Samsung F2380 vs F2380mx

Input lag on the F2380 series is like 3-(Digital Versus Average) 7ms (Prad.de) which is basically non-existent.

The MX feels identical to the F2380 which is the same as the F2380M. I have no way of measuring it but i can tell they are pretty much the same.

Comparison between NEC and Samsung inlcuding input lag (NEC is 15ms average)
http://www.digitalversus.com/duels.php?ty=6&ma1=36&mo1=571&p1=6293&ma2=52&mo2=95&p2=969&ph=12

the NEC is equivalent to a 2ms TN while the Samsung is a 5ms.

I would pick up the MX simply as a second monitor. Use it for desktop use and movies and the NEC for games. I would stay away from any IPS screen (I don't trust Dell not worth taking a gamble) except the NEC EA2311, but the MX is clearly the better monitor. Here is the the NEC EA23 VS the Samsung F2380M.

http://www.digitalversus.com/duels.php?ty=6&ma1=36&mo1=571&p1=6293&ma2=52&mo2=671&p2=7773&ph=12

Be prepared for SOLID BLACKS even with the lights turned out it is incredible. The MX is darker than my Samsung LN46A950 which is a Local Dimmed LED.

Sorry for the late update guys, I've been quite busy. Anyway, I finally got to play some MW2 on this a few days ago and the experience was great. I'm serious about precision and responsiveness as I'm trying to maintain a high kill death ratio and I play with a relatively high sensitivity. This monitor is not as responsive as the NEC and there is a somewhat noticeable difference between the two when playing MW2. However, the worst you will have to deal with is a slightly more blurry screen when making quick turns. Honestly, I don't see the responsiveness being an issue unless you are playing FPS solely on a PC. Like NCX said, the input lag is quite low and while it may not be as responsive as a TN panel, it's more than suitable enough for gaming. The worst I experienced was some minor ghosting in NHL 10 but that was during the intro screen prior to every match. I never had any problems in the actual games though.

The one major difference between this monitor and the last two I had (PX2370 and NEC WMi) when playing MW2 is the accuracy of colours and the sharp image. Colours look a bit better but the one thing that really surprised me was the sharpness. The image was nice and crisp without any artifacts and this made it easier to spot enemies from far away.

NCX, I used most of your settings but it didn't make a noticeable difference in PQ. One thing that I did notice was the fact the the default colours looked better than what you set it to but what really confuses me is the huge difference when changing HDMI black level to normal. It looked a tad yellow when I did that so I put it back to low which looks great. Setting response time to normal is a must however as I definitely noticed some overdrive with faster. I have no idea why your settings don't work well on my monitor but I'm quite happy with the current PQ and I don't feel that calibration will be necessary.

Thanks to the recommendation on this thread i just picked up the F2380MX and i have to say it is beyond belief. Well maybe cuz i'm moving from an LG Flatron L227 monitor.

But the vibrancy and color this is producing is just amazing really. Watching tv through my windows media center is just bright and colorful. I'm not very technical with the settings either but i was able to adjust it to my liking cuz out of the box the monitor was too bright.

I do see a little bit of artifacts and blurs but its not distracting as i thought it would. Though it would be alot worse but its actually pretty good.

The white frame is actually not worrying at all and looks alot more fashionable( that dont mean kobe should be wearing white).

Just gonna give it a few more days before i decide if i'm gonna keep it or return it.

Thanks to the recommendation on this thread i just picked up the F2380MX and i have to say it is beyond belief. Well maybe cuz i'm moving from an LG Flatron L227 monitor.

But the vibrancy and color this is producing is just amazing really. Watching tv through my windows media center is just bright and colorful. I'm not very technical with the settings either but i was able to adjust it to my liking cuz out of the box the monitor was too bright.

I do see a little bit of artifacts and blurs but its not distracting as i thought it would. Though it would be alot worse but its actually pretty good.

The white frame is actually not worrying at all and looks alot more fashionable( that dont mean kobe should be wearing white).

Just gonna give it a few more days before i decide if i'm gonna keep it or return it.

