Samsung Galaxy S6

So Samsung tried the whole lets seal the battery and no microsSD and it didn't do what they wanted. Lets hope that they learned their lesson and don't screw up the Note 5

So Samsung tried the whole lets seal the battery and no microsSD and it didn't do what they wanted. Lets hope that they learned their lesson and don't screw up the Note 5

From the initial leaks, that isn't looking so promising... :(

Hopefully August 13th will change that though!

I noticed we haven't had a few extreme pro Samsung posters come by in a while.

Maybe it has to do with the fact that they'd rather do something else on a Saturday night. Plus, nothing is going to change. People who want the best technology will continue to get the S6 until the Note 5 comes out or one of the many good enough but affordable devices like the new Moto Xs or an overpriced 1GB POS that doesn't background multitask. I knew the S6 wasn't exactly what I wanted but it's the best hold over until the Note 5 is released.

Maybe it has to do with the fact that they'd rather do something else on a Saturday night. Plus, nothing is going to change. People who want the best technology will continue to get the S6 until the Note 5 comes out or one of the many good enough but affordable devices like the new Moto Xs or an overpriced 1GB POS that doesn't background multitask. I knew the S6 wasn't exactly what I wanted but it's the best hold over until the Note 5 is released.

Given that recent leaks (such as from Evan Blass) suggest that the Note 5 is basically an S6 with a larger screen and a pen, what are you going to do then? And what happens when the iPhone 6S ships with 2GB of RAM and effectively eliminates what you believe to be the iPhone's biggest flaw? The S6 is a fine phone outside of its mediocre battery life, but you can't deny that people are drifting toward the competition... including the company you hate the most.

Given that recent leaks (such as from Evan Blass) suggest that the Note 5 is basically an S6 with a larger screen and a pen, what are you going to do then?

Exactly what I want to begin with, everything that the S6 offers but larger with pen.

And what happens when the iPhone 6S ships with 2GB of RAM and effectively eliminates what you believe to be the iPhone's biggest flaw?

Why would anyone wait until 2015/2016 to pay full price for a half ass copy of the 2GB Galaxy Note II from 2012? Making the iPhone screen bigger and adding 2GB DRAM doesn't make it a Note. It's still just a bigger iPod with a lot of missing features and limitations but I can understand the attraction for non-power users, tech illiterates, people who find more than one button or too capable of a device to be confusing, etc. I would probably give my grandparents an iPhone rather than a Note or S.

Not looking forward to old age where I stay in on a Saturday night and gripe about phones. At least there's testosterone replacement.

Given that recent leaks (such as from Evan Blass) suggest that the Note 5 is basically an S6 with a larger screen and a pen, what are you going to do then? And what happens when the iPhone 6S ships with 2GB of RAM and effectively eliminates what you believe to be the iPhone's biggest flaw? The S6 is a fine phone outside of its mediocre battery life, but you can't deny that people are drifting toward the competition... including the company you hate the most.

The note being a larger version if the S6 isn't a terrible thing, I'm still anxiously awaiting the release as I've been a big fan of the series for a while now. It would sell like shit though, competition would have a blast with the anti marketing they could do on it!

I'm still basically sold on the new iPhone though, it would have to have a pretty catastrophic release at this point to prevent me from switching.

Someone sounds bitter. I love it.

Right?

The iPhone 6s Plus will be my next phone. Skipped the 6 for the 6s. Not that there is anything wrong with my S6.

but I can understand the attraction for non-power users, tech illiterates, people who find more than one button or too capable of a device to be confusing, etc

I can see the attraction to android users too. I mean their biggest market is 3rd world countries where people can't afford iPhones. :D

I can see the attraction to android users too. I mean their biggest market is 3rd world countries where people can't afford iPhones. :D

Plus who wants to deal with shit like regular iOS updates on a mobile device?!? Most Android phones never get updates in a timely manner, so the phones just start perfect :p

iOS needs more frequent updates to catch up. Looking forward to a properly working on-screen keyboard in iOS 9 where it'll show lower and upper case keys, slide over, split view, picture in picture, etc. that Android Jelly Bean has had for years.

Don't knock 3rd world countries. Apple relied on China to meet sales numbers but since China is slowing down Apple is looking to India, etc.

I'd laugh, but I know you're serious.

So I'm just going to cry.

Seriously, though. Please explain a "Properly functioning keyboard"

A keyboard that has properly working functions keys. Press F5. See, your keyboard can function too!!

I've got an S4 I love. Whatever is going to be $50 will be next phone. The tech has caught up / is good enough. No $600+ flagship model chasing here.

Question, are we all so afraid that mi7chy aka TTL will shit on and shut down an iPhone 6S thread, just like all the other iPhone threads, or something?

Question, are we all so afraid that mi7chy aka TTL will shit on and shut down an iPhone 6S thread, just like all the other iPhone threads, or something?

Didn't you and Mi7chy serve a ban for name calling with each other? Do you not learn from your mistakes? Also, from a grammatical perspective, your sentence makes my head hurt.

