Samsung Galaxy 8 Launches Today and the Tame Apple Press is Terrified

I have a Note 10.1 2014 and Touchwiz lags a lot :S

Nice, you get ads in your TV? :O
They're inserted into a menu block (occasionally). If you don't opt out of their ad network, I think they will insert into programs you're watching. Of course I opt out. Free services that get their money from ads, I get it. My non-free TV trying to double-dip? Um... No!

They're inserted into a menu block (occasionally). If you don't opt out of their ad network, I think they will insert into programs you're watching. Of course I opt out. Free services that get their money from ads, I get it. My non-free TV trying to double-dip? Um... No!

I have a 2016 samsung TV and never seen an ad. But I also don't have cable and strictly use it for gaming/chromecast.

I'd focus on how shitty their software is. Seriously. It's Samsung's 2nd biggest weakness behind the exploding batteries. I wish the mainstream press would go into that more instead of always using the same non-real-world benchmarks.

I disagree. Their #1 weakness is the shitty software!! I would rather have exploding phones than deal with the Samsung UI/crapware they install. I'm done with Samsung solely because of that. I love Qi charging and that was the only thing keeping me on Samsung, but now I've had enough.
If anyone from Samsung reads this. Go pure Android and I'll consider Galaxy 8, otherwise its a Pixel or Moto Pure for me.

Yes, I realize I can root and rom a phone but I'm tired of that.

I love my S7 edge, and touch wiz is ok, but the issues ive had have been updates. Stock android/touch wiz when i first got the phone was solid. Battery was amazing, would last all day. Then after the first update, battery drained in half the time and the phone lagged a lot. I often wondered if this was samsung frantically trying to circumvent runaway battery issues on s7's just in case, cause my phone totally sucked for a long time. Finally after the 7.0 nougat update my phone was actually performing like new again. Now i love my phone again.... till the next update :)

TechEye has an editorial documenting the Tame Apple Press at Reuters leaning towards the new Apple iPhone and admonishing the new Samsung S8. Reading the Reuters quotes is hilarious as they keep telling their readers to wait on buying the Samsung S8 for several months to make sure that the battery situation from the Samsung Note 7 has been remedied. Never mind that this is a completely new phone offering from Samsung and they have literally spent $135 million on improvements and studies to make sure that the issue doesn't occur again. The Reuters article pounds the battery safety issue over and over with quotes from consumers stating that what are they looking for most from Samsung is, "A non exploding phone."

The Tame Apple Press at Reuters is so pro Apple that they suggest that Samsung shouldn't delve into the new functionality and features of the new Samsung S8; rather they should concentrate on battery safety at their unveiling. Other quotes from the Reuters article include, "Downplaying the battery safety issue may also be a sensible marketing option as the new quality measures can't guarantee there will be no future problems. Any failure rate would likely be very low at first." Reuters admits that Samsung even pushed back the launch of their new product to ensure safety is their first priority, but that didn't satisfy the Tame Apple Press. They want more than the new X-RAY system that Samsung implemented to ensure battery safety as using X-RAY images to find potential faults isn't good enough for the Tame Apple Press at Reuters.

How much more wearing of their heart on their sleeves can the Tame Apple Press at Reuters do? TechEye suggests that Samsung should sue them for suggesting that the new phone will catch fire. To what extent are fanboys allowed to write articles on major websites that proclaim to cover the news. Adding humor by highlighting a previous shortcoming is one thing; Reuters was being malicious in my opinion. I think it should be taken down with an apology sent to Samsung. How do you feel about it? How much bias it too much? Don't forget to check out the Samsung S8 features article that was posted earlier. Lots of good stuff in it!

Downplaying the battery safety issue may also be a sensible marketing option as the new quality measures can't guarantee there will be no future problems. Any failure rate would likely be very low at first.

Samsung said last year it confirmed just 140 faulty batteries in more than 3 million Note 7s it sold - fewer than five in every 100,000. "How confident are they that they can actually find a faulty cell with these additional checks," said Venkat Viswanathan, assistant professor at Carnegie Mellon and a battery technology expert. "It's sort of finding a needle in a haystack."

Some analysts expect the S8, expected to go on sale next month, to outsell the Galaxy S7, which was Samsung's best seller in its first year from launch. Others, though, say consumers may prefer to wait a few months before buying, just to be sure the new phones are safe.

Wow, someone on the pay-roll.

But seriously, I could not say to someone, ok wait 6 months for Apples next move before buying this... That's just stupid.

This looks like a nice phone, I personally would not touch Android with a 10 foot pole, but I can see that this is a great phone.