Today is my last day to return my LG W2361V which I am very happy with overall. I just want to make sure I am making the right decision. I too had an L227WTG. How would you say the monitors compare? Aside from the viewing angles of course, the L227 is known for having vibrant colors especially with it's glossy screen.

I really want to compare the W2361V side by side with Samsung's PX2370 and F2380mx but I am leaning heavily at the moment with just settling with the W2361V especially for the price instead of the never ending search for the perfect monitor which just does not exist.

Are there any reviews of the F2380mx? Every review seems to be of the f2380. But here are a couple of youtube videos that make me really interested in the F2380mx:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTNi6ofWV0s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09WQfI2KYuY

This monitor is really good except for the ghosting, so forget it if you're gonna play games on it it's terrible. Other than that the picture quality is exceptional. But I can't stand the ghosting so I'm gonna return it.

This monitor is really good except for the ghosting, so forget it if you're gonna play games on it it's terrible. Other than that the picture quality is exceptional. But I can't stand the ghosting so I'm gonna return it.

Thank you. I think you've made up my mind.

Thank you. I think you've made up my mind.
PVA is inherently slower than other lcd types; you are trading response time for black levels. Personally I would get this monitor for video, which is where I think deep black levels benefit most, and use another for gaming. At least until we have oled monitors that are excellent in all aspects.

Today is my last day to return my LG W2361V which I am very happy with overall. I just want to make sure I am making the right decision. I too had an L227WTG. How would you say the monitors compare? Aside from the viewing angles of course, the L227 is known for having vibrant colors especially with it's glossy screen.

I really want to compare the W2361V side by side with Samsung's PX2370 and F2380mx but I am leaning heavily at the moment with just settling with the W2361V especially for the price instead of the never ending search for the perfect monitor which just does not exist.

Are there any reviews of the F2380mx? Every review seems to be of the f2380. But here are a couple of youtube videos that make me really interested in the F2380mx:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTNi6ofWV0s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09WQfI2KYuY

Like i said it performs even better than the F2380.

LG vs Samsung
http://www.digitalversus.com/duels.php?ty=6&ma1=35&mo1=472&p1=4614&ma2=36&mo2=571&p2=6293&ph=1

Just read the Samsung review and keep in mind the MX is even better. Other than performing the same as a 5ms TN the MX is the best all around monitor hands down.

I use mine for console gaming every day, even though I could be using a faster panel. The blurring doesn't bother me. I have to be looking for it, and I am used to using these for gaming:

http://www.digitalversus.com/duels.php?ty=6&ma1=35&mo1=521&p1=5373&ma2=36&mo2=458&p2=4495&ph=1

The trade off is that you get an amazing picture and never have to worry about backlight bleed. Games like Dead Space, L4D greatly benift from a deep black level, same with movies with dark scenes. Some games actually exhibit almost no blurring at all,while in others it is obvious.

For example in the first part of L4D2 "The Passing," it is very obvious, almost every charcter movement shows some blurring but once you get to the 2nd level I had a hard time seeing any at all. Lost Planet 2 looks flawless, same with Bad Company 2, but it becomes obvious in Borderlands. Still it never bothers me because it looks so good.

Update as of today (Thursday) the F2380MX is now only 330$ at Best Buy Canada!

Last edited:
Like i said it performs even better than the F2380.

LG vs Samsung
http://www.digitalversus.com/duels.php?ty=6&ma1=35&mo1=472&p1=4614&ma2=36&mo2=571&p2=6293&ph=1

Just read the Samsung review and keep in mind the MX is even better. Other than performing the same as a 5ms TN the MX is the best all around monitor hands down.

I use mine for console gaming every day, even though I could be using a faster panel. The blurring doesn't bother me. I have to be looking for it, and I am used to using these for gaming:

http://www.digitalversus.com/duels.php?ty=6&ma1=35&mo1=521&p1=5373&ma2=36&mo2=458&p2=4495&ph=1

The trade off is that you get an amazing picture and never have to worry about backlight bleed. Games like Dead Space, L4D greatly benift from a deep black level, same with movies with dark scenes. Some games actually exhibit almost no blurring at all,while in others it is obvious.

