Samsung F2380

So is Dell 2408WFP a better choice? Does it have similar problems with shadow details or does it fare much better? It's now on sale, so it might be worth picking up.

The only thing I'm worried though is minimum brightness; I've read on Prad.de that 0 brightness is already too bright and I often work in the dark so I don't want to have an eye-strain. I'd appreciate some comments!

Dell 2408WFP - I tested it 1 year ago.

Dell 2408 has let's say "normal" for PVA loss of dark details (e.g. "black crush"). This is an intrinsic part of *VA technology.
If you buy anything on PVA - you get it. Including Eizos. No exceptions. $300 or $3000 - same thing.

F2380 is actually good for eyes if you want to work (what kind of work?) at lower brightnes with Word, Excel, Internet. It's better than Dell 2408 for that. The con is lower vertical resolution of F2380. Other than that it's good for office tasks. Not for photos, of course. Neither Dell is. New Dell 2408 would have some 130cd/m2 at minimum. It flickers more aggressively at min brightness. Add wide gamut issues. Dell 2408 is unique because it sits in the middle of all roads, including price.
BTW HP 2475 has better brightness control.

albovin, I've seen that; great review;

actually, 16:9 doesn't seem like a bad idea for my work. I do programming and my style is vim+terminal. with 16:10 I can nicely fit 2 terminals side by side, or terminal+pdf document, etc. with 16:9, even more so. it gives a nice balance width to height!

There's also this screen - P221W-BK. Slightly pricey, but can handle 1080p signal (1650x1080 seems bit low res though...); it's not like most of PS3 games is 1080p anyway, but for work I'd like 1900x1200 or 1920x1080.

There's also Eizo... But no reviews! S2242W looks interesting and EV2333W (16:9 VA) looks good too. Should be priced similarly to this Nec, but with higher res. Unfortunately 2490WUXi is way to expensive...

This EV series looks rather interesting:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBAHCAA77gE&feature=related

It's rather ugly (especially white with alll these buttons), but in black looks much better ;-) And I like it that it's pretty slim. Don't know if any of those is available in Europe though.

Last edited:
Thanks 10e; I'm still thinking about getting a PVA, with IPS being rare and expensive. I thought about Eizo S2242W, but there is not a single review in sight and price is rather high. 2408WFP looks good, especially on sale. I guess I'll give it a go and hope it won't burn my eyes ;-)

Dell 2209WA is cheap and decent E-IPS.

HP-2475w another good option forget PVA imho.

Looks like the F2380 does not fit the bill.

Waiting for a 23" IPS with same resolution. Any thoughts on one coming out? Dell 2209WA just doesn't cut the mustard.

payside, I want a monitor to use with PS3 and Dell can't handle scaling properly. 16:9 gets stretched to 16:10. If it wasn't for that, I would have bought one long ago...

Dell has a refurb 2709W on the outlet for $600. Dell refurbs are highly regarded if you get a model that comes with a good warranty. However, it could be gone by the time I post this.

Toasty and Albovin, thanks for the reviews.

I see you both don't like this display much. However, would you recommend this for someone that only would use it for single monitor work (photo,3d,boringstuff) without getting out into extreme angles? I mean, dead on it looks good, right?

Right now I'm just dieing to get rid of my 4 year old 17" lcd. I was going to settle for a cheap large monitor from somewhere like newegg, but after playing with my cousin's fancy apple monitor I found out that not all lcds suffer from a washed out picture or glowing blacks. I never liked lcds for this and use my plasma/crt for whatever entertainment.

So if this f2380 has the best contrast dead on with no glowing blacks for a monitor of this price area, that would be good enough for me since I don't care about ghosting. And the crushing blacks can be fixed by software calibration to where it's comparable to that dell, right?

I got mine yesterday, have it setup next to my 3007WFP-HC right now, calibrated with the spyderpro3 I got for the 30inch.

