Samsung Galaxy S6

lol come on man, using the 808 is lazy as hell. We both know how big that sensor is and how thick that phone is. I wasn't knocking Toshiba sensors. I'm just saying the sensor Samsung is using is brand new tech from them, and it's built in-house with their in-house SoC. Hard to compete with that level of integration when they can integrate the software and all around design better than just piecing together sensors , ISPs, and custom algos. Of course Sony makes me look like I have no idea wtf I'm saying since their mobile division apparently cant be bothered to ask their camera division to write their software.

I would totally have an iPhone right now if it had a back button. Think I'm too entrenched in PC/Android ecosystem to get an iPhone, but I am a fan of their hardware. I do think the 6 is ugly as fuck though. Don't know how it got released with those antenna bands, when HTC gave them a perfectly good blueprint on how to do it.
The best dslr in the world does not have the degree of integration you suggest would make the S6 superior to other phones. It simply doesn't make any sense! I agree that the new Exynos is great and that I hope the sensor for the S6 would be just as good if not better than the one in the Note 4, but calm down, man! Just because it's almost completely made by Samsung doesn't automatically make it the best.

Last edited:
The best dslr in the world does not have the degree of integration you suggest would major the S6 superior to other phones. It simply doesn't make any sense! I agree that the new Exynos is great and that I hope the sensor for the S6 would be just as good of not better than the one in the Note 4, but claim down, man! Just because it's almost completely made by Samsung doesn't automatically make it the best.

Dude, you're being super lazy and trollish, reaching deep just for some come backs. Best DSLR in the world doesn't have to deal with tiny pixels or sensor sizes. We all know how important the latest tech/software is for these phones to put out good images. You're missing the point. I'm not saying its the best because it has the Samsung name on it. Samsung keeping all there stuff in house puts them closer to Apple level where they can really design everything to work well together. I don't even know how you can sit here with a straight face and argue that. If you want to make a counter point, make a relevant one instead of pulling all this off the wall shit. Next you're gonna tell me NASA developed the Hubble telescope in house but it has shit focus and capture times and use it as proof against what I said.

Dude, you're being super lazy and trollish, reaching deep just for some come backs. Best DSLR in the world doesn't have to deal with tiny pixels or sensor sizes. We all know how important the latest tech/software is for these phones to put out good images. You're missing the point. I'm not saying its the best because it has the Samsung name on it. Samsung keeping all there stuff in house puts them closer to Apple level where they can really design everything to work well together. I don't even know how you can sit here with a straight face and argue that. If you want to make a counter point, make a relevant one instead of pulling all this off the wall shit. Next you're gonna tell me NASA developed the Hubble telescope in house but it has shit focus and capture times and use it as proof against what I said.
Apple does not manufacturer much if any of the parts. iPhones have no where near the degree of hardware integration that you suggest. They get their screen from LG, SoC from Samsung/TSMC, camera sensor by Sony, memory from Samsung or ST or SanDisk or Toshiba or all of the above, and mainboard and other electronic components from Foxconn. So how the heck does your argument make sense? Apple heavily integrates their products well due to only making 2 smartphones a year, they are in charge of their own OS completely, and they just simply have better project managers and programmers there. It has nothing to do with having "the level of hardware integration" from one single manufacturer.

How is it that a Samsung's sensor is "brand new tech" escapes me, too. It seems like old tech just with more MPs... (The first isocell came out in 2013, and Samsung already used it in the S5 and the Note 4.) Let's assume it is "brand new tech." You know how many instances of first generation products suck? So the brand new tech argument doesn't make sense.

Your whole argument about why the S6 would be better "because Samsung sensors"... Like wow, seriously?

Last edited:
Apple does not manufacturer much if any of the parts. iPhones have no where near the degree of hardware integration that you suggest. They get their screen from LG, SoC from Samsung/TSMC, camera sensor by Sony, memory from Samsung or ST or SanDisk or Toshiba or all of the above, and mainboard and other electronic components from Foxconn. So how the heck does your argument make sense? Apple heavily integrates their products well due to only making 2 smartphones a year, they are in charge of their own OS completely, and they just simply have better project managers and programmers there. It has nothing to do with having "the level of hardware integration" from one single manufacturer.

