Samsung Galaxy S6

I can't remember the last time I've used the jack or the speakers on my phone. I'm almost 100% BT now.

For me, BT audio almost always sounds like shit compared to using good headphones in the 3.5 jack of a phone.

The phone is going to get good reviews from people / sites who have no intention -- and have never had any intention -- of buying an Android phone.

Meanwhile Samsung's actual target demographic is going to look at this thing and ask WTF?

So good job Sammy. All you did was get an atta boy out of people who were never going to buy your phone.

it is important to realise these review sites need to keep a good relationship with the vendors so they can keep getting review samples and exclusive news to drive traffic to their sites.

The s6 may be a good phone (or may not be) but to say one cannot find something to complain about loses credibility for the review, there is no such thing as a perfect phone and every smartphone I have owned has had its own flaws none of which get pointed out on reviews.

galaxy ace - shipped in unfit for purpose state, only became viable to use after flashing a cm7.2 rom and running an agressive profile using a custom app to stop apps auto starting etc. the hardware on the phone was simply no good for a at the time very bloated touchwiz. no notification led.
s2 - much lower build quality than the ace (even tho was a flagship), no notification led.
s3 - still lower build quality than the ace, not enough ram for its intended usage, home button too small, phone too hard to pick up due to curved edges and been too thin at edges. back very easy to scratch. only 1x1 mimo
s5 901f (all this probably also applies to 900f) - although finally an improvement in build quality, non scratching back, usb cover, metal at edges, thicker edges, straight edges so easier to pickup and very good cpu/gpu/battery specs it suffers from a very bad speaker. The first phone I have owned that is very snappy in its performance out the box, touchwiz on this phone is no slower than it is on the s6. Also no slower than AOSP.
oneplusone - phone is bit heavy, harder to pick up than the s5 bit easier than the s3, only usb2, only 1x1 mimo, cyanogen mod is a shadow of its 7.2 days. screen is poor quality vs samsung phones. not only visually but also notiebly smears a LOT easier.
s6 - s3 problems make a comeback, no usb cover, no water resistance, edges too thin and curved making it too hard to pick up (not single reviewer said these things, they all instead getting hyper over its aesthetics), clear iphone clone, no removable battery/sdcard, no usb3. upsides are a finally front facing speaker after years of waiting, nice big home button and themes in touchwiz, although default theme is a ugly white colour.

it is important to realise these review sites need to keep a good relationship with the vendors so they can keep getting review samples and exclusive news to drive traffic to their sites.

The s6 may be a good phone (or may not be) but to say one cannot find something to complain about loses credibility for the review, there is no such thing as a perfect phone and every smartphone I have owned has had its own flaws none of which get pointed out on reviews.

I agree that you should question reviews that are far too glowing, no matter what the product is or who writes it. Nothing is so perfect that your complaints are limited to nitpicks. Also, I'd be wary of any GS6 review that shows up this weekend -- it's no secret that US testers only got their units at the end of the week, so stuff that goes up a day or two later is very clearly rushed.

Also, to dispel a common myth: most sites don't have to bend over backwards to please vendors and guarantee review units. The only real no-nos are if you frequently get major facts wrong or are very obviously out to get the company in question... in other words, the only stipulation is that you don't write bad reviews.

Even the fanboys agree that the ion strengthened glass in the iPhone 6/6 Plus is garbage. It's already been mentioned in this thread actually.

Only Apple does use toughened glass for the iPhone 6. It's not Gorilla Glass 4 because the product didn't even exist until two months after the iPhone shipped. Repeating a lie doesn't make it any more true, folks. With that said, I'm glad to see that the GS6 appears to be relatively good at holding up to abuse.

Only Apple does use toughened glass for the iPhone 6. It's not Gorilla Glass 4 because the product didn't even exist until two months after the iPhone shipped. Repeating a lie doesn't make it any more true, folks. With that said, I'm glad to see that the GS6 appears to be relatively good at holding up to abuse.

