Samsung Galaxy S8 Introduction stream

• Thread starter Deleted member 245375
  • Start date
Horseshit. And it's why I keep going back to other manufacturers who don't load down their phone with bullshit. Not sure where you got it from that I don't like the flagships. Because I like my HTC 10, and my iPhone 7.
Yup, I've been bitten by the Samsung -software bug before and I will never touch another product by them again. I can't believe that a company can come out with an amazing handset that blows the doors off its hinges only to be slowed to a crawl by its shittastic software. Not paying them another $850 just so I can spend my time trying to get it "smooth" like their competition.

Except their SSDs they are pretty good.

Yup, I've been bitten by the Samsung -software bug before and I will never touch another product by them again. I can't believe that a company can come out with an amazing handset that blows the doors off its hinges only to be slowed to a crawl by its shittastic software. Not paying them another $850 just so I can spend my time trying to get it "smooth" like their competition.

Except their SSDs they are pretty good.
And their 4K Curved SUHD TVs make for excellent computer monitors. ;)

Welp, the nav buttons on the demo units weren't as pressure-sensitive as I was hoping for. Gonna have to auto-hide 'em to prevent accidental presses.

Actually extending the screen into the space where the buttons were instead of just having 'em cut into the 16:9 content area is a smart move, though, I'll give them that. That's one of my biggest complaints about on-screen buttons: wasted space.

Even so, it's not the S8 that interests me, but rather what this is going to mean for the Note 8 design-wise. I wish they'd quit trying to cram the edge curves down our throats, along with literally cutting corners on the screen now (this isn't an old Macintosh, guys!) and screwing over the US market with locked bootloaders on all carriers if the S7 was any indication, but this is post-S6 Samsung we're talking about. They're too far in love with curved screens to give it up now.

Then again, what I really wish for is a real alternative to the Galaxy Note that's not from Samsung. Two words: no Wacom, no sale. And as long as that rule holds up, I pretty much only have one choice for smartphones, all from a manufacturer that effectively stabbed their enthusiast market in the back to appeal to all the bitten fruit-tainted tech bloggers and reviewers, starting with the Note 5.

People who think TW is smooth must not had much other long term experiences to compare it to.

People who think TW is smooth must not had much other long term experiences to compare it to.

I certainly don't think TW is "smooth" per se, but the hyperbole and over-exaggeration is always funny to read.

I used a Nexus 5 for 2 years and god damn do I miss that phone. But it died an early death, so I chose the Note 5 as its replacement. I really have no major complaints regarding TW. I only recently traded it in for an S7 because it was just too damn big.

I certainly don't think TW is "smooth" per se, but the hyperbole and over-exaggeration is always funny to read.

I used a Nexus 5 for 2 years and god damn do I miss that phone. But it died an early death, so I chose the Note 5 as its replacement. I really have no major complaints regarding TW. I only recently traded it in for an S7 because it was just too damn big.

Sure, people over exaggerate how bad it is.. But I think it's relevant to the issue at hand. You have outstanding hardware being crippled by their software build, and because the US models are now completely locked down you can't even attempt to 'fix' the problem as the specific services/apps causing the issues can't be shut off.

The sad part is that I can use 2-3 year old phones on both the Android and Apple side and none of them have the issues. My HTC M8 doesn't have the issue. My Sony Z3C didn't have the issue. My beat to shit iPhone 5 my wife still uses doesn't have the issue, and my iPhone 7 really made the micro-stuttering/general crap performance in a lot of apps readily apparent.

The hyperbole is almost needed at this point because Samsung continues to cripple outstanding hardware, and while some may point to Apple crippling their hardware with iOS - At least iOS runs things pretty smooth with no surprises even w/ the lack of RAM and having to constantly reload apps.

I want Samsung to succeed because they make he best hardware running Android, so it's why I'm complaining about their shit software that ruins the experience.

Last edited:
Wish they still made the 'GPE' line. Imagine an S8+ GPE = best hardware, with the best software

Just ordered an S8 to replace my increasingly-dated and effectively-app-free Windows Phone (Nokia 928). We'll see how it goes :)

Wish they still made the 'GPE' line. Imagine an S8+ GPE = best hardware, with the best software
Galaxy Note GPE with unlocked bootloader = SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!

Before anyone brings up how the Note's signature feature wouldn't possibly work on AOSP, trust me - it does. The Wacom pen works fine on custom ROMs for existing Notes, pressure and tilt sensitivity and all, and I mostly use OneNote and Clover Paint in place of the stock Samsung apps anyway.