I think you're underselling Apple's integration to a significant degree.

It doesn't manufacture the parts, but it frequently designs parts or commissions them. It's even known for developing its own manufacturing processes (see: the aluminum unibody for MacBooks in 2008) when necessary. The A8 is not a Samsung processor -- it's a custom Apple processor assembled by Samsung. The 5K iMac display? LG might build it, but Apple both commissioned it and developed in-house technology (such as a custom timing controller) to make it a reality. Even Intel ships processor variants either specifically for Apple or with Apple in mind; the entire Ultrabook category wouldn't exist if it weren't for Apple asking for a special low-power Core 2 Duo for the original MacBook Air.

This isn't to say that Apple has Samsung's kind of control, of course, but one of the greatest myths spread about Apple is the "they're the same parts that everyone else uses" line. The truth is that it sits in a rare middle ground where it doesn't own the factories, but its parts are often tailor-made. It decides what performance it prioritizes, what display resolutions it uses, how its cameras process images at the hardware level, and so on.

How is it that a Samsung's sensor is "brand new tech" escapes me, too. It seems like old tech just with more MPs... (The first isocell came out in 2013, and Samsung already used it in the S5 and the Note 4.) Let's assume it is "brand new tech." You know how many instances of first generation products suck? So the brand new tech argument doesn't make sense.

Your whole argument about why the S6 would be better "because Samsung sensors"... Like wow, seriously?

I see this confusion a lot on places like GSMArena. Design =/= manufacturing . Apple designs and engineers almost ever aspect of the phone and they only have one phone and can optimize the software like crazy to the hardware they're using at that current time. Sort of like how game consoles are able to squeeze a lot of performance out of mediocre specs. Just because Mercedes has some cars made in Mexico doesn't mean the car all of a sudden is a Mexican car, it's still a Mercedes. They designed and engineered the thing, some Mexican just put the pieces together. Same thing with Apple. Apple designs the SoC, TSMC puts it together. You seem to understand some of this, so I don't see how you think it doesn't apply to Samsung. In fact it gives them even more advantage, because not only are they designing their own stuff, they can control some of the manufacturing aspects to ensure quality.

As for the sensor being new

Dec 2 2013: http://english.etnews.com/news/article.html?id=20131202200004#ystfuv

"According to the industry on December 1, the Advanced Development Team of the Wireless Business Division of Samsung Electronics began to develop the 20-megapixel camera module targeted for release in the second half of next year."

By new tech I suppose I should have used a different word as freshly developed. Keeping everything in house they can maximize the sensor to pair with latest Exynos product and take advantage of Camera API 2.0. S6 will be the first device this newly created sensor will be in.

Apple's integration is purely why people buy Apple products, not just the iPhone.

Funny enough I think Microsoft has it beat with total integration now, they just do a terribleJob of making people aware of the capabilities.

I think you're underselling Apple's integration to a significant degree.
Sure, I might have been underselling it to prove a point, but it doesn't mean I don't know Apple designed the SoC and the mainboard that went with it, etc. It still doesn't mean Apple has Samsung's level of hardware integration from a single manufacturer.

This isn't to say that Apple has Samsung's kind of control
Thank you very much!!!

but one of the greatest myths spread about Apple is the "they're the same parts that everyone else uses" line.
Still not what I am saying... I still love and respect your posts though.

The issue at hand is the belief that, because Samsung is manufacturing most of what they will put in a phone, it means that it will be superior. Samsung is already making phones with Samsung SoC, memory, camera, and display (like the Galaxies they sell in Korea and the exynos galaxy of old they sold years ago everywhere); they are still NOT the best phones. Software is a huge importance on the device, and this is the area Samsung had been lacking (well, this and design). The point is just because Samsung is making the SoC, memory, camera, and display does not automatically make it the best.

Let's take a break to talk about the Toshiba sensor before I get on to answering TDSlam720.

