Samsung CF791 - Quantum Dot 100Hz 3440x1440 coming late 2016

Decko87

2[H]4U

This is a VA type panel with 3000:1 contrast ratio, 4ms response time, 100hz and has freesync support via DisplayPort and HDMI. It also has a height adjustable stand and VESA mounting. The curve radius is 1500mm and has 125% sRGB color gamut.

It's nice to see something that may compete with the Acer Predator X34P on the red side. I'm waiting for Vega to launch to decide whether to get a 1070/1080 or Vega 10/11 and either the Acer or this new samsung.

EDIT: New Information, include a couple other panels and a price of $999

Edit2: Releases November 25th!

34" CF791 WQHD Monitor Monitors - LC34F791WQNXZA | Samsung US

Samsung's latest gaming monitors have curves and Quantum Dots | TechRadar

Last edited:
Definitely going for this monitor over any options from Acer/Asus. Just dont have enough faith in the quality of thier panels. Sucks that this thing has no gsync and AMD Vega wont be out till next year...

Watch the video again. Skip to the 8:00 minute mark. The CFG70 24" has AMD FreeSync, and the 27" has Gsync.

Maybe I should've been more clear. I was referring to the monitor listed in the title as the one I plan to get, the CF791. Does that monitor have gsync as well?

Definitely going for this monitor over any options from Acer/Asus. Just dont have enough faith in the quality of thier panels. Sucks that this thing has no gsync and AMD Vega wont be out till next year...
Yeah I'd even take a slightly lesser AMD card to not have to buy an ACER monitor. No coil whine or BLB for me please. I like the new LG arcline monitors but 75hz refresh rate and limited Freesync range is a big deterrent. We'll see how this one pans out. If the X34P fixes all the quality control issue then so be it, but I'm not sure it'll happen.

Maybe I should've been more clear. I was referring to the monitor listed in the title as the one I plan to get, the CF791. Does that monitor have gsync as well?
As far as I know there isn't a G-Sync version, maybe we'll know more once the product is closer to launch. Hopefully the Acer X34P resolves a lot of the issues from the prior iteration.

This does look sweet, albeit rather small - indeed 40" for this aspect ratio would be ideal. These monitors always look big in photos and videos but up close they 're rather small due to 21:9 AR. I like the fact that they emphasize how most monitors of these sizes suffer from backlight bleed and this one supposedly has minimal (and from my experience with Samsung VA panels, they are indeed pretty good in that department). Also, how cool would it be if it came at 5k resolution - one can dream...

thankfully it looks like they are also making a black version. and in matte too. can't stand white, or glossy black.

looks like it's freesync though eh? i like samsung, prolly woulda sold my x34 for this if the 34 was gsync

Hi, knowing how Samsung handles their release dates and the actual date of availability, do you think this monitor will be available late this year or earlier next year? Thank you!

Also quite interested in seeing this display. But nothing yet - no one seems to be advertising. Probably a 2017 release :(

There are some websites in Europe that say December delivery. B&H Photo in New York is taking preorders now but no delivery time frame yet.

Also quite interested in seeing this display. But nothing yet - no one seems to be advertising. Probably a 2017 release :(

At least if it comes out that late there will actually be a worthy AMD gpu to pair up with it since Vega will be out in 2017.

Wondering if I should keep B&H pre-order or cancel and go direct with Samsung^^^^^

8 bit color depth is a little disappointing, I bet the next model is 144hz HDR. Not sure if I'm gonna buy this or look for a 341ck to tide me over. This releases right around Black Friday, so we'll see. If you're gonna buy it take the 10 percent discount from Samsung, brings it down to $899.

Too bad this is super tiny.

I've owned this format before and it's H O R R I B L E for anything other than games.

Unless you like massive black bars on either side of your 20" or so window of content.

While I understand that's fine for a majority or kids, for me and others who like a lot of display space, this really needs to be 43"+

I've owned this format before and it's H O R R I B L E for anything other than games.

Unless you like massive black bars on either side of your 20" or so window of content.

While I understand that's fine for a majority or kids, for me and others who like a lot of display space, this really needs to be 43"+

Heh Heh, you're a litle more hardcore than I am. I'm hooked up to my 24 inch 1920x1200 monitor right now with my 1920x1080 laptop to do some programming. I use the same for my desktop, but I like to keep my media consumption and work separate. I'd basically just be using this for media consumption. Black bars are definitely an issue with the format as it's in its infancy, but there's also a lot of cool, more modern stuff in 21:9. I know Amazon Prime offers a lot of movies and media in 21:9 as well, so it isn't just video games. I'm still not sold on being an early adopter, I just like the idea of the aspect ratio and hopefully it gains more support as time moves forward.

While I understand that's fine for 'other people who do productivity all day as well and find it perfectly fine', for me and others 'who like a bigger screen', 'i would really prefer" it to be 43"+'

Fixed to make any sense at all and or contain even a shred of truth.

Otherwise the only thing you said that makes any sense whatsoever is that you prefer a larger screen, but not for any particular logical reason since "more space" would require a higher resolution regardless of size. So go buy a 4k TV, they do exist. Just be warned that you may have even more "black bars" showing unless you fill all that screen space up with something. Just like you can do on this 34". :ROFLMAO:

This monitor is a good middle groynd between gaming and productivity. Sure 40 inch 4k might probably be better purely for productivity since you have more space to work with overall and eventually I'm sure we will get high refresh large 4k monitors. Until then I refuse to go back to a disgusting 60hz.

Me getting this on a single GTX 980Ti seems dubious. I may have to look at this monitor's smaller and lower resolution brother but I have to say I'm mightily tantalized by this product line. It could be what the doctor ordered to hold some of us over until OLED matures and settles out.