I look forward to whatever Apple is doing later this year, as they have much work to do, and better do some serious design work this year.

I still have mixed feelings about Apple phones. The level of polish to the UI leaves Samsung (and most other Android phones) in the dust IMO. The hardware is rarely great, but it's typically not totally awful either. Whatever software they're using for their camera tends to take better shots than it should. I love that images of all sorts are instant on an iPhone. There's no waiting around for thumbnails to load, ever.
Yet you're very much stuck doing things their way or you're going to hate life. I consider iTunes and "syncing" everything to be worse than Samsung's built-in trash apps/store and TouchWiz.

If anyone is serious about taking some market share away from Samsung and Apple, they're going to have to get cozy with retailers and carriers. Until that happens, we're going to keep seeing people grabbing S#'s and iPhones because they're front and center everywhere you look.

I still have mixed feelings about Apple phones. The level of polish to the UI leaves Samsung (and most other Android phones) in the dust IMO. The hardware is rarely great, but it's typically not totally awful either. Whatever software they're using for their camera tends to take better shots than it should. I love that images of all sorts are instant on an iPhone. There's no waiting around for thumbnails to load, ever.
Yet you're very much stuck doing things their way or you're going to hate life. I consider iTunes and "syncing" everything to be worse than Samsung's built-in trash apps/store and TouchWiz.

If anyone is serious about taking some market share away from Samsung and Apple, they're going to have to get cozy with retailers and carriers. Until that happens, we're going to keep seeing people grabbing S#'s and iPhones because they're front and center everywhere you look.

Apple hardware is rarely great... Totally disagree. When the iPhone is released, it is the fastest, most stable hardware out there. Sometimes Apple don't jump on the latest camera sensors, but I can't see where others are higher quality or better? Usually when an iPhone gets to a year old, Samsung has only just almost caught up just in CPU/GPU, and with a higher MP camera. Most people, like you, tend to compare a brand new Android flagship phone with an iPhone that been out more than 7 or 8 months, and say how average the hardware in the iPhone is, and that's hardly fair. It's fair to say that the phone industry is out of sync with itself.

Apple make their own software for the camera, and that's why it takes a good picture compared to the same sensor used on a different phone.

I never use iTunes, that's not been a thing for 3 or more years now. You only use that if you want to, most people would use the phone itself.

And getting cosy with retailers and carriers is why your Android phone won't be seeing many updates to its OS after a year.

I'd focus on how shitty their software is. Seriously. It's Samsung's 2nd biggest weakness behind the exploding batteries. I wish the mainstream press would go into that more instead of always using the same non-real-world benchmarks.

That's a preference not objective data, which is what any worthy press outlet will not preach about software.

I happen to like 95% of the Samsung overlay ui and features it provides. And I am not alone.

Other than not using the bloatware apps, and not using the stock launcher, TouchWiz has been rock solid.

TechEye has an editorial documenting the Tame Apple Press at Reuters leaning towards the new Apple iPhone and admonishing the new Samsung S8. Reading the Reuters quotes is hilarious as they keep telling their readers to wait on buying the Samsung S8 for several months to make sure that the battery situation from the Samsung Note 7 has been remedied. Never mind that this is a completely new phone offering from Samsung and they have literally spent $135 million on improvements and studies to make sure that the issue doesn't occur again. The Reuters article pounds the battery safety issue over and over with quotes from consumers stating that what are they looking for most from Samsung is, "A non exploding phone."

The Tame Apple Press at Reuters is so pro Apple that they suggest that Samsung shouldn't delve into the new functionality and features of the new Samsung S8; rather they should concentrate on battery safety at their unveiling. Other quotes from the Reuters article include, "Downplaying the battery safety issue may also be a sensible marketing option as the new quality measures can't guarantee there will be no future problems. Any failure rate would likely be very low at first." Reuters admits that Samsung even pushed back the launch of their new product to ensure safety is their first priority, but that didn't satisfy the Tame Apple Press. They want more than the new X-RAY system that Samsung implemented to ensure battery safety as using X-RAY images to find potential faults isn't good enough for the Tame Apple Press at Reuters.

How much more wearing of their heart on their sleeves can the Tame Apple Press at Reuters do? TechEye suggests that Samsung should sue them for suggesting that the new phone will catch fire. To what extent are fanboys allowed to write articles on major websites that proclaim to cover the news. Adding humor by highlighting a previous shortcoming is one thing; Reuters was being malicious in my opinion. I think it should be taken down with an apology sent to Samsung. How do you feel about it? How much bias it too much? Don't forget to check out the Samsung S8 features article that was posted earlier. Lots of good stuff in it!