In the year 2014, on September 15th, this old thing was announced:
http://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...martphones-and-mobile-handsets-275112781.html

TDSlam720 said:
I'm always shocked how many people online don't understand this.
Pretty sure this does not include me.

TDSlam720 said:
Apple designs and engineers almost (every) aspect of the phone and they only have one phone and can optimize the software like crazy to the hardware they're using at that current time.
And we know Samsung could also do this how? Does Samsung even have a history of writing good software and optimization? Once again, just because Samsung made its own SoC or camera does not automatically mean it's going to be the best.

All I'm saying is that "because of new Samsung sensor" argument does not make sense.

Trimlock said:
Funny enough I think Microsoft has it beat with total integration now, they just do a (terrible job) of making people aware of the capabilities.
Microsoft doesn't make or design SoC, ram, camera, etc, etc. So I don't think they would apply.

P.S. I've corrected some spelling and grammar mistakes from those I quoted. I may have made a few myself so please correct mine when quoting! Just paying it forward! Thank you!

Last edited:
I evidently updated my post right before you posted where I brought up the Lumia 808 PureView.

The 808 still arguably has the best smartphone camera. Guess who made its sensors? Toshiba. If your whole argument against Toshiba sensors is that it is old, then I can just completely ignore it. You got to come up with a better argument than that! (Talk about not caring about cameras... cause if you did care about it, you would know about the 808!)

As for display energy consumption, today OLED's are still not as efficient. Obviously, there are moments where the image is completely black, as in no color and no light whatsoever, where the OLED displays are more efficient. The problem is most images people see are not completely devoid of colors. I expect OLED will eventually catch up, or at least up to a point where people just don't care, or that the industry just stop development of more efficient backlighting technology for LCD's because OLED is "the future."

Anyway, I'm only playing the devil's advocate a little bit here. All I'm saying is that there are plenty of reasons not to get the S6; it's not just the SoC or camera! Honestly, unless TouchWiz sucks, I'm most likely getting a S6. But I'm also waiting till after the Apple Watch to see if I will be going to the Apple ecosystem (Apple Health Kit is something that would be great for monitoring my health).

OLEDs these days are actually much more power efficient than you give them credit for. They typically will win in power efficiency during video watching, and lose in web browsing. So all in all it is really about tied.

Still not what I am saying... I still love and respect your posts though.

The issue at hand is the belief that, because Samsung is manufacturing most of what they will put in a phone, it means that it will be superior. Samsung is already making phones with Samsung SoC, memory, camera, and display (like the Galaxies they sell in Korea and the exynos galaxy of old they sold years ago everywhere); they are still NOT the best phones. Software is a huge importance on the device, and this is the area Samsung had been lacking (well, this and design). The point is just because Samsung is making the SoC, memory, camera, and display does not automatically make it the best.

Thanks, and agreed on at least these points. Integration only matters so long as you're also good at enough of those components to add value to each other. It actually sounds like the new Exynos chip might hold up that end of the bargain better than in the past, but the jury's out on the camera and (most of all) software.

After owning an S5, I will never ever buy a samsung phone ever again. The whole plastic chrome ring on my phone disintegrated. It's like the phone had cancer and withered away. It was fucking alarming that a $700 phone would have this problem. Fuck you, Samsung. I own a iPhone 6 Plus now and loving every minute of it.

After owning an S5, I will never ever buy a samsung phone ever again. The whole plastic chrome ring on my phone disintegrated. It's like the phone had cancer and withered away. It was fucking alarming that a $700 phone would have this problem. Fuck you, Samsung. I own a iPhone 6 Plus now and loving every minute of it.

Said like a true Apple fanboy.

The Galaxy S6 will have metal though and will sell millions on the first day.

The expected sales of the Galaxy S6 exceeds both the S4 and the S5. Will probably reach near what the S3 sold.

The expected sales of the Galaxy S6 exceeds both the S4 and the S5. Will probably reach near what the S3 sold.

Expected sales from whom? Either provide links to estimates from historically accurate analysts or drop the claim.

