Samsung D3 Station 4TB USB 3.0 3.5" Desktop External Hard Drive - $119.00

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmm. I wonder who made the hard drive. I mean Samsung maxed out at 2TB and 666GB platters.

According to Newegg reviews, it houses a Seagate ST4000DM000 inside. I usually avoid Seagate, but this is a good price, has 3 year warranty, and I'm in desperate need of a 4TB. Thanks for the link OP!

I got this drive on newegg a couple weeks ago on the egg for $125 and I can confirm Seagate makes it. It's smaller than I thought and I think it's well worth the price, considering when it comes with a 3-year warranty. I would bite again if I need extra storage.

Not a bad price but I would rather get two 2TB drives in case one of them fails.

Pretty good price for a 4TB drive, I'm in for one. Ebay protects us for getting anything that's DOA iirc, so I'm not sure why Newegg is selling these on Ebay rather than through the normal outlet.

Either way, I realized that I desperately need some redundancy. I have way too much random crap that needs to get backed up somewhere. This is gonna be that "somewhere". Unfortunately I have like 10-12TB of random crap to back up, so maybe I'm gonna need another one of these down the line.

Thanks! Just got one. In desperate need of more storage, since I am backing up my blu-ray collection.

We are positive it has a 3 year warranty, even if taken out of the enclosure, correct?

I found out last week that I have two WD Green 1.5TB drives going bad, so I need to get the data (movie rips) off them and onto a new HDD ASAP.

I'm guessing that it keeps the warranty because it is a Seagate? I know you can pull those out and keep the warranty, unlike WD.

Wow. Nice deal. I paid 140 at microcenter for a 4tb WD Green over the weekend.

Damn....viewed it at work. Got involved in work stuff, and couldn't place order. Went back now, and it is sold out...bummer.

Would you guys trust this?

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Why are external drives always marked down so much lower than internal drives?

Why are external drives always marked down so much lower than internal drives?

More supply of externals out there. Most people are just buying external to use as a home "cloud" to share across all their devices. Less people changing internal drives.

The question is why would you bother?
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EHBEUZO/

It's like 7 or 8 bucks away from this at that point, and the risks (hello one year warranty) look like they far outweigh the small price decrease.

The real question is why are you worried about warranties on hard drives. The main concern would be DOA drives. All drives are going to fail eventually. You also compare a WD Green drive with a white label enterprise drive. That is hardly a fair comparison at all. I will take an enterprise level drive over a crappy WD Green any day of the week.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
The real question is why are you worried about warranties on hard drives. The main concern would be DOA drives. All drives are going to fail eventually. You also compare a WD Green drive with a white label enterprise drive. That is hardly a fair comparison at all. I will take an enterprise level drive over a crappy WD Green any day of the week.

Why am I worried about warranties on Hard Drives? That's probably one of the dumbest questions I've ever seen. Out of all of the parts in your computer, what's probably the most likely to fail?

Well, let's see... what's the only one that is mechanical (fans and pumps aside)?
Oh yeah.
The hard drive. I do know that hard drives are less likely to fail past their first year, per the google study, but you know that chance is far from zero, right? It's rather far from zero. This isn't like an SSD or RAM where (manufacturing defects aside) it likely works fine if it makes it past its first few days or so and passes checks.

http://static.googleusercontent.com/media/research.google.com/en/us/archive/disk_failures.pdf

Just read this. And then tell me you're not worried about years 1->3.

Not to mention the warranty is... from who? Generic? Yeah that's not sketch at all.

Why am I worried about warranties on Hard Drives? That's probably one of the dumbest questions I've ever seen. Out of all of the parts in your computer, what's probably the most likely to fail?

Well, let's see... what's the only one that is mechanical (fans and pumps aside)?
Oh yeah.
The hard drive. I do know that hard drives are less likely to fail past their first year, per the google study, but you know that chance is far from zero, right? It's rather far from zero. This isn't like an SSD or RAM where (manufacturing defects aside) it likely works fine if it makes it past its first few days or so and passes checks.

http://static.googleusercontent.com/media/research.google.com/en/us/archive/disk_failures.pdf

Just read this. And then tell me you're not worried about years 1->3.

Not to mention the warranty is... from who? Generic? Yeah that's not sketch at all.

Haha, this guy is funny. You go ahead and keep buying shitty WD Green drives then. Hope that works out for you. All hard drives fail, so you back up your shit and then you don't have to worry.

Tell me this, how many copies of your important files do you have? I am expecting only one since you are so concerned about drive warranties. Silly kid is silly.