I bought the f2380 to keep in my studio space(architecture student) to keep connected to my laptop so I wouldn't have to work on the 1280x800 screen. At the same time I didn't feel comfortable leaving my 30" there even locked up. I also couldn't stand buying a TN, and I'd say that the samsung is not as *horrible* as I've just read, I'd say for casual/office use, considering price/performance, a $300 1920x1080 screen seems pretty nice.

As a final note, I kinda wish I could keep it at home, rotated into portrait mode it works pretty nice as a document/tutorial/email screen next to the 30". Also the gamma shift is then switched to the vertical plane, and not as severe as a TN would be.

so definitely better than going with a TN screen if you're stuck around $300 for budget?

that's the way I see it.

Dell 22" eIPS@1680x1050 vs F2380@1920x1080, if you need better angles/color fidelity, I'd go with the dell, for a 2nd monitor, or in situations where those can be traded a bit (not as much as a TN) for pixel count/real estate this seems like a good compromise.

Toasty and Albovin, thanks for the reviews.

I see you both don't like this display much. However, would you recommend this for someone that only would use it for single monitor work (photo,3d,boringstuff) without getting out into extreme angles? I mean, dead on it looks good, right?

Right now I'm just dieing to get rid of my 4 year old 17" lcd. I was going to settle for a cheap large monitor from somewhere like newegg, but after playing with my cousin's fancy apple monitor I found out that not all lcds suffer from a washed out picture or glowing blacks. I never liked lcds for this and use my plasma/crt for whatever entertainment.

So if this f2380 has the best contrast dead on with no glowing blacks for a monitor of this price area, that would be good enough for me since I don't care about ghosting. And the crushing blacks can be fixed by software calibration to where it's comparable to that dell, right?

With a 23" PVA screen, at normal viewing distance, you see crush and gamma shift even looking dead on, because the contrast and color crush is not steady across the width of the screen, looking at it from any fixed point. Therefore, I think PVA is unsuitable for critical color work. If your job does not involve critically judging colors, it may not be as much of an issue, although it bothers me personally on my 2407, which I now use as a secondary text-only type monitor.

On the other hand this seems like an excellent reading monitor - good pixel structure and the contrast issues are less visible on high contrast text (black on white, for example) as long as the aspect ratio is OK for you. If you were considering a portrait use monitor for web browsing, this would be great (although the Dell 22" E-IPS would be as well).

Hi,

Not being an expert the review for Samsung F2380 it is a little bit confusing.

I need an display for PS3 gaming and HD (720, 1080) movies by connecting it to my laptop using the HDMI port. The 1920x1080 resolution it is a must for me.

So I end with this two options: Samsung F2380 (VA) and Samsung 2494 (TN).

From the review it seems that the ghosting effect for the F2380 it is too big to be used for gaming and movies. On the other hand the visual angles and the color proprieties are much more better.

Please advice.

Thanks,

Stefan.

Hi,

Not being an expert the review for Samsung F2380 it is a little bit confusing.

I need an display for PS3 gaming and HD (720, 1080) movies by connecting it to my laptop using the HDMI port. The 1920x1080 resolution it is a must for me.

So I end with this two options: Samsung F2380 (VA) and Samsung 2494 (TN).

From the review it seems that the ghosting effect for the F2380 it is too big to be used for gaming and movies. On the other hand the visual angles and the color proprieties are much more better.

Please advice.

Thanks,

Stefan.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...2E16824176109,N82E16824005126,N82E16824005120

http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10419&cs_id=1041902&p_id=2029&seq=1&format=2

Last edited:

Do you think one of those monitors are better than Samsung at gaming and multimedia? The thing is I don't trust brands like Acer, Auria ( actually I don't even heard of this brand and I don't think I will find it in Romania). Asus it's ok as a brand and I like their products I have but they are not for too long on the display market.

This two Samsung monitors are in stores here and I like the brand. Actually the current monitor I have is SyncMaster 205bw. I like it's vertical adjustment but I don't like the fact that it's stretching my PS3 output due to 16:10 aspect.

Related to HDMI to DVI adaptor, I have one and I am using it with my current setting. The HDMI port it's not a must but it helps a lot.