Also, Samsung isn't going to sell "millions on the first day." The company has staggered releases that rarely see many countries launch at the same time, so it's statistically unlikely even if the GS6 is rabidly popular. That's especially true given that Apple not only sells more high-end phones than Samsung as of late (certainly in 2014, if not earlier), but has historically done a better job of coordinating launches. Samsung's high-end sales are slipping even with semi-metal phones like the Galaxy Note 4 and Alpha on the market; the GS6 will have to be a strong overall package to turn things around, not just a Galaxy S in a metal shell.

Don't bring emotion-driven hunches to a fact fight, because you're going to lose.

Last edited:
While I seriously doubt the plastic build of the phone is the reason for the slipping sales they could definitely stand to use a different material.

I really think the reason for the slipping sales has a lot to do with the look of the phone. If people don't see a difference in the look of the phone they won't think there are any other differences either. That and the One M8 was a very sleek looking device.

While I seriously doubt the plastic build of the phone is the reason for the slipping sales they could definitely stand to use a different material.

I really think the reason for the slipping sales has a lot to do with the look of the phone. If people don't see a difference in the look of the phone they won't think there are any other differences either. That and the One M8 was a very sleek looking device.

I think people dug a bit deeper than that.

On the high-end, Samsung's problem is just the shrug-worthy nature of the GS5. It's definitely better than the GS4, but it isn't what I'd call an inspiring update: its biggest improvements are a better camera, water resistance and a poorly implemented fingerprint reader. If you had any high-end Android phone from 2013 (and in some cases 2012), what was the big reason to upgrade?

I wouldn't give too much credit to HTC. The One M8 is very good and helped HTC return to profit, but the company's sales are still a fraction of Samsung's and didn't move the needle much. Most of Samsung's struggles at the high-end are with Apple (as seen with the huge shift in Q4 smartphone share) and Chinese OEMs that can deliver "good enough" performance for less money.

I think people dug a bit deeper than that.

On the high-end, Samsung's problem is just the shrug-worthy nature of the GS5. It's definitely better than the GS4, but it isn't what I'd call an inspiring update: its biggest improvements are a better camera, water resistance and a poorly implemented fingerprint reader. If you had any high-end Android phone from 2013 (and in some cases 2012), what was the big reason to upgrade?

That is literally the case for every phone released in 2014. They all use the same SoC, same resolution screen, same memory, similar on board NAND. Apart from that the only difference between the Android phones were the looks. While true Samsung was the king of Android sellers once again, the only thing that could have got in their way was the actual looks of the phone.

I mentioned the M8 because it was sleek, that drove people to the phone. The S5 was the same look and people mostly didn't care but you have to drive to get everyone to consider your product.

Realistically spec wise the S5 was a worthy upgrade over the S4 but most viewed it was good enough to not upgrade again.

Excuse me. I owned a Galaxy S II, Galaxy S4 and the shitty S5. There's a reason Samsung isn't the top dog anymore when it comes to smart phones. Their laggy ass TouchWiz software and the pathetic 16GB internal storage. When you force users to use a SD card to store apps and write pictures to, you're gonna get an ungodly amount of lag.

Samsung BETTER start using metal and up their build quality game if they want to stop their nosedive in the smart phone market.

Samsung fanboy, open your eyes. Show some respect noob.

Excuse me. I owned a Galaxy S II, Galaxy S4 and the shitty S5. There's a reason Samsung isn't the top dog anymore when it comes to smart phones. Their laggy ass TouchWiz software and the pathetic 16GB internal storage. When you force users to use a SD card to store apps and write pictures to, you're gonna get an ungodly amount of lag.

Samsung BETTER start using metal and up their build quality game if they want to stop their nosedive in the smart phone market.

Samsung fanboy, open your eyes. Show some respect noob.

I've had the S3, S4, and S5. I can agree with the lag issues. I recently installed Samsung's version of lollipop on my S5 .. Holy crap, it was unuseable. Luckily, it only took a few weeks for a stable 5.0 ROM that was debloated to come out. But the time in between was hairpulling.

