cageymaru

Fully [H]
Samsung Display has announced that it has created the world's first 15.6-inch ultra-high definition (UHD) OLED display for the premium notebook/laptop market. Mass production of the panels begins mid-February. The displays will feature a 3840 x 2160 resolution, HDR and will be optimized for gaming, graphic design and video streaming. The new panel features a brightness level ranging from 0.0005 to 600 nits, and a dynamic contrast ratio of 120,000:1.

This allows the screens to produce black color that is 200 times darker and whites twice as bright as a conventional LCD. Combined with the ability to display 3.4 million colors (double that of similarly sized LCD panels), the UHD displays will maximize the HDR experience for users. Outdoor visibility is remarkably improved with 1.7 times higher color volume compared to LCDs of similar size, which improves the clarity of outside viewing while also reducing imagery degradation outdoors. The new displays are thinner and slimmer than a LCD display for added convenience and mobility.

"Our 15.6-inch UHD OLED panel provides the most suitable display solutions for carry-on IT devices with outstanding HDR enhancements, unparalleled color reproduction and much-improved outdoor visibility. We have no doubt that our new OLED display will offer a much superior visual experience to notebook users worldwide," said Jae-nam Yun, head of the marketing team at Samsung Display. Samsung Display emphasized that its 15.6-inch UHD OLED panel meets the latest DisplayHDR True Black specification released by VESA (Video Electronics Standards Association). With black color that is a hundred times richer than the previous HDR standard, Samsung Display's newest panel brings a very significant enhancement to HDR, in depicting high-contrast almost as well as the human eye, making black imagery blacker and white images whiter.

No wonder some of the venders were showing off 15.6 laptops with OLED at CES. Good ole Samsung.

15.6" display in 4K? Holy crap...I guess you'd have to use 200% DPI scaling.

You can get 4k in a 13" panel- and honestly, as 1080p works out alright for those (typing on one now), you'd prefer 4k with 200% scaling over something between. Had one of those too and hated it.

Which brings up another question: while I'm aware that Samsung has had issues with scaling their OLED tech up, where's the 13" version? I'd much prefer this panel in an ultrabook!

[that is, in an ultrabook 2-in-1 with Intel's next-gen graphics with adaptive sync and a 120Hz refresh rate, please!]

Yeah, at that high DPI, whats the point?

My work laptop is a Dell Latitude E7470. For some ridiculous reason this little 14" laptop came with a 1440p screen.

Up until they upgraded me to windows 10 last week, I just ran it at 1080p, because Win7 can't do different scaling on different screens, so with scaling I could either have legible text on my laptop screen and HUGE text on my dock, or normal text on my dock, and illegible text on my laptop screen.

Now with Win 10, I just scale it, but it would have been better if it had just had a 1080p or maybe even a 720p screen.

Ultra high DPI's are just annoying and wasteful

Reactions: mkk
like this

Aye, you need at least 200% to see on that thing. I have a 4K non OLED on my Dell laptop and it looks great. As for OLED, burn in is a real concern especially on a computer. My Sammy S9+ got burn in from YouTube which is highly disappointing as I otherwise love the phone. All makes that had OLED options on a laptop dumped it after just one generation and I wonder why (I do have to admin that Alienware and HP laptops that had it looked great).

3.4 million colors? 24 bit is 16.8 million, 30 bit is 1 billion, right?

Reactions: noko
like this
It's oled so there will be image burn in.

Hard hard pass. I'll wait for microled.
Definitely more concern for a monitor instead of watching a show but it's still really hard to accomplish unless you're just completely negligent of your OLED display.

They should talk about how they will mitigate burn in first.
Screen savers? For burn in it would have to be left on the same image for HOURS for there to even be a possibility of burn in. I mean I can see this is a problem but a very slight problem that likely occurs from negligence.

Screen savers? For burn in it would have to be left on the same image for HOURS for there to even be a possibility of burn in. I mean I can see this is a problem but a very slight problem that likely occurs from negligence.

Burn in on a computer is not a new thing lol.... screen savers making a comeback!!!

/slowclap.

They could have done this years ago, they've been putting 2560 AMOLED's in 10" tablets for ages.

I guess it would depend on what you are doing with it. But if you were a professional needing to use this for work then burn in would actually be an issue. If rtings' recent report is anything to go by, the brighter the colors the higher the chance of burn in.

I have a Dell Precision laptop with a 4k screen... IT SUCKS.

200% scaling for the desktop unless you want to use a microscope to see stuff. And of course scaling makes stuff look a bit blurry.

It is absolutely pointless to have 4k with a 15.6" screen.

The macbook crowd will be pleased, they like 4K and beyond in their laptop screens.

Honestly I have 1080p 15.6" and a 1080p 14" laptops... I cannot imagine higher rez without busting out reading glasses. And gaming... come on....

Maybe for young'uns with better eyes than mine and a trust fund.

true story - I recently had a manager that was rocking a 1024x768 screen, he couldn't see anything smaller than that even with coke bottle glasses.

The macbook crowd will be pleased, they like 4K and beyond in their laptop screens.

Honestly I have 1080p 15.6" and a 1080p 14" laptops... I cannot imagine higher rez without busting out reading glasses. And gaming... come on....

