Samsung Galaxy S7 Camera Glass Shatters Mysteriously

HardOCP News

[H] News
Have any of you guys run into this issue? I mean, I guess it's better than blowing up or catching on fire but I'd still be plenty pissed if this happened to me.

“A quick Google search brought up hundreds of identical instances of this rear camera glass shattering without dropping the phone, with Samsung refusing responsibility and forcing its customers to pay for a repair,” Sean tells Consumerist. Nearly all of the reports posted on Samsung’s forums — starting in April 2016 with the most recent posted just two weeks ago — include comparable descriptions of the potential defect: owners unexpectedly find the rear camera of their phones, generally in a protective case, shattered in a circle shape similar to a bullet hole.

I have an S7 edge. I honestly don't see how this could physically "just" happen. I think the only way I could reproduce this type of damage would be to smash it or heat the lens up and quench it in ice water. Both would be stupid.

Looks like they took a pen and started stabbing it or someone smashed it and placed it back where it was. I've stepped on my phone by accident in my sleep when it fell off my night stand and couldn't figure out how it broke.

wife and I have one, as well as 4 friends. No reported problems so far. Granted it is a small circle, but you did ask :)

Wife has had the phone since release and nothing wrong. Also a few of my co-workers with the phone and no issues as well. I'd say roughly 30 people.

Wife has dropped the phone a few times too.

This seems like a case of not taking ownership.

Btw, in the article, the 175 to replace the phone sure sounds like the deductible on insurance but the article makes it come across like a fee. Agenda maybe?

ITT a bunch of folks who don't realize that the technology behind super-thin glass is imperfect. It can take as little as a temperature or pressure change to shatter the glass from expansion / contraction. Which, imo, makes it a manufacturing defect.

ITT a bunch of folks who don't realize that the technology behind super-thin glass is imperfect. It can take as little as a temperature or pressure change to shatter the glass from expansion / contraction. Which, imo, makes it a manufacturing defect.

Your opinion is very wrong.

ive had mine since launch and i dont baby my phone and so far not a scratch on it. no case just bare phone.

This happened to my dads S6. Had to get it replaced. He went to bed and put the phone down next to him to charge. Next day woke up and picked up his phone and lil glass pieces are on nightstand.

Sure he might of put it down too hard? But it had an otter case on it. So....not sure wtf happened.

Same thing happens to the LG G5. I'm guessing they use the same type of glass.

I've never broken a piece of glass on my phone and had somehow mysteriously broke the camera glass cover on my G5 within a week of owning it. Always in a case, never dropped. Just went to take a photo and got blur. Google the G5 and you'll see other people with the same result.

I purchased a replacement piece for my phone, and they are wafer thin. So I'm guessing this type of glass may be scratch resistant but prone to shatter.

This definitely existed and also appeared on LG G5 AFAIK. That is why for LGG5 there is a thin film covering the glass to prevent it from shattering.

my first thought was some was shoot with a twenty two and got really lucky but the servo motor is behind the glass I can't think of way it could zoom out and shatter tempered glass but that is most likely what happened to the glass unless someone disassembled the phone hit it with a dye bank and hammer...

How many S7's have been sold? Could be a defect in some of the glass (or do they use sapphire?) but hey churn out a minimally investigated article about 1 user, some forum posts with "hundreds of replies" and a google search for MOAR CLICKS!

I am willing to bet the glass was already damaged and it spontaneously cracked.... but I could be wrong. I remember watching a Jerry Rig scratch test video, where the V20's camera glass cracked shortly after he scratched it. Check out the below video:

I have dropped my s7 edge a couple of times.. and i have that same case. Zero cracks anywhere. I do however..NOT put my $700+ phone in my pants pocket. That being said, the s7 is a great phone, but since sammy started updating the phone every 10 minutes... my battery life has totally sucked. Cell stand by draining 66% !! Just disabled LTE services... read an article on xda-forums...hope it works.

maybe the phone got tired of all the dick pics and that ws its way to cope with it

;>)

Holy crap...I thought it was just something weird that I did. Perhaps having it in the holster and hitting the seat belt or something? That is exactly what happened to mine. NEVER dropped mine and never had that happen on any of my other Sammy phones other than the S7. The replacement lens I bought is crap...can't take anything close up without it being blurred. Further than 5' or so and it's fine.

My coworker recently found that the camera glass was gone on his. There was some residual bits around the edges, but other than that... gone. It was clear that it had broken and then just fell off in his pocket though. However, in our work this was not a strange thing at all. And he never has the phone in anything protective. So I would call this blunt force effect. It seems to me that they could have gone for a slightly sturdier glass though. But at the same time, camera-glass has an effect, so it is a tossup between sturdy and picture fidelity I guess.

Back