Samsung Epic 4G

Blown 89

2[H]4U
I see that Samsung's Galaxy S will ship as the epic 4G to Sprint which means an LED flash, keyboard, and added size and weight. What do you think the chances that they'll ship the Vibrant (T-mobile's version) to Sprint in 4G form. I hate big thick phones and the Epic 4G looks to be one :(

Isn't it something around 14mm? That doesn't count as thick, in my book. Especially considering it has a keyboard!

Chances are none. If you want the Epic 4G without a keyboard, why wouldn't you get an Evo? It's not really much bigger (than the Galaxy/Vibrant), is it?

The Epic is actually thicker than the Evo.

I'd already consider the Evo way too thick... So that automatically knocked the Epic out.

Evo... 12mm
Epic.... 14mm+

Compared to the Vibrant (non-slider TMobile version):
Vibrant... 9mm
Captivate... 10mm (ATT's version)

Just for fun... iPhone 4... 9mm

So the Epic is 55% thicker than will be TMobile's offering. That's a freaking thick device.

Last edited:
Also note... the iPhone 4 was moronically (as usual) proclaimed the thinnest smartphone in the world. Maybe at release??? The Vibrant obviously gives it a good running, as will the Droid X.

Chances are none. If you want the Epic 4G without a keyboard, why wouldn't you get an Evo? It's not really much bigger (than the Galaxy/Vibrant), is it?
I don't want to pay an extra $10 per month, the Galaxy S is slightly smaller and a lot lighter, it has a better screen, it's faster, and it has internal storage. The Evo is a great phone but it just isn't for me.

I don't want to pay an extra $10 per month, the Galaxy S is slightly smaller and a lot lighter, it has a better screen, it's faster, and it has internal storage. The Evo is a great phone but it just isn't for me.

I wouldn't be so sure you're going to avoid that $10 a month.
I think it's safe to assume that it's a $10 4G tax that you can't get rid of regardless if you use 4G or not.

5.5 ounce on the Epic
6.0 ounce on the Evo

I wouldn't say it's "a lot" lighter. I also wouldn't say it's smaller, because where it's smaller in length it makes up for in depth.

The Galaxy S (on Sprint) will probably cost you the $10 extra a month since it is a 4G phone.
The U.S. models also may not have the internal storage that the international versions have.
I'll be picking up either the Epic 4G or the Evo 4G when they're both available for me to hold/compare.

5.5 ounce on the Epic
6.0 ounce on the Evo

I wouldn't say it's "a lot" lighter. I also wouldn't say it's smaller, because where it's smaller in length it makes up for in depth.
I was comparing the Galaxy S (i.e. Vibrant) to the Evo....the Epic is a lot heavier than the Vibrant.

Also note... the iPhone 4 was moronically (as usual) proclaimed the thinnest smartphone in the world. Maybe at release??? The Vibrant obviously gives it a good running, as will the Droid X.

Droid x is NO WHERE near as thin as the iphone4

I'll also be picking up Epic or EVO when they're both available. I held an EVO at BB and it's huge, not really that thick but long.... it would be a pain in the butt to carry around. I like the Epic better as far as specs and aesthetics are concerned so I am leaning towards Samsung.

The Galaxy S (on Sprint) will probably cost you the $10 extra a month since it is a 4G phone.
The U.S. models also may not have the internal storage that the international versions have.
I'll be picking up either the Epic 4G or the Evo 4G when they're both available for me to hold/compare.

Both At&t's Captivate and T-Mobile's Vibrant comes with 16gb on board storage plus micro sd card (well, the Vibrant does anyways).

Both At&t's Captivate and T-Mobile's Vibrant comes with 16gb on board storage plus micro sd card (well, the Vibrant does anyways).

Which is awesome. To get to 32GB total, it'll only run you about $20 for a 16GB SD card (versus the $100 upgrade on the iPhone).

Size isn't the issue. It's the SAMOLED screen and the cpu/gpu. That's where the Galaxy S is leading right now.

Yes, it looks like the Sprint and Verizon versions have less onboard memory. Verizon is 2gb, and i've read Sprint's is also only 2gb onboard.. Whereas the Tmo and AT&T versions come with 16gb on board. All of this is subject to change, but that's what it appears from all the various press releases and preview/reviews.