Downplaying the battery safety issue may also be a sensible marketing option as the new quality measures can't guarantee there will be no future problems. Any failure rate would likely be very low at first.

Samsung said last year it confirmed just 140 faulty batteries in more than 3 million Note 7s it sold - fewer than five in every 100,000. "How confident are they that they can actually find a faulty cell with these additional checks," said Venkat Viswanathan, assistant professor at Carnegie Mellon and a battery technology expert. "It's sort of finding a needle in a haystack."

Some analysts expect the S8, expected to go on sale next month, to outsell the Galaxy S7, which was Samsung's best seller in its first year from launch. Others, though, say consumers may prefer to wait a few months before buying, just to be sure the new phones are safe.

I will say that I have developed products that use Samsung batteries for many years. We have had exactly the same problem the S7 had quite a few times. It had gotten so bad that at one point, the were banned from any testing at all in our labs. These Samsung battery issues have been persistent and around for a very long time. Having dealt with Samsung parts extensively, I don't trust them at all.

The one possible silver lining for Samsung customers is that they tend to save the good stuff for themselves, then send their ticking time bomb parts to their competitors to use.

I never use iTunes, that's not been a thing for 3 or more years now. You only use that if you want to, most people would use the phone itself.

And getting cosy with retailers and carriers is why your Android phone won't be seeing many updates to its OS after a year.

How do you avoid using iTunes? If I wanted to copy music, photos, or pictures to/from my PC's and phone that was the only way for years and years. How does it work without iTunes syncing and their "library" function? Can you finally drag/drop?

The retailer relationship and updates doesn't have to be that way. There's always a situation like with Verizon and the Pixel or (formerly) Apple and AT&T. Right now if you head into a carrier store or a Best Buy, they all but push either an iPhone or Samsung device on you. If you're lucky they might mention LG or occasionally HTC. If you want a Moto, a OnePlus, a Huawei, ZTE, etc. or even a Sony, that's something you have to discover on your own. In some cases, you even have to order straight from the manufacturer. That's not the way you make headway against the industry giants.

This is a really strangely posted written front page article, just sayin. . .
This site has traditionally been anti Apple. It was annoying two years ago when Steve would post 5 articles a day about Apple because he knew it would stir up a thread with lots and lots of replies from the Apple bashers on this site. Apple articles used to get the most replies but I think that even most the the hardcore "I hate Apple because they are popular and I've never used one of their products" crowd have by now been exposed to an iPhone and to their surprise, they realized it was not terrible.

Apple fanboys are annoying but the Apple haters are even worse.

I say this about politics are worse. Bleeding heart liberals are bad but fanatical conservatives are way louder and more annoying (not to mention, a lot more numerous).

I bought an iPhone 5 4.5 years ago and still use it today. Gets updates and all. I'd recommend an iPhone for anyone planning to keep using the same phone for that long since no Android phone gets updates 3+ years after it gets released.

Last edited:
It was annoying two years ago when Steve would post 5 articles a day about Apple because he knew it would stir up a thread with lots and lots of replies from the Apple bashers on this site. Apple articles used to get the most replies but I think that even most the the hardcore "I hate Apple because they are popular and I've never used one of their products" crowd have by now been exposed to an iPhone and to their surprise, they realized it was not terrible.
Hardly.

Its mainly because, frankly, Jobs is gone.

It was a cultural issue, and Apple was so far up its own ass blissfully ruminating on the complex bouquet of their own farts, while simultaneously boasting that they have invented everything they copied from others, that it demanded a response from those that didn't subscribe to the Apple religion. With Jobs' death, the cult has calmed down, and so has everyone else accordingly.

Apple products are still mediocre walled gardens at exorbitant prices, but that's not enough to justify much of a response from the community without a pompous billionaire with belt-less jeans on stage pretending that he's Moses. To really stir the pot, they need to find another really pompous caricature to take his place.

How do you avoid using iTunes? If I wanted to copy music, photos, or pictures to/from my PC's and phone that was the only way for years and years. How does it work without iTunes syncing and their "library" function? Can you finally drag/drop?

The retailer relationship and updates doesn't have to be that way. There's always a situation like with Verizon and the Pixel or (formerly) Apple and AT&T. Right now if you head into a carrier store or a Best Buy, they all but push either an iPhone or Samsung device on you. If you're lucky they might mention LG or occasionally HTC. If you want a Moto, a OnePlus, a Huawei, ZTE, etc. or even a Sony, that's something you have to discover on your own. In some cases, you even have to order straight from the manufacturer. That's not the way you make headway against the industry giants.

