Samsung debuts LPDDR5 + UFS NAND on a single package

NattyKathy

[H]ard|Gawd
Sauce
Ok, so this isn't relevant directly to [H] PCs, but sharing because I think the tech is neat. They're claiming up to 25GB/s on the LPDDR5 and up to 3GB/s(!) on the NAND which is pretty impressive for a single package. Obvs this kind of integration isn't coming to (nor is needed by) desktop PCs, but it's a neat development for the smartphone world. Fewer packages = smaller PCB = more space for battery (at least in theory)

(edit to add photo)

Samsung-LPDDR5-uMCP-image-01-1-e1623746538430.jpg

Last edited:
or better gpus like the amd one that was licensed to samsung. hopefully its not another vega variant but this would be sick have nvme speeds on smartphone with a gpu capable of real desktop performance. still remeber my old $700 asus android tablet transfering between sd/root storage at around 1-3 mbs, single movie would take about 24 mins lol.

or better gpus like the amd one that was licensed to samsung. hopefully its not another vega variant but this would be sick have nvme speeds on smartphone with a gpu capable of real desktop performance. still remeber my old $700 asus android tablet transfering between sd/root storage at around 1-3 mbs, single movie would take about 24 mins lol.
Good news is the Sammy x AMD GPUs are confirmed to be "Next-Gen"- dunno what that means but not Vega, probably Navi2 or Navi3 (link to old Anandtech article on the matter)
I agree on the storage- eMMC was/is garbage but UFS seems to be gaining more and more traction.

Samsung trying to get their own version of Intel's Optane DC into the market?

Samsung trying to get their own version of Intel's Optane DC into the market?
Looks like a different sort of product to me... doesn't seem to be treating the NAND as DRAM or the DRAM as NAND, it's just combing the two inside one package but on separate dies with separate data pins and from the standpoint of the SoC it will still appear as two discrete devices like normal.

Looks like a different sort of product to me... doesn't seem to be treating the NAND as DRAM or the DRAM as NAND, it's just combing the two inside one package but on separate dies with separate data pins and from the standpoint of the SoC it will still appear as two discrete devices like normal.
I was thinking that if you were to perhaps get these all packaged up on some nice DDR5 SO-DIMM format you could possibly have a situation while they are separate you could have a case where it gets much faster access from that storage to the memory, would be great working as a laptops OS boot drive or for game storage or the likes. So not exactly like Optane DC as it is all treated as the same but as a nonproprietary open option. I mean each chip only gets that 3G/ps, but how many chips would be in a laptop or a desktop that in what would essentially be a large raid 0 would be a really fast chunk of storage.

This would also greatly improve performance and functionality of SBCs like the ODROID and Raspberry Pi, along with many other embedded systems - quite exciting!

ill hold out on my S20 Ultra for a few years till this comes to a new flagship the computing power is insane. my cell phone has more mem then most labtops, and 1tb of storage is bonkers, cant wait for all this to cooked into nextgen flagships then i can turn my phone into a security cam :ROFLMAO:

So how much heat we talkin? Hand warmer, space heater, or hibachi grill?

if they keep refining the vapor chambers in cellphones its be lower then hand warmer as ddr5 is even lower voltage then ddr 4. and these are prob going be the LPDDR5 once they start tweaking process.

I was thinking that if you were to perhaps get these all packaged up on some nice DDR5 SO-DIMM format you could possibly have a situation while they are separate you could have a case where it gets much faster access from that storage to the memory, would be great working as a laptops OS boot drive or for game storage or the likes. So not exactly like Optane DC as it is all treated as the same but as a nonproprietary open option. I mean each chip only gets that 3G/ps, but how many chips would be in a laptop or a desktop that in what would essentially be a large raid 0 would be a really fast chunk of storage.
ah I see where you're going. Yes, parallelizing these would be neat and has a lot of interesting possibilities. Me, I'm imagining a future 13" laptop... APU with 8C Zen4 and 24CU+ Navi3 clocked to the moon, 8-channel memory for 200GB/s, on-SoC NAND controller connected via Infinity Fabric to bypass PCIe limits for bonkers 24GB/s storage B/W, tiny motherboard, big heatsinks, big battery. I can dream ok? :p

Yeah for sure! Boosting SBC storage bandwidth would be a big boon for a lot of users.
It would be dope, I am thinking less about the traditional SBC's like the ODroids and the Pi's and more about what NVidia is doing with their ARM offerings. An NVidia Nano or Xavier or whatnot with some of these built on would be insane.

Back