Samsung Galaxy S8+ Hammer and Knife Scratch Test

Holy cow! That is friggin' amazing.

(Let's keep this thread on topic please. Read the thread title!!! This thread is not for you to discuss why you still have a 5 year old phone and don't need another one, or how you think it is a status symbol.)

On one hand, I'm impressed...... on the other... why do people do this? Every *wack* made me cringe...

Are they built that strong to keep stabs and hammers out, or to keep shrapnel in?

Low hanging fruit...

But it is pretty crazy how durable phones have really gotten...I've had almost every Galaxy series since they were first released and I've only actually broken one, and that was an S5 that fell from a 7 foot high shelf literally flat on the screen. In a cruel twist of fate I had set it up there while fighting with the package for the Lifeproof case I bought for it....

Extra durability is NEVER something I'll dismiss in a phone. I'm fairly indifferent about more screen resolution or way better cameras....but the thing is my lifeline and the less likely it is to get busted by my clumsiness the better.

Isn't this the same kid that drowned some roaches in molten something for shits and giggles?

That being said, that is pretty damn impressive.

Impressive but what happens if you drop it on one of the corners from a short distance? My S6 Edge slipped out of my pocket while sitting down, dropped 2 feet on to a tile floor and cracked. BTW - I hate phone cases.

that's not a fuckin table. That's drywall.

Anyway, it looks like you really don't need an ugly case for this.

nevermind, i saw some drop test videos, and the s8 does not survive

Last edited:
Reactions: bbf
like this
On one hand, I'm impressed...... on the other... why do people do this? Every *wack* made me cringe...
Impressive but what happens if you drop it on one of the corners from a short distance? My S6 Edge slipped out of my pocket while sitting down, dropped 2 feet on to a tile floor and cracked. BTW - I hate phone cases.

Was it the back?

Never understood why they put glass on the back? The same thing happened to me, slipped out of hand while coming out of front pocket. The corner even hit my shoe cushioning the blow, yet the back was cracked. Awesome place for glass.

We will get there some day to not needing a case.. Though these days phone are so thin you need a case just to comfortably hold it.

Was it the back?

Never understood why they put glass on the back? The same thing happened to me, slipped out of hand while coming out of front pocket. The corner even hit my shoe cushioning the blow, yet the back was cracked. Awesome place for glass.

We will get there some day to not needing a case.. Though these days phone are so thin you need a case just to comfortably hold it.
Yes, first it was the back and then a single 2 inch crack on the front. But these OLED screen are so good, you only notice the crack when the screen is off so I can totally live with it.

Bleh, a Droid Turbo 2 would have taken all that beating on the display and been hammered clean through the table onto the floor below and it would just laugh at that hammer like "IS THAT THE BEST YOU'VE GOT? COME ON, BITCH, GIVE IT TO ME..." or words to that effect. I appreciate that it's somewhat tough overall to that kind of damage inflicted for show but, I'd still get a Droid Turbo 2 myself - actually a Droid Moto Force which is the unlocked version with the unlockable bootloader as well but it's the same phone - if I truly needed a device that simply wouldn't die under such actions.

Nokia 3310 scoffs at hammer and knife. 50bmg minimum needed

these are pretty clean strikes , lets see a drop test on the corner of the phone , those always leave nasty marks on the edges on the frames and screen

Yeah, A gypsum board table? WTF? What's the logical "test case" reason for that? It definitely would absorb some of the shock of the hammer, so would delay the destruction, plus it adds dramatic effect to the video.

It's an impressive performance by the phone regardless.

What I'd like to know is if it's in my front pocket with the screen facing outwards, and I accidentally bump into a corner of a particle board desk (like the ones in an average office) what would happen? I've not done this to a phone, but have done it to an MP3 player... had to replace the screen. :-O But then again, the video would not be as impressive.

noo these videos are so not cool!!!!!! but why he said it was beautiful at the beginning, why???

He probably got it for free, and it also costs almost nothing to make it. People generally don't care.

these are pretty clean strikes , lets see a drop test on the corner of the phone , those always leave nasty marks on the edges on the frames and screen

This is what I want to see!

Bro needs to work on his stab game... Also can i note, this is the most unscientific testing evvvver lol
No shit, complete waste of a phone.

This guy apparently does this a lot, so why wouldn't he create a simple rig that can produce consistent results? Like a guillotine type device to which you can either change the drop height with a ruler taped to the side for height measurement or add weight and move it up and down the device?

The same device could also have a mount for the phone at various angles, to test dropping it on its corners from various heights.

This guy is either retarded, or likes the fact that he can influence the results by pretending to hit harder or softer than he is and varying the backdrop material (in this case super soft unsupported drywall).

I honestly don't really care for these high impact tests. The real annoying things to me are scratches you get from small debris like the stray grain of sand or dirt - those will always leave fine scratches even if they come out with "silver back gorilla glass". Hence, a screen protector is the absolute first thing I do when I take the phone out of the box.

This isn't some dude with 10k subscibers there are 5.6 million subscribers, more likely than not there's more than enough revenue coming in from that to buy a phone to destroy, and destroying phones brings in viewers so he kind of has to do this.

should beat HIM with that hammer, then see if his "battery is smelling", poor s8

Am i the only one that lol'd at the "Hard Knocks" ad right before the last hammer blow? haha. Life can be awesome.

Was it the back?

We were there 2 years ago. The Droid Turbo does not need a case. I can't speak for the Turbo 2 or any follow-on Motorola models.

Last edited:
We were there 2 years ago. The Droid Turbo does not need a case. I can't speak for the Turbo 2 or any follow-on Motorola models.

i have a turbo 2. it broke a windshield and the phone looks completely fine.

except for the hardware bug that gives it green lines in the screen. other than that it is a strong phone

Back