I've had the S3, S4, and S5. I can agree with the lag issues. I recently installed Samsung's version of lollipop on my S5 .. Holy crap, it was unuseable. Luckily, it only took a few weeks for a stable 5.0 ROM that was debloated to come out. But the time in between was hairpulling.
The hope is that S6 will truly not have a TouchWiz that sucks. And the dream is for Samsung, at the very least, to also apply the new hopefully good TouchWiz update to the S5... But who am I kidding...

Well BGR certainly thinks that the Galaxy S6 will be even more lag-free than the Galaxy Note 4.

My younger brother has the Galaxy Note 4 and it's certainly very smooth, pretty much on par with the iPhone 6.

http://bgr.com/2015/02/12/galaxy-s6-bloatware/

I have the Galaxy S4 and I don't notice much lag at all. Am I missing something?

The S3 on the other hand lagged a lot. The S5 doesn't lag. This is my honest opinion though, yours may differ.

The main problem that Samsung has is bloatware and bad icon designs. I do notice the iPhone 6 is more responsive however this is most likely to do with animations hiding any lag.

Android and iOS are pretty much equal in terms of responsiveness. iOS just has animations that hide slow responsiveness more subtley and hence a lot of people think iOS is lag-free when it's not.

IMO Samsung will go all-out with marketing in the US, China and also in Europe this time around. Samsung has been awfully quiet with the Galaxy S4 and S5. The Galaxy S3 was advertised the most and had the most success.

People don't realize how technologically advanced Samsung really is.

Samsung is the biggest technology company in the world by revenues. They are the 2nd largest shipbuilder in the world after Hyundai Heavy Industries. Samsung built the Burj Khalifa, the tallest building in the world.

Some of you think Samsung is just churning out Apple's chips. That's a very simplistic and naive way of looking at things. Apple as a client is a tiny portion of Samsung's total revenues.

I'm not trying to talk up Samsung or bash Apple, I'm just merely pointing out that people need to give credit to Samsung's technological advancement and capacity rather than trying to say "Samsung sucks". I read a lot of comments here for the last few weeks without posting and as a westerner who visited Korea, I think it's rather ignorant if we say Samsung is "just another phone manufacturing company". Smartphones are definitely important to Samsung's profits, but if smartphone profits go down, it's not the end of Samsung. Not even close. This is not true for Nokia though. Nokia wasn't diversified enough, so when Nokia's sales went down with its profits, it was a huge setback for the company.

Samsung is a totally different company compared to Apple or what Nokia was back in the early/mid 2000s. Samsung is much much more diversified, so if smartphone sales drop, Samsung's semiconductor and heavy industries subsidiaries make up for lost profits. Apple is trying to develop its own safety net too by investing into electric cars and iWatches.

Last edited:

Why would you spend 700 dollars on a plastic phone to begin with. I always hated Samsung phones until rumors about the S6 started rolling out now I'm a massive Samsung fan boy. I always said I'm not spending 700 dollar on something that's plastic and looks terrible. Don't blame Samsung because you let them overcharge the fuck out of you.

The main problem that Samsung has is bloatware and bad icon designs. I do notice the iPhone 6 is more responsive however this is most likely to do with animations hiding any lag.

Android and iOS are pretty much equal in terms of responsiveness. iOS just has animations that hide slow responsiveness more subtley and hence a lot of people think iOS is lag-free when it's not.

That's not entirely true, and it's inherent to the way the two platforms work.

In iOS, graphics performance is top priority in the interface processing chain. As long as the hardware is capable of handling the graphics smoothly in the first place, iOS should never lag because of what's happening in the background. And those animations that partly hide things? You can turn them off... it's still pretty quick. Android certainly isn't bad, but rendering isn't given as much weight (even with Project Butter involved) -- and that creates more opportunities for lag.

I haven't noticed much lag on Samsung phones, but it's there. Say, when you're swiping home screens (particularly to My Magazine). Lag isn't strictly about dropped frames; it's about a disconnect between your finger swipes and what's happening on screen.

People don't realize how technologically advanced Samsung really is.

