Samsung Galaxy S10

All this talk about slowdowns... this past week my podcast app suddenly takes about 30 seconds to load up. It's like my S9+ just got the memo that the S10 is available.

That's my fear of getting a S10, it has happened to every Samsung Galaxy phone I have owned. Eventually down the line, Lagwiz rears it's ugly head and comes back at some point. Yes brand new Galaxy phones of late, have been fantastic, and fast and smooth. But 1 year later, they just don't seem to hold up performance wise like a Nexus / Pixel, or OnePlus phone.

I have no idea why Samsung just can't seem to get their phones as smooth and fluid as a OnePlus or Pixel ? Especially as time goes by. I have two older OnePlus phones, and they are shockingly smooth still, and I have an old Nexus 6P, it too feels pretty snappy still, not nearly as smooth and fast as my Pixel 3 XL, no, but still not too bad. But old Galaxy phones, LOL forget about it.

That's my fear of getting a S10, it has happened to every Samsung Galaxy phone I have owned. Eventually down the line, Lagwiz rears it's ugly head and comes back at some point. Yes brand new Galaxy phones of late, have been fantastic, and fast and smooth. But 1 year later, they just don't seem to hold up performance wise like a Nexus / Pixel, or OnePlus phone.

I have no idea why Samsung just can't seem to get their phones as smooth and fluid as a OnePlus or Pixel ? Especially as time goes by. I have two older OnePlus phones, and they are shockingly smooth still, and I have an old Nexus 6P, it too feels pretty snappy still, not nearly as smooth and fast as my Pixel 3 XL, no, but still not too bad. But old Galaxy phones, LOL forget about it.

This is were I'm at too, my last Samsung was an S3, and after a year performance and battery were shot. Went to a Nexus, swore never to use Samsung again. I love the standard Android, my current Razer phone i bought for the near stock experience and better battery.

I am back considering the s10 i really like the look, and it appears touchwiz is gone, it looks like a more stock android GUI, so has my interest.

This is were I'm at too, my last Samsung was an S3, and after a year performance and battery were shot. Went to a Nexus, swore never to use Samsung again. I love the standard Android, my current Razer phone i bought for the near stock experience and better battery.

I am back considering the s10 i really like the look, and it appears touchwiz is gone, it looks like a more stock android GUI, so has my interest.

The Nokia 9 at the current discounted price of $599 looks pretty tempting...

You realize that "Touchwiz" is just a name right? Over the years Samsung realized that there was a seriously negative connotation with the term "Touchwiz" so they eventually dropped it. But Touchwiz was just Samsung's own software skin running on top of stock android. That has not changed. Samsung still runs it's own skin on top of Android. Now they just call it One UI.

That said, Samsung has been ostensibly listening to all the backlash over the years and have made strides to improve their software experience.

You realize that "Touchwiz" is just a name right? Over the years Samsung realized that there was a seriously negative connotation with the term "Touchwiz" so they eventually dropped it. But Touchwiz was just Samsung's own software skin running on top of stock android. That has not changed. Samsung still runs it's own skin on top of Android. Now they just call it One UI.

I am aware of this, however all the demos I've seen of the phone appear to be stock android, no doubt they have tweaked the stock with there own stuff, but what I have seen reviewers show off as new, is available on stock android already.

They're not really being paid if they have to return it, though -- it's a loaner. I wouldn't expect a car reviewer to buy or rent every vehicle they test, so why would we expect YouTubers to buy every phone they intend to post about? If anything, it's risky to encourage purchases unless a creator can genuinely afford to buy a wide variety of devices, since they'll have an incentive to justify spending their money.

Sure, not directly paid but still they were given the device for the sole purpose of reviewing. These reviewers have zero incentive to say anything negative about said device and will just dance around the matter and make subjective statements. Much like those car reviewers, absolutely useless. Its the same with audio gear, all these guys WANT to be supplied expensive stuff, they aren't going to be supplied expensive stuff if they say "it looks nice, but its too expensive and cheaper stuff is comparable."

The best thing about HardOCP is them talking down a product that was given to them, sites like the [H] are rare.

