Samsung Galaxy S8 Introduction stream

• Thread starter Deleted member 245375
  • Start date
Same old same old, when the guy says "the bezels just disappear" I can't help but laugh 'cause I can damned well see 'em top, bottom, and on the sides. :)

And I'll say it again: they really need to learn from Apple when it comes to putting on presentations, they really do, every company does it seems. As for the Bixby thing, bleh, still nothing I care about at all from any company so far, none of them really do it right and none of them ever really will.

Wow.. looks pretty damn nice. With the new sizes, is there going to be a note series anymore?

I'm sure there will be, they just won't be much bigger now and will still house the S-Pen inside them.

No stereo speakers is pretty annoying to me though.. I've learned to love them on my 6P and my previous One M8. I'm pretty tempted to pick up a Mate 9 now because it has them as well as an IR blaster, both things Samsung and LG passed on this year.

"The bezels just disappear"...right behind the edges of the case that you'd be stupid not to install on your $900 phone..

Was possibly thinking on getting an S8+, but after reading about the official phones, not a frigging chance;

- Lol. Launched with outdated software. Android 7.1 has been out awhile, and these just ship with last years 7.0 UNACCEPTABLE.

- 3,000mAh battery on the 5.8" phone is way too small, and will just give average battery life, and 3,500mAh on the 6.2" phone again is just too small, will probably have good battery life, but not like if it had a 4,000mAh which the S8+ should absolutely have. Why can the Huawei Mate 9 with a 5.9" screen come with a 4,000mAh battery, and has amazing battery life.

- And Touchwiz, again, they need to be selling GPE phones again, the option to pay full price for a Samsung Galaxy phone running stock Android supported directly by Google. That's the only way to guarantee timely updates and a smooth OS. These S8 will be lucky to see Android O by Spring 2018, heck they aren't even shipping with the current 7.1

- TW blows, don't care what anyone says, I have owned the Note II, S3, S4, Note 5, S7 Edge. Every single one of those phones lags like an old Windows 95 PC after a few months. Even the Note 5, yeah brand new it was awesome, but six months later was a laggy bogged down phone. My co-workers all got S7 Edge for Christmas recently, I set them all up, and I was shocked at how much tiny micro stutter, and little hiccups all these S7 Edge's had. They were not smooth phones at all. I went to T-mobile last Fall to look at the Note 7's, the salesman had a personal Note 7 he let me play with, he said look how smooth this phone is, I said wow not. It lagged at spots here and there, and would stutter for half a second when doing a lot of stuff.

-Stock Android is 1,000 times more smooth than TW, even Nougat Toucchwiz. Today in 2017, there's zero need for these manufactures UI anymore, they should all be running vanilla Android 7.1.2

- Lastly I am no iPhone at all, but surprisingly have an iPhone 7 Plus as my daily driver, and I am shocked at how smooth iOS 10.3 is, just so buttery darn smooth, never hiccups, never lags, it's just always the same speed always smooth. Touchwiz Nougat isn't even close to the smoothness of iOS, and TW isn't as smooth as Android 7.1 , that's not opinion, but fact.

Wow, guess it's time to pick up that S7 I've been putting off.

3 more centimeters added to the top of the screen? I ALREADY have trouble pocketing my s4.

Any chance we'll get a regular-sized 16:9 version of this otherwise sexy device? Or is 170mm tall the "new small" for Samsung?

I dunno about you guys, but LG G6 seems like the better buy... not that I am going to get a G6.

As long as you're OK with LG stripping out aspects and features of the G6 for the US and Euro markets, and the fact that it's a weaker device by a considerable margin then so be it. The Snapdragon 821 in the G6 gets roughly 150K on Antutu benchmarks give or a take a few K but the Snapdragon 835 has shown it's up just over 200K so that's a chunk of performance for people that really want it.

I have no use for either device myself, I do have some interest in what they'll bring to the Note8 later this year but I suppose given the Note7 fiasco we can expect the Note8 to be pretty damned expensive when it does finally hit the market.