When he mentions that Apple should have used Gorilla Glass 4, then yes I agree he's just making a useless argument. But, they could have used Gorilla Glass 3, which would have still been better. The glass in the iPhone really is a piece of shit and it's really frustrating how mine has a ton of scratches, some pretty deep, when I haven't done anything with it except put it in my pocket and on a table. (Only the phone in my pocket, I always put my wallet/keys in the other pocket).

There's nothing stopping Apple from switching production to Gorilla Glass 4 like they switched from cheap TLC to MLC. People who buy Apple probably don't have a clue the scratches aren't normal and are too busy apologizing and praising how profitable Apple are. Little do they know that to increase profit Apple have to cut corners like with cheap aluminum, glass, NAND, SoC fab, etc. but yet they're voting the mastermind behind that, Tim Cook, as the greatest leader.

My car service shop recently tried to pull an Apple padding their profit using aftermarket Chinese parts. I made them order original German parts that I paid a premium for and had them swap it out.

And you wonder why no one takes anything you say seriously anymore.

I'm not disputing that the glass on the iPhone 6 isn't as tough as it could be (I've been fine, but I also put my phone in a microfibre pouch). However, the notion that any company could just switch glass suppliers mid-stream is... well, naively optimistic. Glass suppliers require contracts and capacity. Devices need testing. Unless there's a really quick turnaround, it's not going to happen quickly enough that you'd see much benefit versus saving it for a future iteration.

Also, there's a certain degree of irony to claiming that Apple is cutting corners on NAND memory and chip fabs when Samsung frequently provides both. So what you're saying is that if you want to cut corners, you go to Samsung. Got it.

(Of course, we both know that's not true, but it's easy to catch you in logic traps like this when you make overly broad, poorly supported statements in an attempt to peddle an "Apple must die" agenda.)

Do you all think the Note 5 will hopefully follow the S6 design ?

Would love to see a thinner and flatter Note 5 with the same materials and shape as the S6.

Do you all think the Note 5 will hopefully follow the S6 design ?

Would love to see a thinner and flatter Note 5 with the same materials and shape as the S6.

The Note line is aesthetically a larger S-model...so it'll probably follow the same design language. I'd be surprised if it varied a whole lot.

I agree that you should question reviews that are far too glowing, no matter what the product is or who writes it. Nothing is so perfect that your complaints are limited to nitpicks. Also, I'd be wary of any GS6 review that shows up this weekend -- it's no secret that US testers only got their units at the end of the week, so stuff that goes up a day or two later is very clearly rushed.

Also, to dispel a common myth: most sites don't have to bend over backwards to please vendors and guarantee review units. The only real no-nos are if you frequently get major facts wrong or are very obviously out to get the company in question... in other words, the only stipulation is that you don't write bad reviews.

Well expect most reviews for the iPhone 6 and Galaxy S6 to be glamorized.

It's an industry driven by money. Carriers make the most money for selling the newest phones, so expect them to advertise the hell out of the Galaxy S6.

Last edited:
All of this glass will break if you hit it right. I have dropped tons of phones and very rarely have a break. But that one time the woman flipped the phone into a corner of a metal table the screen shattered. The point is its reasonable you could throw a phone very hard on a surface and it wouldn't break, then again it could have broken too. And the only difference is the angle it hits on. You catch the corner just right or create a hot spot with something jabbing into it and its going to crack. Lets see if others will try randomly throwing phones like that during reviews.

That's said the video made me sort of ponder one thing. What if the glass being curved actually does a little bit to resist breaking because it makes it far less like you will get a good direct corner hit the type that often causes the glass to shatter if it catches something right? Or maybe Samsung really did do a good job bracing the glass with something rubbery to absorb impact.