For example in the first part of L4D2 "The Passing," it is very obvious, almost every charcter movement shows some blurring but once you get to the 2nd level I had a hard time seeing any at all. Lost Planet 2 looks flawless, same with Bad Company 2, but it becomes obvious in Borderlands. Still it never bothers me because it looks so good.

Why cant we get this monitor in the US :( I wish someone would put some of these on eBay, they could some profit on these!!

Are you fucking shitting me? This, the day after the trial period on my monitor runs out. :( Do you have a link? It's still showing as $399.

I really want to try this monitor out but I have to be honest, without gettnig into a long story I am completely disenchanted with samsung because of my 32" TV with a "C" panel has horrible ghosting / smearing especially in borderlands like you mentioned.

My reasoning for choosing the W2361V over the F2380mx and feel free to convince me otherwise, is gaming. I am all about picture quality and immersiveness but I also want every edge over my competition I can get.The blacks on my monitor are black, not pitch black but black none the less. The colors are popping and it has good contrast and detail. Is the slight{?} bump in picture quality worth putting up with ghosting or the aggravation of missing a shot because of a blurry target or artifacts in the background? I am pretty confident with my decision but I still would like to see this monitor in action.

I play a ton of shooters like Bad Company 2, Lost Planet 2, L4D2, on mine. Blurring only occurs unless you are panning the camera rapidly from L/R during FPS games. There is almost no input lag, so for hardcore gamers like ourselves it's perfect.

It doesn't reflect being 330$ on the site but it was in the flyer. Just go online and check the BB flyer.

And yes it is worth it. The bit of blurring for over a 3000:1 contrast ratio is totally worth it. PQ is stunning and breathes new life into some games. I suggest just buying it, compare it with your LG as you have a 14 day return period.

Blurring only occurs unless you are panning the camera rapidly from L/R during FPS games

FPS on the PC usually requires fast reactions, meaning lots of panning. As I have gotten older I find myself playing more Medium paced FPS games. You know NCX I just received my flyer in the mail today and I must tell you I am tempted to go buy this Monitor and try it out. BB has a wonderful return policy, that I call try before Buy. I am concerned though, you have made a big deal about the units Contrast capabilities but from the reviews I have read(F2380) they say that it's 150000:1 contrast is only noticeable by the sensor not the human eye.

Also there seems to be alot of people here on Hforum that feel strongly that C-PVA still can't compete against IPS for overall quality and versatility.

Yeaa, The sales associate told me about the price drop when i was buying mine and said i should look out for it and i would get a refund when i bring in my receipt. So thats about $69 back. which makes it about $10 to $15 than the PX2370. So all in all its a great buy.

This is certainly been a wondering upgrade. Just tried the HDMI with my cable box it was impressive as well. I'm just completely stunned with everything for real.

Just gotta figure out what i'm gonna do with my discontinuned monitor cuz i doubt i'd get a buyer if i sell it.

Website is now updated.

Last edited:
FPS on the PC usually requires fast reactions, meaning lots of panning. As I have gotten older I find myself playing more Medium paced FPS games. You know NCX I just received my flyer in the mail today and I must tell you I am tempted to go buy this Monitor and try it out. BB has a wonderful return policy, that I call try before Buy. I am concerned though, you have made a big deal about the units Contrast capabilities but from the reviews I have read(F2380) they say that it's 150000:1 contrast is only noticeable by the sensor not the human eye.

Also there seems to be alot of people here on Hforum that feel strongly that C-PVA still can't compete against IPS for overall quality and versatility.

The "review" you are talking about is the blogspot "review," that says the contrast is hidden and can only be detected by the sensor. None of the official reviews say that.

Mine is calibrated next to a monitor that has nearly a 1000:1 contrast and 0.10cdm/2 black level. By comparison it looks washed out and there is a clear loss of detail during some scenes and black never looks

Buy and try my settings. You have 14 days to decide if you can see a difference, if not don't waste your money.