Well, looks like I'm keeping my Mate 9 for a while. I originally bought it as a stop-gap until the s8 was available, but I just don't see a reason to bother. Besides, this Mate 9 is honestly one of the best phones I've ever used. Amazing battery life, good camera, not a single bit of lag, and it honestly might have the best radios I've ever seen (it gets a solid connection even when my wife's iPhone 6s+ is struggling).

Well, looks like I'm keeping my Mate 9 for a while. I originally bought it as a stop-gap until the s8 was available, but I just don't see a reason to bother. Besides, this Mate 9 is honestly one of the best phones I've ever used. Amazing battery life, good camera, not a single bit of lag, and it honestly might have the best radios I've ever seen (it gets a solid connection even when my wife's iPhone 6s+ is struggling).

I'd really like to get the Mate 9. It looks like the perfect phone for me, as I've been looking for another phone with stereo speakers and an IR blaster since I had my One M8. Battery life on that phone looks like it would trounce the S8 as well too. The only thing I can knock it for is the LCD display since I really like the AMOLED on my 6P. I think 1080p is fine though even at that size, esp if it means better UI performance in games and stuff.

Where did you get yours? If you're using it on T-Mobile, do you know if it supports WiFi calling on there (doubt it). I wish T-Mo sold it directly so I could get it on a EIP though. I've never spent more than $450 on a phone at once before and it's still hard to justify when I still enjoy my 6P a lot, I could definitely use a lot better battery life though since I game on it a bit.

I dunno about you guys, but LG G6 seems like the better buy... not that I am going to get a G6.

And when LG ever gets around to teaching their production people how to solder properly to prevent bootlooping, I'll consider another LG.

No, the S8 doesn't look to be a huge upgrade over the S7. I'll wait a few months for when T-Mobile does the "free S8 when you trade in an S7" deal (I'll bet good money it's coming before Summer) and I'll get it for basically taxes paid. I wouldn't spend $800 on it though.

Last edited:
I'd really like to get the Mate 9. It looks like the perfect phone for me, as I've been looking for another phone with stereo speakers and an IR blaster since I had my One M8. Battery life on that phone looks like it would trounce the S8 as well too. The only thing I can knock it for is the LCD display since I really like the AMOLED on my 6P. I think 1080p is fine though even at that size, esp if it means better UI performance in games and stuff.

Where did you get yours? If you're using it on T-Mobile, do you know if it supports WiFi calling on there (doubt it). I wish T-Mo sold it directly so I could get it on a EIP though. I've never spent more than $450 on a phone at once before and it's still hard to justify when I still enjoy my 6P a lot, I could definitely use a lot better battery life though since I game on it a bit.

I got it through B&H Photo to save the tax. I thought the screen would bug my coming from a 1440p AMOLED, but I honestly barely notice a difference. While the phone technically supports WiFi calling, it doesn't work with TMo, but it does get VoLTE with them (unlike ATT apparently). TMo will give you a free LTE booster for your home if you need it, though. I get fine reception everywhere I go unless it's the sticks, and that's ultra rare for me. Like I said, it probably has the best reception I have ever had.

I'm done spending ridiculous amounts of € for a phone. It's possible to get absolutely fine devices for 350 € or a bit more. No way I'm paying double or triple.

By the way, that Samsung ui makes EMUI5 with app drawer look almost like stock Android...

Beautiful device. DeX is interesting. However, TouchWiz will kill this phone just like it always has. Very disappointing.

I could see myself buying an S8 (would be my first Samsung device) if there was no TouchWiz.

You could get a barely used HP Elite x3 for $500 right now. If desktop support is important to you, I would get this Windows 10M device.

Anyone wanna buy a nice S7 edge bundle? ATT unlocked. Gonna put it towards an s8

Surprised there hasn't been more talk about the S8.

I'll say this: I really, really hope the next Google Pixel embraces this nearly-all-screen philosophy. I'm intrigued by the S8 and I'm not even that bothered by Touchwiz (or rather, Samsung Experience)... but I don't like the idea that it could be several months before I get a major OS update, and that even security updates still aren't guaranteed to arrive in a timely fashion.

The thing with Samsung phones is, they seem excellent at launch, a brand new Galaxy phone is great hardware and just super cool.

