Samsung Bixby Available in US Now

monkeymagick

[H]News
For you Samsung Galaxy S8 and S8+ users, Samsung has finally rolled out the voice assistant Bixby for users in the United States. Bixby is a revamp of Samsung's very own S Voice digital assistant previously available on older phones. Apparently, the company has finally figured out the English language, as the rollout was originally planned for release this past spring. With all the complaints of the Bixby button, maybe some users ought to switch to another device -- just a suggestion.

Samsung says that deep learning should allow Bixby to improve over time as it begins to recognize users' preferences and ways of speaking.

Last edited:
I dont use voice assistance , and i really hate that they push the bixby button , let me disable it! (S8)

Samsung is as dead to me as Apple ever was. Let's see how long it takes before my current choice (LG, V20) manufacturer gets power-mad and starts pushing things too far. I used to use Samsung because of their wonderful hardware, but their pushing of bloat just became too much. It's obvious that they have Apple-envy. And that doesn't cut it for me...

I have been watching Bixby for a while. The demos I saw were very impressive - it appeared like it was going to be better than Siri (and other assistants) with its natural language. Ironically, the demos I watched were all in English.
Allegedly, Apple was not interested in the lead developer/scientist improving Siri so he split after this contract was up. Now, I find Siri to be one of the weaker voice assistants around...

I'm on an S8 right now and I find Brixby to be useless. The news aggregate is good but I can easily do everything that the voice assist does in a few seconds. It doesn't improve my particular user experience in any way. Plus Samsung is trying to out compete all the Google products, so you have duplicate apps for most regular tasks on your phone. The hardware is great and I absolutely love the camera but the Samsung bloat is a real POA.

"Samsung says that deep learning should allow Bixby to improve over time"

That's nice. Couldn't possibly be 500 developers trying to get the bugs out and entering more metadata.. clearly it's "deep learning."

I'm on an S8 right now and I find Brixby to be useless. The news aggregate is good but I can easily do everything that the voice assist does in a few seconds. It doesn't improve my particular user experience in any way. Plus Samsung is trying to out compete all the Google products, so you have duplicate apps for most regular tasks on your phone. The hardware is great and I absolutely love the camera but the Samsung bloat is a real POA.

You can use Package Disabler Pro to turn off all the Bixby stuff and the other Samsung bloatware. I use that plus Launcher3 so swiping from the left on the home screen goes to Google Now screen like the Nexus/Pixel phones.

You can use Package Disabler Pro to turn off all the Bixby stuff and the other Samsung bloatware. I use that plus Launcher3 so swiping from the left on the home screen goes to Google Now screen like the Nexus/Pixel phones.
This. Along with buying a unlocked phone to begin with. So you skip carrier bloat (which is way worse than manufacturer bloat in the case of samsung).

I did appreciate when we could re map the button, but with a recent update samsung disabled the ability to re map the button. I don't use it, it really doesn't bother me. The s8/s8+ is world's ahead of 99% of any phone available on the market. I can deal with a button that currently has little to no function to me.

What was even worse was jot being able to make good use of the small second screen on the v20. Screen bleed, and lack of customizing that little screen is what drive me from that phone. Used it 2 weeks when it first came out. Never again. I sold it at a loss, went back to my note 5, and then bought a s8+.

I have yet to find any use for a personal assistant on any of my devices. Disabled Google assistant on my Pixel and Siri on my iPad Pro. Its odd to me why Samsung disables remapping of the Bixby button, but you can choose to use Google assistant over Bixby. Just give the user the ability to remap that button to something more useful if they wish.

Back