A question regarding the ghosting.

From the reviews I've seen, they mention the monitor seems to mostly have trouble with darker hues in regards to ghosting. This does seem to correspond to what I saw when I briefly tried the monitor. As I noticed ghosting in a darker/more gray indoor room in Fallout 3 (PC version), but much less while looking around outdoors.

However in your examples you mention that Borderlands had the most noticeable ghosting/blurring, which I understand is a more brightly colored game with more solid colors. And you listed Left 4 Dead has having less noticeable ghosting, which I understand is a darker game? I've only briefly tried either game, not too familiar with them.

I play PC games only, many of which tend to be very bright and colorful, and also watch a lot of animated films, not just live action movies. So I'm wondering If I would benefit as much from the better blacks to live with the ghosting trade off.

That pivot option on the monitor would be great for the reading/image viewing I do however.

I'm wondering if I should re-buy this screen, especially with the price drop, and give it a more longer trial over several days/a week to see if I can get used to the ghosting/blur. Though it does seem kind of awkward to have bought and returned so many monitors in such a short period of time.

A question regarding the ghosting.

From the reviews I've seen, they mention the monitor seems to mostly have trouble with darker hues in regards to ghosting. This does seem to correspond to what I saw when I briefly tried the monitor. As I noticed ghosting in a darker/more gray indoor room in Fallout 3 (PC version), but much less while looking around outdoors.

However in your examples you mention that Borderlands had the most noticeable ghosting/blurring, which I understand is a more brightly colored game with more solid colors. And you listed Left 4 Dead has having less noticeable ghosting, which I understand is a darker game? I've only briefly tried either game, not too familiar with them.

I play PC games only, many of which tend to be very bright and colorful, and also watch a lot of animated films, not just live action movies. So I'm wondering If I would benefit as much from the better blacks to live with the ghosting trade off.

That pivot option on the monitor would be great for the reading/image viewing I do however.

I'm wondering if I should re-buy this screen, especially with the price drop, and give it a more longer trial over several days/a week to see if I can get used to the ghosting/blur. Though it does seem kind of awkward to have bought and returned so many monitors in such a short period of time.

In borderlands the ghosting is only really noticeable when looking at the ugly grey mountains and panning the camera, other wise it is basically unoticeable with all the bright colors. I recently played the Dr. Zed Zombie DLC and didn't notice any either. I have also never noticed ANY during Lost Planet 2, and there is only minor blur durring Bad Company 2 when panning the camera rapidly, but your vision is never affected/obscured, there are no overdrive errors or corona effects either. Pretty much all LCD's have a degree of motion blur, the only way to combat this is with Motion Compensation on TV's like Auto-Motion Plus,

L4D2 is where it is the most noticeable during the ugly day time levels (360 version looks like garbage during the day and L4D2 has built in Motion-Blur), but almost never during the darker campaigns like Dark Carvinal, Heavy Rain? and the Passing level 2. Still L4D2 greatly benifits from the PQ the F2380MX offers and makes it a much more atmospheric experience. Haven't played Fallout 3 yet so I can't comment.

I just recently watched the anime movie Evangelion: You are Not Alone and never noticed any, same with Halo Legends. In most films it is basically unoticeable unless the camera is panning rapidly from L/R, but actual character movement is usually perfect I also just watched "The Damned United," in which a soccer ball is being kicked around, it never blurred once.

The thing is when there is ghosting it's easier for me to spot as I usually use a 120hz TN and a 120hz TV for movies. My friend has the monitor as well and he has never noticed any, even why I try to point it out he can't see any. Like I've said unless you are used to a much faster panel you probably won't notice any unless you are deliberately looking for it.

It's kind of like Input Lag, if you have never heard of it you probably won't notice it. Ignorance is bliss in these sorts of situations.

I should work for Samsung, I freaking love the F2380MX, and I loved the original even before I calibrated it and used it for 2 months with the black crush.