Maybe for young'uns with better eyes than mine and a trust fund.

true story - I recently had a manager that was rocking a 1024x768 screen, he couldn't see anything smaller than that even with coke bottle glasses.

There's DPI scaling, but even my new work laptop from dell is a 4k screen. I like the extra sharpness and when I have to do CAD it helps when I zoom in to look at things. But I do have to do DPI scaling on text. That being said all my monitors and TVs at home are now 4k, and at work most are too.

I wonder if any manufacturers will take full advantage of the "oooh shiny and new" craze that will result from this and stick them into their laptop models with an ODD option, then proceed to charge another $200 for an $60 4K-capable Blu-ray drive.

Definitely more concern for a monitor instead of watching a show but it's still really hard to accomplish unless you're just completely negligent of your OLED display.

Unfortunately it isn't hard to accomplish and really, who wants to dwell on and keep in mind taking care of their screen. It should be resilient enough to not be a bother, however with OLED after just 30 minutes of static image daily you will be seeing burn in. Definitely a show stopper for anyone who uses their computer be it gaming or anything else. There are just too many static things. For exclusive movie wathing it is probably fine but everything else I don't know. Unless you're just loaded and don't give a rat's ass and just go buy a new one if one suffers from burn in.

Burn in on a computer is not a new thing lol.... screen savers making a comeback!!!
Wonder if my father still has that Star Trek TOS screensaver I bought him in the early 90s?

Lol at people crying burn in. Have an Alienware 13 OLED from a year ago, screen as nice as Day 1 (nicer than every single laptop screen in existence that is).

Looking forward to this!

Held on to my 1st gen i3 for 7-8 years til it was stolen.
I easily logged 11 hours daily doing various things that can leave burn-in.

I'm holding out for 8K... 4K is so 2014. I just want to be able to set Windows scaling to 600% on a 13-15” display for shits&giggles.

Last edited:
With a push for thin HDR displays this makes sense. You are never going to get a good enough backlight for LCD tech that can do reasonable HDR thin enough for a laptop. Not to mention most people who say they have burn-in actually have image retention, and they just need to watch something else for a bit.

Oled burn in is over rated I have been uesing a 55c6 for two years as probably 75%pc/gaming and 25 tv/ moives. I have seen a little bit of ir but never burn in.

Not for PC youtube fans. Otherwise Just avoid anything with a defined red image/logo/hud or plan to throw it in the land fill at year three.

Oled burn in is over rated I have been uesing a 55c6 for two years as probably 75%pc/gaming and 25 tv/ moives. I have seen a little bit of ir but never burn in.

Bought my crippled mother a 65" E6 over 2 years ago. It runs at least 8+ hours a day. No burn in. When she pauses to go to the bathroom it goes all black with a little firework popping up on the screen in different spots.

And why the hell would you leave the fucker on a static image for 30 minutes as one of the posters above said??? If hitting the power button on the remote is killing you, well you're fucked up. I have read every ding bat post at AVS and every one of the Burn Ins was avoidable by leaving the damn screen saver that is auto on, on. Also, most don't even own one to know, just like posting what they hear. Most OLED T.V.s are out of the price range of what these trolls can afford. I can't afford it, so I will post what POS it is. Still can't get a better image.

75" MicroLED had lines in it where the panels connected and were quite visible. MicroLED won't be viable for the home market, if ever, till 2025 from industry insiders. OLED is coming to market in 55 and 65" ROLLABLE version this year. In that 6 years, new plants will be printing up to 100" rollable without a box OLED screens. LG will have the 88" out next year for consumers, followed by the 98" that the new GEN10 plant can print. They were limited on the older plants to 55, 65, 77". You will notice a 75" this year. That's the new plant able to scale better for up coming bigger screens. Plus there are 3 different ways to make OLED, and W-Oled is the cheapest one they are using now.

Oh and MicroLED does get hot, not as bad as plasma but yep there is good heat coming off the screen. 8Million mini light in a laptop screen. Battery life should be excellent though, it's LED!!!

As someone who has replaced a lot of laptop screens I always suspect that changes like this are less about need or wants, and more about increasing repairs costs to the point that customer's buy new pcs when they break. Everytime parts get cheap companies switch to a new ac style, new display tech etc.

I'm sure it's just my tinfoil hat and the natural progression of technology, but sometimes it's fun to put on the cap and start muttering lol

Yeah, at that high DPI, whats the point?

My work laptop is a Dell Latitude E7470. For some ridiculous reason this little 14" laptop came with a 1440p screen.

Up until they upgraded me to windows 10 last week, I just ran it at 1080p, because Win7 can't do different scaling on different screens, so with scaling I could either have legible text on my laptop screen and HUGE text on my dock, or normal text on my dock, and illegible text on my laptop screen.

Now with Win 10, I just scale it, but it would have been better if it had just had a 1080p or maybe even a 720p screen.

Ultra high DPI's are just annoying and wasteful
Windows 10 can do per-display scaling.

With a push for thin HDR displays this makes sense. You are never going to get a good enough backlight for LCD tech that can do reasonable HDR thin enough for a laptop. Not to mention most people who say they have burn-in actually have image retention, and they just need to watch something else for a bit.
Agreed... IR != burn-in.

Back