I've also read that the Verizon model has an LED flash w/ the thin form-factor. That's pretty great since that was one of the big detractors of the original galaxy s overseas.

Yes, it looks like the Sprint and Verizon versions have less onboard memory. Verizon is 2gb, and i've read Sprint's is also only 2gb onboard.. Whereas the Tmo and AT&T versions come with 16gb on board. All of this is subject to change, but that's what it appears from all the various press releases and preview/reviews.
The Vibrant is already up as "Coming Soon" on TMo's website... I'd say the 16GB is official.

Samsung held their event last night. So that will solidify anything that came out before that.

The Verizon device will also ship with a 16GB card, too. Not as nice as having 16GB on board (and being to add even more externally), but it's not a huge deal. Not sure if the TMo ships with one. My guess is no.

I've also read that the Verizon model has an LED flash w/ the thin form-factor. That's pretty great since that was one of the big detractors of the original galaxy s overseas.
I'll count the times I've needed flash... 0.
LOL. I don't understand why that's a huge issue for some people. I realize everyone uses their phone differently, but if I'm going to be taking pictures on purpose, I'll use a real camera. Phone cameras are just good in a pinch... Not saying them excluding a flash isn't stupid (IDK why you'd exclude it), just not a huge selling point.

Has anyone caught wind of availability of any of the Galaxy S' on any network for that matter. I want to jump from AT&T!

Has anyone caught wind of availability of any of the Galaxy S' on any network for that matter. I want to jump from AT&T!

They'll all be launching here in a month or two.
TMobile seems to be the only carrier that has set a date (July 21).

They'll all be launching here in a month or two.
TMobile seems to be the only carrier that has set a date (July 21).

Hmm, thats 4 days before my contract ends. The question is, can I resist the urge to get an EVO in the meantime?

I'll count the times I've needed flash... 0.
LOL. I don't understand why that's a huge issue for some people. I realize everyone uses their phone differently, but if I'm going to be taking pictures on purpose, I'll use a real camera. Phone cameras are just good in a pinch... Not saying them excluding a flash isn't stupid (IDK why you'd exclude it), just not a huge selling point.

I rarely use the flash with my Droids camera too. But I'll tell you that I use it almost on a daily basis as a flashlight with the MotoTorch widget. It actually makes a decent flashlight and gets super bright, heh. I prolly won't consider a phone without a LED flash now just for this functionality since I use it so much.

I'm sticking with the Evo. I had the HTC Touch Pro and while the keyboard was okay, it made the phone quite thick and there were always weird glitches when opening the keyboard and the screen switched to landscape.

What I do wish the Evo has was that processor. It's 45nm as opposes 65 on the Evo (i think) which will be much better on battery life at the same processor speed if not more speedy. And the phone also probably wont be frame rate limited like the Evo and won't be bogged down by Sense.

Bottom line is I like the slate feel of my Evo. I'm satisfied with it, and once 2.2 comes out I won't even care about the Epic. I'm sure engadget will do a comparison soon and I am curious if the camera or 720p video recording looks any better. Basically the only thing interesting me as far as that phone for a is the screen and processor, but not enough to want to switch to it. It's not a big enough improvement over the Evo and new Android phones are, and are going to be coming out like crazy always and they will all be a little bit better everytime. Next time I upgrade to a new phone it'll probably have a 2ghz+ processor with Android 3.0+...

And also, my dad has a Samsung Moment on Sprint and it took his phone to get 2.1 after like 6 months or something so Idk about Samsung and their updates...

Does anyone know the price plans for Verizon? I'm thinking about making the jump from Sprint to get the non keyboard Epic.

This phone looks like it's going to be amazing. I wish they'd announce a release date!

you do not buy a slider style phone and expect it to be super thin? It will be thicker than a slate phone.

you do not buy a slider style phone and expect it to be super thin? It will be thicker than a slate phone.
Which is why I'm wanting the non slider Vibrant version. Other CDMA carriers around the world are getting it.

Which is why I'm wanting the non slider Vibrant version. Other CDMA carriers around the world are getting it.