I'm coming from a Viewsonic VX922 -

http://www.digitalversus.com/duels.php?ty=6&ma1=41&mo1=74&p1=794&ma2=36&mo2=571&p2=6293&ph=1

I guess I will buy and try it again, especially seeing the 70 dollar price drop, and try it for a week or two without specifically looking for the ghosting. Perhaps I was too quick to judge the first time, as I was specifically worried about this issue and may have been looking too much into it. This time I'll try it during usage, as opposed to a direct side by side comparison. Though the difference maybe between I'm playing higher FPS PC games vs. console.

At worst even if I don't like it, it'll give them sometime to get in new PX2370 shipments that might resolve the scratch issue I'm getting (if you follow that thread).

As a side question, the FX2380 has true 8 bit colors as opposed to dithering?

@limitedaccess

Do you currently have the f2380mx in your possession? Any impressions?

Does this monitor have good PQ? Well as you might expect from all the measurements you've seen, it does have deep blacks and good details in dark areas (not sure what I should be looking at to find the "black crush" problem, so perhaps its resolved), no doubt due to the high static contrast (and possibly the fact the covers a wider color gamut compared to a TN as well). Is it three times better as comparable TNs as the numbers suggest? Well that would be entirely subjective.

However the problem with the monitor is the response time. It just seems to be very slow in transitioning from certain colors to others, most notably red hues moving around in dark backgrounds. So basically, it ghosts in some situations and not very noticeably in some situations. Of course in any sort of synthetic type test where you're up close and looking for ghosting it will ghost. Overall I felt the ghosting too distracting however in too many situations.

If I had to compare vs. PX2370, I felt the smoother movement on the PX outweighs the high contrast/deeper blacks of the F2380MX.

Edit: Just to add, I no longer have the monitor currently, and did not really do any detailed image comparisons, and really tried it out in regular usage essentially. I tried the monitor out with a variety of games and just found it would not be enjoyable due to the ghosting, it may be due to the fact my eyes are used to using a 2 ms panel for last few years. I think my final choices will be between the Samsung PX2370, Acer H243h, and the Dell U2311.

Last edited:
Well I just returned this monitor after 2 weeks of very tough deliberation and I'm still not sure I made the right decision. It's akin to someone pointing a gun to your head and making you have to choose for the rest of your life between the prettiest girl you've ever seen but who's not very good in bed or an average looking girl who will rock your world. Basically it comes down to Picture Quality vs Performance ie. ghosting or should I say lack there of.

I LOVE the F2380MX deep blacks, colors and contrast. This thing blows my samsung 32a550 out of the water! This monitor has the OMG WOW factor. I had just finished God of War 3 and as a test I hooked it up to the F2380MX and I instantly thought,"Man I wish I had played it on this monitor!" It really brings everything to life and even simple things like skin tones in movies are sooo rich and life like.

I learnt something about this completely RETARDED game we like to play called "LCD shopping" that you don't need glossy panels to make colors pop. The high static contrast really make them pop! In fact my ideal monitor and TV would be the F2380MX panel but without ghosting. Is that possible with todays tech or are we going to have to wait for OLED?

I noticed the ghosting instantly and the more I looked for it the more nauseating it became. When I eventually stopped looking for it and just admired the picture/games it wasn't so bad. The game that made me return it however was Batman AA on the PC. The ghosting and blurring just made the game unplayable imo. I also had everything on default including response time set to "faster". I couldn't imagine setting it to anything slower!

In my situation I already have the Lg 2361V and samsung LN32A550. I need the LG's fast panel to complement my slower PVA HDTV. The other option was to sell my TV and keep the F2380MX as part of a dual display. In the end I went with the easier option which was to return the monitor however I haven't ruled out the thought of buying it again. It's just that good!

Having the response time set to anything but normal introduces clear color banding and smearing/streaking even with low motion content.

I played Batman AA on the 360 back in november and was so wowed by the PQ I never saw ghosting/streaking once. Having a much higher framerate would also make blur more noticeable, which is why I recommend the MX for consoles and movies. The LG/MX would have been the perfect gaming/movie set up.