Didn't you and Mi7chy serve a ban for name calling with each other? Do you not learn from your mistakes? Also, from a grammatical perspective, your sentence makes my head hurt.
No (as in you got the reason wrong). Ask Aurelius and T4rd if you didn't witness it for yourself. See PM.

Last edited:
Just ignore his tantrum is the advice from the man of the site because no one has time to clean after that shiii. At least I still have my XDA posting privilege. :p

is this social hour? lets get back on topic.

new update released by t-mobile for the S6 did improve battery life, but performance is still the same, LAGGY

I can recommend trying out the engineering bootloader, you can play around with all the good stuff without tripping Knox. Will cost you the use of the fingerprint scanner, but I think it's worth it. You can always return to stock.

is this social hour? lets get back on topic.

new update released by t-mobile for the S6 did improve battery life, but performance is still the same, LAGGY

I'm on Verizon and after the last update I haven't seen much lag.

However previously it feels slower than my S4 and S3 was when I first got my S4 and S3.

Overall happy with the phone, the IR blaster is amazing as is the camera, and the screen, battery life blows the S4 and S3 out of the water as well.

So Verizon this morning just updated my edge to 5.1.1. I haven't been keeping up with the latest release notes. Anything special about 5.1.1?

Who's design changed more the iPhone 5 to 6 or the Samsung 5 to 6?

That's a tough call. Samsung obviously implemented huge material changes, but the screen size on the S6 is the same as it has been for two years... and it's still unmistakably a Galaxy S. The iPhone 6 has some familiar design cues as well, but the screen sizes (and Apple's OS goals) dictated that this was going to be very different from the usual iPhone.

Not sure why we need to pick a 'winner,' really.

Just got my wife's S6 yesterday. Charged it to full immediately and I set it up when I got home. It survived right at 4 hours SoT after setting everything up and downloading/installing all her stuff onto it. That's pretty decent for all that activity, I think. I would hope it would be even better during every day usage.

I did some tests and comparisons to my M8 just for grins and was kinda surprised by some things. Although the display is outstanding in pretty much every way, I actually kinda like the whites better on my M8. Maybe it's just because it's what I'm used to, but whites are much warmer (on any display mode, I tried them all) on the S6 than my M8. That doesn't mean the S6 is less accurate, it's probably just something weird with my eyes, but the whites on my M8 looked completely white (not blue either) to me, whereas the S6 is a bit warmer/reddish. Other than that, the AMOLED destroys all, hah.

Probably the best part of this phone though that no one really talks about is the UFS (internal storage) memory speeds. It's insane how fast it is and I think is pretty much responsible for how smooth the S6 is overall. Apps install/uninstall super fast and the phone doesn't hang like crazy while apps are installing/updating in the background, which is an issue that I see plague every other Android device.

Anyone else experiencing lots of slowdown. My Verizon S6 has been lagging badly.... :|

Anyone else experiencing lots of slowdown. My Verizon S6 has been lagging badly.... :|

No worries, Samsung will fix the lag in the S7 and Android will fix it in Marshmallow. For real this time. Really!

Ok but really... Turn off everything you aren't using and try removing apps that may be running as background processes.

They're not getting my money in the next round. Not sure, at this point, who will....

No slowdown, just overheating after about 30-45 mins of some games and 2160p 3D movies on VR. Anything that really stresses it needs at least a tiny bit of breeze in a 76oF room I've noticed.

For slow performance, this isn't S6 specific but any Android device in my experience, is wipe the cache, reset to factory, set it up as a new phone after backing up pics/etc., and then install just the apps you need. Sometimes a single bad program can cause lots of CPU cycles and issues, and its easier this way than troubleshooting what the problem child is.

To do that on the S6 press volume up, power, and main button down at the same time with the unit powered off. When it boots up use volume to scroll to clear cache, then when that's done factory reset. Setup as a new device rather than restore settings. See if that makes a difference.

A lot of people may hate, but this is by far the highest performance phone I've used to date.

Wife's GS6 is staying pretty fast and snappy so far, but it's only a week or so old now. I'm sure after a couple updates Samsung will ruin it as they have with their previous phones. She wanted the best camera phone available though and the G4 was too big for her, so this was pretty much her only choice. Personally camera is last on my priority list on a phone; my M8 does fine for me and everyone always rags on its camera. I want to get the new Moto X Pure, but I'll miss not having an IR blaster pretty bad :(.

And, battery drain! Mine will be great one day, lasting until 8PM, and the next it's on the charger by 3PM with the same use as the prior day. WTH!?

Can this damn thing be truly rooted yet? Running 5.0.2 with build xxxxAOE2

5.0.2 is a really bad update from Google... I had an HTC One M8 on it, and got an iPhone. That's how pissed off I was at Google.

@CHANG3D You mean a bad update from Samsung? My S3 has been running like a champ since I updated to (CM) lollipop 5.0.2, aside from one or two builds since that had worse battery life. 5.1.1 is where it's at. ;)

Battery life is at least 1.5x what it was with kitkat.

I done a factory reset and it is snappy again. Battery life is better but not as good as it was when I first got it. It took the 5.1.1 update after the reset so I'm not sure if it is the update or phone on battery life.

Back