useful, but their 'DxOMarks' are only really good for general ballpark assessments.

After a few days with the s9 I can say that I like the screen so much better then the s8's. The subtle change they made to the curve is a huge improvement in holding the phone. I Spent several hours watching Netflix on it yesterday with the Icon X earbuds while I was flying home from Vegas & it was a pretty good experience. The picture quality wasn't perfect, but I am sure that was the Netflix downloads (250ish MB each per episode of altered carbon) I dont foresee this bumping my iPhone X out of the current "most reached for" phones I have, but it will almost certainly bump the v30 from the 2nd spot. Mostly just because of the bigger screen. Neither of them is really "front pocketable" for me so that alone will keep the smaller iPhone X in the first spot.

And just because I find it helpful to see the physical size differences.

https://www.phonearena.com/phones/s...30,Samsung-Galaxy-S9/phones/10414,10577,10717

Now that most review blogs/sites have the Pixels and couple years of pure Google experience, I see more reviews talking about Samsung Touchwiz lag and "micro-stutter." Finally this complaint has gone mainstream! Haha!

My JoD is expiring in April, so I would need to jump on a new phone or spend $200 something to buy my iPhone 7 Plus from TMo. What do you recommend I do (and get the most out of my money), bastage?

Too bad you didn't get the regular S9. Lighter than the X and pretty close in size (narrower but taller).

After a few days with the s9 I can say that I like the screen so much better then the s8's. The subtle change they made to the curve is a huge improvement in holding the phone. I Spent several hours watching Netflix on it yesterday with the Icon X earbuds while I was flying home from Vegas & it was a pretty good experience. The picture quality wasn't perfect, but I am sure that was the Netflix downloads (250ish MB each per episode of altered carbon) I dont foresee this bumping my iPhone X out of the current "most reached for" phones I have, but it will almost certainly bump the v30 from the 2nd spot. Mostly just because of the bigger screen. Neither of them is really "front pocketable" for me so that alone will keep the smaller iPhone X in the first spot.

And just because I find it helpful to see the physical size differences.

https://www.phonearena.com/phones/s...30,Samsung-Galaxy-S9/phones/10414,10577,10717

Glad you posted that link. I keep my work V30 in my front pocket and it's fine for me. The s9+ is only a quarter inch taller and about the same otherwise, so I'll be fine.

Preordered a regular S9 right now. Figured that I can try it for a month with JoD.

Just checked my Tmo account, both phones are showing as "shipped" and UPS has a tracking number, so we might get them a few days early

It's "shipped" but waiting in the warehouse for UPS to pick it up. It'll be delivered Tuesday or Wed.

By the way, if anyone here has AT&T and wants to save some money, I have an AT&T blue S9+ being sent to me, and I need the unlocked or T-Mobile version (which is $100+ cheaper than the AT&T). Straight trade? It will be unused.

By the way, if anyone here has AT&T and wants to save some money, I have an AT&T blue S9+ being sent to me, and I need the unlocked or T-Mobile version (which is $100+ cheaper than the AT&T). Straight trade? It will be unused.

Pretty sure you can just flash any carrier or unlocked ROM to any US variant of the newer Samsung phones. I read that the S9's are supposed to pull the appropriate carrier firmware upon first boot with the SIM card installed. So maybe once you pop your T-Mobile SIM into it, it will pull the T-Mobile firmware so you can use Wi-Fi calling on it and get their bloat. If not, then I'm sure you can do the same thing as the last couple S phones and flash it with Odin or something. Either way, you should be able to take any US GS9 and get it working on any US carrier with all of their features working.

T4rd, I'm hoping this will be the case, but until it's actually DONE, I don't count on anything being set in stone. Firing up odin and flashing firmware is nothing, honestly I'm expecting a harder time getting it unlocked from AT&T. (they always reject the SIM unlock the first few times if you're not a customer).

Ok...the big question of the day. I have a regular S8 sitting here. Is it worth $400 to upgrade to the S9+?

I'm thinking of sending it back to Samsung as soon as I get it today and saving myself $400, but more RAM, better camera...

Ok...the big question of the day. I have a regular S8 sitting here. Is it worth $400 to upgrade to the S9+?