Sure, not directly paid but still they were given the device for the sole purpose of reviewing. These reviewers have zero incentive to say anything negative about said device and will just dance around the matter and make subjective statements. Much like those car reviewers, absolutely useless. Its the same with audio gear, all these guys WANT to be supplied expensive stuff, they aren't going to be supplied expensive stuff if they say "it looks nice, but its too expensive and cheaper stuff is comparable."

The best thing about HardOCP is them talking down a product that was given to them, sites like the [H] are rare.

They have plenty of incentive to say (realistic) negative things about a product -- if it's a review, it improves their credibility with their viewer base. I can certainly see a tug-of-war going on in some YouTubers' heads as they juggle the desire for legitimacy versus the desire to keep review units flowing. However, it's a two-week loan, not a gift -- it's really not worth turning off viewers just to do a glorified ad. I've seen plenty of reviews on and off of YouTube where people received loans and were still genuinely critical.

Believe it or not, most companies don't hinge review units on effusive praise. Even Apple is happy to provide devices to outlets that give it less-than-flattering reviews. Companies mainly avoid handing out loaners if a site is either consistently negative about their products (and they don't think their latest gear is going to change that opinion) or tend to be excessively, irrationally harsh. "The camera struggles in low light" might be fine, but "the camera is a steaming pile" might have the company wondering who rained on your parade.

They have plenty of incentive to say (realistic) negative things about a product -- if it's a review, it improves their credibility with their viewer base. I can certainly see a tug-of-war going on in some YouTubers' heads as they juggle the desire for legitimacy versus the desire to keep review units flowing. However, it's a two-week loan, not a gift -- it's really not worth turning off viewers just to do a glorified ad. I've seen plenty of reviews on and off of YouTube where people received loans and were still genuinely critical.

Believe it or not, most companies don't hinge review units on effusive praise. Even Apple is happy to provide devices to outlets that give it less-than-flattering reviews. Companies mainly avoid handing out loaners if a site is either consistently negative about their products (and they don't think their latest gear is going to change that opinion) or tend to be excessively, irrationally harsh. "The camera struggles in low light" might be fine, but "the camera is a steaming pile" might have the company wondering who rained on your parade.

I've only ever seen a reviewer give actual critical comments that purchased the item. The rest of them, at least the ones who want to be critical, tap dance around the topic and is very obvious about now wanting to be too blunt with their opinion.

I thought Apple stopped supplying phoens for review.

Mr Mobile gives a pretty honest review. He's not afraid to call a feature hokey or worthless.

I'd love to have the S10+ or Note 10 as a new toy, but the truth is that my 5" Pixel 2 is serving my needs fine and has been reliable so far. But I like new and shiny things ...

Honestly, I don't think this is anywhere near as bad a MKBHD going all in with his new Razer gear praising how great the Razer Phone was... And I thought I was a Razer fanboy! you know what? I would actually be proud of being called a Razer fanboy considering how much Razer gear I got; and I like that phone, don't get me wrong. But nobody likes that phone as much as MK... Battery life is amazing, my ass!

You don't have anybphone for a year so have at it. You know you want one. Get it and then move to the Pixel 4 in the fall.

You don't have anybphone for a year so have at it. You know you want one. Get it and then move to the Pixel 4 in the fall.
That’s the formula! I upgrade every November after all the major flagships have been released and reviewed. Year old flagships hold their value pretty well and sell quickly on Swappa. I don’t hang onto phones like Z. I like to get one, use the hell out of it, then sell it after I find a new one.

My candidates for 2019 are the OnePlus 7, Note 10 and Pixel 4XL. Last two years, I’ve ended up with the Pixel.

I don't care how good the phone is. Screw paying 1000$ for a flipping phone. And that's where one plus is heading slowly... Sigh

Totally agree, and why I have stopped my phone addiction. Also because phones have seemed to have plateaued, nothing crazy cool year to year anymore.

