Samsung Galaxy Note 8 Schematics Leak

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
The Galaxy S8 is not even out yet, but I guess it is already time to shift the hype from that to its bigger brother, the Note 8. All eyes will be on this one just to see if it will be another PR disaster, but genuine fans of the phablet phone may be pleased to know that the seventh iteration should house a Snapdragon 835/Exynos 9 chip and come with 6GB RAM. And as alluded by the schematic, the Note 8 will have a grand, nearly bezel-less display that should feature a 4K resolution—maybe as dense as 4428 x 2160 pixels.

…we can see an S-Pen silo, a USB-C port and regular 3.5mm audio jack at the bottom, a SIM/microSD slot at the top, and a Bixby button on the left, underneath the volume buttons. At the front, we can see the face-scanning and selfie cameras, too. This is pretty much the Galaxy S8 setup, or what we know about it from all the leaked renders and videos, so it would be pretty exciting to learn in what chassis size has Samsung might have managed to shoehorn the eventual 6.4" 4K Infinity Display of the Note 8.

No use for that much RAM, no use for that kind of battery sucking resolution display, but at least they're keeping the headphone jack.

No use for that much RAM, no use for that kind of battery sucking resolution display, but at least they're keeping the headphone jack.

That is what I don't understand. I have owned all the Notes and the increase in resolution keeps killing the battery life. I remember the Note 2 and even 3 going almost a whole day; now I have to turn off all kinds of stuff to get it to last a decent amount of time. That resolution on a display that size is completely useless unless it's in a VR HMD.

Samsung needs a massive win with the Note8 right outta the gate or it'll be the last one they end up making, that's my take on the situation. The gimmick of an actual 4K display won't work for 'em since Sony already beat 'em to the punch with the Z5 having the first UHD display so that won't work at all and yes it'll hurt battery life and Samsung should know that they have to do everything possible to get attention off the damned battery or people will just recall the Note7 at every opportunity.

New Update: Samsung includes a small business card note as a joke, showing they have some jokes up their sleeves about their previous phones.

Fire-Ex-5.jpg

Also, Household fires are reduced by 15% during the Note 8 Launch as "Note Fire Awareness" is a new viral hit.

So apparently losing what a billion dollars? Didn't teach them their lesson about heavily over taxed batteries in sealed designs. This should prove entertaining for some of us...probably less so for those with an exploding phone in their pocket.

4k? Jesus man, give us some damn battery life instead. This whole VR business is really cramping stuff up. Can barely get 5-6 hours of SOT on a 1440p display.

As with all the S7 series, you can set it up so that the resolution will vary depending on what you are doing... yeah, normal usage, the phone can be in 1080p mode or even 720p mode, which lessens the load on the GPU (more battery life) but during VR sessions you can bump the full resolution. I would agree with all of you on here that anything above 1080p and especially 1440P is not really necessary when using the screen as a conventional phone interface, but there is definitely a value add in having the extra resolution for VR purposes. The point is; if you want better battery life, then lower the res... the higher resolution isn't an issue, its an option, and one I've been waiting for for a LONG TIME for VR purposes!

And for the guy asking "who can read a 6" 4k display?" I know you are mostly saying that tongue in cheek, but have you heard of scaling and font smoothing? or are you still using a 1024x768 monitor? :p

i like the 5.7" Note 5. I don't want a bigger screen, maybe slightly smaller in fact.

I know the note 5 was called a "phablet". these new "phones" are actually tablets.

So... useless as a phone, but can be used for VR. mmkay.

Not useless, just "not as useful as it could be". Having 4k isn't going to hinder any aspect of operation except battery life.

So... useless as a phone, but can be used for VR. mmkay.
What he is referencing is the fact that VR follows the phone industry. Due to quantities of scale, it is impractical to build a VR specific screen, it would be too expensive, so VR screens are manufactured on the same processes as phones. If phones start having 4K screens, it means that the next gen VR screens will be 4k soon as well.

^ Bandalo cbutters

I use my Note 5 as a phablet... spend a large portion of the day reading on it. While the pluses are certainly pluses... unless these phone browsers are going to work some magic then the text will be too small. No??

Um... who can read a 6" 4k display??
No phone renders at the full resolution. Almost everything (to include most 1080p content) is upscale. This is how you take advantage of high DPI.

^ Bandalo cbutters

I use my Note 5 as a phablet... spend a large portion of the day reading on it. While the pluses are certainly pluses... unless these phone browsers are going to work some magic then the text will be too small. No??

No

I didn't go from a Note 2 to a Note 4 until the 5's were out...And now I'm thinking of switching to a 6s+, of all things. It seems like Samsung has nothing better to do now than overspec their phones for almost no reason other than trying to sway the smartphone e-peen crowd.

That is what I don't understand. I have owned all the Notes and the increase in resolution keeps killing the battery life. I remember the Note 2 and even 3 going almost a whole day; now I have to turn off all kinds of stuff to get it to last a decent amount of time. That resolution on a display that size is completely useless unless it's in a VR HMD.

This is what I call "specification war", where all top android phones are outdoing one another in specification, regardless of whether or not they are actually useful.

RAM and screen resolution, up to a certain point, becomes "useless specifications", but only the latter, AFAIK, actively goes against the function of the device, I am not sure if having too much RAM can kill battery.

It's actually getting hard to buy a 1080p flagship at this stage.

No phone renders at the full resolution. Almost everything (to include most 1080p content) is upscale. This is how you take advantage of high DPI.

No

"How about accessibility and ease of use? Even when we talk about 'large' screens on smartphones, we're really talking about screens that are often smaller than 6 inches, and packing huge numbers of pixels can make text smaller and harder to read."

http://www.techradar.com/news/phone...-resolution-doesn-t-matter-here-s-why-1288858

This is what I call "specification war", where all top android phones are outdoing one another in specification, regardless of...

Starting to look like a spec war, but I'm guilty of holding out for the 835 for the larger screen, faster speeds, and better battery life.

What the hell do you use your phone for? The note 7 for me was the best battery life of all the notes I've owned (2, 4, 5 and 7). After downgrading to an S7 the Note 8 is definitely on my list.

What the hell do you use your phone for? The note 7 for me was the best battery life of all the notes I've owned (2, 4, 5 and 7). After downgrading to an S7 the Note 8 is definitely on my list.

My point is that battery life for my uses during a normal day has decreased with every generation. I don't have to lay out what I use my phone for. That's what the reality is for me and that's that. Not saying I won't be keeping an eye on the Note 8, and as you might've noted I've gotten them all anyway because I love the S Pen and size.

So apparently losing what a billion dollars? Didn't teach them their lesson about heavily over taxed batteries in sealed designs. This should prove entertaining for some of us...probably less so for those with an exploding phone in their pocket.

I'll just go ahead and assume you didn't read the final review regarding the cause of the battery malfunction.

I'll just go ahead and assume you didn't read the final review regarding the cause of the battery malfunction.

I did and it doesn't change the fact that had the battery been removable that it was a simple battery recall costing Samsung pennies on the dollar instead of the entire device.

Back