Samsung Galaxy S6

That only works for iFans.

The problem with Samsung chasing the iFans' fickleness is that they will never come over to somebody like Samsung or whatever. Their decisions are not based on reason but a cult-like adoration of Apple.

If Apple announced tomorrow that they were smearing buffalo crap all over the back of the iPhone 7, all the fans and reviewers out there would be singing the praises of how dried-up encrusted buffalo crap is what makes a "premium" phone and sets it apart from all the others. And iPhone owners will be sure to tell you just how much better they are than you because they have a phone ensconced in premium buffalo turds.

1. design
2. battery life

My 6+ gets 8 hours of screen on time without a single tweak to any setting. It is so reliable in this regard that I can go 2 days in between charges except on weekends. I dont even worry about battery life at all if I start the day at 100%, I know for a fact that no matter what I do, I wont drain the battery in 1 day.

my old s4 had to be rooted, and put into deep sleep, and push to check email every 30m to get 4 hours of SOT.

Until I can get 8 hours of screen on time straight out of the box from an android phone I am never coming back. It's that plain simple. I don't nearly miss torrents, downloading/uploading, reliable vpn-ing, etc as I first thought I would.

The only real thing I miss is the OLED from samsung.

Any phone with a glass back that's touched by anyone is going to look like that. Under normal ownership it's going to look the same.

FTFY.

The vids from Pocketnow were showing them constantly wiping it off with microfiber cloths, only to look like that immediately after they handled it again.

no, you're wrong.

Samsung is universally being lauded right now for their s6 design. Most sites are very positive and forums are in general agreement with this sentiment. People seem to like the design and that is everything.

No, you're wrong.

Samsung is universally being lauded right now for their S6 aesthetics, which is just a part of what makes up the ambiguous term "design". They are also being criticized by those same journalists for taking away their signature features (IP67 rating, replaceable/large battery, expandable storage) that made them stand out before. So in essence, they took one step forward and two steps back in their design. Thus making it inferior, IMO. But of course some people prioritize aesthetics over functionality, so that may not be the case for some people. But I don't think these people make up the majority of consumers, contrary to popular belief here. Everyone thinks Apple only sells iPhones because they look pretty, which may definitely factor into their sales, but it really has more to do with their software and how pretty it looks (as opposed to the hardware), functions, and how widely it is supported.

Last edited:
The Samsung Galaxy S6 will probably be Samsung's biggest release since the Galaxy S3.

The Galaxy S4 and S5 were just not designed well IMO. The Galaxy S4 was just a more angular version of the SGS3 with a slight increase in screen size. The SGS5 had a superb AMOLED display, but it was pretty much the SGS4 in almost all other regards (except software).

The SGS6 promises a lot of things like metal build, Exynos processor (over awful Snapdragon), Samsung-made camera, overhauling of software, etc. We never know what the SGS6 will look like until it officially gets announced in 3 weeks time.

I'm pretty sure Samsung will market the hell out of the SGS6. They didn't spend much on marketing for the SGS5 for some reason. The SGS3 had the most marketing followed by the SGS4.

So Samsung will spend more money on marketing for the SGS6 and they have also listened to customer's feedback and they most likely have designed a product that meets the expectations of current & former Galaxy owners. This will most likely lure some former Galaxy owners back to Samsung again. It's another tug of war game between Samsung and Apple.

I think it will most likely still be using a Sony Exmor sensor.

Called it, still using the Sony Exmor 16MP sensor and not a Samsung sensor.

Wish one of these reviewers posting these numbers would say whether the device comes encrypted or not when they run the benches.

Going to be the hardest device yet to root, nevermind bootloader unlock.

Even the T-mobile or International models, will be hard on developers ? If that true, then the choice is easy, no S6 for me, will maybe look at the M9, depending on battery life results. Or wait for the LG G4, or OnePlus Two.

Even the T-mobile or International models, will be hard on developers ? If that true, then the choice is easy, no S6 for me, will maybe look at the M9, depending on battery life results. Or wait for the LG G4, or OnePlus Two.
historically, the Exynos had always been tough to optimize for. Samsung doesn't tell developers anything. Maybe skip a generation and keep your iPhone 6. I'm gonna to skip on all Snapdragon 810 phones and wait for the Snapdragon 820. So I'm waiting for a full review of the new TouchWiz, or get an iPhone if the Apple Watch is awesome.

Of the two models, I would prefer the Edge. The regular S6 looks like Xiaomi built it... Except Xiaomi charges only $400 for it...

