Samsung C49RG90 32:9 5120x1440 monitor

I guess I could see some people liking it for gaming, but I don't see it being a practical all around monitor. Using it would be like driving a limo as a daily driver.

I like the aspect ratio, the problem is that while a surprising number of games will support it, most will still display the HUD elements on the outer edges which really kills the usability. A few games correct for this, but not many at all.

I have the 3440x1080 version of this and like the aspect ratio. Games really look great. I'm on the fence about the 1440p version because it likely needs a 2080ti to drive the level of details that I want...

People are receiving them in the US and posting impressions on reddit.

Nothing really coherent or consistent yet except "OMG SO BIG" but some of are so used to that, it barely registers...

People are receiving them in the US and posting impressions on reddit.

Nothing really coherent or consistent yet except "OMG SO BIG" but some of are so used to that, it barely registers...

Link por favor.

Currently running 3 27 1080p's. Wondering if this mimics nSurround as in actually seeing to your left and right or it just stretches...i'm guessing my rig would need to be updated too. I have just a normal 1080 and an aging Sandy-E

Currently running 3 27 1080p's. Wondering if this mimics nSurround as in actually seeing to your left and right or it just stretches...i'm guessing my rig would need to be updated too. I have just a normal 1080 and an aging Sandy-E

If you want 120Hz, you have to run it like a single monitor. It can do PBP with 2-3 inputs, but you're forced down to 60Hz

Link por favor.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ultrawidemasterrace/search?q=CRG9&restrict_sr=1&sort=new

Edit - this pic shows my main concern with this screen. A lot of games are going to put HUD elements on either side and you're going to have to turn your head back and forth. A lot.

Attachments

• CRG9-HUD1.png
    CRG9-HUD1.png
    694.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
My biggest concern during gaming is how it stretches the image on the periphery. I’ve seen some videos where it exhibits the same problem as triple monitor setups via nvidia surround.

I planned on waiting for the 1440 version when the 1080 version was released a few years ago. Bit after that I got a 55 inch 4k tv that I use as a monitor that I’m happy with. Going to the C49RG90 feels like doing a step back. I mostly play flight sims and 99% of the time I now use my CV1 for that if the game supports it. Three years ago I would’ve drooled all over this thing to replace my three 22 inch monitor surround setup. Times and priorities change I guess.

So probably a stupid question, but would the igpu in an I7-6600U drive this monitor? The max resolution for that igpu is 4096x2304 but wasn't sure if it would work with the 5120x1440 aspect. Looking to use this for productivity with a work laptop and with a dedicated gaming rig. Hoping my work laptop would work with this.

I just got mine yesterday and this is my favorite monitor thus far. I previously used the 3840x1080 version of this monitor and while I really really hated the low DPI and how big everything was for desktop use, the immersion factor for gaming was just too good. Having a monitor like this that wraps all around you is just amazing, almost a bit like VR without the stupid headset. I think this new model strikes the perfect balance between awesome gaming experience and awesome for desktop use with the resolution.

So probably a stupid question, but would the igpu in an I7-6600U drive this monitor? The max resolution for that igpu is 4096x2304 but wasn't sure if it would work with the 5120x1440 aspect. Looking to use this for productivity with a work laptop and with a dedicated gaming rig. Hoping my work laptop would work with this.

I don't see why it wouldn't work to at least draw the desktop, unless the output for your iGPU doesn't support the right version of DisplayPort.

So this monitor's already 100 bucks off at Amazon and B&H. Odd.

Samsung must know something and is trying to dump this monitor. Why would you lower the price on something you can't seem to keep in stock?

Well we will see how this monitor is for real. One got delivered to MicroCenter and I reserved it. Picking it up tonight after work.

Impressions: Image is stunning. Out of box its calibrated. Have a z-rite iPro2, and the color settings are spot on.

HDR: Confused as hell. Turning on HDR via Microsoft OS widget causes the image to become muted, dark. and dull. If I leave it off then the image is bright and vibrant.

FreeSync 2: This is my first VRR monitor. VRR is subtle but noticeable in a good way.

Size: Its ginormous. Box is of course Monsterous. I had to lower my roof on my car (2 door convertible) to get it home from MicroCenter.

