Samsung Galaxy S9 Finally Launched....Officially

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
In what is likely the worst kept secret in the smartphone industry, the Associated Press is reporting (autostart video ad warning or get it at Archive.is ) that Samsung has officially announced the Galaxy S9. It seems as though the "selling point" of this new S9 is the camera and there is not much more reason to purchase it. Have we hit terminal velocity in the smartphone market? I know that I purchased the Pixel 2 XL phone for the camera, and it has gone above and beyond my expectations in terms of photo quality. I use the Pixel 2 to take almost all the pictures seen in our cooler and CPU reviews, and I doubt I will be upgrading my phone any time soon as photo quality is about as good as it needs to get for my usages. Here is a picture I snapped of us our having dinner Saturday night in what was not even close to good lighting conditions. At some point, really really good is good enough for most of us.

The new phone’s biggest selling point is a collection of minor improvements to its camera, which is already among the best in the smartphone business . The S9 promises even better low-light shots, while offering a video mode that appears to freeze fast-moving objects, matching a feature in some Sony phones. The S9 can automatically detect when there’s high-speed motion to record, such as a cork popping off a bottle of champagne. A fifth of a second of video gets stretched out into six seconds.

Since they neutered the rewards for Samsung Pay, I'm probably going to look elsewhere when I upgrade my GS7.

That's the thing with "phones" now. It's really if you want a better camera and nothing to do with the actual phone part or performance capabilities. There is no reason to get a new phone unless you need the camera and for most photographer aficionados the phone isn't going to cut it anyways. I really wish they would take a step back on how many they produce now because soon there will be an entire country buried in these.

I would probably pick up a GS9 as a replacement for my GS7 once it dies completely (the USB port already stopped working a while ago...thank goodness for wireless charging) but I'm probably going to move to Project Fi and unfortunately, it doesn't support the Samsung phones.
I like that Samsung continues to support the SD card (where I store most of my music) and waterproof designs. The USB-C port would be an upgrade for me to, since I wanted it on the GS7 anyway.
I'll probably end up getting the Moto X4 since it ticks most of the boxes and is quite a bit cheaper.

That's the thing with "phones" now. It's really if you want a better camera and nothing to do with the actual phone part or performance capabilities. There is no reason to get a new phone unless you need the camera and for most photographer aficionados the phone isn't going to cut it anyways. I really wish they would take a step back on how many they produce now because soon there will be an entire country buried in these.

well, this has Project Treble enabled, which should give you quicker OS updates (though its Samsung, so probably not).

Those are really nice phones. The positive is that they will make the S8's more affordable.

is there a list of:
a. no bloat ware
b. semi-annual updates
c. at least android O

It seems like in the USA we are stuck with Pixel... and my pixel xl was just ok after they replaced it due to a bad software update. Also google fi sucks for hunting.

well, this has Project Treble enabled, which should give you quicker OS updates (though its Samsung, so probably not).

I had to Google Project Treble, as I hadn't heard of it. I read about it here. Looks pretty promising. This is what I've said Android has needed ever since the first time I aid my hands on an Android phone.

I'm still not convinced it goes far enough though. I'd like to see Google move to the Windows model, where no customization of the Android software is done by OEM's at all. A system where google provides an Android binary release and pushes updates straight to consumers without any involvement from handset OEM's at all. Just like Dell or HP, all the handset OEM's would worry about is providing drivers. Any software customization could be handled by them through installable software or apps running on top of the standard Android binary release.

A smartphone is essentially a small, ultra portable computer. There is no reason we shouldn't be able to take advantage of best practice operating system and patching approaches from the desktop world.

Reactions: Rahh
like this
I think we hit peak smartphone a few years ago. When is the last time anything exciting or revolutionary was announced? It's been very incremental. I've played with the latest iPhones (although I gotta say I am not a fan of the X, FaceID is not as convenient as TouchID from my limited experience), Pixel 2 is very nice, Samsung phones are usually nice but I don't think their software they install on stock Android.

The biggest problem I have with this phone, and of course the GS8, is the stupid design decision of using glass for the back. And having even smaller bezel just makes it more break-prone.
I cannot stand Samsung's version of Android, it's just a big no for me.
And of course there's the price. If I'll spend close to a grand on a gadget, or won't be a phone. Maybe a GPU, but not a phone.
Yes I'm cheap when it comes to phones. I'll stick to my Redmi Note 3 SE with LineageOS for at least one more year.

Nice pic Kyle, if I ran into John Goodman I would be stoked as well!!!!!

Not getting it but im really happy these new S9's will work on T-mobiles brand new 600mhz band and have much better service overall in doors. Thats gonna be epic. Was waiting for this. Sadly my iphone X doesnt have these bands but the next generation of iphones this year will. T-Mobile > all others starting next month.

Looks like it still has a SD card. That's a deal breaker for me. I've got a ton of music on my SD card that I've had for about 3 phones now. I also have a ton of pictures on there that I've had for a few phones now that I still sit and look through a lot. The Galaxy phones seem to be the only phones available now with an SD card since the Motorola phones have done away with it.

Not getting it but im really happy these new S9's will work on T-mobiles brand new 600mhz band and have much better service overall in doors. Thats gonna be epic. Was waiting for this. Sadly my iphone X doesnt have these bands but the next generation of iphones this year will. T-Mobile > all others starting next month.

My phone automatically switches to VOIP when indoors (on Wifi) :p

I love that the tagline for the phone you can't live without is "The Camera. Reimagined."

V20 here. LG wrecked the V30 with Glass everything, and no switchable battery.

The V20 Camera is A+ as well.

Cheers!

V20 here. LG wrecked the V30 with Glass everything, and no switchable battery.

The V20 Camera is A+ as well.

Cheers!

Another vote for the v20. Just replaced my S5 with one about a month ago. Should have made the switch sooner!

I think we hit peak smartphone a few years ago. When is the last time anything exciting or revolutionary was announced? It's been very incremental. I've played with the latest iPhones (although I gotta say I am not a fan of the X, FaceID is not as convenient as TouchID from my limited experience), Pixel 2 is very nice, Samsung phones are usually nice but I don't think their software they install on stock Android.

My Grandpa once said, "Your generation relies too much on technology!"
I replied, "No, your generation relies too much on technology!"
Then I unplugged his life support.

I was really looking forward to the s9 but now I’m very disappointed. This is hardly even good enough to call a revision. How hoes the Pixel XL or Pixel 2 compare?

Nice pic Kyle, if I ran into John Goodman I would be stoked as well!!!!!

Hey now!

Walter.jpg

Wonder how many more ads will be seen with this "upgrade"

Seriously, I tried going from Apple to an S8. The sheer amount of shekleing on that platform is god awful. Even beyond all of the ads, there were so many apps that had issues working with the "Edge" screen - I couldn't deal with it. It now sits in my drawer as my emergency backup phone. I sincerly hope I never have to use it.

Wonder how many more ads will be seen with this "upgrade"

Seriously, I tried going from Apple to an S8. The sheer amount of shekleing on that platform is god awful. Even beyond all of the ads, there were so many apps that had issues working with the "Edge" screen - I couldn't deal with it. It now sits in my drawer as my emergency backup phone. I sincerly hope I never have to use it.

That's too expensive to be sitting in a drawer as a hated back up phone. Sell it..

I'm planning on pawning it off when someone I know drops their phone :D

This is really why you should always just skip a gen with phones now-a-days. Can't wait for the Note 9. I absolutely hated giving up my Note7 after the battery fiasco, decided to skip the 8 and still wait for the 9. Or you know...

7, ate, 9, if you will. :)

Back