Samsung Employee Stole 8,474 Smartphones to Pay $800,000 Gambling Debt

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
A Samsung worker took advantage of his disability to steal thousands of phones so he could pay off a gambling debt. While employees are normally required to go through a body scanner before leaving the office, Mr. Lee was allowed to skip the security check since he was bound to an electronic wheelchair. He returned the courtesy by stealing 8,474 smartphones and selling them to a second-hand phone retailer for 800 million won (US$711,743).

The man, surnamed Lee, stole the phones for developers between December 2014 and November 2016 at the Samsung headquarters in Suwon, Gyeonggi Province. He sold the phones to a second-hand phone retailer for 800 million won (US$711,743). Lee joined Samsung in 2010 when the Korean tech giant offered jobs for people with disabilities and worked for the maintenance of old phones that are used by developers to study upgrades or new features. All Samsung employees are required to go through a body scanner before leaving the office but Lee bound in an electronic wheelchair was allowed to skip the security check.

And people wonder why factories and warehouses are so strict with their employees.

$700k gambling debt? Yikes! Article doesn't say how he got caught, I thought MFGs kept track of IMEIs etc.

You know if I owed that much money I'd probably be looking into crime to pay it off too. I'm thinking more along the lines of bank robbery though. Of course I did just watch Heat again last night... that didn't end well for most of them.

But yeah hiding phones in your wheelchair is a lot better than shoving them up the glory hole. Those 5" screens on the Galaxy phones are not colon friendly.

A Samsung worker took advantage of his disability to steal thousands of phones so he could pay off a gambling debt. While employees are normally required to go through a body scanner before leaving the office, Mr. Lee was allowed to skip the security check since he was bound to an electronic wheelchair. He returned the courtesy by stealing 8,474 smartphones and selling them to a second-hand phone retailer for 800 million won (US$711,743).

The man, surnamed Lee, stole the phones for developers between December 2014 and November 2016 at the Samsung headquarters in Suwon, Gyeonggi Province. He sold the phones to a second-hand phone retailer for 800 million won (US$711,743). Lee joined Samsung in 2010 when the Korean tech giant offered jobs for people with disabilities and worked for the maintenance of old phones that are used by developers to study upgrades or new features. All Samsung employees are required to go through a body scanner before leaving the office but Lee bound in an electronic wheelchair was allowed to skip the security check.

Well considering he's already in a wheel chair, he's f'd

http://www.cnn.com/2016/06/23/asia/china-organ-harvesting/index.html

Poor guy didn't even get to pay off his total debt....he was a 100k short. That sucks, not only will he be out of a job he will still have that gambling debt.

Poor guy didn't even get to pay off his total debt....he was a 100k short. That sucks, not only will he be out of a job he will still have that gambling debt.
One has to wonder how an average person accumulates nearly a billion won in debt. I'd think there'd be a cut off point, where they quit extending you credit. Although, that may be how he ended up in the wheelchair to begin with.

That is an insane amount of phones, props to the thief for stealing that kind of volume, bound to a wheelchair no less! If he worked for 2 years straight, 5 days a week, he would have had to steal 17 phones a day. Never really understood the appeal of gambling, my anxiety and understanding of odds prevents me from any type of enjoyment, no matter how small the sum risked.

You know if I owed that much money I'd probably be looking into crime to pay it off too. I'm thinking more along the lines of bank robbery though. Of course I did just watch Heat again last night... that didn't end well for most of them.

Love that movie!

Story would of been so much better had he stole the phones to buy bitcoin :)

That is an insane amount of phones, props to the thief for stealing that kind of volume, bound to a wheelchair no less! If he worked for 2 years straight, 5 days a week, he would have had to steal 17 phones a day. Never really understood the appeal of gambling, my anxiety and understanding of odds prevents me from any type of enjoyment, no matter how small the sum risked.

Love that movie!
I suppose he didn't smuggle them out of the building up his anus like the rest of us would need to.. Or perhaps that's why he can't walk?

And nobdy noticed that phones just kept disappearing? I mean 1 or 2 I might buy. HEll even 10 in an extended period of time, but close to ten fucking thousand?

I say they have bigger problems than employee security if they didn't notice thousands of missing phones.

Well its possible they did notice but it just took that long to catch the guy red handed?

Back