Heads up. Due to the stand design, the monitor sits closer to me than I expected. I need a deeper desk, but that is not going to happen. I wish the stand could raise the monitor another 6 inches higher. I may need to get a heavy duty monitor arm or just cut up some 2x4s to put under the stand to raise the monitor up.

Last edited:
So in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtoaYqOcr3k

He says the CRG9 can be overclocked to 144 Hz with no frame-skipping at 8-bit FULL RGB color. Is that true? Has anyone done this?
I watched the video. Hadn't seen it before but I have seen others review it and no mention of overclocking it to 144hz. I'm guessing they didnt try it. Now you have me wondering about this as well.

So in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtoaYqOcr3k

He says the CRG9 can be overclocked to 144 Hz with no frame-skipping at 8-bit FULL RGB color. Is that true? Has anyone done this?

I do not have any insight on whether the panel itself is capable of doing 144 Hz, but theoretically speaking its not possible to do 144 Hz on that resolution with 8 bit color at full RGB on DP 1.4. If I did my math right, 5120 x 1440p at 144 Hz with 8 bit color is slightly over the max data rate of DP 1.4 (27.76 GBits/s vs 25.92 max on DP 1.4). It would work if you did 8 bit color and 4:2:2.

Saw this screen at a store yesterday, unfortunately only running a demo video. It is impressive to look at yet it seems just unpractical. I wish they had gone for 5K x 1600 or something because the thing is so wide that the vertical space seems cramped even though it’s really just two 1440p screens side by side. For gaming the aspect ratio just seems way too wide and for desktop use you really have to cram several windows side by side to make good use of it. Seems like a good display if you don’t mind that but I prefer something that is more balanced in size diagonally. It just feels odd even compared to using multiple monitors and not being able to say put a game on one half like you can with dual monitors makes it all the more strange. I bet those who play a lot of flight or racing sims would love it though.

Ok I have to take back what I said above. I picked this display to test since those 4K 43" models don't necessarily deliver and to be honest it seems pretty cool. I haven't been able to even try it at the full resolution because I haven't hauled it home yet so I only have my Macbook Pro and the crappy HDMI adapter for it which can't do full resolution. I thought that this would be unfeasibly large but it really isn't (except to move around, the package was huge) and there's many ways to run it.

So far I've had some problems hooking up my MBP to it. At first I could not get it to run 1440p but restarting my machine and unplugging seemed to fix it. The max resolution I can get is 3840x1080. For some reason 3440x1440 does not show up at all and adding custom resolutions to MacOS is troublesome. I've ordered a USB-C to Displayport 1.4 adapter to see if that will fix my issues as the laptop itself is capable of running this resolution.

So for now I am running the display at 2560x1440 with the display size set to 27" 16:9. This puts it to center. PbP mode also works with this resolution but it has an annoying "please check DP cable" notification blinking on the screen that is not connected. This is unlikely to be an issue because when I get this hooked to my home computer I will always have both sides connected if I use PbP.

It's a shame that Samsung disables options based on what mode is in use for no good reason. You can select different things depending on if your input is set to AV vs PC mode, Freesync options also enable/disable things like overdrive settings. Likewise with PbP mode a lot of options get disabled. There should be no need for that. The OSD is also not that well laid out. It seems that there is no super quick way to turn on PbP either as it's at least a few clicks away.

The display actually does a pretty good job at handling different aspect ratios. I have been able to select 1440p, 1080p etc and it has resized the screen to 16:9 properly. Resolutions like 3840x1080 are unfortunately not handled right, they become full screen when the ideal option would be 1:1 scaling. I'll have to see if it handles better on PC because I know my HDMI adapter is a limiting factor here. There is a curious "screen size" option that offers things like "19 inch 4:3" which seem to offer 1:1 scaling that might be useful for...something. I could not find a suitable resolution to use with some of its options. Ultimately it's probably better to just use different resolutions with the GPU and select scaling based on that.

I'll report back in a few days on how it does for PC and gaming use. For productivity it's pretty awesome. I think my ideal screen might be 5120x1600 res now...maybe in some years...