There's nothing stopping Apple from switching production to Gorilla Glass 4 like they switched from cheap TLC to MLC. People who buy Apple probably don't have a clue the scratches aren't normal and are too busy apologizing and praising how profitable Apple are. Little do they know that to increase profit Apple have to cut corners like with cheap aluminum, glass, NAND, SoC fab, etc. but yet they're voting the mastermind behind that, Tim Cook, as the greatest leader.

My car service shop recently tried to pull an Apple padding their profit using aftermarket Chinese parts. I made them order original German parts that I paid a premium for and had them swap it out.

By pretty much all reports Apple is using Gorilla Glass in the iPhone 6. Apple has used Gorilla Glass in just about every single iPhone ever.

http://www.cnet.com/news/cornings-newest-gorilla-glass-gets-twice-as-tough/
Gorilla Glass is used in Apple's new iPhone 6 and 6 Plus, Samsung's Galaxy Note Edge and dozens of other phones, tablets and smartwatches.

http://www.cultofmac.com/304120/corning-gorilla-glass-4/
Corning’s relationship with Apple looked doomed earlier this year. Having manufactured the touchscreens for every iPhone since 2007, the Gorilla Glass bosses were all but sure they were being ditched in favor of synthetic sapphire crystal, set to be supplied by Apple’s hot new partner, GT Advanced Technologies.

To be clear, I have never owned an iPhone. My only apple product ever owned was an iPod Video (the very first one that still looked like the classic iPod). Apple doesn't disclose their glass supplier, but pretty much every single sign points towards Corning Gorilla Glass. So I think it is pointless to be attacking Apple on this.

The Galaxy S6 & S6 Edge use Corning Gorilla Glass 4.

The iPhone 6 & 6 Plus use Corning Gorilla Glass 3.

That's a world of a difference already.

The Galaxy S6 & S6 Edge use Corning Gorilla Glass 4.

The iPhone 6 & 6 Plus use Corning Gorilla Glass 3.

That's a world of a difference already.

The iPhone 1 uses Gorilla Glass 1

The Galaxy S10,000 uses Gorilla Glass 3,582

What is your point? The iPhone uses the best Gorilla Glass available at the time it was released....

People actually still aren't sure if the iPhone 6 used gorilla glass or not. All they mentioned is ion strengthened, which to the trolls who think it's just "cheap China crap", is exactly what Cornings stuff is called.

All of this glass will break if you hit it right. I have dropped tons of phones and very rarely have a break. But that one time the woman flipped the phone into a corner of a metal table the screen shattered. The point is its reasonable you could throw a phone very hard on a surface and it wouldn't break, then again it could have broken too. And the only difference is the angle it hits on. You catch the corner just right or create a hot spot with something jabbing into it and its going to crack. Lets see if others will try randomly throwing phones like that during reviews.

That's said the video made me sort of ponder one thing. What if the glass being curved actually does a little bit to resist breaking because it makes it far less like you will get a good direct corner hit the type that often causes the glass to shatter if it catches something right? Or maybe Samsung really did do a good job bracing the glass with something rubbery to absorb impact.

That was one of the advantages to having a curved screen and that's the better shock absorption. Granted all the shock is being contained in the phone, its not like the energy from the shock gets dissipated out of the phone.

People actually still aren't sure if the iPhone 6 used gorilla glass or not. All they mentioned is ion strengthened, which to the trolls who think it's just "cheap China crap", is exactly what Cornings stuff is called.

That is because Apple never says who their suppliers are on stuff. All signs point to Gorilla Glass though, I linked two articles above, here is a third: http://www.forbes.com/sites/greatsp...lla-glass-on-iphone-6-bodes-well-for-corning/

There is plenty more evidence pointing to Gorilla Glass as well...

That is because Apple never says who their suppliers are on stuff. All signs point to Gorilla Glass though, I linked two articles above, here is a third: http://www.forbes.com/sites/greatsp...lla-glass-on-iphone-6-bodes-well-for-corning/

There is plenty more evidence pointing to Gorilla Glass as well...

