Samsung Display to close LCD business

Marees

[H]ard|Gawd
Samsung Display will no longer produce LCDs used for large TV screens and focus instead on manufacturing organic light-emitting diode (OLED) and quantum dot (QD) displays.

The decision by the display affiliate of Samsung Group came six months sooner than expected, due in large part to rapid losses from falling LCD prices.

The display affiliate initially sought to close its LCD business in late 2020, but the plan was delayed at the request of its parent company, Samsung Electronics, due to a sudden spike in LCD prices amid the COVID-19 pandemic.

https://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/tech/2022/05/419_330008.html

Samsung Display will no longer produce LCDs used for large TV screens and focus instead on manufacturing organic light-emitting diode (OLED) and quantum dot (QD) displays.

The decision by the display affiliate of Samsung Group came six months sooner than expected, due in large part to rapid losses from falling LCD prices.

The display affiliate initially sought to close its LCD business in late 2020, but the plan was delayed at the request of its parent company, Samsung Electronics, due to a sudden spike in LCD prices amid the COVID-19 pandemic.

Hopefully this means OLED prices will be coming down.

Hopefully this means OLED prices will be coming down.
Over time. The whole point of this move is to keep a thicker ROI, while more or less ceding LCD’s to Chinese manufacturers where margins are razor thin (TCL now sells 55” 4K TVs at Costco for $250…. crazy).

I wouldn’t expect to see a dramatic drop quickly. The investment capital in OLED is high. And while competition and mass production will drive prices down, it is still going to be years before we can buy an OLED desktop display for below $1000.

Last edited:
Agreed, but the headline is misleading.......I guess all this is saying is that Samsung is getting out of the non Quantum Dot LCD business (meaning no more cheap non-QD back or edge lit LCD's) , because Quantum Dot LCD's are still LCD's.....they just have an added layer on the panel that does some magic to make colors pop and chicks dig you or something...<shrug>.

Agreed, but the headline is misleading.......I guess all this is saying is that Samsung is getting out of the non Quantum Dot LCD business (meaning no more cheap non-QD back or edge lit LCD's) , because Quantum Dot LCD's are still LCD's.....they just have an added layer on the panel that does some magic to make colors pop and chicks dig you or something...<shrug>.
micro LED are just round the corner, these will be single pixel with an OLED element.
No LCD.

Peter Gibbons:
What would you do if you had a million dollars?

Lawrence:
I'll tell you what I'd do, man, watch two OLED’s at the same time, man.

Peter Gibbons:
That's it? If you had a million dollars, you'd watch two OLED’s at the same time?

Lawrence:
Damn straight. I always wanted to do that, man. And I think if I had a million dollars I could hook that up, cause OLED’s dig a dude with money.

https://hardforum.com/threads/samsu...duction-focuses-on-quantum-dot-oleds.1994741/

Uh.......isn't Quantum Dot just another layer on top of an existing LCD Panel?
It can be but no, Quantum Dots are little structures that can basically convert the frequency of light. You hit them with light of one frequency and they'll change it to another based off their size. So they are being used in Samsung's OLEDs to handle red and green colors.

LGs OLEDs work kinda like LCDs in that they are white OLED emitters which then pass through color filters to filter them in to red, green and blue (they also have a clear filter for a white subpixel). This has the disadvantage in that filters block light and so reduce output. Samsung instead uses blue OLEDs which then shine in to quantum dots that change the color of the light. More efficient so more light output.

Also quantum dots don't have to get their energy for light from other light, it is possible they could use electrons directly which would be yet more efficient. Kind of a similar idea to SED.

It can be but no, Quantum Dots are little structures that can basically convert the frequency of light. You hit them with light of one frequency and they'll change it to another based off their size. So they are being used in Samsung's OLEDs to handle red and green colors.

LGs OLEDs work kinda like LCDs in that they are white OLED emitters which then pass through color filters to filter them in to red, green and blue (they also have a clear filter for a white subpixel). This has the disadvantage in that filters block light and so reduce output. Samsung instead uses blue OLEDs which then shine in to quantum dots that change the color of the light. More efficient so more light output.

Also quantum dots don't have to get their energy for light from other light, it is possible they could use electrons directly which would be yet more efficient. Kind of a similar idea to SED.
Re: LEG OLED

Also... any light blocked by an LG OLED filter is turned into heat.
When a white pixel only displays 1/3 of the colour spectrum (ie Red or Green or Blue approx), 2/3 of the power fed to it is converted to heat.
Thats one hell of a power waste and and that heat helps ruin the lifespan of the pixel cell and its neighbours.
Samsungs QD method has many advantages.

Re: LEG OLED

Also... any light blocked by an LG OLED filter is turned into heat.
When a white pixel only displays 1/3 of the colour spectrum (ie Red or Green or Blue approx), 2/3 of the power fed to it is converted to heat.
Thats one hell of a power waste and and that heat helps ruin the lifespan of the pixel cell and its neighbours.
Samsungs QD method has many advantages.

Though it should be noted it is still less efficient than LCDs overall. That is part of the issue OLEDs have with brightness is heat dissipation, including QD OLED. LCDs with inorganic LED backlights can get brighter with a given level of power input and heat output than OLEDs at the moment, despite the losses to the color filters and polarizers.

Though it should be noted it is still less efficient than LCDs overall. That is part of the issue OLEDs have with brightness is heat dissipation, including QD OLED. LCDs with inorganic LED backlights can get brighter with a given level of power input and heat output than OLEDs at the moment, despite the losses to the color filters and polarizers.
Interesting.
Do you have any published info on this please?

Are waterblocks helpful for OLEDs or do you just need a lot of forced air or what?

Are waterblocks helpful for OLEDs or do you just need a lot of forced air or what?
I would presume that a waterblock solution could work well, but I don't know. Cost, complexity, and other such things seem to have most OLEDs with nothing, some of the new high end ones with a heatsink/spreader and maybe a fan.

Back