Samsung C49RG90 32:9 5120x1440 monitor

After using my monitor, I've come to conclusion there is something fundamentally broken with its HDR implementation. ITs still fabulous in Standard mode, but HDR is just "off". Even after updating to the latest firmware revision, putting the monitor in HDR leaves all the colors muted and flat.

After using my monitor, I've come to conclusion there is something fundamentally broken with its HDR implementation. ITs still fabulous in Standard mode, but HDR is just "off". Even after updating to the latest firmware revision, putting the monitor in HDR leaves all the colors muted and flat.

That's just SDR content on the desktop. Blame Microsoft on how they decided to implement HDR support. Try the "Windows HD color" menu in Display Settings to improve the situation a bit. The best thing is to turn on HDR only when you want to actually use it, which is a pain in the ass in itself. I wish MS just added a "Use HDR in games and apps...only in fullscreen" or something so it would work like it does on consoles and just turn on when you start a game.

Tried that. The changes are not enough to be worth it. HDR is off for me. I have 2 games that support it, and I recently uninstalled one of them.

Just as well. Can't do 120hz with 10bit color anyway.

But its going to be HDR400 ,,,,, not 1000nits that it should be for true HDR enabled in windows and have 1000nits of brightness on your desktop and in games get the HDR effect......... LG messed that one up,, so Im waiting for the Acer CG7 which is VA but its 43" 4k 144hz HDR1000 Its a VA but it has the true HDR and windows will look nice and bright and lively, plus I hate wide screen,, talk about black bars,, for one thing, plus a shorter vertical size and resolution,, I jumped from LG to Acer CG7 and glad I did,,,,, Im not a pro photographer or photoshop user,, so ya IPS with HDR1000 and a 4k resolution would cost couple thousand so that is not out yet.

You think HDR is solely about the brightness? You do realise the backlight solution on the CG7 means that it's a long, long way from true HDR? It's only a bit brighter than the Asus XG438Q, which has all kinds of problems. It's highly likely the Acer will be the same given we know it's the same panel, only just a bit brighter. I'd be prepared for disappointment.

HDR really doesn’t help on the desktop. Only for media watching and games.

I have to say I don’t see any issues with HDR on the desktop (despite not finding it particularly useful) on my display (900f not this monitor) when set to 10 bit or 4:4:4 modes. Colors still look great after minor calibration. Nowhere near what’s being described here.

IMG_5339.jpg

I like it...the resolution is a nice step up from the CHG9

My consern about this monitor is the outputs.
DP 1.4 and HDMI 2.0.
No HDMI 2.1 (i know its early for something like that) or at least usb c.
Ok.. freesync 2 and 120 hz are supported by the DP 1.4 and thats good.
But what if you want to connect your monitor (DP 1.4 on that case - Samsung CRG90) to an HDMI 2.1 source that supports 120hz and freesync 2 as well?

The RTD2173 is a DP 1.4 to HDMI 2.1 converter. But i understand that this converter connects a DP 1.4 source to a HDMI 2.1 display.
Is there any converter that you can connect an HDMI2.1 source (e.g. PS5 in a year from now) to a DP 1.4 display like CRG90?
or this converter can also do the job?

I know that grafic cards have a displayPort 1.4 or that consoles target TV monitors and not ultra wide e.g. 32:9 but iam tryin gto figure out what limitation i may have in a year from now by bying this monitor.

In one month from now more 49 inches super ultra wide monitors will be announced ( CES 2020 ).

lets see if we are gonna have a super ultra wide monitor with more options on the outputs and at the same time supporting 5120x1440, HDR1000, freesync 2 and at least 120hz.

Last edited:
My consern about this monitor is the outputs.
DP 1.4 and HDMI 2.0.
No HDMI 2.1 (i know its early for something like that) or at least usb c.
Ok.. freesync 2 and 120 hz are supported by the DP 1.4 and thats good.
But what if you want to connect your monitor (DP 1.4 on that case - Samsung CRG90) to an HDMI 2.1 source that supports 120hz and freesync 2 as well?

The RTD2173 is a DP 1.4 to HDMI 2.1 converter. But i understand that this converter connects a DP 1.4 source to a HDMI 2.1 display.
Is there any converter that you can connect an HDMI2.1 source (e.g. PS5 in a year from now) to a DP 1.4 display like CRG90?
or this converter can also do the job?

