Samsung Galaxy S6

I like the design of the GS6 as shown there (assuming there aren't separate "plain" and Edge versions), but I question how practical that will be. I've used the Note Edge, and trying to hold on to the curved display side of that thing on a shaky bus is... tricky. With two curved sides, you're going to have to hold the GS6 gently.

There ARE two versions. Sorry.

edge does look sexy...
but it's probably going to cost over $1000 for 128GB i want...

Unbox Therapy said that there's no microSD support...that's a deal breaker for me. :(

I hope that isn't the case. no microSD = no sale for me.32GB internal memory is nice for apps, but I would still be adding a 64GB microSD card for photos, music and videos.

edge does look sexy...
but it's probably going to cost over $1000 for 128GB i want...

According to the last rumor:

"The most complete pricing leak for the Galaxy S6 currently pegs the handset at the following price points.

· Samsung Galaxy S6 32 GB: €749 (around £560, $855, AU$1100)
· Samsung Galaxy S6 64 GB: €849 (around £635, $970, AU$1240)
· Samsung Galaxy S6 128 GB: €949 (around £710, $1085, AU$1390)"

And people bitched about the N6 being expensive...

"The most complete pricing leak for the Galaxy S6 currently pegs the handset at the following price points.

And what's the Edge gonna cost?? :eek:

Keep in mind that's European pricing, which includes tax and tends to be disproportionately higher. I don't think the GS6 will be cheap either way, but it probably won't be as expensive in the US.

Makes me want to get one, but then I wonder what the Note 5 is going to look like.

Super happy to see microSD slots being phased out in modern smart phones coming out these days. MicroSD lag is terrible, and pretty much unbearable after using phones with flash storage for any amount of time. Old technology should be put to rest, RIP.

The biggest problem I had with micoSD based storage was having to wait a few seconds when opening apps, especially the camera app. Wanting to take a picture RIGHT NOW and having to wait those 3-5 seconds for the camera app to load from the slowass microsd card is a nightmare I'm glad I won't have anymore with a flash storage based phone.

The price for flash storage should come down as it becomes ubiquitous. Tired of getting gouged out the anus for a 128GB capacity phone.

The price for flash storage should come down as it becomes ubiquitous. Tired of getting gouged out the anus for a 128GB capacity phone.

Have you noticed how device prices are going up?

Yea, storage might be going up but then again so is device cost. For all the griping about how expensive the Nexus6 is....I suspect this generation of devices is going to be as much or more expensive off contract.

This. If you don't like the Google services, why are you even interested in Android?

Umm because there is NOTHING else on the market to use?

Super happy to see microSD slots being phased out in modern smart phones coming out these days. MicroSD lag is terrible, and pretty much unbearable after using phones with flash storage for any amount of time. Old technology should be put to rest, RIP.

The biggest problem I had with micoSD based storage was having to wait a few seconds when opening apps, especially the camera app. Wanting to take a picture RIGHT NOW and having to wait those 3-5 seconds for the camera app to load from the slowass microsd card is a nightmare I'm glad I won't have anymore with a flash storage based phone.

No microSD will kill the line for me, also don't buy a terrible microSD card and you wont have a bad problem. There is NO down side to microSD, if you don't like don't install one plain and simple. For those of us like myself who do like I wont buy any phone without it. IMO and I know a bunch of people will complain, Samsung built a lot of its success off of removable batteries and microSD expansion. When all phone makers were doing this Samsung was nobody, as they all started copying apple Samsung rose, and funny enough as more device makers started moving back to more open phone Samsung has seen some decline. It all directly correlates with consumer choice on removable batteries and microSD expansion. Removing it could very well be a huge mistake for Samsung.

This doesn't make any sense. $850 for the base model? More than a note 4? And what makes even less sense is that the main complaint shareholders and the industry have had is that Samsung has not been able to keep up with leaner Chinese competitors that offer decent devices for cheaper. How does making the phone more expensive make any sense in that criticism? The S6 is just going to the same price as every other S phone. $600 or $200 on contract.

Last edited:
i don't know rudy...
people who cares about removable batteries and microsd slot is really part of a minority...

i don't know rudy...
people who cares about removable batteries and microsd slot is really part of a minority...