To be honest, I am still very satisfied with my Jailbreak iPhone 6 Plus, and I am a big Android Nerd too. I am totally open and looking to going back to Android, but looking for something really amazing to blow me away and take me away from this JB 6 Plus. And so far this S6 and M9 don't do it. But the M9 could possibly, once I see battery life results.

But right now this iPhone 6 Plus gives me the best battery life out of any smartphone I've ever owned, better than my old Note 2 which was ROM's and tweaked for battery life, better than my tweaked and kernel OnePlus One, and way better than my Nexus 6, and also much better than my old One M8 too.

And with all these Jailbreak tweaks, my 6 Plus operates very similar to a Android phone.

Let's see what LG brings out with the G4, and see what OPO does with their second phone this Spring ?

Sorry but I can not find any articles really stating the full use of a curved screen. I must be missing the point completely.

Sorry but I can not find any articles really stating the full use of a curved screen. I must be missing the point completely.

It's for style. There isn't much of a use for it other than blinking a bit while face down on a surface so you can see who is calling you.

I guess my only other concern is build quality. While I have enjoyed my samsungs both my S2 and note 3 have had unusable gps and the proximity sensor on both phones never worked. I heard the us had a gps fix but nothing in canada. Proximity was just a hardware failure.
Thank you for the answer.

To be honest, I am still very satisfied with my Jailbreak iPhone 6 Plus, and I am a big Android Nerd too. I am totally open and looking to going back to Android, but looking for something really amazing to blow me away and take me away from this JB 6 Plus. And so far this S6 and M9 don't do it. But the M9 could possibly, once I see battery life results.

But right now this iPhone 6 Plus gives me the best battery life out of any smartphone I've ever owned, better than my old Note 2 which was ROM's and tweaked for battery life, better than my tweaked and kernel OnePlus One, and way better than my Nexus 6, and also much better than my old One M8 too.

And with all these Jailbreak tweaks, my 6 Plus operates very similar to a Android phone.

Let's see what LG brings out with the G4, and see what OPO does with their second phone this Spring ?

OPO might unveil a phone...but you won't be able to buy it for 12-18 months and that is with an invite. :D

It should judging by what SSD with fast interface does for PC. Plus, it removes the variables of shit Chinese micro SD cards that introduce lag and instability because people tend to buy the cheapest ones out there and wonder why they have issues. If those throughput figures are with encryption on which it supposedly is by default with Lollipop and Samsung's enterprise security push then it should've been a big bullet point.

So.......
1) you can actually call people and talk to them on this, right?
2) it has a text function?
3) the battery actually WILL charge on that pad thing?
4) it still runs Android? right?

I watched the stream yesterday and none of the above was really addressed......but they certainly liked the shiny colors and the Gorilla glass.....they loved the words innovative, next and cool.

I use an S4 and really like it.
I am disappoint that Samsung made the battery permanent as well as the loss of mSD cards.

So.......
1) you can actually call people and talk to them on this, right?
2) it has a text function?
3) the battery actually WILL charge on that pad thing?
4) it still runs Android? right?

I watched the stream yesterday and none of the above was really addressed......but they certainly liked the shiny colors and the Gorilla glass.....they loved the words innovative, next and cool.

I use an S4 and really like it.
I am disappoint that Samsung made the battery permanent as well as the loss of mSD cards.

Lolwut..

The first two are implied of any phone and shouldn't have to be pointed out, otherwise it wouldn't be called a "phone." And if you watched them in the announcement yesterday, you should have caught that it does support wireless charging (on either Qi or PMA standard). And that it is indeed running Android, which should have been pretty obvious by the UI and the Play Store icon you see on the home screen in every demo on Youtube. ;)

Last edited:
You have to admit magoo's comment was rather hilarious. None of these talks even refer to the basic phone functionalities.

You have to admit magoo's comment was rather hilarious. None of these talks even refer to the basic phone functionalities.

Hah, well I'm not sure anyone does anymore. It's like asking if a new computer can use the internet or if a new car can transport you somewhere. :p

Hah, well I'm not sure anyone does anymore. It's like asking if a new computer can use the internet or if a new car can transport you somewhere. :p

So Ford I hear that your new Focus RS is going to be fast with some neat AWD technology ... but how come you didn't mention whether the doors open? I really need to know if I can drive forwards in this too, I am worried it only works in reverse!

