Samsung Debuts World’s First Cinema LED Display

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Samsung has installed its first-ever commercial Cinema LED Screen at Lotte Cinema World Tower in Korea: it’s a 33.8ft-wide display offering 4K resolution (4,096 x 2,160) and HDR. The implication is that projection may soon be replaced with such screens, but I get the feeling that these setups are significantly more expensive than even laser projection. I would love to see an OLED version of this, however.

Stretching nearly 10.3m (33.8ft) wide in size, the Cinema LED Screen accommodates a variety of theater configurations while ensuring superior levels of technical performance, reliability and quality. The display brings the visual power of HDR picture quality to the big screen, and enlivens content with both ultra-sharp 4K resolution (4,096 x 2,160) and peak brightness levels (146fL) nearly 10 times greater than that offered by standard projector technologies. Additionally, the Cinema LED Screen’s futuristic, distortion-free presentation leverages ultra-contrast and low-tone grayscale settings to showcase the brightest colors, deepest blacks and most pristine whites at a nearly infinite contrast ratio.

Last edited:
Samsung has installed its first-ever commercial Cinema LED Screen at Lotte Cinema World Tower in Korea: it’s a 33.8ft-wide display offering 4K resolution (4,096 x 2,160) and HDR. The implication is that projection may soon be replaced with such screens, but I get the feeling that these setups are significantly more expensive than even laser projection. I would love to see an OLED version of this, however.

Stretching nearly 10.3m (33.8ft) wide in size, the Cinema LED Screen accommodates a variety of theater configurations while ensuring superior levels of technical performance, reliability and quality. The display brings the visual power of HDR picture quality to the big screen, and enlivens content with both ultra-sharp 4K resolution (4,096 x 2,160) and peak brightness levels (146fL) nearly 10 times greater than that offered by standard projector technologies. Additionally, the Cinema LED Screen’s futuristic, distortion-free presentation leverages ultra-contrast and low-tone grayscale settings to showcase the brightest colors, deepest blacks and most pristine whites at a nearly infinite contrast ratio.

Doesn't even mention if it supports FreeSync or GSync, c'mon Samsung, what kind of gaming monitor is this?

True Film > Laser Projection > 3 LCD Projection > LCD > 3 DLP Projection

It's all about the contrast and gamut color space.

But the digital formats are awesome for cheap portability. Real film degrades and cost a lot to ship.

First time I saw DLP I was so excited. (Star Wars Phantom Menace) I left largely unimpressed. The colors were washed, and image blurry.

Yes, it says that in the article, read next time!
Thanks I missed that part apparently

upload_2017-7-13_13-58-1.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-7-13_13-57-51.png
    upload_2017-7-13_13-57-51.png
    102.9 KB · Views: 23
The link is broken, too.

I can't wait to see doom run on this display.

Oh man. Imagine being one of the employees at that cinema...

Loud Speaker: You'll be unable to watch Spider-Man: Homecoming during your 10:50 showing. Due to screen maintenance
Loud Speaker: That's it. Maintenance. Hey Gun Ho, fire up the tentacles and Doom!
Loud Speaker: What?
Loud Speaker: Is this thing still on?
Loud Speaker: 아, 씨발! [Ah, Shit]

*Loud speaker whistles and turns off*

Specs please Samsung
G2G response time
Full ON Full OFF response time
Native refresh rate ?

And is it in fact an LED screen, as in LED's make up the pixels that display the image ?

But the digital formats are awesome for cheap portability. Real film degrades and cost a lot to ship.
First time I saw DLP I was so excited. (Star Wars Phantom Menace) I left largely unimpressed. The colors were washed, and image blurry.

Film was better if you went to an early screening, but they dust and scratches quickly degraded the print, as I recall. I've definitely seen out of focus Digital, but I saw out of focus film too.
With 4K, I find that it's about as good as film from a resolution POV. When it was 1080, they got away with it for most images, but any diagonal lines in a relatively static scene had issues with aliasing. I also remember going to see Reign Over Me (Sandler and Cheadle) years ago on a smaller theater screen and I felt like I was watching a TV (must've been lower than 1080p resolution).

Is this an actual LED screen or LED backlit? One downside to an LED screen is that when an LED goes out, you're probably going to notice it if it's a bright scene. U2 has an 8K LED screen on this tour and it looks spectacular, but it also had LEDs going out here and there not long after the tour started. But maybe that's only an issue because they're moving it to a new city every other day.

Is this an actual LED screen or LED backlit? One downside to an LED screen is that when an LED goes out, you're probably going to notice it if it's a bright scene. U2 has an 8K LED screen on this tour and it looks spectacular, but it also had LEDs going out here and there not long after the tour started. But maybe that's only an issue because they're moving it to a new city every other day.

