Samsung Galaxy S6

You do realize that by Samsung using Sony's sensors it DOESN'T prove their superiority (although I am NOT saying Samsung's are better). Samsung Electronics BIDS against competitors for the chance to put their parts in a Samsung phone. Just because it's a Samsung product, doesn't mean it's automatically used in a Samsung product. This is a VERY well known fact.

+1.

Samsung didn't use its own ISOCELL sensors because most likely they had other reasons to use the Sony sensors instead. And it probably wasn't because the Sony sensors were better in any way.

+1.

Samsung didn't use its own ISOCELL sensors because most likely they had other reasons to use the Sony sensors instead. And it probably wasn't because the Sony sensors were better in any way.
The Samsung sensors clearly worked out well in the GS5. Samsung sensor didn't have OIS, and the Sony one does. And that's just one way... No need to continue.

Last edited:

agree thats actually a very good review, most android review videos tend to be 1-2 mins like a very quick rundown.

I noticed there is a themes setting in the menu which is new for touchwiz, is a shame he didnt show what themes can choose from, as I am curious is if a black background available.

Also the double press of home button doesnt open camera on my s5 so I guess thats new for s6.

agree thats actually a very good review, most android review videos tend to be 1-2 mins like a very quick rundown.

I noticed there is a themes setting in the menu which is new for touchwiz, is a shame he didnt show what themes can choose from, as I am curious is if a black background available.

Also the double press of home button doesnt open camera on my s5 so I guess thats new for s6.

It's new, I doubt they will be bringing this feature to their older phones.

Well the water droplet sounds are gone. And no more "nature-inspired" themes.

Good riddance!

Well the water droplet sounds are gone. And no more "nature-inspired" themes.

Good riddance!

Hah, yeah definitely glad they dropped that annoying crap. I hope they changed the default notification tone from that annoying whistle too.

I think all phones should come with no default ring/notification tones set so the user has to set a custom one themselves. Everyone in my office with an iPhone has the default ringtone set so when one phone rings, they all rush to see if it's theirs, lol. I've been tempted to troll them by playing it randomly on my PC or phone just to get them to change it.

Hah, yeah definitely glad they dropped that annoying crap. I hope they changed the default notification tone from that annoying whistle too.

I think all phones should come with no default ring/notification tones set so the user has to set a custom one themselves. Everyone in my office with an iPhone has the default ringtone set so when one phone rings, they all rush to see if it's theirs, lol. I've been tempted to troll them by playing it randomly on my PC or phone just to get them to change it.

OMG isn't that true! I went in PURPOSELY and changed my ringtones on my iPhone to ones that no one else seems to use. There is still a problem... some apps use default tones and can't be changed. :(

That 40 minute video was holy wtf levels of good. 14% battery was used during that whole video which I would say averaged the upper end of moderate usage with low periods of heavy use - extrapolate that to a full charge and drain and it's just shy of 5 hours of moderate to (sparingly) heavy use. For me that's perfect seeing as I rarely get 2-3 hours a day at my job (even on those long 12 hour days) to be fucking off on my phone much less 5 hours.

I will miss the ability to upgrade storage and pull a battery swap on that once in a blue moon day I'm counting ceiling tiles but realistically I don't even use my 16+2GB phone+microSD in my S4 right now and I've only ever swapped batteries on 8+ hour car rides because I was too cheap/lazy to go buy a car charger or actually memorize directions and opted to Google Maps 450 miles of roads without turning the screen off.

Also, I know its TouchWiz but holy shit that UI was moving pretty fast, fast enough for me at least to think that any faster would offer a significantly better experience.

It's new, I doubt they will be bringing this feature to their older phones.

they dont need to, I can add double press to camera easily using wanam xposed if I wanted, but I checked to see if its there by stock.

The phone seems like it will be great. Now they just need to release a developer edition of it and I will hop on board. If I can't get a fully unlocked and rootable one though no sale.

If BGR isn't bashing it, and it's not an Apple product, then it HAS to be good. They are so pro Apple and anti everything else it's sickening.
Like I said before, Samsung's biggest problems were TouchWiz and design. If they fix those, there's nothing to complain about. Luckily, the S6 Edge does have great design and the new TouchWiz is actually not bloated and laggy now. So there really isn't anything to complain about the Edge. However, I don't like the regular version's design.

Like I said before, Samsung's biggest problems were TouchWiz and design. If they fix those, there's nothing to complain about. Luckily, the S6 Edge does have great design and the new TouchWiz is actually not bloated and laggy now. So there really isn't anything to complain about the Edge. However, I don't like the regular version's design.

That will be seen once units are in people's hands in day-to-day use.

I'm willing to bet money that people will quickly rediscover why OEMs abandoned glass-back phones....as well as how fragile the Edge's screen is, as no case can really protect that screen from drop impacts.