Just picked up the F2380MX last night. It's amazing! Colour accuracy, viewing angles, black levels I'm all really impressed with. I'm happy with the actual response time but there is noticeable ghosting during games and high motion scenes on movies.

Being use to my Pioneer Kuro PDP-5010FD I don't think I could deal with bad black levels. The F2380MX is by far the closest LCD to my Kuro i've seen in terms of black levels. While the ghosting is noticeable during games and fast moving movie senes the black levels are worth the trade off for me, please note this is a personal preference.

For watching movies, home photo editing, gaming (non-FPS), and internet use I think the F2380MX is a great choice! For those into FPS games look else where.

The next time I buy a display it will have this kind of black levels and colour accuracy, as well as faster response and no ghosting... I might be waiting a while, for now the F2380MX will do.

I just bought one from Bestbuy on sale for $299 this week. I had 3xU2410s earlier but all were sent back for various issues (ie. tint).

Initial impressions of the F2380mx, blacks, instantly noticeable. They are really, really nice blacks. Like black as ink. No loss of detail (black crush) here. Sharpness, I noticed it's not as sharp as a U2410. Colors seem okay, but again I think U2410 has better color reproduction (in sRGB mode) and saturation. However Dell does have factory calibration (albeit not very accurate). I think one of the reasons the blacks look so good is that the Samsung doesn't have a super aggressive AG coat like the Dells'. Also, I notice no tint issues on the Samsung, as I did with 2 of my U2410s.

Ghosting...there definitely is ghosting. Minimizing/maximizing windows. Mouse trail. Moving windows around fast. Some fast motions.
But I don't really game on my computer, and especially not on my computer monitor. I will still try my xbox 360 and ps3 on it later though. I have tried a few anime episodes and have ghosting were not a big issue. There were certain parts where I could see ghosting in videos, but I was really looking for it.

Overall I am impressed...But I still might get a U2711 instead. Will see how I feel after more use and testing.
Pros:
-excellent ink-like blacks
-great stand design, and design overall, the white is beautiful as is dim power LED
-no tinting issues on mine, yes I know its c-PVA, but since my 3xU2410s I've been looking extra hard for tint issues on other LCDs (Im sick of experiencing/hearing about tinting issues on IPS panels as of late)
-no aggressive AG coat as compared to the current Dells, in fact the coat(if there is any) is like the one on my 2005fpw (if there is any)...

Some nitpicky things:
-$299 sale price, isn't exactly cheap for a 23"
-Value?...no USB, no displayport, no card reader, useless MagicBright, MagicColor etcetc...
-Ghosting is bad compared to my 5 yr old Dell 2005fpw (rated 16ms) in which I see no ghosting on...
-colors are not as good as I expected
-sharpness
-16:9, only 1920x1080

Last edited:
Not like I can buy the mx since I live in the US but I'm still heif the color of mx is vibrant or not. Does the pop like px2370? Is it close?

Been testing xbox 360 on it, there is some ghosting but it should be acceptable for most...
l4d2, bayonetta, mass effect 2 all played fine, and ghosting was only mostly noticeable if I looked for it...

Now I am a bit stumped though. I am not too fond of the 16:9 aspect and resolution. If this were a 24" 16:10 and resolution then it'd be perfect.

I love the black levels, and once I set it to gamma mode 2, the colors are much nicer and also everything just seems easier on my eyes (sharper). On gamma mode 2 it rivals the U2410 sharpness and color.

One thing is the height adjustment is a bit hard to adjust, the white bezel is glossy and scratches easily like a Nintendo DS. I already put a small scratch on mine while adjusting the height =*[

Also I notice the response time settings, when set to faster there is quite a bit of motion blurring, when set to fastest the picture actually artifacts, so I just stick to normal.

Still might switch to u2711, which is also 16:9, but has a higher resolution.

Also I notice the response time settings, when set to faster there is quite a bit of motion blurring, when set to fastest the picture actually artifacts, so I just stick to normal.

Like I mentioned, most of my time with this montior was set on the default "faster" setting. One would assume that the faster setting is faster than normal so can someone please explain to me why there is motion blurring with faster and not normal? And what kind of artifacts are you noticing on "fastest"?

