Samsung Galaxy S5 Watch Thread

qHD was used for the old 960x540 displays. WQHD is what its supposed to be called. This thing will be almost 600 DPI if that is true, its so dense you could probably strap it on your head and use it as a VR display. lol you could display 2 different images and do 3D side by side.
There is a difference between qHD and QHD. Just like a difference in Mb and MB. Is that you, Medion?

1400p on a small smartphone screen is a bit over the top ? I am totally fine with 1080p currently.

I mean, damn, 1400p is great on a 27" Desktop PC Monitor, why do we need resolution that on a tiny 5" screen. That means to keep up, then a 27" monitor should now go to like 7560p with a resolution of 13,824 X 7,560 :eek:

No. Since you almost certainly view the phone closer, each pixel is essentially larger.

you need to compare (pixel size)/(viewing distance), not just pixel size.

Here's to hoping that with 64bit addressing we get a more robust storage system and better external storage support.

There is a difference between qHD and QHD. Just like a difference in Mb and MB. Is that you, Medion?

lol are you kidding me only more reason these letter designations are stupid and shouldn't be used.

AT&T Samsung Galaxy S5 already in testing under the name SM-G900A
http://www.androidauthority.com/samsung-galaxy-s5-att-testing-325692/

There have been several benchmark sightings for Samsung devices with a resolution of 2560×1440, including the SM-G900F and SM-G900S. Both of these handsets are widely believed to be versions of the upcoming Galaxy S5. Lending further credence to the idea that Samsung may soon release a QHD handset, last night @evleaks took to Twitter to report that AT&T is currently testing a high-res Samsung handset by the name of SM-G900A.

Of course just because a carrier is already testing the handset doesn’t mean it is coming right away. Depending on the rumor, the Galaxy S5 is said to be arriving anywhere from as early as the first quarter of 2014 or as late as April.

Sealed battery? Fuck that. I'm one of the rare phone users that actually benefits from and has need for a massive 7000+ mAH extended battery.

If they make the battery non removeable there will be absolutely no reason to buy one over a One.

If they make the battery non removeable there will be absolutely no reason to buy one over a One.

I read that there will be more than one version. I'm assuming the metal version will have a sealed battery and the plastic versions will not. The only reason I and a lot of others buy Samsung phones is for the removable battery and the SD slot. I can't see them not giving an upgrade path to those users. Personally, I will not buy a phone without those features. It will be really smart for them to do it this way as the cheap plastic body is always the first gripe most people have.

I have a feeling these rumors of sealed body and a second version is Samsung selling/releasing the normal and active together.

The s4 had early rumors of a sealed battery and another version as well.

I read that there will be more than one version. I'm assuming the metal version will have a sealed battery and the plastic versions will not. The only reason I and a lot of others buy Samsung phones is for the removable battery and the SD slot. I can't see them not giving an upgrade path to those users. Personally, I will not buy a phone without those features. It will be really smart for them to do it this way as the cheap plastic body is always the first gripe most people have.

Most People Are Idiots though. Aluminum is not a premium material and it scratches easily, dents easily, and looks ugly easily. The only people that think metal cases matter are the ones that get spun up into the Apple hype.

But there is also a difference between good plastic and bad cheap feeling plastic. Nokia makes great examples of plastic shelled phones that doesn't feel cheap. Samsung has just been Fisher Price.

Most People Are Idiots though. Aluminum is not a premium material and it scratches easily, dents easily, and looks ugly easily. The only people that think metal cases matter are the ones that get spun up into the Apple hype.

I agree, complaining that a phone is plastic is quite strange. Its a very premium product even if it doesn't come with a premium feel.

I have 2 young kids, I'm glad my Note 3 is made out of plastic, I cringe to think of what it would look like if it was made out of metal.

I agree, complaining that a phone is plastic is quite strange. Its a very premium product even if it doesn't come with a premium feel.

I have 2 young kids, I'm glad my Note 3 is made out of plastic, I cringe to think of what it would look like if it was made out of metal.