But can the Galaxy s6 use the Internet or take you somewhere? Samsung neither confirmed nor denied that it was actually a car. To be honest I just want to know if it has a screen. Samsung mentions an "amoled display" but doesn't mention anything about if it has a screen. I made the mistake of buying a phone without a screen once and I'm not making that mistake again. Last year I bought samsungs "washing machine" model of phone. It didn't have the capability of making calls or texts, didn't have a screen, but did a hell of a job washing my clothes. Samsung needs to be more forward about the features on their phones because that washing machine was the WORST phone I ever used. I guess it's my own fault for not researching if the washing machine had android running it, if I could text on it, or if I could make calls. Samsung didn't specifically say that it was a phone so buyer beware with the s6. You could just get a washing machine.

:rolleyes:

Camera is pretty disappointing so far, huge let down to me. Was hoping they'd get the 20mp ISOcell obviously, but I thought whatever, if they get Note 4 camera it will be same or better. So far it looks worse. Aside from the white balance being warm as fuck ( which can be fixed) doesn't seem to focus was well as iPhones 6. Seen way more blur in S6 shots when compared to iPhone 6.

They also never mentioned if you could hold it in two hands versus just one. I bet they removed that capability too!

Camera is pretty disappointing so far, huge let down to me. Was hoping they'd get the 20mp ISOcell obviously, but I thought whatever, if they get Note 4 camera it will be same or better. So far it looks worse. Aside from the white balance being warm as fuck ( which can be fixed) doesn't seem to focus was well as iPhones 6. Seen way more blur in S6 shots when compared to iPhone 6.

MP count doesn't mean anything...

And judging by photos from GSMArena the camera shots look much better than the iPhone 6.

It's using the same Sony sensor as the Galaxy Note 4 so any difference in quality is probably due to software/calibration.

MP count doesn't mean anything...

And judging by photos from GSMArena the camera shots look much better than the iPhone 6.

It's using the same Sony sensor as the Galaxy Note 4 so any difference in quality is probably due to software/calibration.

Lol you're out of your mind. Every sample I've seen shows iphone with better clarity and white balance. Thinking that apatuer change was a bad idea.

Lol you're out of your mind. Every sample I've seen shows iphone with better clarity and white balance. Thinking that apatuer change was a bad idea.

iPhone 6 Plus is on the warmer (yellowish) side with loss of details (compare logo on guy's hat in the background).

iPhone 6 Plus
iphone-6-plus-snapshot-620x465.jpg

Note 4
samsung-galaxy-note-4-snapshot-2-e1414693377504-620x348.jpg

iPhone 6 Plus is on the warmer (yellowish) side with loss of details (compare logo on guy's hat in the background).

iPhone 6 Plus
iphone-6-plus-snapshot-620x465.jpg

Note 4
samsung-galaxy-note-4-snapshot-2-e1414693377504-620x348.jpg

I'd definitely go with whatever phone didn't take upside down pictures.

I'd be very surprised if that's normal and not from one of the attendees fumbling around with the white balance. I'd wait for a proper review where they have the common sense to reset to default settings.

I'd be very surprised if that's normal and not from one of the attendees fumbling around with the white balance. I'd wait for a proper review where they have the common sense to reset to default settings.

Exactly what I was thinking.... just looks like a WB issue to me.

And, something to not look forward to with carrier branding that will ruin the clean look. Hope it can easily and cleanly scrape off like on the Nexus 6.

marqbg-sixappeal-022415-lp3-d

I'll bet money the carrier tramp stamp is underneath the glass in the back. Only other option is to make it a sticker on top.

No SD, no battery replace able battery? i'm out.

Hopefully the new Note will give these options.

I'll bet money the carrier tramp stamp is underneath the glass in the back. Only other option is to make it a sticker on top.

I would put money on that as well. Verizon is serious when it comes to branding their shit. Lol

I remember when they put the Verizon logo on the Note 2's home button and people were trying to sand it off, hoping it would come right off. Nope.. they put the logo on the button by just not painting the part for the logo, so you had to take the whole finish off the button to take it off, making it look like ass not matching the rest of the phone. Even funnier was they there were venders making stickers for the home button just to hide the carrier branding.

So Ford I hear that your new Focus RS is going to be fast with some neat AWD technology ... but how come you didn't mention whether the doors open? I really need to know if I can drive forwards in this too, I am worried it only works in reverse!

Well you didnt detect my sarcasm?
Anyway....you can test drive a car.
How often if ever do these reveals even discuss the shitty voice transmission on most cell phones.
It really should be more about that.
I mean its a phone. Its main purpose is voice. Not camera. Not internet. Not text. But actually talking to someone. Or do peoole not do that anymore.

