Samsung Electronics to Replace Plastic Packaging with Sustainable Materials

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Samsung has proudly announced the company will replace plastic packaging materials with environmentally sustainable alternatives such as recycled/bio-based plastics and paper. Holder trays for mobile phones and tablets will now comprise pulp molds; even the glossy exterior of chargers will be made matte to reduce the use of plastics. “By 2030, Samsung aims to use 500 thousand tons of recycled plastics and collect 7.5 million tons of discarded products”

“Samsung Electronics is stepping up in addressing society’s environmental issues such as resource depletion and plastic wastes,” said Gyeong-bin Jeon, head of Samsung’s Global Customer Satisfaction Center. “We are committed to recycling resources and minimizing pollution coming from our products. We will adopt more environmentally sustainable materials even if it means an increase in cost.”

Since any cost increases are passed on the consumer, it's not a big sacrifice. They are hoping that the increased sales due to this new policy will offset any losses caused by the increased prices. Otherwise they wouldn't be doing it.

Since any cost increases are passed on the consumer, it's not a big sacrifice. They are hoping that the increased sales due to this new policy will offset any losses caused by the increased prices. Otherwise they wouldn't be doing it.

It would be interesting if this is a result of the climate accord. Samsung finding it cost more to have plastic packing material due to increased taxes / scrutiny than spending a little extra for env friendly packing

It would be interesting if this is a result of the climate accord. Samsung finding it cost more to have plastic packing material due to increased taxes / scrutiny than spending a little extra for env friendly packing

While I'm not a massive envornimentalist but I do tend to like companies that package things without too much plastic and extra packaging.
so even without taxes and alike: yes it does.

While I'm not a massive envornimentalist but I do tend to like companies that package things without too much plastic and extra packaging.
so even without taxes and alike: yes it does.

Same. I can't think of too many reasons for companies not to use more environmentally friendly packaging for their products. It is, after all, something that most people will just immediately throw away anyway.

This is amusing to me. We all ASSUME plastics are bad for the environment and paper is good. Plastics are just as recyclable as pulp is. But that aside recycling itself can actually be worse for the environment. Why? Most companies only take into consideration the recycling of the material itself not the total cost to recycle the material or any net change in energy required to manufacture it. Take stryofoam cups vs a pottery cup. A pottery cup is a lot more energy intensive to make, transport, and clean over its lifetime than a single styrofoam cup.

The other argument I often hear is that we will run out of room for all the garbage. Thats a bit misleading as well...nationally there are about 60 years of capacity IN EXISTING facilities alone (the majority of our trash goes to the landfill).

So while I am not against recycling per se I just have to get a laugh when people say "environmentally friendly". Especially when theres greater than a 60% chance that pulp packaging is going to end up in a landfill anyway...

Reactions: PaulP
like this
Having watched the paper vs plastic argument switch answers several times depending on which goals were in vogue when the question was asked, not sure this will really make much difference. IMO, use the materials that best protect the product for the lest amount of material used. Do phones really need a full box containing a plastic clam shell containing a plastic bag with a phone with protective wrap on the screen? Thought these things were supposed to be drop resistant, scratch proof, water resistant etc. Yet they are packed like they are some kind of delicate thing. Play to your advertising. Put the whole kit in a simple padded envelope and be done.

To be honest this can only be good.
One thing about this is if they get a lot of advertising about this and exposure, people will be more aware they can recycle the boxes etc and may actually do so.

As opposed to those LOL surprise doll piles of shit. Holy crap have you seen how much plastic is in them. Plastic crap wrapped in other plastic crap.

This is amusing to me. We all ASSUME plastics are bad for the environment and paper is good. Plastics are just as recyclable as pulp is. But that aside recycling itself can actually be worse for the environment. Why? Most companies only take into consideration the recycling of the material itself not the total cost to recycle the material or any net change in energy required to manufacture it. Take stryofoam cups vs a pottery cup. A pottery cup is a lot more energy intensive to make, transport, and clean over its lifetime than a single styrofoam cup.

The other argument I often hear is that we will run out of room for all the garbage. Thats a bit misleading as well...nationally there are about 60 years of capacity IN EXISTING facilities alone (the majority of our trash goes to the landfill).

So while I am not against recycling per se I just have to get a laugh when people say "environmentally friendly". Especially when theres greater than a 60% chance that pulp packaging is going to end up in a landfill anyway...

Paper products can be recycled, aren't a limited resource, and quickly decompose comparatively to plastic products.

Paper products can be recycled, aren't a limited resource, and quickly decompose comparatively to plastic products.

No shit? When did I say paper was less recyclable? I said its funny how people tout this as "good" for the environment when they are just going to throw it all away anyway and how most people dont understand that recycling can actually be harmful...

You need to consider the case that most will not recycle. Plastic does not biodegrade. If this new packing material will then hopefully people will compost it. Though I know even less.compost than recycle so it will likely decompose w/o oxygen which releases greenhouse gases

You need to consider the case that most will not recycle. Plastic does not biodegrade. If this new packing material will then hopefully people will compost it. Though I know even less.compost than recycle so it will likely decompose w/o oxygen which releases greenhouse gases

Exactly! So the new packing material will biodegrade releasing even more greenhouse gasses. That was part of my point: this could actually end up being WORSE for the environment - not biodegradable cant be a benefit in that it only takes up space. Plus it provides future jobs for plastic miners (j/k..mostly). We just dont do a good job at waste management period. We never consider the full lifecycle of the product and its impact at every step. We never take into account how few people will recycle something we say is recyclable.

I have two defective Samsung displays and one dead Samsung phone they can have to melt down into some nice, flesh ripping bubble packaging.

Plastic is sustainable, retardation .

Thanks to the vast polyethylene and polyvinyl fields in the nothern states and Canada. Bless our plastic farmers.

Last edited:
I suppose it depends on whether it gives the same level of protection to the product inside. not environmentally friendly if half your products are damaged before they reach the customer, so I assume they'll have done the necessary testing.

Now make all your phones have replaceable batteries and stock the batteries for ten years, so people don't have to replace the phones every two years when the battery starts crapping out.

Reactions: PaulP
like this
Back