That will be seen once units are in people's hands in day-to-day use.

I'm willing to bet money that people will quickly rediscover why OEMs abandoned glass-back phones....as well as how fragile the Edge's screen is, as no case can really protect that screen from drop impacts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDS9T5dy7GI&feature=youtu.be

Yep, shattered into a million pieces, the fabric of the universe tore open as soon as it hit the ground /s . On a serious note, he didn't drop the edge, just the S6

Drops happen all different ways, no one plans to drop their phone. And certainly no one drops it like that guy did as lightly as he possibly could, drops happen by accident and they often happen when you are moving the phone which often results in throwing it up in the air or imparting extra velocity on it. These drop tests are always a joke, just like the scratch tests. Take a soft metaled object like a key or a coin and scratch your window at home. You will see it doesn't scratch it. Wow cheap ass float glass doesn't even scratch, now take a fine grain of diamond in sand that falls in your pocket. Scratches any phone with no problem game over. This is what you are really supposed to watch out for. Yet I am unaware of any major review site that gets out sand paper and runs it over the glass on a phone. At the end of the day every phone needs to be protected with a screen protector or you must accept that scratches will happen unless you are some super clean person who never has a grain of sand anywhere on them. This is the same reason I like phone cases that raise the phone screen off tables so when I put a phone face down it doesn't run directly on any sand or other particles on the surface.

Lots of galaxy S6 phones are going to be seen with cracked glass on the back.

On a somewhat related note I saw an article that claimed 75% of smart phone users keep their phones in cases. But of the 25% that do not 70% of those are android users. This survey brings up several interesting points. 1 Samsung will be at increased risk as android users are statistically less likely to use cases of having more broken glass phones and this may create a bad public image of the phone with lots of people walking around with cracked backs and possibly screens. 2nd it shows that a very high percentage of iphone users use cases which means all the hype and bullshit about apple design is just that bull shit, since most users will shove their wonderfully crafted phone into an ugly case it is obvious they don't care about the "world famous apple design"

If BGR isn't bashing it, and it's not an Apple product, then it HAS to be good. They are so pro Apple and anti everything else it's sickening.

They like to sneak in a pro-Android clickbait article every once in a while to keep up the pretense of being 'unbiased'. Don't let it fool you.

I'm pretty sure Verge/Ars/Anandtech, i.e. the usual Apple fanboys, will damn it with faint praise.

They like to sneak in a pro-Android clickbait article every once in a while to keep up the pretense of being 'unbiased'. Don't let it fool you.

I'm pretty sure Verge/Ars/Anandtech, i.e. the usual Apple fanboys, will damn it with faint praise.

And any site praising it to the heavens is of course accurate...It's like any site that doesn't praise Android is an Apple fanboy site here. BGR is a joke, and it's OK to call them out on it, but seriously, Anandtech? They run a bunch of benchmarks that most other sites seem to ignore, you can always ignore whatever conclusion they come to and just use the benchmarks to base your opinion on.

And any site praising it to the heavens is of course accurate...It's like any site that doesn't praise Android is an Apple fanboy site here. BGR is a joke, and it's OK to call them out on it, but seriously, Anandtech? They run a bunch of benchmarks that most other sites seem to ignore, you can always ignore whatever conclusion they come to and just use the benchmarks to base your opinion on.

I'm not saying Anandtech is a bad site. Neither is Ars. Its just that their Apple reviews tend to be rather fanboyish, which their own readers (on their forums) complain about as well.

My own opinion, which I posted before, is that the S6 is getting good reviews because of 'premium' materials, glass/metal and 'design', which is exactly the kind of superficial nonsense for which Apple is made fun of. But that seems to be what works in today's world, and its sad Samsung had to go this route and lose the things that made the Galaxy line special.

I'm not saying Anandtech is a bad site. Neither is Ars. Its just that their Apple reviews tend to be rather fanboyish, which their own readers (on their forums) complain about as well.

My own opinion, which I posted before, is that the S6 is getting good reviews because of 'premium' materials, glass/metal and 'design', which is exactly the kind of superficial nonsense for which Apple is made fun of. But that seems to be what works in today's world, and its sad Samsung had to go this route and lose the things that made the Galaxy line special.

I don't think it's only the feel, although that is a big part of smartphones now. The Note line still seems to be the one to get if you really care about stuff like removable battery/SD cards. It just doesn't make sense for the general public anymore. Based on the reviews I've seen a lot of the praise is also for the screen, removal of a lot of the annoying Touch Wiz garbage and the camera. The looks are a big part of it, but not the entire reason.

The phone is going to get good reviews from people / sites who have no intention -- and have never had any intention -- of buying an Android phone.

Meanwhile Samsung's actual target demographic is going to look at this thing and ask WTF?

So good job Sammy. All you did was get an atta boy out of people who were never going to buy your phone.