Yep clowns have been saying that over and over yet they have no other way to explain why Samsungs huge success both up and down has correlated very well with how many significant competitors have both of those features. HTCs decline from being the great android maker was oh so conveniently right when they tried to go sealed battery. But hey keep saying it people its all the minority those people don't really matter..... Except one problem those people who know about it are often the tech savvy members of a family that recommend phones to their other family members. No one can explain all sorts of anomalies like why is Samsung suffering when they are bringing out the most capable best display phones they have ever released? People like to blame it on touchwiz, lol touchwiz was slowing Samsung phones down the whole time why would people suddenly care?

Like I said I don't give a shit if people believe if because you won't change peoples minds on the issue. At the end of the day people like me will simply move the best phone available and if Samsung seals a phone up or removes the battery their is a high likely hood my recommendations will be switching to LG or some other competitor and when someone like me makes that move my recommendation carries weight that can sway up to 50 phone choices from friends and family, then those people tell others and it spreads. Its the same reason that windows cannot ignore gaming, PC gamers are a minority they say, ya but they command huge power within their social networks, screw them over a lose a loyal fan base and it will hurt you bad, it might not kill you but it will sure hurt.

Hot.... VERY hot.

Galaxy-S6-Edge-Press-Image-1.jpg

It would look a lot better if the bezels at the top and bottom weren't so thick. The bezel at the top especially.

Samsung is going to have a lot of stock to fire sale on after a few months if they really plan on putting a $100 premium on these over the normal S6. Not sure if I already said it in this thread, but I'll put money on Samsung not ever making this design again after this generation, esp. if they're going to charge $100 more for a near-useless gimmick. But then again, I wouldn't put it past people to really be wowed in the store by it and buy it only for the "cool" factor. I recall someone in this forum saying their coworker doing exactly that with the Note edge. I actually saw a Note edge in the wild a month or so ago too. I was really tempted to ask the guy if he still thought it was worth $400 on contract.

Umm because there is NOTHING else on the market to use?

No microSD will kill the line for me, also don't buy a terrible microSD card and you wont have a bad problem. There is NO down side to microSD, if you don't like don't install one plain and simple. For those of us like myself who do like I wont buy any phone without it. IMO and I know a bunch of people will complain, Samsung built a lot of its success off of removable batteries and microSD expansion. When all phone makers were doing this Samsung was nobody, as they all started copying apple Samsung rose, and funny enough as more device makers started moving back to more open phone Samsung has seen some decline. It all directly correlates with consumer choice on removable batteries and microSD expansion. Removing it could very well be a huge mistake for Samsung.

This doesn't make any sense. $850 for the base model? More than a note 4? And what makes even less sense is that the main complaint shareholders and the industry have had is that Samsung has not been able to keep up with leaner Chinese competitors that offer decent devices for cheaper. How does making the phone more expensive make any sense in that criticism? The S6 is just going to the same price as every other S phone. $600 or $200 on contract.

Actually shareholder's main complaint is razor thin margins and poor sales volume. Shareholders seldom complain about consumer pricing if ever, shareholder make money off of device price. Expect anything but prices to stay the same as they always have, they're going up just face it.

Some early reviews say Touchwiz is still there, and pretty much the same :( Just less bloatware, and the option to remove apps, but the RAM intensive and memory hogging Touchwiz is still the same :confused:

So Samsung finally makes a much better looking design, great hardware, but still sh!tty TW UI.

Some early reviews say Touchwiz is still there, and pretty much the same :( Just less bloatware, and the option to remove apps, but the RAM intensive and memory hogging Touchwiz is still the same :confused:

So Samsung finally makes a much better looking design, great hardware, but still sh!tty TW UI.

It is their signature just like their faceplate design....

Both the S6 and M9 are great pieces of hardware and nice designs. But man both UI's are just not as nice as stock Android. At least Sense is actually pretty good, and Tocuhwiz just blows, but still prefer the option to install stock Android.

The S6 running a Nexus stock Android OS would be amazing, and a must have to me. Same with the M9, would love to see another GPE version from HTC and Google on the M9, but I think that program has dies :(

I like that both the S6 and M9 are still in the smaller 5" size, that are easier for one handed use IMO. But I want the option for stock Lollipop version, with no manufactures UI.

