Samsung Galaxy S2 Skyrocket launching Nov 6th on AT&T

Did this just come out of nowhere? I haven't even heard of these phones before. I guess AT&T needs something to compete with the Nexus/RAZR/Rezound launch on Verizon. If that Skyrocket is Exynos-based, then it would almost pull me away from the Galaxy Nexus... almost. I love everything about it except for the resolution and the fact that you're prolly not going to be able to use that LTE for a while unless you live in one of the 8 places that will have it at launch.

I just bought a Galaxy S2. Im in my 30 day window, maybe Ill return it for this version.

Did this just come out of nowhere? I haven't even heard of these phones before. I guess AT&T needs something to compete with the Nexus/RAZR/Rezound launch on Verizon. If that Skyrocket is Exynos-based, then it would almost pull me away from the Galaxy Nexus... almost. I love everything about it except for the resolution and the fact that you're prolly not going to be able to use that LTE for a while unless you live in one of the 8 places that will have it at launch.

It's not a new phone, this is basically the SGS 2 LTE HD. The information on the SoC is still conflicting and confusing, but at the moment it's more likely to be a Snapdragon which means its on par with 1.2ghz Exynos.

Knowing that Nexus Prime is getting an LTE version as well, there is really no point in this phone unless it does in fact come with Exynos. Or for some reason the camera on the Prime turns out to be bad and you really really need microsd.

The prime probably wont be on AT&T for a while since it's verizon only for what I've heard. So this is good news for me. I have 4s, but I'd like to try this since this on par with prime specs except for the resolution. Btw, does anyone know if the new SGS2 will come with the new Ice cream OS?

Knowing that Nexus Prime is getting an LTE version as well
Right now there are three expected (I think I heard about a fourth, but I haven't been able to find that article again) versions on the Galaxy Nexus:
- CDMA2000(EV-DO)/LTE for Verizon in the US
- GSM/UMTS(HSPA+) for 'the world'
- UMTS/LTE for NTT Docomo in Japan

I have not seen mention of a GSM/UMTS(HSPA+)/LTE version, but that could easily be the fourth. NTT Docomo used PDC for 2G, not GSM. I don't know if they've shifted all voice to UMTS for high-end phones or not. Point is, all LTE is not the same.

Btw, does anyone know if the new SGS2 will come with the new Ice cream OS?
Nothing is expected to have ICS until weeks or months after the Galaxy Nexus hits stores, whether pre-loaded or updated.

Wonder what this will do to the price of the regular SGS2? Don't expect LTE in the Detroit area anytime soon so SGS2 at a lower price could be attractive.

Right now there are three expected (I think I heard about a fourth, but I haven't been able to find that article again) versions on the Galaxy Nexus:
- CDMA2000(EV-DO)/LTE for Verizon in the US
- GSM/UMTS(HSPA+) for 'the world'
- UMTS/LTE for NTT Docomo in Japan

I have not seen mention of a GSM/UMTS(HSPA+)/LTE version, but that could easily be the fourth. NTT Docomo used PDC for 2G, not GSM. I don't know if they've shifted all voice to UMTS for high-end phones or not. Point is, all LTE is not the same.

Nothing is expected to have ICS until weeks or months after the Galaxy Nexus hits stores, whether pre-loaded or updated.

You're right, ATT LTE is not the same as Verizon's. I just assumed that anyone who absolutely wants LTE is probably going to have better luck finding coverage under Verizon, cause ATT just started rolling theirs out.

Personally I think it's all stupid right now because of the obscene cost and low data caps. And past a certain point, lets say 6-8mbps, having more speed on your smartphone isn't really going to matter unless you're downloading large files while streaming.

Most of the advantage to pure speed is going to be when you tether it up with a laptop - which is where the bitcaps hurt. The latency is good too but not for the sort of price premium they're charging, especially if it comes at the expense of battery drain.

It's not a new phone, this is basically the SGS 2 LTE HD. The information on the SoC is still conflicting and confusing, but at the moment it's more likely to be a Snapdragon which means its on par with 1.2ghz Exynos.

Knowing that Nexus Prime is getting an LTE version as well, there is really no point in this phone unless it does in fact come with Exynos. Or for some reason the camera on the Prime turns out to be bad and you really really need microsd.

The SGS 2 LTE HD is a different phone, with an HD display (duh). There *is* an SGS 2 LTE, which this phone is.