It depends on your approach. I use Dropbox for most things, but if you wanted to keep it official, as far as music libraries go, then you still have to use iTunes, unless you have iTunes Match. Agreed that it's so old now that Apple still don't let you drag and drop.

As far as the relationship between carrier and manufacturers, I think as soon as they get cosy, that's the point when carriers want to add things, take away features and functions, and customise the OS. That's why Apple got so much shit, and not much carrier attention when they launched the first couple of iPhones, because the carriers had previously demanded a close relationship between handset manufacturer and themselves, and Apple said that's fine, but your not adding to, taking away from, or customising our OS, the carriers threw their toys out of the Pram, that was until customer demand forced them to have the iPhone.

Google took a carrier friendly approach, and that turned in to Androids biggest failure. What I don't understand is why Google simply make the carrier stuff modular, create a framework and API for it, so that the OS could be upgraded, but the carrier settings and customisation left intact. I guess they simply don't have the balls to make the same stand that Apple made years ago.

Last edited:
After I had to return my Note 7, I'll stick to buying Apple and Google phones.
They both have steady OS support so buying discounted or refurb versions a year after release is more cost effective.

Reason you should wait, it will be overpriced as hell. Wait till the 9 comes out, or the 10, or 11. That and the fact we haven't had any real major cellphone advancements since the first iphone wave. They're just becoming overpriced under-engineered planned obsolescence money soaks. I'm still waiting for something that's built as well as my Moto E 2nd gen, so far it hasn't happened. I want a mobile device that doesn't need a case and screen protectors to operate in a mobile environment without breaking and needing to plugged in with less than 8hrs of screen time I want to check out some nokia's but no word on what cell bands they'll be using that I've seen. I also don't need 4k, or even 1080p on a 4.5-6in screen ffs. Give me a solid build, fat battery and decent camera.

Currently, there's much competition when it comes to S7 Edge and iPhone 7. In terms of built, looks like iPhone 7 is more durable because it's made from Aluminum. My brother dropped his S7 Edge and it broke easily. The cost of replacing the glass is mind-blowing. In terms of system memory, S7 Edge has 4 GB while iPhone 7 only have 3 GB. But in terms of built-in storage, iPhome 7 has it all.
It's really confusing which is better. What do you think guys?

So what will be the durability when apple finally catches up and makes their phones wireless charge capable? The phone will be made of glass then.

So what will be the durability when apple finally catches up and makes their phones wireless charge capable? The phone will be made of glass then.

Very true. Unless a phone is made of plastic or rubber, it will shatter, bend, dent, and scratch. This is the way it will be until new materials can be made.

Honestly?

The only real issue I've had with my S7 since Samsung sent it to me last June popped up after DST this past month. It keeps losing an hour when I'm at home for some reason. So I set it to not update on the network for now.

Other than that, the S7 has been THE most trouble-free phone I've had.

Moving from my S6 was flawless.

I've had something like 4 system updates, and (other than losing a bit of important visual contrast), the functionality has just gotten better.

Then again, it probably helps that I don't use the phone for much more than a mobile internet connection.

So much salt Tame Apple Press isn't a thing Nick Farrell stop trying to make it a thing.

You can uninstall and/or disable any app on the S7 Edge. Whether it be from Samsung/Verizon what have you. I love mine and I've already preordered the S8+.

You mean like when Apple updates a year or two old phone and it starts running so slow you "need" to replace it?

Samsung's hardware is great - can't argue that*. For me, when this S4 dies, I'm done with Samsung.
Here's why...

Phone:
Awful UI
Ridiculous amount of uninstallable apps taking up space (don't get me started on carrier apps)
Samsung ecosystem - no thanks
Battery issues - but betting they learned their lesson there

*SSD:
1TB Evo died after a month. I get a freaking refurb! Literally 1 day out of vendor replacement.

TV:
Picture is beautiful yes but...
The plastic shell is warped
I get served ads when connected to the internet (at least without a pi-hole)
All sorts of spying options for Samsung and CIA

Are there any companies out there with balls to give the government and advertisers the finger? And listen to their PAYING customers?
Didn't think so - instead the corps give the big Finger to its customers.

It's just downright depressing. Make me CEO for a day -- I'll fix some fix some shit good!

I must admit, my experience is limited as I have only owned a few phones.

But I liked my Note2, when I replaced it with a Droid Turbo I mostly fucked up. The Droid UI was painful for me to adjust to and the camera was crap. I've had the droid for just over 2 years and it's dropping calls and breaking up all the time and I need to replace it. My wife has loved her Note3 but it's getting long in the tooth as well.