Both the S6 and M9 are great pieces of hardware and nice designs. But man both UI's are just not as nice as stock Android. At least Sense is actually pretty good, and Tocuhwiz just blows, but still prefer the option to install stock Android.

The S6 running a Nexus stock Android OS would be amazing, and a must have to me. Same with the M9, would love to see another GPE version from HTC and Google on the M9, but I think that program has dies :(

I like that both the S6 and M9 are still in the smaller 5" size, that are easier for one handed use IMO. But I want the option for stock Lollipop version, with no manufactures UI.

GPE would be nice...but tends to be very carrier specific in the USA AFAIK and thanks to carrier-specific SKU idiocy probably won't be an option for most. And even when it is, it tends to be on locked bootloader carriers so you can't do anything about the kernel.

And thanks to Sammy's stance on keeping code locked down and not public...AOSP tends to run like shit on their devices unless it is GPE.

So where's all the people that said it was impossible to know how awesome the S6 would be and how mediocre the M9 would be until they were officially released? Let me guess, best display, cpu, gpu, camera, UFS Storage is all invalidated because you cant remove the battery.

So where's all the people that said it was impossible to know how awesome the S6 would be and how mediocre the M9 would be until they were officially released? Let me guess, best display, cpu, gpu, camera, UFS Storage is all invalidated because you cant remove the battery.

....Are you judging a book by its cover? Oh wait, yes you are.

WTF:

AndroidAuthority said:
As for the curved edges, unlike the Note Edge, the curves are more about aesthetics and less about special features. However, hat’s not to say they don’t add anything to the experience. The edges offer two basic features, with the first being the ability to assign different colors to up to 5 contacts, and you can know who is calling from the glowing edges, even when the phone is placed face down.

The edges can also now show you your notifications (calls, texts, and more) even with the case is closed.

So that little fucker is going to command $100+ price premium probably...and all it does is glorified ambient display functioning that you don't need a more fragile screen/device to do?

WTF:

So that little fucker is going to command $100+ price premium probably...and all it does is glorified ambient display functioning that you don't need a more fragile screen/device to do?

weird.. androidauthority said s6's edge screen offers similar functionality as note edge's (plus what you quoted) in the video

p.s DDR4 3gb ram and UFS 2.0 storage seems so good

Last edited:
Samsung should have done 16GB on the base phone and 64GB on the next step up. Every single person I know with a iPhone 6 or 6 Plus paid the extra $100 for 64GB. Great way to generate an extra $100 for damn near every phone sold.

I need it as well. Although I can get away with good cloud storage options.

wish it was like $50 per upgrade instead of outrageous $100 per then i would forget about microsd

Last edited:
So, unlike the Note 4, the Edge doesn't have extra pixels for the curved part?

touchwiz hasn't been reviewed yet... i reserve my final judgment. But current touchwiz previews has been disappointing. Still waiting on the Apple Watch...

It's on my Black Friday wishlist.

Keep hanging in there, my beloved S3.

hmmm does this mean it will be about $799 off contract + tax for edge 32gb?
$999 + tax for 128gb?

attachment.php

What I'm looking forward to: the really diehard Samsung fans, the ones who bend over backwards defending cheap plastic and insist that microSD and removable batteries are proof of Samsung's wisdom, having to grapple with their beloved master "betraying" them.

Of course, a lot of us here are realistic and will either roll with the changes or move on to a different vendor, but there is a certain crowd that will face an existential crisis: either they admit that they were irrationally loyal to Samsung all along, or contort themselves trying to tow the new company line.

What I'm looking forward to: the really diehard Samsung fans, the ones who bend over backwards defending cheap plastic and insist that microSD and removable batteries are proof of Samsung's wisdom, having to grapple with their beloved master "betraying" them.

Of course, a lot of us here are realistic and will either roll with the changes or move on to a different vendor, but there is a certain crowd that will face an existential crisis: either they admit that they were irrationally loyal to Samsung all along, or contort themselves trying to tow the new company line.
That sure as hell won't be me. I was a diehard Samsung user for the past several years because of microSD (and secondarily, removable battery). Now that the shallow form-over-function whiners have gotten their way at last, any "loyalty" has instantly evaporated -- and particularly with Exynos and Knox, Samsung has fallen to near the bottom of my list for my next phone.

Back