How often if ever do these reveals even discuss the shitty voice transmission on most cell phones.
I mean its a phone. Its main purpose is voice. Not camera. Not internet. Not text. But actually talking to someone. Or do peoole not do that anymore.

The primary purpose of "smartphones" isn't the phone anymore. There's a reason why talk minutes are gone and talk (at least inside a country's borders) is free on most carriers...because people don't talk as much as they want internet access on their mobile.

No, normally you use a ":p" or ":D", or even a ":rolleyes:" to emphasize sarcasm. ;) And it was hard to tell with the rest of your questions that didn't make sense even with obvious sarcasm.

It's hard for the OEM to control how good a phone sounds on different carriers, esp. since phone audio quality can vary greatly on if your carrier currently supports VoLTE (VOIP, HD Voice, whatever buzzword the carrier uses for this, etc.) or not. I don't know of any recent smart phones that sound bad enough to be noteworthy though. If you're concerned about it, then you'll have to wait for reviews to come out to test that part of the phone.

Otherwise it's not worth their time to talk about in the debuting presentation because despite it being a phone, 98% of their users are more concerned about other feature like the browsing time and camera, because that's what they use the most on it. I'm not sure if you've caught onto this; but the phone part of a "phone" has become a secondary feature to everything else. It's all about data now, which is why in the last few years you've seen carriers flip their plans from limited talk/mins and unlimited data, to unlimited talk/mins and limited data.

So to answer your question; no, people don't really talk anymore with these things, at least not nearly as much as they use them for other internet/data related functions. So I would argue that its main purpose is not a phone, but a PDA if you will, as antiquated as that term is now.

Edit: Skripka beat me to it, hah. But he just emphasizes my point too.

Last edited:
Here's a few interesting S6 related tidbits I came across this morning.

Benchmarks have shown the new internal flash tech in the S6 has very impressive read and write speeds. Faster than anything else out there. However there were concerns that lollipop system disk partitions would cripple performance like it did on the Nexus 6. Well it turns out we no longer have to be concerned as Google has relented on requiring OEMS to enable encryption.

http://phandroid.com/2015/03/02/android-device-encryption-requirement/

This is good news and one of the reasons I think the S6 will feel like a much faster phone than any previous Galaxy.

As far as some initial impressions on the S6, for those of you concerned about such things, it appears that the new S6 implementation of the finger print scanner works just as well if not better than the touch ID on Apple phones.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHki2dpniTY

As most of you know, the finger print scanner was terrible on the S5 and infinitely inferior to the Apple equivalent. Not so anymore. Now, personally, I could give a rip since I hate lockscreens and I don't use them however I know a lot of you do.

About that speaker. Samsung claimed the New S6 speaker was 1.5 times louder than the speaker on the S6. Preliminary tests seem to back that up.

http://phandroid.com/2015/03/03/galaxy-s6-vs-s5-speaker-comparison/

Just placing the speaker on the bottom as opposed to the back is a huge improvement in and of itself. As most of you will agree, I still think the M9 will reign supreme in the category of phone speaker sound, but it's nice to see Samsung move from mediocre to at least decent in this category.

Finally, is it just me or does it seem like the S6 was designed and implemented with one goal in mind.....competing directly with the iphone.

http://www.talkandroid.com/239589-j...-from-apple-snapdragon-810-wasnt-good-enough/

Recent comments by CEO Shin seem to echo this. Also the whole damn presentation on Sunday seemed to go out of it's way to not so subtlely attack the iphone. From the "our phone won't bend comments" to the photo samples comparing the S6 and Iphone6+, it's clear who Samsung thinks is their main rival. It's funny, I get the impression that Samsung doesn't really give a shit about HTC and other Android OEMS because I doubt they consider them on their level. Which might help explain why it was such an easy decision to ditch the SD card and removable battery. Apple doesn't use them, so why should they?

Its seems that although tech nerds like ourselves will bemoan the loss of the SD card and removable battery, as well as the seemingly smaller battery (jury still out on this one), the overwhelming response to the S6 has been positive. (And please, try to remember that people who actually take the time to post responses on phone forums do not represent your average consumer). Samsung stock responded well to the announcement. My guess? The S6 will sell far better than the S5. I doubt it will reach even close to S3 levels because that was an entirely different landscape, but I do think it will do well for them.

Back