In that case the cheap China crap is actually Gorilla Glass 3, lol. In all seriousness, they better have fixed the scratch issues on the 4th iteration then, because it was absolute trash on gorilla glass 3.

In that case the cheap China crap is actually Gorilla Glass 3, lol. In all seriousness, they better have fixed the scratch issues on the 4th iteration then, because it was absolute trash on gorilla glass 3.

Well I do believe Gorilla Glass is manufactured in China so :D

Well I do believe Gorilla Glass is manufactured in China so :D

Shhhh, don't let them know that their precious Gorilla Glass 4 on the Samsung is also made in China, it would make them look silly again! :p

Same thing about Foxconn not being an electronics manufacturer according to you, the burden of proof is on you to prove that Apple isn't using Gorilla Glass. All evidence right now suggests if not completely confirm that you are completely wrong yet again. Just shut up already.

That's accurate. It's well-established that Steve Jobs goaded Corning into making Gorilla Glass, but Apple has never, ever given Corning direct credit. To quote a scientist that spoke to the New York Times:

“It’s the screen of every touchscreen phone, like the iPhone and Android phone, plus the iPad and iPod Touch. It’s an amazing story. Corning invented this stuff in the ’60s, but didn’t know what to do with it. Then a few years ago, someone showed a piece of it to Steve Jobs. The guy dropped a piece of the glass into a bag full of keys and shook it hard; it came out without a scratch on it! Jobs immediately seized on the idea of using it for his iPhone. Today, Apple buys practically all the Gorilla Glass that Corning can make. Apple is the world’s No. 1 consumer of it.”

When Apple talks about "ion exchange glass" for devices like the iPhone, it's referring to Corning's tech.

That's even more impressive.

An 8 feet drop without any cracks on the screen.

I know for sure that the HTC One M9 and iPhone 6 can't do that.

How can you be sure that HTC One M9 can't do that? Because Samsung said so?

M7/M8 is also known to be one of the most durable phone.

Because it fared rather poorly in all drop tests I've seen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTwuf2egLN4

Which means that the HTC One M9 doesn't use Corning's newest glass technology.
It could probably be cheap Chinese glass.

Uh.......

Not sure if you are trolling or not, HTC One has been using corning for every generation, they just dont advertise that since there aren't anything to talk about.

The video shows that the phone display is facing the ground on impact, its pretty obvious that it will crack. There is a test that did similar test already on S6, the glass also crack.
It doesn't take a genius to figure out display on impact would crack the glass. ;)

The video that shows earlier was done by a korean girl, and on a flat plastic ground.
Something should be pretty obvious..... :D

Not saying S6 is not durable, just saying it still crack if you drop it on the same scenario.

Because it fared rather poorly in all drop tests I've seen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTwuf2egLN4

Which means that the HTC One M9 doesn't use Corning's newest glass technology.
It could probably be cheap Chinese glass.

One drop KO compared to like S6's five. HTC can use near BK financial situation as an excuse for using cheap glass.

Apple, on the other hand, has no excuse for the iPhone 6+ one drop KO from a lower height. If they're going to loot their customers on profit at least use decent quality materials. Don't want to hear BS excuse that Gorilla Glass 4 wasn't available because Galaxy Alpha was the first to have GG4 and it was released the same time in Sept 2014 as iPhone 6/6+.

http://www.corning.com/news_center/news_releases/2014/2014120902.aspx

https://youtu.be/eGxlm82hWDM?t=124

The video that shows earlier was done by a korean girl, and on a flat plastic ground.
Something should be pretty obvious..... :D

Not saying S6 is not durable, just saying it still crack if you drop it on the same scenario.

Just want to say that the video was uploaded via a Chinese website and the language on the phone when she was scrolling around was Chinese. Also plastic ground or not, I'd say she was whipping that phone down with a passion of a diehard apple fanboy.

Back