But if you keep your smartphones for longer than 12 months, it seems Samsung just makes throwaway phones, meaning they halfway abandon them, and by like 18 months later, your on your own, yeah you will get one more major Android update eventually, but not regular security updates, and then the phones really start to lag at that point.

Seems disappointing. My Lumia 950XL manufacturered in 2015 has nearly the same specs.

Every android phone I've ever owned starts out blazing fast and within a year is dogging it in speed.

...what? Same specs as in... the screen resolution? Other than that I have no idea what's possibly the same.

Anyone wanna buy a nice S7 edge bundle? ATT unlocked. Gonna put it towards an s8

Wait till they do the S7 for S8 free upgrade/trade-in

Surprised there hasn't been more talk about the S8.

I'll say this: I really, really hope the next Google Pixel embraces this nearly-all-screen philosophy.

You'll like it until you actually have to use it. It's one of the most comfortable phones to hold (at least the Note 7 was) but you WILL need a case, and the case is kind of annoying to use with the edges/bezels being what they are. Not to mention a curved (tempered glass) screen protector is near impossible to find, and IS impossible for them to do well. That's my only complaint with 2.5D and 3D curved screens, protecting them is a bitch, and they scratch really easy.

I went with the S8.. was going get the S7 Edge and that beat out the Pixel because of the Pixel didn't offer the wireless charging. I have 5 Qi chargers that I used on my Lumia.

My W10M Icon has treated me well over the 3 years that I have had it. I had hope that MS (or another company) would put out a Windows Phone that would play nice with Verizon. I will keep the Icon and continue to use it for Windows Insider and hopefully within the next couple of years I will see another W10M phone.

My wife has the S6 Edge and like entropism said you can't find a glass screen protector and those on Amazon a lot of them crack when you put on the case.

No thanks.

I owned a S7 - Best build quality of an Android phone I've seen yet, but touchwiz destroys that phone. S8 won't be any better.

Outstanding hardware crippled with shit software.

No thanks.

I owned a S7 - Best build quality of an Android phone I've seen yet, but touchwiz destroys that phone. S8 won't be any better.

Outstanding hardware crippled with shit software.

This always comes up, but it simply isn't true. Crippled? Hardly. I've used an S7 Edge for a year. I tweaked it, disabled all the bloat, and put Nova launcher on it. It hasn't had a single issue since I've owned it.

Could it be better? I'm sure it could be. These lines about TouchWiz are more likely parroted talking points though. I don't know what people are doing with their phones that they're coming to the conclusion the phones are crippled.

Agreed. It even got better with Nougat. After using the latest Sense, AOSP, whatever the fuck LG calls their AbortionUI, and Touchwiz/GraceUI, I put Samsung right under AOSP for most pleasant to use. After that is sense, then a rusty cheesegrater shaped into a dildo, then LG's.

This always comes up, but it simply isn't true. Crippled? Hardly. I've used an S7 Edge for a year. I tweaked it, disabled all the bloat, and put Nova launcher on it. It hasn't had a single issue since I've owned it.

Could it be better? I'm sure it could be. These lines about TouchWiz are more likely parroted talking points though. I don't know what people are doing with their phones that they're coming to the conclusion the phones are crippled.

Stock phone. Ran like shit. I shouldn't have to do anything to get it to run better.

You can call me a liar all you want or tell me that my phone was just "bad".

No. Stock phone with latest updates and nothing extra installed it ran poor, and even games were pretty poor running.

I will never touch Samsung again. Your "could it be better line " is laughable. It's a $700 phone at release, it should just work.

Stock phone. Ran like shit. I shouldn't have to do anything to get it to run better.

No. Stock phone with latest updates and nothing extra installed it ran poor, and even games were pretty poor running.

I will never touch Samsung again. Your "could it be better line " is laughable. It's a $700 phone at release, it should just work.

You're doing it wrong. Not meant to be insulting, but if you can't be happy with ANY of the flagships, the problem is you. Seriously, all of the phones are awesome. I have an S7 Edge, S7 Active, LG G5, and use many of the others at work frequently. They're all great phones to use.