So finally got this behemoth back home. Tried Witcher 3, SotTR, Sekiro (with mods because it doesn't support ultrawide otherwise) and Yakuza Kiwami 2. Immersive is an apt description. Being able to glance at the sides to see more is very cool. In terms of performance my 2080 Ti can handle it alright. Seems to run around similar performance as 4K would. Games are not built for ultrawides like this as UI goes way to the sides. That helps for immersiveness but is not great if you need to keep track of your health etc.

Coming from a 27" 1440p TN ASUS PG278Q the resolution is of course not sharper since this is just two of those side by side. The color and contrast are vastly improved though. For some reason I find this more pleasant to use at 100% scaling than my previous display, maybe because it has a bit less heavy antiglare coating. In terms of responsiveness and motion blur I have no complaints, seems to do just fine. Stand could be a little bit more rigid, I get a little bit of wobble as I type on my keyboard but that might be my desk too as I have some similar issues on my previous screen. In terms of design it's good, it isn't ugly and doesn't hog all my desk space.

Resolution support could be better out of the box. 3440x1440 is absent and I had to also use custom resolutions to add some "less than full width" ultrawide settings. Running this with no scaling is generally the best option as a lot of 1440 pixel high resolutions work perfectly well on it. 144 Hz works but according to NVCP using any resolution with 144 Hz drops color depth to 6-bit. I haven't investigated enough to tell if this is what happens. At 120 Hz it's all good, though DSC would have been welcome as using 10 bit color means color space reductions. HDR is a bit of a bitch and caused game crashes for me. Likewise it came as a surprise that Shadow of the Tomb Raider did not support DLSS at anything but 2560x1440 with this display. No ultrawide options at all.

Windows is really not built for this display. It's annoying to have start menu on one side and notifications on the other. MacOS is so much better in this area because it has the dock in the center. I need to figure out some alternative solutions to make this work. Otherwise working on the display is stellar. I am a web developer and being able to have some terminals, browsers, debug tools, IDE etc all open side by side is fantastic. I don't think a big 4K 16:9 could do better here, it's just more intuitive to look at your sides than into corners.

My biggest beef with the display right now is not being able to save a preset with PbP enabled so I could quickly switch between PbP on vs off. Display manufacturers should really consider what are the features people need to access in the OSD often. I mean the quick controls when pushing the stick into directions are speaker/headphone out volume +/-, image settings (ok that's fine) and "Eye saver mode" which just makes the picture worse. Why can't I configure these to be say PbP on/off etc? They took the time to make it possible to toggle how the power LED is shown (on when the display is off or on when it is on) but not this?

It's honestly pretty silly if you think about it, considering how screen formats have changed (admittedly in limited aspects, but lots of resolutions) over the years, that nobody has ever thought it might be a good idea to invest a tiny modicum of time and care to implement a culture of modularity into G/UIs. It's not like they don't already factor resolution into scaling in the first place, and aren't already setup for a couple of different aspect ratios, it's not some big leap to calculate the difference regardless of the resolution and compensate, or even, offer configuration options if that variable happens to be above "X" in X. Even outside of OS UI's, considering the modern style of game UI's which are pretty much all islanded (independent) components, it's not like it would require a whole bunch of special assets, worst case, at least spread or pinch based on Y values. Should (would) be easily, and default integrated into any modern engine at this point. I know the whole UW, and beyond scene is burgeoning, and that may seem extreme, but remember where we came from? I guess nobody ever thought we'd ever change aspect ratios again and the 5 minutes of programming would have any return value.. ;(

It's honestly pretty silly if you think about it, considering how screen formats have changed (admittedly in limited aspects, but lots of resolutions) over the years, that nobody has ever thought it might be a good idea to invest a tiny modicum of time and care to implement a culture of modularity into G/UIs. It's not like they don't already factor resolution into scaling in the first place, and aren't already setup for a couple of different aspect ratios, it's not some big leap to calculate the difference regardless of the resolution and compensate, or even, offer configuration options if that variable happens to be above "X" in X. Even outside of OS UI's, considering the modern style of game UI's which are pretty much all islanded (independent) components, it's not like it would require a whole bunch of special assets, worst case, at least spread or pinch based on Y values. Should (would) be easily, and default integrated into any modern engine at this point. I know the whole UW, and beyond scene is burgeoning, and that may seem extreme, but remember where we came from? I guess nobody ever thought we'd ever change aspect ratios again and the 5 minutes of programming would have any return value.. ;(

Witcher 3 is actually pretty superb in this regard, it works with minor fisheye effect but above all puts the UI in the center. I hope we see that attention to detail in Cyberpunk.