Complaining that a phone is plastic by itself is bad. But complaining that a phone is made of cheap-feeling plastic is valid, and that's where the Galaxy S series falls down. Apple, HTC, Nokia and others have done plastic phones that still feel like premium devices; there's no real reason why the GS4 has to feel so plain. The Note 3 is a big step up in that regard, although Samsung needs to stop faking premium materials (see the Note 3's faux leather for an example).

Metal is a premium material; it's just not very rough-and-tumble. It would be very hard to argue that a GS4 is better-built than an HTC One, even if the GS4 isn't going to dent.

Aluminum is not a premium material. They make beer cans out of it. And not the good beer, I'm talking about Bud Light here.

That's like saying stainless steel on kitchen appliances is premium material.

That's just something that marketing people cooked up to make you think you're getting something high-end even though it's a substantially cheaper material to use in production.

The Galaxy S4 actually feels pretty solid to me. My Note 3 definitely feels cheaper, probably due to the size/weight ratio and the looser buttons.

Aluminum is not a premium material. They make beer cans out of it. And not the good beer, I'm talking about Bud Light here.

That's like saying stainless steel on kitchen appliances is premium material.

That's just something that marketing people cooked up to make you think you're getting something high-end even though it's a substantially cheaper material to use in production.
you do realize that there are different kinds of aluminum from foil to space grade... Yes, this material is used in equipment going into space... Heck, the HTC One S had space grade aluminum.

Just like there are different kinds of plastic. There are good hard plastic and cheap filmsy plastic. Guess what type Samsung is using?

- Galaxy S5 = Feb / March release - all new metal body, new design, and whole new architecture.

- iPhone 6 = Aug / Sept release - all new design, larger screen.
It's the same exact rumors every single year. Samsung is always rumored to up build quality with a metal body and Apple is rumored to produce a larger screen. Fith time's-a-charm

Thanks for the laughs. Next time I chug a beer I'm going to feel smug because it's housed in premium aluminum.

Thanks for the laughs. Next time I chug a beer I'm going to feel smug because it's housed in premium aluminum.
Comparing beer can aluminium to aluminium used on the HTC One S is like comparing fiber glass to carbon fiber.

If Samsung wants to keep using plastic, fine. Try some better plastic like polycarbonate instead of the cheap polystyrene it's currently using.

http://www.curbellplastics.com/tech...es-table.asp?cols=&compare=&direction=asc&h=3

Just for the LAWLS:
samsung-galaxy-s4-breakability.jpg

Comparing beer can aluminium to aluminium used on the HTC One S is like comparing fiber glass to carbon fiber.

If Samsung wants to keep using plastic, fine. Try some better plastic like polycarbonate instead of the cheap polystyrene it's currently using.

Just to clear up any confusion I might have... HTC......... that's the company where the CEO stepped down because their space-age aluminum smartphone sales are so awful, right? And the Galaxy series... isn't that the line of cheap plasticy phones that's currently leading the entire universe in sales?

Just want to make sure I have it right.

Just to clear up any confusion I might have... HTC......... that's the company where the CEO stepped down because their space-age aluminum smartphone sales are so awful, right? And the Galaxy series... isn't that the line of cheap plasticy phones that's currently leading the entire universe in sales?

Just want to make sure I have it right.

Just because Samsung phones sell more than HTC phones doesn't mean cheap plastic is better than an Aluminium case, there are nice plastics and not so nice plastics, the Samsung are on the latter end of that scale.

Pretty sure by that argument, McDonald's serves the best burgers in the world. Wasn't it the same argument from iPhone fanbois back in the day?

P. S. Last I checked, the CEO hasn't stepped down yet.

No, the point is that these posts telling Samsung what they need to do to sell their phones are kind of silly.

Pretty sure by that argument, McDonald's serves the best burgers in the world. Wasn't it the same argument from iPhone fanbois back in the day?