Like I mentioned, most of my time with this montior was set on the default "faster" setting. One would assume that the faster setting is faster than normal so can someone please explain to me why there is motion blurring with faster and not normal? And what kind of artifacts are you noticing on "fastest"?

Yes like NCX says, it is color streaking or blurring whatever, and it's so bad on 'fastest' that it looks like artifacts from a bad graphics card. Just because it says its faster/fastest doesn't mean it's better. There's obviously a trade-off, or why wouldn't they change 'fastest' just be the default setting, and remove any user adjustability...Much like MagicBright and MagicColor, just cause its there doesn't mean its better...

Looks best on 'Normal' for me. I did buy it for $299 last friday, which I think is a decent price.

I've been watching sc2 replays (since beta is down for now), and noticed when scrolling the screen the ghosting can be quite bad. So much that I might return the monitor. Even though for Xbox 360 gaming I did not mind the ghosting. I wish beta were up, so I could test the game personally on the monitor...

The good thing about this monitor is that I can easily return it with no hassle at Bestbuy, as opposed to the gruelling process with Dell's outsourced buddies on the phone...

I can't understand wanting to return the monitor due to some ghosting in certain movies/programs. The monitor is simply outstanding in terms of overall PQ. There is no comparison when set up next to monitor with <900:1 contrast ratio (mine is next to a PX2370)

I really recommend having a dual monitor set up, have the MX for movies and some games and a faster TN for other stuff. Save up some extra $$ and you have the ultimate gaming/movie set up.

PS Gamma Mode 2 adds black crush as does setting the HDMI black level to low.

If you can't stand it then get the Acer G245H, in a day time enviroment the glossy screen makes colors pop out and black appears black, in the dark it trumps the PX2370 as well.

Last edited:
PS Gamma Mode 2 adds black crush as does setting the HDMI black level to low.

Yeah there is some slight black crush for mode 2. But for some reason it's just easier on my eyes, especially the text when I set to mode 2. Or maybe I have yet to adjust to the new monitor.

I just managed to find a way to test SC2 (in-game replay) and it was fine as opposed to the 1080p youtube replays I was watching.

So I guess I will keep it :D
Now to decide whether or not to grab a second one, lol...$299 is great alternative to Dell's/Lg's IPS woes...

Yeah there is some slight black crush for mode 2. But for some reason it's just easier on my eyes, especially the text when I set to mode 2. Or maybe I have yet to adjust to the new monitor.

I just managed to find a way to test SC2 (in-game replay) and it was fine as opposed to the 1080p youtube replays I was watching.

So I guess I will keep it :D
Now to decide whether or not to grab a second one, lol...$299 is great alternative to Dell's/Lg's IPS woes...

I wouldn't get a 2nd, even though I love it. Get a cheaper gaming panel like the Glossy Acer G245H (230$) for gaming

Read my Review
http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1035834696&postcount=16

Or maybe Asus MS246H (200$ @New Egg)
Review
http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/asus_ms246h.htm

I'm in the same boat as you, I kind of want to get a Dell U2311 but am very afraid, also I hate Dell. Gotta sell my PX2370 and get a G245H or G235HZ.

I'm in the same boat as you, I kind of want to get a Dell U2311 but am very afraid, also I hate Dell. Gotta sell my PX2370 and get a G245H or G235HZ.

I don't do much gaming on my monitor, so a super fast TN is really required. I only plan on playing SC2, which I tested out last night to be just fine on the Sammy.

Yeah the U2311h is supposed to be on sale during the Dell Days of Deals going on right now (i think tomorrow is it's day?)...As is the U2711 (on Saturday? I think). I forget...

