Samsung Galaxy S8+ to Verizon Pixel 2 XL worth it?

Keep GS8+ or switch to Verizon Pixel 2 XL ($300 off)

• Keep GS8+

Votes: 19 70.4%
  • Get Verizon Pixel 2 XL @ $300 off deal

Votes: 8 29.6%

• Total voters
Oh, I've seen some LG OLED panels at stores before. Those things look top-notch. I just haven't had an opportunity to test their input latency, and LG's already left a bad impression from what's probably decade-old equipment by now. I hope they've improved, because input lag is something that most HDTV manufacturers frankly don't seem to care about when computer monitor usage and gaming seem to be completely secondary to movie/video content.

As for having top-notch TVs and screwing up phone panels, how 'bout we invert this a bit, since Samsung is in the exact opposite situation? Class-leading OLED panels on phones, and yet their HDTVs are basically LCDs with fancier branding now, outclassed by LG's offerings.

I think part of it has to do with their particular implementations of OLED display tech; LG uses white OLEDs with color filters, which isn't very power-efficient from a smartphone standpoint. Samsung uses proper colored subpixels, which results in the blue ones aging much faster and the whole thing being even more prone to burn-in in the long run for HDTV and especially monitor use.
Input latency is great after the updates they implemented early this year. I have a 65B6 and a 55C6. Guests still complement them even after a year of ownership.

Oh, I've seen some LG OLED panels at stores before. Those things look top-notch. I just haven't had an opportunity to test their input latency, and LG's already left a bad impression from what's probably decade-old equipment by now. I hope they've improved, because input lag is something that most HDTV manufacturers frankly don't seem to care about when computer monitor usage and gaming seem to be completely secondary to movie/video content.

As for having top-notch TVs and screwing up phone panels, how 'bout we invert this a bit, since Samsung is in the exact opposite situation? Class-leading OLED panels on phones, and yet their HDTVs are basically LCDs with fancier branding now, outclassed by LG's offerings.

I think part of it has to do with their particular implementations of OLED display tech; LG uses white OLEDs with color filters, which isn't very power-efficient from a smartphone standpoint. Samsung uses proper colored subpixels, which results in the blue ones aging much faster and the whole thing being even more prone to burn-in in the long run for HDTV and especially monitor use.

I have a Samsung TV and their warrant y specifically covers burn-in. Not sure what the heck you are talking about. Avsforum reviews were all good for my TV. It's no LG OLED but the price was fair.

The input lag on the LG OLED TVs is great. They make some of the best televisions to use as computer monitors.

I have a Samsung TV and their warrant y specifically covers burn-in. Not sure what the heck you are talking about. Avsforum reviews were all good for my TV. It's no LG OLED but the price was fair.
I kinda got carried away there; the burn-in bits refer to their different implementations of OLED tech. Do you actually have one of the OLED HDTVs Samsung used to produce before they switched to their totally-not-LCD QLED panel lineup? Wouldn't mind taking a look at one of those, though they're obviously no longer in stores.

Burn-in is something that I'm admittedly paranoid enough about to take measures to mitigate it on my Galaxy Notes (full-screen Web browsers with no status bar, auto-hiding the nav bar on my Note 8), since OLED in general still doesn't seem as resistant to burn-in as a typical FD Trinitron from the final years of CRT production. I have even more concerns for PC use, where static UI elements are far more of a recurring thing and the user isn't expected to only use the screen for short periods of time.

Still, OLED contrast and color reproduction spoiled me rotten. It's one of the few flat-panel technologies that can even satisfy me when I've already laid eyes on a calibrated GDM-FW900. I just need high refresh rates (at least 120 Hz), minimal input lag, and a price tag that doesn't exceed my entire desktop build.

I only read the title and I do not like Samsung phones in general due to their policies. But I'm going to have to say no it is not worth it.

I'm on an engineer-bootloader S7 (only way for me to root, slows the phone down though). Played with the Pixel 2 and Pixel 2 XL today. Both are damn nice phones. I'm in the market for much of the reasons you are, because I'm tired of locked devices and slow updates. Stock Android is just damn snappy, and if you can get root, the community behind a popular phone will keep porting the newer OS's for years to come.

The 2 XL seems to have almost an identical screen (size wise) as my S7. The XL was the more "premium" feeling phone, but I've also read about the screen retention issue. Had that issue on my LG G5 and it was annoying as hell. Granted, even some of the Samsung phones suffer from screen retention if left on an image for long enough, it's just the the time it takes is the issue. The XL at the store didn't have any screen issues. So it may be a manufacturing lottery.

I'm on an engineer-bootloader S7 (only way for me to root, slows the phone down though). Played with the Pixel 2 and Pixel 2 XL today. Both are damn nice phones. I'm in the market for much of the reasons you are, because I'm tired of locked devices and slow updates. Stock Android is just damn snappy, and if you can get root, the community behind a popular phone will keep porting the newer OS's for years to come.

The 2 XL seems to have almost an identical screen (size wise) as my S7. The XL was the more "premium" feeling phone, but I've also read about the screen retention issue. Had that issue on my LG G5 and it was annoying as hell. Granted, even some of the Samsung phones suffer from screen retention if left on an image for long enough, it's just the the time it takes is the issue. The XL at the store didn't have any screen issues. So it may be a manufacturing lottery.
I have not had any burn in issues since getting mine, but if I do I bought from the google store so I think they will take care of me. Verizon I have less faith in.

I kinda got carried away there; the burn-in bits refer to their different implementations of OLED tech. Do you actually have one of the OLED HDTVs Samsung used to produce before they switched to their totally-not-LCD QLED panel lineup? Wouldn't mind taking a look at one of those, though they're obviously no longer in stores.

Burn-in is something that I'm admittedly paranoid enough about to take measures to mitigate it on my Galaxy Notes (full-screen Web browsers with no status bar, auto-hiding the nav bar on my Note 8), since OLED in general still doesn't seem as resistant to burn-in as a typical FD Trinitron from the final years of CRT production. I have even more concerns for PC use, where static UI elements are far more of a recurring thing and the user isn't expected to only use the screen for short periods of time.

Still, OLED contrast and color reproduction spoiled me rotten. It's one of the few flat-panel technologies that can even satisfy me when I've already laid eyes on a calibrated GDM-FW900. I just need high refresh rates (at least 120 Hz), minimal input lag, and a price tag that doesn't exceed my entire desktop build.

Yeah we have gotten off topic here. FWIW I have a 2016 Samsung TV (not OLED).

Last edited by a moderator:
Back