That and if you look at the Wacom Cintiq Companion Hybrid, that's a device that runs mostly stock Android (sadly still stuck on Jelly Bean after all these years) and also runs the aforementioned apps just fine.

Some early battery life reviews are out, and it's doesn't match the iPhone 7 Plus battery life, but fairs a bit better than the Pixel XL battery.

- iPhone 7 Plus = 9h 05m
- Galaxy S8+ = 7h 50m
- Pixel XL = 7h

As of April 2017, I would still say the Pixel XL is the best smartphone right now, followed closely by the iPhone 7 Plus. Nothing else besides those two phone matter right now. Except the iPhone 8 in September, and Pixel 2 in October.

This Galaxy S8 is just like another Samsung appliance, no different than their latest Refrigerator or washing machine, nothing to get too excited over, it's just like a new dishwasher.

Some early battery life reviews are out, and it's doesn't match the iPhone 7 Plus battery life, but fairs a bit better than the Pixel XL battery.

- iPhone 7 Plus = 9h 05m
- Galaxy S8+ = 7h 50m
- Pixel XL = 7h

As of April 2017, I would still say the Pixel XL is the best smartphone right now, followed closely by the iPhone 7 Plus. Nothing else besides those two phone matter right now. Except the iPhone 8 in September, and Pixel 2 in October.

This Galaxy S8 is just like another Samsung appliance, no different than their latest Refrigerator or washing machine, nothing to get too excited over, it's just like a new dishwasher.

If the iPhone 8 comes out as rumored - Completely bezel-less - It's going to be a game changer. My biggest complaint with the iPhone plus size is the size of the unit and how small the screen is. iPhone 6/7 size device but 95%+ being screen would be pretty awesome.

TW *has* gotten better, but it's still clumsy looking compared to stock Android. Moreso than TouchWiz, I hate Samsung's bundle of apps that you can't get rid of. Even when you can disable some of them, it's like they all work together to cause headaches (like the horrible photo gallery and the not-so-bad camera). Not to mention their own skinned apps, separate accounts, and insistence on making proprietary versions of things Google has already done a fine job with. It's bad enough that Google isn't sure if we should use messaging, allo, hangouts, etc. - we also have Samsung throwing their own nonsense into the mix.

I got a chance to play with an S8 at the Verizon store over the weekend and I honestly DID like it. The UI was smooth as hell and it looked like a really nice device. TW was there, but it had more polish than even the S7 version did. Then I opened those Samsung apps and was transported back to the Kit Kat era when they were designed.

- iPhone 7 Plus = 9h 05m
- Galaxy S8+ = 7h 50m
- Pixel XL = 7h

To be fair their refrigerators are pretty boss.

To be fair their refrigerators are pretty boss.
My family's old fridge died and was replaced by a Samsung. Looks nice, but the ice dispenser is slow and gives you crushed ice when you set it to "cubed" (actually more like half-circle). The old one had a far better ice dispenser.

Couple that with the reports of exploding Samsung washing machines (as if the Note 7 fiasco wasn't bad enough for their reputation), and they haven't exactly done wonders to win me over from an appliance standpoint.

Played with the S8 and S8+ today in store. Will say this, these phones are a marvel from a design perspective. The regular S8 is physically smaller than the s7 edge even though it's a bigger screen. It actually feels in hand like a very reasonably sized phone which is crazy to say for a 5.8 inch screen. And the S8+ is literally almost the exact same size as my pixel xl even though the screen is nearly a damn inch bigger. Really beautifully designed phones. Done get my wrong, I'm not giving up my pixel any time soon, I love stock Android too damn much, but man these phones feel great in hand.

I have an S8+ on pre order and will be coming from a Nexus 6p which has been a great phone however I just think it's a little boring now. I kept up on the latest custom ROMs which gave me all the latest features and was smooth but I'm ready to try something a little different. I think the S8 will be a great phone with the 835 SoC which no one is likely to get until way later this year since Samsung has dips on the chip for a while. S8 will have the best hardware in the mean time. People claiming the phone slows down after a while probably don't know how to clear cache or have some BS crap apps on their phones.

One thing I did love about the Galaxy S7 Active I had last year was that extra button I could assign to a large number of tasks, with 4 distinct options: short click, long click, short-hold then short click, long-hold then long click, etc. and it was all part of the native OS since there are no actual custom ROMs for those devices considering how locked down they are. I kinda miss that phone, honestly, best battery life of any device I've ever owned by far and the Snapdragon 820 was damned fast overall, guess I should look into getting another one perhaps if I can get a good deal.

I haven't seen a single thing about the S8 or S8+ that interests me since the introduction, guess all the devices are getting to be pretty much the same anymore.

Back