Samsung is the biggest technology company in the world by revenues. They are the 2nd largest shipbuilder in the world after Hyundai Heavy Industries. Samsung built the Burj Khalifa, the tallest building in the world.

Some of you think Samsung is just churning out Apple's chips. That's a very simplistic and naive way of looking at things. Apple as a client is a tiny portion of Samsung's total revenues.

I'm not trying to talk up Samsung or bash Apple, I'm just merely pointing out that people need to give credit to Samsung's technological advancement and capacity rather than trying to say "Samsung sucks". I read a lot of comments here for the last few weeks without posting and as a westerner who visited Korea, I think it's rather ignorant if we say Samsung is "just another phone manufacturing company". Smartphones are definitely important to Samsung's profits, but if smartphone profits go down, it's not the end of Samsung. Not even close. This is not true for Nokia though. Nokia wasn't diversified enough, so when Nokia's sales went down with its profits, it was a huge setback for the company.

Samsung is a totally different company compared to Apple or what Nokia was back in the early/mid 2000s. Samsung is much much more diversified, so if smartphone sales drop, Samsung's semiconductor and heavy industries subsidiaries make up for lost profits. Apple is trying to develop its own safety net too by investing into electric cars and iWatches.

It's a technically advanced company, but there's a sense that it has a one-track mind, that it feels your device is automatically better than the competition if you just shovel in more features. It often gives the hardware and software design of mobile devices about as much love as it would an air conditioner (that is, not much). I look at the Gear S as a quintessential example: it has a giant, clever display and 3G data... and it's an awkward-to-use eyesore that you wouldn't want to wear in social functions where appearance matters. A Moto 360 is like a Cartier watch in comparison.

The Galaxy Alpha, A series and Note 4 are signs that Samsung is turning things around, but I think we'll have to wait until the GS6 to see whether or not the company really gets it. The rumors suggest it's at least taking a step in that direction, but the GS6 Edge (if it exists) would be classic Samsung -- all about "because we can," not "because we should."

I went from OnePlus One to Nexus 6 to Note 4 to iPhone 6+.

Note 4 was easily the phone with the most apparent lag. Is it bad enough that I think it makes the phone bad, not at all but it is very evident when you compare it to the other 3 phones.

Note 4 is a great phone it just does not have a great battery like the Note 3 did most likely due to the higher resolution screen.

I'll use anything if it's better for me and how I use my phone. Currently it's the iPhone 6+ but I'll be taking a serious look at the S6 and M9.

It's called a business tax deduction. Maybe you'll understand in a few years when you move out of your mom's house.

Why would you spend 700 dollars on a plastic phone to begin with. I always hated Samsung phones until rumors about the S6 started rolling out now I'm a massive Samsung fan boy. I always said I'm not spending 700 dollar on something that's plastic and looks terrible. Don't blame Samsung because you let them overcharge the fuck out of you.

I have the Galaxy S4 and I don't notice much lag at all. Am I missing something?

The S3 on the other hand lagged a lot. The S5 doesn't lag. This is my honest opinion though, yours may differ.

Our experiences are biased on prior use. Your interpretation of lag differs than mine because of it. I always root and install a debloated / optimized ROM/kernel. This was my first usage of a stock Samsung ROM in years, so I'm a little more sensitive to small annoyances than people who have used their ROMs more readily. Kinda like how you get used to something so your conscious doesn't even notice it anymore. My guess.

For example, my S3 experience wasn't bad because I used an aftermarket ROM so it was lickity smooth once I went to that. Same with the S4.

TLDR; Stock Samsung is slow

Yeah I'm sure the IRS forced you to buy Samsung over HTC /s

Why do you give a shit what I buy anyway? Hey if you want to circle jerk go somewhere else, I'm done with you buddy.

For a $700 phone, The S5 shouldn't have fallen apart with normal use. I guess it's my bad buying on launch day, and expecting a great phone based on the Samsung name. I should put it on ebay and get raped again since the resale value on these phones are pretty horrible.

With that said, it'll be interesting to see what Samsung has learned from the S5 fiasco. It really was a huge fucking blunder if you consider the amount of unsold S5's piled up in warehouses. Hopefully this experience has humbled the company, and it comes out with a kickass S6. We'll see in March.