At the end of the day all phones make calls, send texts, receive email, surf the web, do navigation, take good pictures, etc...Who frigging cares oh my God the screen is .01% sharper now on this new phone, or wow the camera takes 10% better pics then last year's phones. First world problems. Most people couldn't tell the fucking difference.

I'm done upgrading every 6 months. And T-Mobile's JoD isn't the same it used to be, so that stopped me too, plus thier phone offerings are only Apple, Samsung, and LG, which I'm not fans of.

Even if I had extra cash to buy a new phone right now today, there's nothing I want. I'm rocking the Pixel 3 XL, and very contentT, looking forward to Android Q this month :). The Galaxy S10 does not interest me at all, and nor does the iPhone XS Max.

Last edited:
I don't care how good the phone is. Screw paying 1000$ for a flipping phone. And that's where one plus is heading slowly... Sigh

Swappa always has the latest 128GB phones sealed in the box for far less than $1,000. Store employee discount or BOGO and they sell them or something.

So while I always have multiple devices at a time the Galaxy s10e is the first phone in the last few years that I wanted to use as my primary instead of an iPhone. I got my iPhone X 256 late last February & less then a week later I got my Galaxy s9+. Since then I have also had the note 9, G7, v30, v40 & 6t, The size and screen quality kept my on the iPhone X. Well my s9+ had screen burn (too much time with Pokemon Go sitting on my desk at work) so I traded it in to Samsung for the 550 off the s10e. I didn't realize how small this phone was when I ordered it & kinda figured I would pre-order & then just sell it right away. But after a couple days I am totally digging the phone. Had to of course install nova & get rid of as much Bixby Garbage as I could, but the overall feel of the device is fantastic. The fingerprint scanner being on the power button is also fantastic. I have to shift my thumb up just a little bit from where it sits naturally when I hold the phone so its easy & nearly effortless to unlock.

We will see how long this lasts since the rest of my household is on iPhones (an Xr 128gb, 7 256gb, & se 64gb) so I am sure the lack of iMessage will eventually drive me back to the fruity side.

Swappa always has the latest 128GB phones sealed in the box for far less than $1,000. Store employee discount or BOGO and they sell them or something.

I got 2 S10 128s. AT&T employee discount ended up being $50 with trade in, and then one from Best buy for $390 after trading in my S9+. I'll most likely be selling at least one, which will be new in box. I'm going to use the pink unlocked one I picked up from Best Buy for a bit.

I have to say, I'm loving this color. It's definitely more coral than pink.

I took MKB off my list for his new found love for who ever is sponsoring him that week.

He has some good reviews, but I don't have enough time to watch/listen to another shill.

For tech in general, Linus has been getting really bad too. 1/2 of his videos are now just paid commercials with no real opinions on things, just a script. Michael Fisher has been my go to for a while even though his tastes in phones isn't close to mine.

I pew-purchased this the 10+ when announced from Samsung, because my local verizon store will not sell me one (long story). They suggested I just swap out sim cards and it should work. Sounds simple enough, has anyone done this before? I bought the verizon model from Samsung.com, with no sim. So I should be able to just take out my sim and put it in the new phone and call a number to activate? Do I need to do anything else?

If the phone is unlocked you shouldn't have to do anything else at all. I bought my old S7 from Samsung.com and just pulled the sim from my old phone and put it into my new phone and took off. There are settings and apps that you have to redownload or fix but not a big deal really.

I think the newer phones even have an app to move stuff from one phone to another too though I've never used it.

It's not unlocked, I picked Verizon from the carrier option on Samsung's order page. Upgrading from a S8+

It's not unlocked, I picked Verizon from the carrier option on Samsung's order page. Upgrading from a S8+

You should be able to just pop the sim in and go. Thats how it was with mine on tmobile

For tech in general, Linus has been getting really bad too. 1/2 of his videos are now just paid commercials with no real opinions on things, just a script. Michael Fisher has been my go to for a while even though his tastes in phones isn't close to mine.

I used to really like him because, despite his clear lack of knowledge, would do some pretty funny and interesting tech video's. But yea, hes become pretty shill'ish now as well.

I'll give Michael Fisher a shot, thanks for the tip.