If any one is interested I measured the Samsung F2380MX's contrast stability last night with the Eye One Display 2 colorimeter and BasICColor 4.1.20

minimum luminance: 16cdm/2
Black depth: 0.01cdm/2
contrast ratio: 404:1cdm/2

luminance: 99.8 cdm/2
black depth: 0.04cdm/2
contrast ratio: 2500:1

I use 120cdm/2

luminance 120.16 cd/m2
black depth: 0.04cd/m2
contrast ratio: 3004:1

luminance 139.11cd/m2
black depth: 0.05cd/m2
contrast ratio 2782:1

Maximum luminance 219.25cdm/2
black depth: 0.08cdm/2
contrast ratio: 2741:1

Amazing that at 220cd/m2 the MX can retain 0.08cd/m2 black depth. The Acer G245H and Samsung PX2370 are around 0.25cd/m2+ at that type of brightness

Last edited:
If any one is interested I measured the Samsung F2380MX's contrast stability last night with the Eye One Display 2 colorimeter and BasICColor 4.1.20

minimum luminance: 16cdm/2
Black depth: 0.01cdm/2
contrast ratio: 404:1cdm/2

luminance: 99.8 cdm/2
black depth: 0.04cdm/2
contrast ratio: 2500:1

I use 120cdm/2

luminance 120.16 cd/m2
black depth: 0.04cd/m2
contrast ratio: 3004:1

luminance 139.11cd/m2
black depth: 0.05cd/m2
contrast ratio 2782:1

Maximum luminance 219.25cdm/2
black depth: 0.08cdm/2
contrast ratio: 2741:1

Amazing that at 220cd/m2 the MX can retain 0.08cd/m2 black depth. The Acer G245H and Samsung PX2370 are around 0.25cd/m2+ at that type of brightness

Could you share your settings for the monitor for both 120cdm/2 and 139cdm/2 luminance levels? I am going to go up to Canada to pick this monitor up, if I use your settings (color etc) will it be close to 6500k?? Thanks in advance!

P.S anymore pics of this monitor with 360 games on it? Do you have any racing games you could show? Thanks!

How would I get audio from my 360 if I hook it up hdmi to this monitor??

Could you share your settings for the monitor for both 120cdm/2 and 139cdm/2 luminance levels? I am going to go up to Canada to pick this monitor up, if I use your settings (color etc) will it be close to 6500k?? Thanks in advance!

P.S anymore pics of this monitor with 360 games on it? Do you have any racing games you could show? Thanks!

How would I get audio from my 360 if I hook it up hdmi to this monitor??

I only calibrated the MX to 120cdm/2, but I will post those settings. Color temp is 6540K w/o a calibration profile and just my settings..

Picture:

Brightness: 53
Contrast: 95
Sharpness 60
MagicBright: custom
Response Time: Normal
HDMI Black Level: Normal (unless you like a very dark image, black depth is greatly increased)

Color:
Magic Color: Off
Red: 29
Greem: 25
Blue: 31
Color Tone: Custom
Color Effect: Off
Gamma Mode: 1

You can get audio by hooking consoles up via HDMI, also there is a headphone jack on the side

I haven't played any racing games but feel free to browse my photobucket ablum there are a ton of 360 game pictures on it
http://s270.photobucket.com/albums/jj118/NCX123/

Hmm...After more use, I've noticed the viewing angles on the F2380mx are actually pretty crappy. Probably just very slightly better than a TN. Quite a bit of color shift...

I only calibrated the MX to 120cdm/2, but I will post those settings. Color temp is 6540K w/o a calibration profile and just my settings..

Picture:

Brightness: 53
Contrast: 95
Sharpness 60
MagicBright: custom
Response Time: Normal
HDMI Black Level: Normal (unless you like a very dark image, black depth is greatly increased)

Color:
Magic Color: Off
Red: 29
Greem: 25
Blue: 31
Color Tone: Custom
Color Effect: Off
Gamma Mode: 1

You can get audio by hooking consoles up via HDMI, also there is a headphone jack on the side

I haven't played any racing games but feel free to browse my photobucket ablum there are a ton of 360 game pictures on it
http://s270.photobucket.com/albums/jj118/NCX123/

Where is the head phone jack located on the monitor?? I have seen the F2380 and I didn't think it had a headphone jack??

Also the hdmi black level at normal still give the .04 black level?? Thanks!

Back