The S7 Active is completely stock and is rock solid. The S7 Edge is tweaked with Nova launcher and package disabler. The G5 is completely stock. I would be happy using either. I got the G5 for $120 brand new and it's amazing at that price. That's why I went to sell my S7E. I can use the G5 and put the money towardsan S8 or whatever.

You're doing it wrong. Not meant to be insulting, but if you can't be happy with ANY of the flagships, the problem is you. Seriously, all of the phones are awesome. I have an S7 Edge, S7 Active, LG G5, and use many of the others at work frequently. They're all great phones to use.

The S7 Active is completely stock and is rock solid. The S7 Edge is tweaked with Nova launcher and package disabler. The G5 is completely stock. I would be happy using either. I got the G5 for $120 brand new and it's amazing at that price. That's why I went to sell my S7E. I can use the G5 and put the money towardsan S8 or whatever.

Where was the new G5 for $120?

Totally agree, the S7 Edge, and Note 7 had lag, slight hiccups, and micro stutter. Sure if your root and ROM they become bad ass super phones, but bone stock out of the box TW still sucks.

I am no Apple fan whatsoever, but my current phone is a iPhone 7 Plus, and I tweaked the settings as much as I could, without a JB, and this thing is silky smooth, just consistent, no lag, no chop, no hiccups. I am pleasantly surprised, never thought an iPhone would be like this.

I will say this, a bone stock 7 Plus is sure the heck a lot smoother and lag free compared to an S7 Edge.

Horseshit. And it's why I keep going back to other manufacturers who don't load down their phone with bullshit. Not sure where you got it from that I don't like the flagships. Because I like my HTC 10, and my iPhone 7.

Last edited:
Just to add to Samsung's software issue argument; Erica Griffin actually mentions it in her GS8 overview here. She recalls how her GS7 Edge has slowed to a crawl a lot during normal operation, despite disabling bloat apps and factory resetting the phone.

I can believe it, as I have seen the same thing on my Wife's previous Note5, GS6, and GS4. Meanwhile her current Moto Z Play seems to run circles around her previous Note5 and my mom's S7, despite those phones trouncing it in hardware specs.

My wife and I both had Note 5's they were amazing at launch. And few months later I got rid of mine for the Nexus 6P at the time. But I recall playing with the wife's Note 5 and man it became a laggy choppy phone six months on. Night and day smoothness difference compared to my 6P then.

And then more recently all my coworkers got S7 Edge's for Christmas for work. I had to help them set them up. And man right out of the box these phones had just very minor micro stutter, was just a tiny little bit of lag here and there. Not much really, but you could tell it was still there.

Now 4 months later, I've asked my coworkers if I could mess around with thier phones for a couple minutes each, and yep the lag was worse and the hiccups more than before. And they're all running Nougat too.

Touchwiz is still a resource hog, and over time it will start lag and get choppy, the older the phone gets. That's not opinion, but a fact.

Stock Android does not do that. And myself with a iPhone 7 Plus for 4 months now, this thing surprisingly is just as silky butter smooth as the day I got it.

My wife and I both had Note 5's they were amazing at launch. And few months later I got rid of mine for the Nexus 6P at the time. But I recall playing with the wife's Note 5 and man it became a laggy choppy phone six months on. Night and day smoothness difference compared to my 6P then.

And then more recently all my coworkers got S7 Edge's for Christmas for work. I had to help them set them up. And man right out of the box these phones had just very minor micro stutter, was just a tiny little bit of lag here and there. Not much really, but you could tell it was still there.

Now 4 months later, I've asked my coworkers if I could mess around with thier phones for a couple minutes each, and yep the lag was worse and the hiccups more than before. And they're all running Nougat too.

Touchwiz is still a resource hog, and over time it will start lag and get choppy, the older the phone gets. That's not opinion, but a fact.

Stock Android does not do that. And myself with a iPhone 7 Plus for 4 months now, this thing surprisingly is just as silky butter smooth as the day I got it.

I'll be jumping on the Apple plus size bandwagon once they minimize their bezel size. The current one is just way to big for that size screen. My personal dream phone would be a phone the size of a 6/7 but with no bezel, all screen.

That's basically what the G6 is but I prefer iOS 90% of the time.

Back