The first (and only) smartphone AnandTech had ever given an award to is the HTC One M7... Yeah, they are just so Apple biased... /s

SwiftKey Flow just gave me Asshole when I swiped Apple again.

I wouldn't be surprised if AnandTech gives an award to Galaxy S6 Edge.

The phone is going to get good reviews from people / sites who have no intention -- and have never had any intention -- of buying an Android phone.

Meanwhile Samsung's actual target demographic is going to look at this thing and ask WTF?

So good job Sammy. All you did was get an atta boy out of people who were never going to buy your phone.

I think you're a bit out of touch with the majority of samsungs target demographic. This is the Galaxy, not the Note line.

Interesting takeaways from AnandTech's early benchmarks:

- The GS6 is great in general computation benchmarks, but gets beaten by the iPhone 6 in web browsing (not such as surprise there, since the iPhone has long been a web champ)

- Despite DisplayMate's early report, the iPhone 6 is ever-so-slightly better in terms of accuracy. Still, the GS6 has a pretty amazing display considering that it gets close in accuracy *and* has better resolution and contrast ratios.

Benchmarks are benchmarks.

Web browsing benchmarks are pretty useless. Pretty much every phone on the market these days have about the same web browsing speeds.

And the GPU performance of the iPhone 6 is a bit misleading since it's not even running at 1080p.

The Anandtech review only had one CPU benchmark. And there, the Exynos 7420 beats the Apple A8.

I'd be amazed if the Note 5 didn't adopt the same design and do away with battery/sd cards.

Its actually quite ironic that HTC, Sony, LG all removed sd card support, and now they've added it back, while Samsung has removed it. KitKat removed sd card support and there was a huge backlash, so Lollipop added it back.

Its a total inversion.

I'd be amazed if the Note 5 didn't adopt the same design and do away with battery/sd cards.

Its actually quite ironic that HTC, Sony, LG all removed sd card support, and now they've added it back, while Samsung has removed it. KitKat removed sd card support and there was a huge backlash, so Lollipop added it back.

Its a total inversion.

IMO we don't need SD cards or removable batteries anymore.

I can't think of one time where I needed to think about charging my phone during work.

And the native wireless charging on the Galaxy S6 mitigates this problem since the wireless charging dock acts as a spare battery.

I think you're a bit out of touch with the majority of samsungs target demographic. This is the Galaxy, not the Note line.

I think he has pretty valid points. I know a ton of people with Samsung galaxy S phones and a lot of them are iphone converts. One reason many converted was they had bad experiences with dead batteries in iphones. They may not update their thinking and knee jerk buy a galaxy S6 and be pretty disappointed when they realize they just bought back into a lot of what they left apple to get away from. BTW you know the 2 most common reasons I know people pick the galaxy S over all other android phones? 1 it was cheaper than the note, 2 it was smaller than the note. To me this has always been a completely ignored issue. The whole point is these people wanted the galaxy note, the galaxy note is Samsungs sports car that makes people want to be in the Samsung camp. The notion that the galaxy note is a niche device is ridiculously out dated thinking. Samsungs modern galaxy note sales are often touted as being close in sales pace to the galaxy S and they sell more galaxy notes in a quarter than most of their competitors (HTC, LG) sell of their best flagship in a year. For instance one article said the note sold 10 million unites in 2 months and its galaxy S predecessor did that in 50 days. Now to me that doesn't sound like the huge difference people make it out to be and it certainly doesn't sound like a niche devices when you consider the big competitors like HTC and LG might not even sell 10 million of their flagship in a year. But nobody calls an HTC one a niche device.

Convenient how Apple-employed Anandtech don't clearly specify if they're using the unoptimized Chrome browser vs the optimized built-in browser. The one web benchmark that puts the S6 in favorable light from using the optimized browser is hidden at the bottom of the page. They also conveniently compare to iPhone 6 which has a much lower 1334x750 resolution while leaving out iPhone 6 Plus which at 1080p wouldn't do as well. The truth they want to avoid saying is like-for-like synthetic web testing using optimized browser on both devices the S6 at 2560x1440 resolution is 93% the performance of iPhone 6 at a much lower 1334x750 resolution. Not sure why they prioritize synthetic web benchmarks anyway since it doesn't really say anything when even an old 2012 Note II with Chrome scrolls faster than iPhone 6 and 6+ with optimized Safari and it doesn't touch upon user experience with tab reload issue.

http://gizmodo.com/the-samsung-galaxy-s6-has-as-much-bloatware-as-ever-1693717539

TLDR:
Samsung Says: "We are reducing the amount of bloatware on touchwiz!"
Samsung Does: Adds MORE bloatware. 56 items.. compared to the Note 4's 50

Samsung Says: "You can remove un-wanted apps"
Samsung Does: LOL JK you cant. You can disable them though just like every other bloated touchwiz phone you have ever owned.