I know that grafic cards have a displayPort 1.4 or that consoles target TV monitors and not ultra wide e.g. 32:9 but iam tryin gto figure out what limitation i may have in a year from now by bying this monitor.

In one month from now more 49 inches super ultra wide monitors will be announced ( CES 2020 ).

lets see if we are gonna have a super ultra wide monitor with more options on the outputs and at the same time supporting 5120x1440, HDR1000, freesync 2 and at least 120hz.

I would wager the answer is no. HDMI 2.1 is not going to be on desktop displays for a while simply because there are no devices that support it. It doesn't matter if new GPUs and consoles are coming next year. People who use their consoles with desktop displays instead of TVs are a small group and not everyone is going to buy a new GPU. Not to mention consoles will only output 16:9. Honestly if console usage is important to you, this is not the monitor I would pick.

Haven't tried if the CRG9 can do higher than 60 Hz over HDMI if the resolution is 2560x1440 for example. It might be possible because it can do 3840x1080 @ 120 Hz over HDMI according to the manual. 2560x1440 @ 120 Hz isn't in the standard resolution/refresh rate timing table but 1080p @ 120 Hz is.

As it is the dual DP + HDMI covers most bases just fine.

I would wager the answer is no. HDMI 2.1 is not going to be on desktop displays for a while simply because there are no devices that support it. It doesn't matter if new GPUs and consoles are coming next year. People who use their consoles with desktop displays instead of TVs are a small group and not everyone is going to buy a new GPU. Not to mention consoles will only output 16:9. Honestly if console usage is important to you, this is not the monitor I would pick.

Haven't tried if the CRG9 can do higher than 60 Hz over HDMI if the resolution is 2560x1440 for example. It might be possible because it can do 3840x1080 @ 120 Hz over HDMI according to the manual. 2560x1440 @ 120 Hz isn't in the standard resolution/refresh rate timing table but 1080p @ 120 Hz is.

As it is the dual DP + HDMI covers most bases just fine.
Firstly thanks for your reply. You have a point there but I mostly want that monitor for multitasking & productivity instead of using 2 x 27'. On the other hand, buying a super ultra wide monitor that costs 1200€ i would also prefer to be able to use it for other reasons like gaming even if i do not have the time to play a lot.regarding the consoles, it,s not an issue for me to use it with 16:9 1440p 100hz (e.g. ps5) and the fact that i can also use freesync 2 with that monitor only via DP1.4 , it makes me wonder if in a year from now there will be at least a proper converter from hdmi2.1 source that supports freesync 2 to dp1.4 display where freesync 2 is supported as well.

Finally TFT CENTRAL post a review about Samsung c49rg90 (16/1). You may find it in the following url
https://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/samsung_c49rg90.htm

Did surprisingly bad in it for response time, to the point that I had to pull up my old ASUS PG278Q right next to it to see how it does in mirrored mode with both displays at 120 Hz. Seeing the two displays side by side, that about 900:1 contrast ratio of the PG278Q did not impress and I really had to tweak the CRG9 a lot to get it that crappy looking so I had roughly equal image for comparison. I played Sekiro modded for 120 fps at 2560x1440 on both displays and the CRG9 was a bit blurrier for sure. The overdrive seems very conservative so the Samsung G9 could be able to improve on this a fair bit but I wish Samsung also improved it for this model with a firmware update. According to TFT Central there is barely any difference between the two and setting the overdrive to Standard with Freesync enabled seems like a stupid move.

Running TestUFO there was definitely black trailing. In actual use I have mostly experienced this running dark mode in Windows where it looks as if antialiasing is switched off while scrolling, making text visibly change shape. In games I haven't really noticed it.

This is certainly not an ideal monitor for someone playing competitive shooters but I don't care for those so for me it works well for all the games I've played so far.

Found out my HDR problems with this monitor: Monitor driver defaulted to microsoft instead of samsung.

see https://www.reddit.com/user/Brcinsk...g_crg9_hdr_fix_at_least_better_colors_for_me/

Played Division 2 which is an HDR enabled game. Yeah, the colors are much better with the proper monitor driver installed. However, I find the HDR is far too saturated and I can't see for shit in night scenes.
If that is the case then most likely it is not correct and possibly running at a wrong color space. HDR does not increase saturation.

Got the Division 2 colors to work. With HDR active, I needed to change the following in game settings: lower the HDR Peak Brightness to 1000 and the HDR Peak Brightness for UI Elements to 100. Now the saturation matches the SDR presentation. And SDR still looks better.

Last edited:
Back