I took MKB off my list for his new found love for who ever is sponsoring him that week.

He has some good reviews, but I don't have enough time to watch/listen to another shill.
I used to really like him because, despite his clear lack of knowledge, would do some pretty funny and interesting tech video's. But yea, hes become pretty shill'ish now as well.

I'll give Michael Fisher a shot, thanks for the tip.
If you want more honest types of reviews just avoid the "big" YouTubers all together. Can't count the number of times I've caught most of them say things across different videos where they contradict themselves.

Michael Fisher seems to be better than most other big names, but that's because he hasn't reached their ranks just yet and probably doesn't have enough public sway yet to get money shoved in front of his face by sponsors.

Sometimes Fisher comes across a little smug but his tech reviews / knowledge are always on point.

As soon as any tech channel says they are switching to <insert brand> and then a few weeks later they are carrying their old phone without any further mention - I know they have gone tech-whore and I just unsub.

I also still check out MKBHD now and again but it seems like all he talks about are Teslas and Red cameras every time I tune in. Neither of which interests me anymore.

Wish they would do a Galaxy "nexus" or pure google again. Samsung makes great hardware but if it was more "stock" I think it would be great. Oneplus was almost there but camera just can't compare to the pixel especially with nightsight... but the s10 is damn tempting by its looks that's for sure.

If you want more honest types of reviews just avoid the "big" YouTubers all together. Can't count the number of times I've caught most of them say things across different videos where they contradict themselves.

Michael Fisher seems to be better than most other big names, but that's because he hasn't reached their ranks just yet and probably doesn't have enough public sway yet to get money shoved in front of his face by sponsors.

That's a really good point, and I MAY have moved to this method without even knowing it. I no longer have any video tech reviewer subbed and prefer to go towards the ones that spend less on production value and just get straight to the point.

Has anyone tried the Galaxy S10e?

Kind of tired of iOS right now...

Honestly, I might like the 10e more than my S10. The S10 is great (once you remove Samsung's stock screen protector and use something else), but having a flat screen again would be wonderful. The E is just a bit TOO small for my taste. The S10 is a perfect size.

I might get one for my kid in a few years when its worth almost nothing. No way I'd get a "cheap" phone from Samsung, I doubt I'm the only one skeptical of this phone receiving even 1 note worthy update.

Do you guys tend to upgrade yearly? I too am getting bored of iOS and Samsung has great hardware but the updates suck but if we upgrade yearly, do updates really matter?

Do you guys tend to upgrade yearly? I too am getting bored of iOS and Samsung has great hardware but the updates suck but if we upgrade yearly, do updates really matter?

I used to upgrade frequently, less than 12 months as I would buy and sell phones on Swappa but recently any of the premium smartphones are overkill.

That being said I did sell my X and got a used XS Max as I wanted to go back to the bigger screen.

Last Android phone I had was the OnePlus 5 and Pixel 2 XL. OnePlus is nice and fast but camera is not up to iPhone / Pixel standard.

I am pretty much in the Pixel / iphone category now and don't really look at the others as there is some tradeoff and for how much I use my phone for work will pay a premium for the features I want.

I get a stipend from work so price is much less of a concern than it was in the past.

I used to upgrade frequently, less than 12 months as I would buy and sell phones on Swappa but recently any of the premium smartphones are overkill.

That being said I did sell my X and got a used XS Max as I wanted to go back to the bigger screen.

Last Android phone I had was the OnePlus 5 and Pixel 2 XL. OnePlus is nice and fast but camera is not up to iPhone / Pixel standard.

I am pretty much in the Pixel / iphone category now and don't really look at the others as there is some tradeoff and for how much I use my phone for work will pay a premium for the features I want.

I get a stipend from work so price is much less of a concern than it was in the past.

So you would pick the Pixel 3 over the S10 right now? I like the S10 is about every other way, except night sight on the Pixel 3 is something else. The idea of night photos when on vacation and out would be nice, but I don't know if I can justify going to it just for that.

You can literally install the Google Camera software on the S10 and get nightsight and everything else.

Back