Hopefully the rumor of a 2600 mAH battery is not true. Lollipop/Project Volta on my Nexus 6 did nothing for my battery life and I struggled to get over 4 hours of screen on time.

http://www.sammobile.com/2015/02/16/samsung-galaxy-s6-to-feature-a-2600mah-battery/

The fascination with Thinner phones just baffles me as every surveys top response is to increase battery life.

Maybe Samsung has figured out some voodoo for the S6 battery but I'm not holding out hope and it will definitely not be a buy at release and I will wait to see user experience with the battery.

Yeah I don't understand either. I'd prefer a flush camera as well. I've never held my M7 and thought to myself "If only this fat piece of shit was 3mm it would be the best phone ever!". I don't even understand.. When I hold my phone there's still a huge gap between my palm and the phone. It could be 3mm thicker for all I care and I wouldn't notice

Yeah I don't understand either. I'd prefer a flush camera as well. I've never held my M7 and thought to myself "If only this fat piece of shit was 3mm it would be the best phone ever!". I don't even understand.. When I hold my phone there's still a huge gap between my palm and the phone. It could be 3mm thicker for all I care and I wouldn't notice

3mm is a huge difference when it comes to smartphones.

The fascination with Thinner phones just baffles me as every surveys top response is to increase battery life.

Sounds better for marketing purposes.

"As thin as your credit card!" will sell and sounds way better than "Get 1 week battery life!" and you can spin this several dozen ways.

Sounds better for marketing purposes.

"As thin as your credit card!" will sell and sounds way better than "Get 1 week battery life!" and you can spin this several dozen ways.

More people associate slimness with looks, which is the primary way to sell these devices. I know most people will say its "use" but even on this forum the first thing someone will comment about is the way it looks.

The good thing about Samsung is they still (hopefully with the S6) support removable backs, which gives you the option of third party supported batteries. When my current battery starts to show its age I'll go ZeroLemon.

More people associate slimness with looks, which is the primary way to sell these devices. I know most people will say its "use" but even on this forum the first thing someone will comment about is the way it looks.

The good thing about Samsung is they still (hopefully with the S6) support removable backs, which gives you the option of third party supported batteries. When my current battery starts to show its age I'll go ZeroLemon.

The S6 is rumored to have a fixed back, like the iPhone and HTC One series. No removable battery anymore.

And with the rumored small 2600mAh sized battery, plus a high res battery draining 2K display, I just don't see how the S6 will have great battery life, anywhere near the 6 Plus or OnePlus One. I bet the S6 will be on par with the standard small iPhone 6 for battery, meaning just ok, not great, not bad, but enough to get through 3/4 of a day, but nothing more.

The S6 is rumored to have a fixed back, like the iPhone and HTC One series. No removable battery anymore.

And with the rumored small 2600mAh sized battery, plus a high res battery draining 2K display, I just don't see how the S6 will have great battery life, anywhere near the 6 Plus or OnePlus One. I bet the S6 will be on par with the standard small iPhone 6 for battery, meaning just ok, not great, not bad, but enough to get through 3/4 of a day, but nothing more.

Pretty much what I'm thinking. But it seems really hard to believe that it won't have a removable back. This has been a big standout feature Samsung even highlights on their phones and you can see how dedicated they are to it by even making their waterproof/rugged (Active) phones keep the removable back as well.

If they take the replaceable battery and waterproofing away, they'll literally be taking one step forward (for superfluous aesthetics no less) and two steps back.

And if the battery really is that small, there's no way the SoC, even at 14nm, is going to make up for the smaller capacity with a QHD display and compete with the M9, G4, or even Z3/Z4 in terms of battery life. So I have to think that some of these rumors aren't accurate, because none of this adds up or makes sense at all.

Pretty much what I'm thinking. But it seems really hard to believe that it won't have a removable back. This has been a big standout feature Samsung even highlights on their phones and you can see how dedicated they are to it by even making their waterproof/rugged (Active) phones keep the removable back as well.