Non-slider CDMA is the Fascinate on Verizon.

Otherwise you've got the Captivate (ATT) and Vibrant (T-Mobile).

Non-slider CDMA is the Fascinate on Verizon.

Otherwise you've got the Captivate (ATT) and Vibrant (T-Mobile).
Canada is getting the Vibrant on one of their CDMA networks. Theirs is getting a front facing camera and a flash though. I'll give Apple credit in one department, they realized that people want thin and attractive devices....I wish everyone else would take note of that and stop giving us bricks.

Canada is getting the Vibrant on one of their CDMA networks. Theirs is getting a front facing camera and a flash though. I'll give Apple credit in one department, they realized that people want thin and attractive devices....I wish everyone else would take note of that and stop giving us bricks.

What's not to like about the Galaxy S?
It's roughly the same size as the iPhone 4 (less than a mm difference in thickness), and lighter.

Edit- I will admit the Vibrant variation looks too freaking much like an iPhone though. I like the Captivate's design better.

What's not to like about the Galaxy S?
It's roughly the same size as the iPhone 4 (less than a mm difference in thickness), and lighter.

Edit- I will admit the Vibrant variation looks too freaking much like an iPhone though. I like the Captivate's design better.
I love the Galaxy S Vibrant.....it was the phone that was going to get me to finally drop my iPhone and go to Sprint from Tmobile. Any of the other variants would do fine too with the exception of the Epic (the only Galaxy S offered on Sprint) it will simply be too big. If they offered a slimmer non slider version of the Epic I'd be at a Sprint store in the next 10 minutes.

I love the Galaxy S Vibrant.....it was the phone that was going to get me to finally drop my iPhone and go to Sprint from Tmobile.
I assume this is a typo? Cuz the Vibrant is a TMobile phone.

I assume this is a typo? Cuz the Vibrant is a TMobile phone.
I know it's a TMobile phone which is my dilema...I want it on Sprint. Sprint's plans are more attractive to me and I want to ditch TMobile.

I know it's a TMobile phone which is my dilema...I want it on Sprint. Sprint's plans are more attractive to me and I want to ditch TMobile.

How are they more attractive?
$80 on Sprint versus $60 on TMobile...

How are they more attractive?
$80 on Sprint versus $60 on TMobile...
A family plan with Tmobile is $139.99 a month, Sprint is $129.99 a month and Sprint has better upgrade plans, better coverage in my area, free mobile to mobile over any network, night minutes that start 2 hours earlier, better weekend minutes, and GPS. Looking at the two side by side Sprint simply has the better plan options for me.

A family plan with Tmobile is $139.99 a month, Sprint is $129.99 a month and Sprint has better upgrade plans, better coverage in my area, free mobile to mobile over any network, night minutes that start 2 hours earlier, better weekend minutes, and GPS. Looking at the two side by side Sprint simply has the better plan options for me.

If you've got unlimited minutes I hardly see what nighttime or mobile to mobile minutes matter (I'm assuming that's the plan you're looking at, judging by price).
I don't know how many lines you have, but add two on Sprint for $20 or two on T-Mobile for $10... Cost differences go away.
Add on $10 more a month per line that needs it for Sprint's 4G tax, too.

Now, if coverage is better, that's fine. Just wanted to clear that up.

And the Vibrant still has GPS, BTW.

If you've got unlimited minutes I hardly see what nighttime or mobile to mobile minutes matter (I'm assuming that's the plan you're looking at, judging by price).
I don't know how many lines you have, but add two on Sprint for $20 or two on T-Mobile for $10... Cost differences go away.
Add on $10 more a month per line that needs it for Sprint's 4G tax, too.

Now, if coverage is better, that's fine. Just wanted to clear that up.

And the Vibrant still has GPS, BTW.
Here are the plans and totals from both websites....as far as I can tell Tmobile doesn't have GPS services.

Tmobile:
2 phones
750 minutes
Unlimited Text
Unlimited Data
$139 + $70 setup fees

Sprint:
2 phones
1500 minutes
Unlimited Text
Unlimited Data

$129 - no setup fees + $10 for 4G