So I read people that complain about the Samsung UI and claim it's awful but unless they have made a radical departure then I am not seeing it.

What's better, don't say Apple, I'll never buy an iPhone. So who's UI is good if Samsung's sucks so bad?

Last edited:
You can uninstall and/or disable any app on the S7 Edge. Whether it be from Samsung/Verizon what have you. I love mine and I've already preordered the S8+.

Ahh there we go. Someone who actually owns the phone and has experience with it.

A fresh change from people bashing what they have never owned or used.

I know I went in the Verizon store the other day and was going from phone to phone taking pics. The Samsung S7 impressed.

I don't like smartphones but I like seeing editorials on the front page. Keep em coming, cageymaru.

You can uninstall and/or disable any app on the S7 Edge.

I have an Verizon S7 and that's not true. They're mostly "core" apps like the built in email, but there's trash like Galaxy Apps, Knox, Samsung Pay Framework, Samsung Themes, etc which has the disable greyed out and at best you can only disable notifications. And that's not getting into 'system apps'.

Ahh there we go. Someone who actually owns the phone and has experience with it.

A fresh change from people bashing what they have never owned or used.

I know I went in the Verizon store the other day and was going from phone to phone taking pics. The Samsung S7 impressed.

I also owned a s7 and confirm this is NOT true.

I suppose LOL . Personally, I'm really not a fan os S7 Edge. My brother recently dropped his and the side glass broke easily. It's so expensive to have it repaired as well.
By the way, what's the best feature of iPhone 7?

As someone who has owned every iPhone, and a number of Android phones. (Currently have an iPhone 7, HTC 10, and soon will have a LG G6) The iPhone 7's enhanced taptic engine is actually pretty cool, and once you get used to it the removal the physical home button is also an improvement surprisingly. That and the general smoothness/performance the iPhone 7 has in pretty much everything.

The contextual clues / feedback the new taptic engine gives is really a neat feature that is hard to explain unless you just use the phone.

I also owned a S7 and sold it after a couple of months because how of crap the performance of it is just doing basic tasks in the OS, and a lot of software ran like shit for seemingly no reason compared to my other Android phones.

I suppose LOL . Personally, I'm really not a fan os S7 Edge. My brother recently dropped his and the side glass broke easily.
I've dropped my edge a ton of times, but I have a, yup, case.

Until manufacturer's actually design their phones to be dropped, I can't fathom why someone would walk around with a $500 bill in their hands not spend $5 on a cheap case on Amazon.

Dropbox? iCloud? Google Drive?

I havent connected an iPhone To itunes in like 5yrs...

People may call Apple hardware inferior but it is just Android fanboy hate generally. iPhones with NVMe storage and crazy fast processors just wipe the floor with any android model. Sure it doesnt have 4K or OLED but it really has no effect in the real world. Hell I think LCD id better for phones in sunlight viewing.

Likewise wireless charging and fast charging cause phones to heat up more and destroy batteries (my note4 battery died after 13 months). Lithium batteries hate heat.

I can also confirm that with the Note 4, i couldnt delete core apps and all the BS duplicate apps Samsung put on there.

I wonder if the new Note 8 will support Samsung Dex. Saw the S8/S8+ being used with the Dex dock and it seemed like a awesome experience.

I've dropped my edge a ton of times, but I have a, yup, case.

Until manufacturer's actually design their phones to be dropped, I can't fathom why someone would walk around with a $500 bill in their hands not spend $5 on a cheap case on Amazon.

Although I didn't like the UI difference in the interface going from a Note2 to a Droid Turbo, I will say the physical ruggedness of the Turbo was excellent. I dumped the case I bought within a couple of weeks. The Kevlar back, though not so pretty was extremely durable, and with a one-time screen replacement guerantee I figured I could take the risk. Not even a scratch other than a small one to the GG coating layer I put on it.

That's good to hear. Maybe that's one of the reasons why I have been seeing lots of people using iPhone 7 more than S7. Did you ever experience lagging with your iPhone 7? That's my problem with my iPhone5s. When I'm playing a game, suddenly freezes.

I haven't experienced freezing on any modern iPhone, but most would agree the iPhone 7 offers a very smooth experience and runs stuff great.

More RAM would be nice, but it isn't a deal breaker as most things load up pretty fast even if they get unloaded from memory.

The bigger the RAM, the faster the phone gets.
I usually download movies to my phone. I think that's the reason why my phone lags.
Do you think iPhone 7 will run smooth if I download up to 5 or 6 movies? I'm always on travel that's why I make sure there are many movies to watch along the way.

.. I don't think downloading movies has anything to do with it. Those use the actual storage, not the RAM.

Back