P. S. Last I checked, the CEO hasn't stepped down yet.

There's fanboy rage then there's reality. I put my naked original Galaxy S phone next my slightly newer heavy unibody HTC protected in a Seidio Surface case. Both have been babied and kept in the front right pocket but the heavier HTC that gives the impression that it would be weather better actually developed pits and the coating flaked off while the naked polycarbonate Samsung still looks almost new. Higher tech materials would be nice but it's not at the top of the list compared to display technology, SoC, precision pen, battery life, 802.11ac, stability, etc. plus encasing radio transmitters and receivers inside a metal Faraday cage is silly and moreso when you end up wrapping everything in a plastic case.

more clearance between the screen and the shell is smaller, and more the phone may break, the galaxy s5 will have a greater score than the ray"]acheter galaxy note 3[/COLOR][/url]

Bots seem to be getting worse these days.

No, the point is that these posts telling Samsung what they need to do to sell their phones are kind of silly.

The argument isn't necessarily that Samsung needs higher-quality designs to sell its phones. We're suggesting what Samsung would need to make better phones. As was touched on earlier, selling well doesn't mean that you're doing everything right -- it just means you're doing enough things well (including marketing) to attract customers.

Take the iPhone as another example. Lots of people clearly like the interface, design and performance, but there's still pressure to introduce a bigger screen and improve the software.

The argument isn't necessarily that Samsung needs higher-quality designs to sell its phones. We're suggesting what Samsung would need to make better phones. As was touched on earlier, selling well doesn't mean that you're doing everything right -- it just means you're doing enough things well (including marketing) to attract customers.

Take the iPhone as another example. Lots of people clearly like the interface, design and performance, but there's still pressure to introduce a bigger screen and improve the software.
Aurelius, is that logic? Thank you! :)

Their phones would be a lot better if they were gold-plated. I don't think that's necessarily going to result in better sales though.

So yeah, I get that you don't prefer what you call "cheap plastic", and that cheap aluminum is more your style. But that's just your own preference and not indicative of any sort of market reality.

In terms of durability it goes:

Plastic is better than aluminium which is better than glass.

And durability matters to me most.

I agree that Samsung should use a different type of plastic finish. However I don't mind their current plastic designs. If they used something similar to what the HTC One X used, that would be good.

I don't really care if Samsung is using aluminium or not in their next phones. If they decide to release two variants, one plastic and one aluminium, then I will probably get the plastic variant.

Durability is funny. In terms of durability, the Samsung flagships are in last place for the last two years. It may or may not be due to the cheap polystyrene Samsung uses. A polycarbonate shell could absorb more impact maybe?

Their phones would be a lot better if they were gold-plated. I don't think that's necessarily going to result in better sales though.

So yeah, I get that you don't prefer what you call "cheap plastic", and that cheap aluminum is more your style. But that's just your own preference and not indicative of any sort of market reality.

Drop the "cheap aluminum" rhetoric, please. It's possible to have high-end aluminum, and it's possible to have high-end plastic. The issue is that the GS4 doesn't belong in either camp, and there's no guarantee that the GS5 will go the same route.

Besides, given that the iPhone 5s is likely one of the most popular smartphones on the planet (if not the most popular; we need to see Q4 2013 stats), it's odd to argue that there's some kind of inherent preference for plastic.

Drop the "cheap aluminum" rhetoric, please. It's possible to have high-end aluminum, and it's possible to have high-end plastic. The issue is that the GS4 doesn't belong in either camp, and there's no guarantee that the GS5 will go the same route.

Besides, given that the iPhone 5s is likely one of the most popular smartphones on the planet (if not the most popular; we need to see Q4 2013 stats), it's odd to argue that there's some kind of inherent preference for plastic.

iPhone 5S is decidedly cheap aluminum. How much do you think it costs Apple to roll that stuff around their phones? Yeah the phone is expensive but it's one of the cheapest to produce in its market segment. Apple just tells you that you're getting a premium material and then pockets the profit.

There is nothing "premium" in any of these phone shells unless it's diamond-encrusted. So if you think that Samsung phones indicate lower status, the joke's on you.

Back