Samsung Galaxy Note 9 Features Water Carbon Cooling System

AlphaAtlas

[H]ard|Gawd
Staff member
Samsung first introduced a water-based cooling system in the Galaxy S7, and just announced a much improved version that will ship in the Galaxy Note 9. The system features a porous, water filled cavity that carries heat away from the SOC using carbon fiber as a highly efficient TIM. In the Galaxy Note 9, Samsung added a copper layer between the 2 different TIM layers and dramatically increased the size of the heatspreader, allowing the device to dissipate far more power under sustained loads than previous generations.

Thanks to the improved Water Carbon Cooling system, the Galaxy Note9 can effectively manage heat generated from its powerful processor. With the wider thermal spreader and enhanced Carbon Fiber interface, the cooling system conducts and transmits heat efficiently to the surface of the device, allowing the Galaxy Note9 to operate at peak performance consistently. When compared to the Galaxy Note8, the upgraded cooling system's heat absorption is three times greater and the thermal conductivity is 3.5 times higher.

Curious, since their phones are waterproofed, has anyone tried giving their hot phone a brief dip in cool water to see how effective it is?

It is water that is the thermal conductor.
Water moves the heat from source to radiator.
The fact that it uses phase change to absorb far more heat per unit of water, and uses thermal siphoning to eliminate the need for a pump is merely advanced technology.

maybe they could convince Intel to use a similar type TIM for their heatspreaders instead of that goop they currently use on their "low cost" chips ^.^

I would imagine this means that Note 9 is going to be anything but bargain priced because of "premium" interface material

still neat however I will give them that for going out of the box....now if only smartphone/tablet etc makers can start incorporating asphalt/diamond dust and such into the lithium ion and polymer batteries to massively increase their endurance and capacity to get away from it seems the current average Mah of ~2800 or so.

nothing worse than "flagships" having the same size if not often times smaller battery then "budget" products.
example 4000Mah on a mid-high end phone is sensible but 5200+ would be prefered
and similar goes for laptops and the like where space is absolutely not at a "premium"

Samsung first introduced a water-based cooling system in the Galaxy S7, and just announced a much improved version that will ship in the Galaxy Note 9. The system features a porous, water filled cavity that carries heat away from the SOC using carbon fiber as a highly efficient TIM. In the Galaxy Note 9, Samsung added a copper layer between the 2 different TIM layers and dramatically increased the size of the heatspreader, allowing the device to dissipate far more power under sustained loads than previous generations.

Thanks to the improved Water Carbon Cooling system, the Galaxy Note9 can effectively manage heat generated from its powerful processor. With the wider thermal spreader and enhanced Carbon Fiber interface, the cooling system conducts and transmits heat efficiently to the surface of the device, allowing the Galaxy Note9 to operate at peak performance consistently. When compared to the Galaxy Note8, the upgraded cooling system's heat absorption is three times greater and the thermal conductivity is 3.5 times higher.

So it's one of these?

https://www.thermacore.com/products/copper-water.aspx

More like the flat vapor chambers you used to see in high end GPUs, maybe.

kepler-and-fermi-base-cooler.jpg

But even that's thicker than what Samsung can squeeze into a phone, so I'm not sure how comparable it is.

Actuallyhave you even added water to a lithium fire.... First battery to ezplode iz going to bee a Nightmare for the owner and samsung.

More like the flat vapor chambers you used to see in high end GPUs, maybe.

View attachment 99994

But even that's thicker than what Samsung can squeeze into a phone, so I'm not sure how comparable it is.

Same concept. But if it's mated to the case which is metal, your hand and environment become the heat exchange surface. They just increased the surface radiator area to achieve a better average temperature.

With the wider thermal spreader and enhanced Carbon Fiber interface, the cooling system conducts and transmits heat efficiently to the surface of the device, allowing the Galaxy Note9 to operate at peak performance consistently. When compared to the Galaxy Note8, the upgraded cooling system's heat absorption is three times greater and the thermal conductivity is 3.5 times higher.

And now also 3 times more likely to burn your hand while playing your games and watching your videos!!

I’m curious what other phones are starting to incorporate vapor chamber cooling. If I recall correctly one of the Nokia Windows Phones used this sort of cooling.

You’d think it’d be becoming more normal

Is it just me or are phones perhaps getting too powerful to he consodered phones...

Personally I would prefer it to NOT get SCORCHING hot.

Just saying. When using a vr headset requires a cooling plate it seems a bit ridiculous

Zack from JerryRigEverything did a teardown of the Note9 and didn't find any water or carbon in the heatsink assembly, iirc, so... :confused:

Back