Actual LEDs, the screen is large enough where the size of the LEDs dont matter. And this is a tiled screen, if an LED goes out, you can replace a smaller panel rather than replacing the entire screen.

Why does the author want OLED when these are using LEDs aleady? This isnt a consumer screen, it's large enough that the size limitations of LEDs don't interfere with producing a great looking picture.

Reactions: blkt
like this
It mentions gaming competitions, be interesting playing a game on that thing :)
I suspect it'd be used to show the competitions, but the players are going to use their own monitor (possibly in another location)

Why does the author want OLED when these are using LEDs aleady? This isnt a consumer screen, it's large enough that the size limitations of LEDs don't interfere with producing a great looking picture.
Some people enjoy limited brightness/color/grayscale accuracy, screen uniformity issues, motion blur, image retention and uneven color fade. ;)

Some people enjoy limited brightness/color/grayscale accuracy, screen uniformity issues, motion blur, image retention and uneven color fade. ;)
Oled is still way ahead of lcd in the home space though

This one wonders, what is the pixel density? Could Samsung not do better?

At over 10 meters wise could it not be 40k instead of 4k? (Yes, yes... multiple technical difficulties, still.....)

Oled is still way ahead of lcd in the home space though
Yes, in a completely dark room and for a limited time only! My first reply was about LED vs OLED, not about anything LCD related. Don't get me wrong, I will be on the OLED bandwagon as soon as the above issues are resolved.

All well and good... until Samsung screws it all up with their next POS firmware update. :meh:

I just saw the screen. Pretty nice when sitting directly in front. When I sat slightly left or right of the screen, the colors were way washed out. Smh.

I just saw the screen. Pretty nice when sitting directly in front. When I sat slightly left or right of the screen, the colors were way washed out. Smh.

I don't think that will work very well unless they discount the off-of-center seats 50% and even then ...

Just wait until somebody throws something at the screen and cracks it :eek:

Screen made from LED's.

So you can parse what the words mean, but what is this technology? Have we seen it used before?

It it analogous to the 'LED' billboards and end-zone displays that we currently see, just higher-resolution and tuned for high contrast?

Or is it something else, something new?

The article really doesn't say.

So you can parse what the words mean, but what is this technology? Have we seen it used before?

It it analogous to the 'LED' billboards and end-zone displays that we currently see, just higher-resolution and tuned for high contrast?

Or is it something else, something new?

The article really doesn't say.

It appears to be an LCD screen with an LED behind each pixel.

And that... doesn't make a lot of sense. Or does it?

If that's true, then it's likely very effective when properly tuned; actually likely to be more effective than a contemporary OLED panel.

Well, there is a risk that people will think this will be just like sitting at home but with a lot of other annoying people. True, that is already happening. But if the screen tech is the same, only bigger at farther distance, then there is one more argument to stay at home. The theater experience has never been about perfect fidelity for those who go there. What is left is enthusiasts and people that cannot have a good set-up at home.

Well, there is a risk that people will think this will be just like sitting at home but with a lot of other annoying people. True, that is already happening. But if the screen tech is the same, only bigger at farther distance, then there is one more argument to stay at home. The theater experience has never been about perfect fidelity for those who go there. What is left is enthusiasts and people that cannot have a good set-up at home.

Living in an apartment, if I set up the closest consumer equivalent of the local Dolby theaters I frequent, I'd be evicted right quick at a minimum...

And I could go to the theater to see new releases for years on end for what I spent building that system at home, even including food and prime-time pricing.

That's not to say that I don't have a decent home setup or wouldn't mind a better one- but theater will have it's place.

Boy, you set yourself up for disappointment on that one. The Phantom Menace was shot digital at 1080p. NOT, scaled down from film or higher resolution digital like most films.
It would have been a much better movie visually if it was shot on real film and then down converted digitally.

And if you watched it on a DLP projector around the time of the films release to video it is doubtful that the projector was actually capable of real 1080p output. Consumer projectors that did real 1080p at this time were very expensive. You can pick on up now for less than $500.

Boy, you set yourself up for disappointment on that one. The Phantom Menace was shot digital at 1080p. NOT, scaled down from film or higher resolution digital like most films.
It would have been a much better movie visually if it was shot on real film and then down converted digitally.

And if you watched it on a DLP projector around the time of the films release to video it is doubtful that the projector was actually capable of real 1080p output. Consumer projectors that did real 1080p at this time were very expensive. You can pick on up now for less than $500.

It was in a digital theater. One of the first.

Back