Control is disappointing by not supporting the resolution at all instead it stretches 21:9 to the full screen. I hope they patch in support. It would be an excellent game for this aspect ratio.

EDIT: Control can be patched to work with 32:9. Only the UI goes to the very sides but otherwise looks quite glorious. Having proper peripheral vision certainly helps. See https://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Control

Last edited:
HDR on this display is a pretty mixed bag. The low amount of dimming zones really shows up as vertical stripes of light or dark depending on if they are lit or not. Even having say a small GeForce Experience banner on screen will light up a full portion of the screen whereas the rest is black. That said, when actually playing it's not noticeable and seems to work well in HDR videos at least, those look gorgeous. Game support seems to be mostly pretty horrible. I don't have anything new enough that has a great HDR implementation so I can't say if it's great or not.

Many games have some fisheye effect to the sides when run at the full 5k x 1440p res but the fact that I didn't even notice it at first means it's not a big deal when actually playing and still looks better than 3440x1440 despite the increase in performance. Funnily enough Control when patched is actually one of the best examples of it working as it should. No fish eye, just vast space.

Gt1HFHn.jpg

HDR on this display is a pretty mixed bag. The low amount of dimming zones really shows up as vertical stripes of light or dark depending on if they are lit or not. Even having say a small GeForce Experience banner on screen will light up a full portion of the screen whereas the rest is black. That said, when actually playing it's not noticeable and seems to work well in HDR videos at least, those look gorgeous. Game support seems to be mostly pretty horrible. I don't have anything new enough that has a great HDR implementation so I can't say if it's great or not.

Many games have some fisheye effect to the sides when run at the full 5k x 1440p res but the fact that I didn't even notice it at first means it's not a big deal when actually playing and still looks better than 3440x1440 despite the increase in performance. Funnily enough Control when patched is actually one of the best examples of it working as it should. No fish eye, just vast space.

Yeah, I mean, the FOV fisheye effect is really noticeable with even standard Ultrawides at 3440x1440, although it's also something that is easy to fixate over when you're really "thinking" about a format change with a new display, just like backlight bleed etc. I gotta say though, man that shot looks cool, and immersive as hell!

HDR in Gears 5 looks pretty good. Sure, the display could use more dimming zones but for all it has going for it I can't complain.

This is about as closest to my ultimate monitor desired. Problem is there is or I can't find any review, user etc. posting actual game benchmarks with various cards. How do multitude of reviewers not post any game benchmarks on this very unique aspect ratio gaming monitor? What sort of impact of having this Ultra Ultra wide aspect ratio has. Would actually be nice seeing how different cards perform, drivers etc. One is going to spend $1500+ and not have a clue if their graphics card or system will just suck. Reviewers -> FAIL

Now if anyone can share at least their gaming performance, that would be great! Thanks.

This is about as closest to my ultimate monitor desired. Problem is there is or I can't find any review, user etc. posting actual game benchmarks with various cards. How do multitude of reviewers not post any game benchmarks on this very unique aspect ratio gaming monitor? What sort of impact of having this Ultra Ultra wide aspect ratio has. Would actually be nice seeing how different cards perform, drivers etc. One is going to spend $1500+ and not have a clue if their graphics card or system will just suck. Reviewers -> FAIL

Now if anyone can share at least their gaming performance, that would be great! Thanks.

It's about 10% better than 4K as a ballpark. The bigger problem is the flicker you get with the Freesync Ultimate Engine and an Nvidia GPU, and the reason I returned mine. Makes VRR virtually useless on this monitor unless you're willing to sacrifice a lot of detail, as only Standard Engine can be used, at a range of 70-120FPS... hardly ideal on a monitor that's near 4K resolution.