I'm thinking of sending it back to Samsung as soon as I get it today and saving myself $400, but more RAM, better camera...

Worth is subjective, only you can really decide if its worth $400 to you.

I get that, but I'm on the fence, and I guess I'm looking for more of "if you were faced with the same choice which would you choose?"

$400 is $400...but it's not going to break the bank.

Yesterday, I was leaning toward just keeping the S8...Today I'm leaning toward the S9+. S9+ gets delivered today.

I get that, but I'm on the fence, and I guess I'm looking for more of "if you were faced with the same choice which would you choose?"

$400 is $400...but it's not going to break the bank.

Yesterday, I was leaning toward just keeping the S8...Today I'm leaning toward the S9+. S9+ gets delivered today.

I'd keep the s8 and $400. The phones are too similar.

I think I'm keeping the S8 and sending the S9+ back. $400 is just too much money to justify the difference.

Had my GS9 for a day, it's a tad smaller than my s7edge, but it is much faster ( browser page loads much quicker) cases are order as is a slew of USB-C cables. Battery life is a bit better too.

Note 8 is getting it March 30th.

I agree in that Samsung needs to get their act together on the software front; it's the beginning of March, and I still don't have Oreo on my Note 8!

On the other hand, Nougat on the Note 8 is surprisingly responsive by TouchWiz/Samsung Experience standards, though random framedrops have happened before (and went away after a reboot).

Google's problem is the opposite: they have the software down pat, since Android is their product and all, but that's the only thing they have going for them... well, that and their camera software that you can sideload onto any other phone nowadays.

They want premium prices, yet they don't have microSD slots (because everyone totally has unlimited data with perfect, uninterrupted cellular coverage, right?), don't have headphone jacks as of the Pixel 2 (it's not cool with LeEco, Motorola, HTC or even Apple did it, it's not any more cool now that Google's doing it), and the squeeze feature they took from HTC is effectively Bixby button 2.0, less functional than HTC's squeeze implementation, while Google practically gets a free pass for it just because it only launches Google Assistant.

Regardless of whether it's an extra button or squeeze, that should be a standard, remappable hardware input like the others, whether you want it to pull up the camera, launch a certain app, maybe serve as a secondary back button, or other things I haven't even thought of yet. I like having extra buttons for more control (and actually miss physical keyboards of the sort only BlackBerry does today), but that naturally comes with the expectation that I can make them do exactly what I want.

There's also the lack of wireless charging (something that even prior Nexus devices had!), but that's admittedly something I only use because Samsung gave me a nice fast wireless charger and 256 GB microSD to go with my new Note 8. Still, wouldn't hurt to have it for the price they're commanding.

Oh, and don't get me started on the Pixel 2 XL's screen. Just don't. LG is pulling AU Optronics levels of panel quality control here - something that is not a good thing when you read all the complaints on the XB270HU/XB271HU, PG279Q, XG2703-GS and all those other AHVA-based monitors.

It's frustrating, really. We just want Samsung-grade hardware (sans the curved-edge screen, that doesn't belong on a Note) with Google-grade software; is that too much to ask for?

It happened for a brief while with the whole Google Play Edition thing, but that sure didn't last long (and only covered the S4, not the Note 3 I would've opted for instead). Our only hope now is for Project Treble AOSP generic system images to become more commonplace, but that's rather useless when Samsung insists on locking their damn bootloaders for us North American folk.

I just got my S9+ setup. My initial impression is that I'm pretty impressed.

It's very snappy. I can flick scroll through apps without any hiccups. Everything feels fluid. It's definitely a massive improvement over my S7 Edge. The screen is gorgeous. The curve is still here but it's pretty unobtrusive. I actually like it. The fingerprint reader is FAST. It's basically instant. I love it.

I'm going to give Bixby a shot. I hate a dedicated button that I never use so we'll see.

Here's a an image taken in fairly low light:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/13nrt0VJ3HlBJAS43

https://photos.app.goo.gl/VaO1fzWvMlkFHS6X2

https://photos.app.goo.gl/1OoiuwnzSowJIu733

Cat camera checks out. Pictures are way brighter than the lighting.

Last edited:
Got my S9+ yesterday- 24 hours later... eh... it's like the S8. Pretty much what every review said. :)

Back