34 inches is super tiny? LOL. It's all about viewing distance and perspective. I've been on a 24 for 7 years. 34 would have my jaw dropping. YMMV.

I find it more useful to see the display comparisons centered personally.

4k_21x9_2560x-27in-and-30in_1080p_same-ppi.jpg

I like the idea of a high rez, high hz + variable hz VA to hold me over 3 - 5 yrs until true oled gaming monitors are ubiquitous but I'd rather continue to wait for a 21:9 3440 x 1440 with dp 1.3 and 120hz or higher. 100hz isn't enough of a ceiling for me. Even if VA starts to lose it over 120, 120fps-hz is 50% blur reduction and 2:1 motion definition and pathing increase. Having a high hz ceiling can also help avoid v-sync like input lag from going over the monitor's max hz.

If I had to pick one sooner rather than waiting on 3400 x 1440 120hz+ VA (or windowed gaming resolutions on a 4k VA at 120hz+ perhaps), it would be a 27" 2560 x 1440 16:9 VA 144hz g-sync.

Which brings me to my next point - I'd like to point out to people championing 1400 high and very high resolution gaming monitors that the push toward single gpu through waning support multi gpu (of sli by nvidia in particular) and lack of inclusion by many developers in games (lazy console ports, not willing to pay hours to add it for the niche users, whatever) is not looking good for actually supplying those hz with more current frames of game world states/action on the most demanding game's graphic ceilings. The high hz benefits and blur reduction are lost unless you supply very high frame rates. A lot of people seem to feel they can use variable hz as a "fix" for running low frame rate band graphs. Technologies like g-sync will prevent screen abberations caused by fluctuating frame rates which is a good thing, but having a high hz monitor without supplying high frame rates doesn't get anything out of the high hz benefits the monitor is capable of.

100fps-hz average or so would be the lowest I'd go and even then, using variable hz would be a "vibration" blur graph all over the place
For a few examples of high demand games at 2560 x 1440 from the last year not even considering games yet to be released:
I think witcher 3 gets 82 fps-hz average on ultra on a single gtx 1080 with hairworks disabled. Far Cry Primal on very high gets 80 fps-hz average.

blur reduction/motion clarity increase 100fps-hz ave:
0% <- 20%(~80fps-hz) <-- <<40% (100fps-hz)>> -->50%(120fps-hz)->60% (144fps-hz)
and motion definition/path articulation/smoothness wise
1:1 -- 1.x:1 (~80+ f-hz) <--- << 5:3 (100fps-hz)>> --> 2:1 (120fps-hz) -> 2.4:1 (144fps-hz)

I know there are backlight strobing proponents. Perhaps running a HDR LCD monitor, which would have a really high max nit brightness, in non HDR mode with backlight strobing at a very high brightness would finally fix the dim backlight strobing mode issue in the future. The dimming of the screen in that mode at current brightness maximums is a big tradeoff to some people. Again the frame rates come into play with single gpus though as well. Once you strobe at 100hz or less you are going to cause eyestrain and annoyance to a lot of people. One strobe per frame means you'd again be struggling ever worse to keep your frame rate minimums at 100 let alone averages, on the most demanding games.

Last edited:
One of their 27" 16:9 VA gaming monitors are g-sync but yeah I don't think I'll bother with a 21:9 3440 x 1440 high one until it has variable hz that works with nvidia and isn't hobbled to 100hz by not having dp 1.3. Originally the tftcentral news said samsung and AUO were to have 165hz and 200hz dp 1.3 monitors but now it looks like those won't be out until late 2017?

I like the idea of a high rez, high hz + variable hz VA to hold me over 3 - 5 yrs until true oled gaming monitors are ubiquitous but I'd rather continue to wait for a 21:9 3440 x 1440 with dp 1.3 and 120hz or higher. 100hz isn't enough of a ceiling for me. Even if VA starts to lose it over 120, 120fps-hz is 50% blur reduction and 2:1 motion definition and pathing increase. Having a high hz ceiling can also help avoid v-sync like input lag from going over the monitor's max hz.

If I had to pick one sooner rather than waiting on 3400 x 1440 120hz+ VA (or windowed gaming resolutions on a 4k VA at 120hz+ perhaps), it would be a 27" 2560 x 1440 16:9 VA 144hz g-sync.

I actually grabbed a cheap 27 inch 144hz IPS freesync panel, 295 bucks after masterpass on newegg. So i'm pretty much in complete agreement with you, I think the specs need to improve a bit before I'm willing to plunk down a grand. But yeah, once it hits 120+ hz I'll gladly nab one for that price, but 27 inch 1440p 144hz should be okay with my fury for the time being. I basically only play Rocket League as is, and I'll likely pick up a copy of doom, but that's about it.

Get the LC34F791WQNXZA with a MassDrop for $699 right now.

Did anyone test the Freesync flickering on these with a non-Vega card after AMD released Crimson 17.8.1?

How does this work? I see the monitor on massdrop but can only vote for it.

Sorry about late reply. When it comes to the Massdrop you need to register with their site. Its simple give your name, etc., and email addy. Then you can go in and buy or whatever. From time to time Massdrop will send you emails about their latest offerings. At first I didnt want another email advertisement but I found out they have quite a few good deals and a variety of selections to choose from so I allow them into my email box.

Just wanted to give an update after owning one now for just over a year, and using it daily:

Everything is still great and haven't had any issues. Been running at full res @ 100 hz since day 1 - and it still looks the same as day 1! Good colors, good contrast, no hot / stuck pixels, no noise (b/l buzz, etc.). Only thing to note is the sharpening does need adjusting out-of -box but doesn't need changing once it's set.

So still highly recommended display assuming they are being built to the same quality. Was wondering is this QD tech would have any issues and so far so good...

Back