It's about 10% better than 4K as a ballpark. The bigger problem is the flicker you get with the Freesync Ultimate Engine and an Nvidia GPU, and the reason I returned mine. Makes VRR virtually useless on this monitor unless you're willing to sacrifice a lot of detail, as only Standard Engine can be used, at a range of 70-120FPS... hardly ideal on a monitor that's near 4K resolution.
Thanks. I don't think AMD has anything that could drive it well enough at this point.

This seems to be a case by case thing. I have flicker in Nvidia Pendulum demo even if I limit its framerate to 100-120. On the other hand I don't get any flicker in the real games I tried. Control, GTA V, Shadow of the Tomb Raider, Gears 5. Didn't notice flicker issues and I tried putting their framerates to levels where they might trigger the switch between Freesync. I just did not notice any issues. Using 436.30 drivers on a 2080 Ti, Freesync ultimate, 120 Hz refresh rate, G-Sync on. Tried windowed vs fullscreen on the games that easily allowed it.

Regarding performance, just look at 4K benchmarks and you will have a pretty good indicator. Remember that you can always play at 3440x1440, 3840x1440 or say 4096x1440 without scaling issues if you want more performance and don't mind black bars on the sides.

See this Reddit post for more info. My take on it is in the the top rated post below OP.

I added pretty much everything I can think of about this monitor and its quirks here:

Last edited:
Oh dang wtf 100hz ? I thought this is 120hz ? Also the vertical resolution sux ballz 1440 ? Current gaming monitors ultra wide are 1440. They can give your 5120 which no video card can drive, then drop a 1440 bomb and a small physical vertical size. Ive seen this in person, and its a horrible monitor. Freakin tennis match while the vertical sux as I said before.

Nonsense. The wide horizontal resolution allows for a lot of desktop space that is perfect for having several windows side by side. I find it really good for working. Colors are also fine and I have no issues with viewing angles. In terms of performance needed it's 1M pixels less than 4K so it's actually easier to drive than 4K. Could it be taller vertical res? Sure, but such a display is not available with a high refresh rate so nothing you can do about that.

It's definitely not for everyone.

Yeah. It's not a big issue in reality but would be nice if you didn't need to deal with that compromise.

Very interesting post - the Hud element issue was one of the main reasons I ruled out this monitor.

Will it do 144Hz 8bit color at 4096x1440 or some of the slightly lower resolutions?

I mostly play FPS games like Modern Warfare and Apex Legends so I'm still a little concerned about how this panel will perform in those games.

What's your take?

Very interesting post - the Hud element issue was one of the main reasons I ruled out this monitor.

Will it do 144Hz 8bit color at 4096x1440 or some of the slightly lower resolutions?

I mostly play FPS games like Modern Warfare and Apex Legends so I'm still a little concerned about how this panel will perform in those games.

What's your take?

Just keep the vertical res 1440 and any resolution will scale perfectly with black bars on the side.

144 Hz is a bit weird because NVCP says it drops to 6-bit regardless of resolution used but I really can't tell a difference to 8-bit.

What's your take?

There's a lot of overshoot. It's a blurry monitor.

Color shift at the edges is noticeable too.

I'd pass. The 37.5" LG is going to be better.

IPS > VA for games.

There's a lot of overshoot. It's a blurry monitor.

Color shift at the edges is noticeable too.

I'd pass. The 37.5" LG is going to be better.

IPS > VA for games.

I really don't agree with any of this. When sitting in front of it I don't notice any issue with color shift and at least according to rtings.com review it has zero overshoot with the "Faster" response time setting which I think it also uses in Freesync mode. Did you reply to the wrong thread by accident?

I really don't agree with any of this. When sitting in front of it I don't notice any issue with color shift and at least according to rtings.com review it has zero overshoot with the "Faster" response time setting which I think it also uses in Freesync mode. Did you reply to the wrong thread by accident?

I think a lot of it is relative to what you're used to. I used TN panels for years and was concerned that IPS would be too blurry, but I find it to be ideal. I would probably be leaning toward the CRG9 if the LG monitor was not a thing, but it is a thing.

In case someone is wondering how the different resolutions stack up in terms of viewing area:

RugFig8.jpg

Back