But but but LLoose.. dude.. c'mon.. you can root and flash your own roms brotato. Who doesn't root their own phone?!? How long did it take for someone to develop a root method for the S5? How about the Note 4?

It's pretty bad when Android fans like myself have to segregate into a different group because most stock skins are just terrible. For me its stock android or bust.

Last edited:
http://gizmodo.com/the-samsung-galaxy-s6-has-as-much-bloatware-as-ever-1693717539

TLDR:
Samsung Says: "We are reducing the amount of bloatware on touchwiz!"
Samsung Does: Adds MORE bloatware. 56 items.. compared to the Note 4's 50

Samsung Says: "You can remove un-wanted apps"
Samsung Does: LOL JK you cant. You can disable them though just like every other bloated touchwiz phone you have ever owned.

But but but LLoose.. dude.. c'mon.. you can root and flash your own roms brotato. Who doesn't root their own phone?!? How long did it take for someone to develop a root method for the S5? How about the Note 4?

It's pretty bad when Android fans like myself have to segregate into a different group because most stock skins are just terrible. For me its stock android or bust.

Amen :cool:

I am shocked how much the new metal and glass body has hypnotized Android guys, into now thinking the S6 is the cats meow and best Android phone out there :rolleyes:

It still has Touchwiz :rolleyes:

Still has old outdated hardware keys, not software keys like Google wants :rolleyes:

Can't remove the bloat. On the ATT S6, can I permanently delete the carrier crapware Nope. Can I delete all Samsung shitty apps I will never use, which is 90% of Touchwiz., nope. :rolleyes:

Worse battery life than the S5 :rolleyes:

No SD Card :rolleyes:

Not waterproof anymore :rolleyes:

Only thing going for the S6 is the awesome screen, that's it.

Amen :cool:

I am shocked how much the new metal and glass body has hypnotized Android guys, into now thinking the S6 is the cats meow and best Android phone out there :rolleyes:

It still has Touchwiz :rolleyes:

Still has old outdated hardware keys, not software keys like Google wants :rolleyes:

Can't remove the bloat. On the ATT S6, can I permanently delete the carrier crapware Nope. Can I delete all Samsung shitty apps I will never use, which is 90% of Touchwiz., nope. :rolleyes:

Worse battery life than the S5 :rolleyes:

No SD Card :rolleyes:

Not waterproof anymore :rolleyes:

Only thing going for the S6 is the awesome screen, that's it.

It still has TouchWiz, but at least it feels responsive and light in a way that many earlier Samsung phones didn't.

The hardware keys... well, I'm inclined to say that's a matter of personal preference. I prefer software, but I'm not averse to physical buttons.

And I'd say there's more to the GS6 than the screen. The camera seems to be much better. The fingerprint reader is definitely better (if just because it took important cues from Apple)... and yes, design matters for something you're gonna hold every day.

Well my ride on the android train has come to an end as i have android fatigue. I'm tired that the only way to get an android device bloat free is to root or get a nexus. I'm tired that updates take forever and that Google hasn't laid the update gauntlet down to the carriers to help out the oem's. I'm just shocked at how mashed together lollipop looks and functions. Google dropped the ball on Lollipop and it shows with how fast they have had to redo aspects of lollipop.

I'm glad I don't put all my eggs into one ecosystem and don't run many apps so I'm free to go roam on other platforms. With this phones, HTC release, and android lollipop's poor effort I going to have to take a sabbatical from android for a long period of time.

I think I prefer the hardware keys... at least on a phone. On a tablet the software keys work better since you often hold it in either landscape or portrait orientation.

The phone display has too little real estate to waste space on software keys... and software keys do seem kind of... rinky-dink?

JMO.

Lollipop has me eager to throw in the towel on Android as well; though it's been a bit of a long time coming.

I just don't see too many other platforms I'm enthused with, unless I go to something really alternative like Ubuntu Phone or BB or Firefox OS or something like that. That seems like a big risk though.

Lollipop has me eager to throw in the towel on Android as well; though it's been a bit of a long time coming.

I just don't see too many other platforms I'm enthused with, unless I go to something really alternative like Ubuntu Phone or BB or Firefox OS or something like that. That seems like a big risk though.

Got me BB Passport and a Windows Phone that will receive windows 10. So I think I'm good since I don't follow trends and don't use apps much unlike most people. I'm that type of person that follows my own drum beat and never have gotten myself overly invested in these ecosystems. I guess it's easier for folks like me that basically are the lone wolves of the smartphone world that hates to be in these trends and groups.

Preliminary pricing info based on Best Buy.

contract/no contract

S6
32GB $200/$750
64GB $300/$850
128GB $400/$950

S6 Edge
32GB $300/$850
64GB $400/$950
128GB $500/$1050

Back