You're right, ATT LTE is not the same as Verizon's. I just assumed that anyone who absolutely wants LTE is probably going to have better luck finding coverage under Verizon, cause ATT just started rolling theirs out.

Personally I think it's all stupid right now because of the obscene cost and low data caps. And past a certain point, lets say 6-8mbps, having more speed on your smartphone isn't really going to matter unless you're downloading large files while streaming.

Most of the advantage to pure speed is going to be when you tether it up with a laptop - which is where the bitcaps hurt. The latency is good too but not for the sort of price premium they're charging, especially if it comes at the expense of battery drain.

If I could get a solid 10Mbs down on ATT right now I would gladly buy. But ATT's slow LTE roll-out is pathetic. I'm grandfathered into their so-called-unlimited plan and I can't switch.

I just bought the Galaxy S2 but I may return it within the 30 day window for this phone. I'm not crazy about 4.5 though I prefer 4.3

The SGS 2 LTE HD is a different phone, with an HD display (duh). There *is* an SGS 2 LTE, which this phone is.

Dur. Just noticed that.

Nevermind then, this phone is pretty irrelevant unless you're in the market for an SGS 2.

So many Android phones it's confusing and ridiculous.

Completely agree. Not only is it confusing, I'd imagine it is upsetting to consumers who just wasted upgrade plans and sprung for the (lol) *vanilla* SGS2... Glad I've desensitized myself on buying first day/week/month release products.

Completely agree. Not only is it confusing, I'd imagine it is upsetting to consumers who just wasted upgrade plans and sprung for the (lol) *vanilla* SGS2... Glad I've desensitized myself on buying first day/week/month release products.

I just see it as a PC market kinda thing. New video cards come out all the time but it doesnt make me want to go out and buy them until something very significant comes out.

I'm happy enough with my $50 cheaper S2, still miles better than my old 3GS.

I just see it as a PC market kinda thing. New video cards come out all the time but it doesnt make me want to go out and buy them until something very significant comes out.

I think it's actually much worse than the PC market. New CPU platforms and graphics cards might come out 1-2 times a year, whereas a new flagship phone seems to be launching every other month.

Even computer components don't refresh within 30 days...

The thing that gets me is, if ATT had some prelude or announcements of the HD and LTE (or are the the same?) upon initial launch of the SGS2, I don't think there would be such negative feedback. But that these were not options or even considerations 30 days ago is what has people pretty upset. Sure the SGS2 might be perfect for your needs, but then again, you may have splurged an extra $50 (and 30 days wait time) to get the HD/LTE version instead.

I think it's actually much worse than the PC market. New CPU platforms and graphics cards might come out 1-2 times a year, whereas a new flagship phone seems to be launching every other month.

Exactly

everyone is grandfathered in the unlimited plan and the cpu on the lte sg2 is much slower than the cpu in the regular sg2

Even computer components don't refresh within 30 days...

The thing that gets me is, if ATT had some prelude or announcements of the HD and LTE (or are the the same?) upon initial launch of the SGS2, I don't think there would be such negative feedback. But that these were not options or even considerations 30 days ago is what has people pretty upset. Sure the SGS2 might be perfect for your needs, but then again, you may have splurged an extra $50 (and 30 days wait time) to get the HD/LTE version instead.

Exactly

It's no different than Verizon ending deals a few days before a new phone release. They have said several times that they planned on releasing at least one LTE phone by the end of the year. If you've been with AT&T for a decent length of time then you know it's going to be by November. People are just upset because no one leaked what phone was coming. If you spot trends instead of depend on rumors you knew to wait a few more weeks.

Checked out the Skyrocket today at ATT.

Very disappointing screen. Compared side-by-side to the Vivid, the Vivid looked as sharp as the iphone 4, while the Skyrocket was just unacceptable. Colors are beautiful, however text to text - there's no way I could live with the low ppi.

Still waiting for the perfect ATT phone.

Last edited:
They stopped blocking sideloading long ago. What else do you think they are doing?

how are people getting these lte phones for so cheap? I went to stores all around me and I am getting retail prices

Here in Canada, I got mine at Bestbuy. Rogers LTE has been very fast so far.

Went to a store here in Southern California and it was listed at $149.99. Almost bought it, but we don't have an LTE network established here yet so I think I'm just going to wait it out to see what else hits the market, or maybe take advantage of that Black Friday deal for a $0.98 OG SGS2.

Back