I really need a opinion about the best monitor between those two Samsung when it comes to gaming performance and full HD movies.

Related to TN panels, I am used with my old one and I think I never seen an ISP or PVA, not explicitly. So I don't know if it's wort trading the advantages of the TN panel on the PVA's features!?

From the above review I choose F2380 but I really don't know how disturbing is those ghosting values and the delays it got. Even if it does not bothering me directly I read somewhere that it causes stress and headache on log run!!??

Thank you

Thanks for the input, sethk. I will just hold out on picking this guy up.
stefan.d, if you have the the samsungs to compare, the best thing is to do that in person and see which looks better or if the f2380's ghosting is really terrible or not. If you have the money I would go with a 42" plasma which should be about twice the price of the samsung. In my opinion, great for movies/games even at 720p.

Thanks for the input, sethk. I will just hold out on picking this guy up.
stefan.d, if you have the the samsungs to compare, the best thing is to do that in person and see which looks better or if the f2380's ghosting is really terrible or not. If you have the money I would go with a 42" plasma which should be about twice the price of the samsung. In my opinion, great for movies/games even at 720p.

I am agree with you but I don't have the necessary space to hold a big television and I also need the monitor for big development space that it offers and any good multimedia display will do the job.

I can order one of those displays but I can't have a look and try chance for any of the displays. Also the thing you guys have there with returning stuff if you are not please with them, none of the stores in here offer such a service so I am stuck with reviews and your experience and that is why I am posting.

Thanks.

Waiting for a 23" IPS with same resolution. Any thoughts on one coming out? Dell 2209WA just doesn't cut the mustard.

Same here, I want eIPS at 1080p. PVA has good contrast, but it accomplishes it by murdering shadow detail and gamma stability. It's essentially useless technology next to IPS, I don't know why Samsung keeps crapping it out. Nothing to see here, folks, move along.

Last edited:
Yeah,

I looked pretty hard at the F2380, from a review standpoint, but did finally by an NEC EA231WMi.

The reviews seem to run hot and cold on the F2380. Apparently the model has an upgrade to F2380"M", which includes speakers, USB ports, and maybe some other minor refinements, all for about the same price as the non-M model.

So, it seems to me that either one of these versions are a good value, especially if you've confirmed that it meets your visual satisfaction.

Peace to you,
C. Livingstone

Samsung F 2380 is discussed here. Thank you.

1. Samsung F2380 review
2. Samsung F2380 review
3. Samsung F2380 review

Last edited:
I didn't even see this thread. I might pick one up tomorrow from Frys.

Really? I saw it at frys and it looked awesome. Much better than any other display they had setup..

See the review at prad.de. It offers some advancement, but unfortunately had some issue too...

I'll have to try that test when I check it out tomorrow.

I just read the DigitalVersus review and they liked it alot.

Going to Frys at lunch to pick it up. We'll see how good or bad it is once I get it home..

Just got it. They only had the display model left. They gave me 20% off. so it was only $259. I'll hook it up when I get home..

I just started a new job and the monitors they got me are this Samsung F2380.

I have to say I quite like these monitors. I use them for CAD work and I have become quite sensitive to input lag in testing out different monitors and I can not tell a difference between these and my old Samsung 19" BF LCD.

Everything looks sharp and colors dont look way out there (like some wide gamut montiors) and are consistent (minimal light variation accross the panel.). Sitting here I havent noticed any veiwing angle issues with them set up as a V around me and blacks look black. I do notice some black crush on my background image though. I dont deal with dark colors very offten so I can't comment too much on this issue.

The big issue with these montiors is the ghosting. Black to blue and black to red are esspecially bad. I have never had a LCD monitor with as bad of ghosting as this one has and the onboard Response Time setting seems to do nothing. It's so bad that I can zoom in and out on auto cad and see geometry 4cm accross the screen as it fades. It doesn't affect my work so I dont care in this application but I would never think about using one of these monitors for gaming or video.

But for certain content creation applications (CAD, Photo, any thing that doesn't involve motion, etc) I could definitly see these being a great value.

Back