If they take the replaceable battery and waterproofing away, they'll literally be taking one step forward (for superfluous aesthetics no less) and two steps back.

And if the battery really is that small, there's no way the SoC, even at 14nm, is going to make up for the smaller capacity with a QHD display and compete with the M9, G4, or even Z3/Z4 in terms of battery life. So I have to think that some of these rumors aren't accurate, because none of this adds up or makes sense at all.
I read some rumors that Samsung will also have physical add-ons to the phone that makes the phone highly customizable. There are rumors like some add-on for fitness, blood glucose test, battery expansion, etc. I don't know if these rumors are true, but maybe Samsung will tell folk to buy a battery expansion for removable batteries...

They had this exact rumor for the S4, S5, note 3 and 4, still not buying this one.

This list below scares me, I'd like to go back to a S phone, but not sure;

- Battery life on par with the 6 Plus or OnePlus One ? ( The S6 will have the smallest sized battery of 2015 in an Android phone, but also have the highest resolution and DPI screen which means battery drainer ) I am not hopeful for good battery life on the S6, I bet it's average at best.

- Will Touchwiz not be such a hog ? I hope the rumors are true of a Nexus like smooth OS, but I'll believe it when I see it.

- Fixed battery scares me, it will have a sealed in back like the iPhone and HTC.

- I hope the fingerprint thumb button works like the iPhone 6 ? Just hold it on the button for a second and it works. Where as the Note 4 and S5 have this silly slide down the screen and then the button, which is so stupid.

- Rumors of no more waterproof like the S5 this time, which sucks.

- Root and unlocked bootloader ? Very doubtful :(

Latest rumor is that Samsung is debloating the S6. Removing most of their proprietary bullshit apps and replacing them with a simple suite of Microsoft apps, OneNote, Office, Skype. Could be interesting.

- Battery life on par with the 6 Plus or OnePlus One ? ( The S6 will have the smallest sized battery of 2015 in an Android phone, but also have the highest resolution and DPI screen which means battery drainer ) I am not hopeful for good battery life on the S6, I bet it's average at best.

- Will Touchwiz not be such a hog ? I hope the rumors are true of a Nexus like smooth OS, but I'll believe it when I see it.

- Fixed battery scares me, it will have a sealed in back like the iPhone and HTC.

- I hope the fingerprint thumb button works like the iPhone 6 ? Just hold it on the button for a second and it works. Where as the Note 4 and S5 have this silly slide down the screen and then the button, which is so stupid.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8314/galaxy-s5-ltea-battery-life-performance

Check that link, battery life wasn't worse after the QHD boost, and actually got better than the 1080 S5 in many cases. QHD wont be an issue with the beefier GPU. I expect Z3 like battery life.

I dont know if TW will be as smooth as Nexus, but should be as snappy as most other phones with the hardware backing it up.

Fixed battery and root is something that applies to maybe 5000-20000 nerds worldwide. The rest of Samsungs market could careless.

Why does it have to have battery life on par with OnePlus one? You're comparing it to the android phone which you readily trumpeted as THE best android phone in terms of battery life? So anything less is a failure? Pretty high standard there.

And why would a sealed battery scare you? Did the M8 scare you? If you want, I can copy and paste your many posts where you jizzed all over the M8s battery life. You seemed more than happy with that sealed battery.

Personally, as long as the battery is on par with the S5's battery life then I'll be happy. The S5 is able to get the vast majority of people through a day of usage. (hardcore users notwithstanding). I think they'll be able to get there between the more efficient cpu, optimized software and what will likely be a more efficient panel. Remember, Samsung improves their panels every year. The jump from the S4 to the S5 was huge in my eyes. I would be shocked if there wasn't at least a marginal improvement in the power efficiency.

As far as those still holding out hope for a removable battery, I'm fairly postive this will indeed be the first S phone without one. Take a look at all the leaked photos. Unless they're complete BS, the sim and SD slot is now located on the right side of the phone. In the past it's always been under the back cover. There's no reason for this change unless the back is now sealed.

Back