I'm funny because you haven't failed to make a single valid counterpoint? I really hope you're just trying to troll.
Let's see, though, for fun:
1. Regardless of what you back up data on, if it fails you are out both data and a hard drive..
2. Unless you have the warranty on the drive, then you get a replacement for free.
3. I don't see any comprehensive study that reports WD Reds last significantly longer than WD Greens when used for occasional backup... (or in fact, I don't know if there's any study showing there's a difference between WD lines at all in terms of longevity)

So uh... yeah. What were you trying to say again? Like, arguing without any good arguments? Seems about standard for some people around here.

Oh, and:
4. Regardless of how many copies I have, if the drive dies the warranty is irrelevant. The copy is gone. Refer to points 1 and 2.

You sure are demonstrating your maturity well.

I do agree with runnin17 about comparing a WD Green drive with an Enterprise drive.

As for why I originally asked the question....I have now had 3 different WD Green drives fail (or start to fail) on me. Maybe it is just bad luck, maybe not...but I am personally really starting to become leery of them. I want something that is designed for a little harder load than the Green's.

That's fine, but if that's the case (ie you need a drive you're gonna use for heavy loads), I would just pay more and get it from the right source (or if WD doesn't care about who it came from warranty wise, find a brand new one on Ebay for less). My main point was simply that the warranty for HDDs is very important. They are far from fail-proof. As you should know from that pile of dead WD Green's you have. Which might be attributed to anything; personally I've never had an HDD utterly fail on me yet (except one boot drive while switching computer to SSD, which came back to life for some reason recently, so I backed it up), including an 80GB IDE relic that I still have chugging away. Seeing cases like yours I realize that I've been lucky so I got some of these as extra backup and insurance since I currently don't have much redundancy.

Anyway, I was mainly talking about for backup, where the drive is going to probably be spun down or under light loads (I'm watching anime off of it or something) a fair amount of the time. Feel free to choose whatever you need, just keep in mind this part has the highest failure rate of any part in the computer. Warranty is worth every bit of money you pay for it. Also unfortunately I don't know of any recent comprehensive HDD studies that show trends across brands and models, so you're kinda stuck with looking at ratings to determine actual reliability. This is inaccurate to say the least, but it's all you have.

Warranties for hard drives are important, but the quality of the drive is more important. Also, getting a drive that fits your needs is probably the most important thing you can do.

Warranties are NOT worth the money you pay for them if you know what you are doing. If you want to paint the doom and gloom picture then go ahead, but you are just spreading fud.

You just sound like a hard drive novice when you tout that warranty is the end all be all to hard drive quality. Just bad advice.

Alright then tell me... how are you testing "Hard Drive Quality"? How do you actually know how good the drive is? You have no proof that, according to what you're saying "picking the right hard drive means that it won't fail". I mean that's essentially what you're saying, but the Google study and plenty of reviewers have their drives die on them past year one, and this happens regardless of model. The only one that's spreading complete and utter BS here is you. There are parts that have low failure rates past when they come in, but Hard Drives are not one of them. You also have no proof that you know what you're doing. You're just trying to trivialize my advice at every turn by hurling insults with no evidence.

Also stop putting BS in my mouth. I never said it's the "end all", but buying a "supposedly WD Red" with a crappy "1 year warranty from Generic (lol)"... is a pretty risky venture. Hard Drives are prone to failure (compared to every other computer part) and are the one thing I refuse to buy used (ie without warranty) on Ebay. And I buy a lot of used stuff on Ebay, including graphics cards.

Furthermore, how would one measure their "expertise" with hard drives? So because I haven't had any really fail on me, I should be a master right? Herp derp.

Last edited:
Also stop putting BS in my mouth. I never said it's the "end all", but buying a "supposedly WD Red" with a crappy "1 year warranty from Generic (lol)"... is a pretty risky venture. Hard Drives are prone to failure (compared to every other computer part) and are the one thing I refuse to buy used (ie without warranty) on Ebay. And I buy a lot of used stuff on Ebay, including graphics cards.

Just pointing out that a review said it is a rebadged WD RE4 enterprise drive (maybe a SE), not a Red.

Just pointing out that a review said it is a rebadged WD RE4 enterprise drive (maybe a SE), not a Red.

From the review "These seem to be relabeled (Mediamax) or maybe remanufactured WD Se drives"

Two reviews and one with a huge assumption. I understand there are not that many drive makers on the planet, but without any evidence its hard to believe anything being said about this drive. Best way to check would probably involve opening it up and comparing the internals or at least the boards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back