Samsung Bixby Speaker Delayed to Late 2018

Discussion in 'HardForum Tech News' started by rgMekanic, Feb 26, 2018.

1. rgMekanic

rgMekanic [H]ard|News Staff Member

While I hate to be the bearer of bad news, Slashgear is reporting that the Samsung Bixby speaker will be delayed until late this year. Samsung will be wanting to enter the competitive wiretap smart speaker market, however DJ Koh, president of Samsung's mobile division told the Wall Street Journal “I want to focus on more premium,” whatever that means.
    Even so, smart home integration is almost certain to be included. Samsung also owns SmartThings, and using the Bixby speaker to operate Internet of Things devices and connected home products like lights and remote-controlled vacuums is an obvious option. This new timeline for the device could even see it launch alongside the Galaxy Note 9, which we’re expecting to see debut late in the year.

DF-1 likes this.
  2. AKA "We're going the apple route and bending out customers over the table for more money"

3. SeymourGore

SeymourGore 2[H]4U

If I got paid a $1 for every time I've yelled "Fucking Bixby" after accidentally hitting the Bixby key on my S8, I'd have a solid $24 right now.

4. BHenry

BHenry Limp Gawd

Does anyone actually want that device?

5. spugm1r3

spugm1r3 [H]ard|Gawd

Hey, when you are late to market, why not be really late?

6. Kdawg

Kdawg Gawd

All these sheep companies making their own me-too version of the same shit.

Just like years ago, every damn company made a tablet. Now look who's left standing.

7. Verge

Verge [H]ardness Supreme

Wait the person over the Samsung smart speaker is named "DJ"

It must be good then.

8. XenIneX

XenIneX Gawd

I'm sure someone out there was disappointed by this announcement. Somewhere.

9. Maxx

Maxx [H]ard|Gawd

“I want to focus on more premium"

Translation: I want to focus more on getting Apple-like prices/profits out of the same old shit

spugm1r3, Stimpy88 and Jim Kim like this.
  10. seanreisk

seanreisk Gawd

Samsung doesn't have the knack for adding value to the things they make. They make solid stuff, and I wish they'd stick to that - make a smartphone, a monitor, a refrigerator, whatever, and make it as good as they can, as cheaply as they can, and then maybe work on their return policy. I bought an S7 because I like Samsung monitors, and it's a good phone, but everything wrong with it is in the features or software that Samsung added to it. Hell, I can't even turn the volume up past 50% unless I acknowledge that playing music at a high volume might damage my hearing.

And their Bixby speaker looks like a turret from Portal.

TwistedAegis and spugm1r3 like this.
  11. Uvaman2

Uvaman2 2[H]4U

Finally! The market is REALLY broken!

12. Stimpy88

Stimpy88 [H]ard|Gawd

13. spugm1r3

spugm1r3 [H]ard|Gawd

I think this holds true for anyone monkeying with Android after the fact. The OS is pretty full featured, out-of-the-box. The only reason you customize it is skim more information off the top, or to push users towards your own pay-for-access offerings.

Jim Kim likes this.
  14. katanaD

katanaD [H]ard|Gawd

maybe he means they need the extra time to make a proper coaster so it doesnt leave rings on your hard wood surfaces