Samsung Announces QLED 8K TV for Consumers

1080p upscaled to 4k actually looks really good, it looks good because 1080p scales perfectly into 4k with one 1080p pixel making up 4 x 4k pixels resulting in a pixel that's still a square. Personally, I see 8k as nothing more than a marketing ploy on behalf of manufacturers.

1080p upscaled to 4k actually looks really good.
It looks okay, but I can easily tell the difference between 1080p and native 4K material on my 65" LG OLED at my usual viewing distance of about 2 meters.

That said, I agree with you about 8K, especially if it keeps the 16 to 9 ratio.
If it were double-4k (i.e., 7680 wide by 2160 high) in a 32 to 9 ratio, and curved appropriately, I might buy that.
That a little better than the config my three bottom monitors (1440p portrait, 4K landscape, 1440p portrait) create.

You must have better eyesight than I do then.

I can totally see a difference.. 4K HDR is the shait <3 U must be really blind if u cant see a difference between 1080p and 4k materials.. if i were u.. i would go see a eye doctor :) i am getting old aswell and my eyes arent what they were back in the days and i can still see a difference..

at certain distances, 4K and 1080p blend together. I use a 55" 1080P TV for my media centre, and I think it's just fine. I use a 40" 2160p monitor for my workstation, and I can TELL when I run games at 1440p or (god forbid) 1080p.

I can totally see a difference.. 4K HDR is the shait <3 U must be really blind if u cant see a difference between 1080p and 4k materials.. if i were u.. i would go see a eye doctor :) i am getting old aswell and my eyes arent what they were back in the days and i can still see a difference..

Not really. 1080p scales so well into 4k that the differences aren't as substantial as you may think given decent equipment and source material - Not to mention seating distance. 1080p on a correctly calibrated display can look very good.

4k on an LCD display with the brightness at searing levels as calibrated from the store? No thanks.

Not really. 1080p scales so well into 4k that the differences aren't as substantial as you may think given decent equipment and source material - Not to mention seating distance. 1080p on a correctly calibrated display can look very good.

4k on an LCD display with the brightness at searing levels as calibrated from the store? No thanks.

I have 65" OLED and distance between eye and screen is almost 2 meters.. and source content is proper content.. not streamed from poopflix or some other source of thatkind.. totally can see difference ;) cant compare 1080p and proper 4k stuff between in any ways coz both are just so much different..

I have 65" OLED and distance between eye and screen is almost 2 meters.. and source content is proper content.. not streamed from poopflix or some other source of thatkind.. totally can see difference ;) cant compare 1080p and proper 4k stuff between in any ways coz both are just so much different..

We get it, you sit really close to your TV and can tell the difference, as could almost anyone who isn't legally blind when they're 2m from a 1.65m wide screen.

I just want 4k projectors to get affordable. My projector screen ("screen" being the wall lol) is like over 150" wide, so I can easily see some pixels at 1080p. 4k would help out so much here.

and this to help us get 1 hour of good quality 8k per side...

9373539522_a3065346b8_b.jpg

We get it, you sit really close to your TV and can tell the difference, as could almost anyone who isn't legally blind when they're 2m from a 1.65m wide screen.

Eh, I easily notice 1080p vs 4k. I also feel like 1080p on a 4k display looks like garbage. I am so done with 1080p. Even my 1080p blu rays look really dated now to UHD blu rays.

Eh, I easily notice 1080p vs 4k. I also feel like 1080p on a 4k display looks like garbage. I am so done with 1080p. Even my 1080p blu rays look really dated now to UHD blu rays.

I do notice 1080p vs 4k. But to say 1080p looks like garbage on 4k tv is sort of exaggerating it. Unless you have a really shitty panel. 1080p is okay, 4k is clearly better. But to say its garbage is just little too much lol

I do notice 1080p vs 4k. But to say 1080p looks like garbage on 4k tv is sort of exaggerating it. Unless you have a really shitty panel. 1080p is okay, 4k is clearly better. But to say its garbage is just little too much lol

Yeah I am exaggerating. I'm so sick of 1080p. Call me impatient.

Yeah I am exaggerating. I'm so sick of 1080p. Call me impatient.

1080p is fine if your tv upscales better. I have samsung UHD tv it does a pretty decent job at upscaling 1080p signal. Yea 4k is still better but it does a godo job at 1080p.

1080p upscaled to 4k actually looks really good, it looks good because 1080p scales perfectly into 4k with one 1080p pixel making up 4 x 4k pixels resulting in a pixel that's still a square. Personally, I see 8k as nothing more than a marketing ploy on behalf of manufacturers.
Given that we're probably years away from an expensive consumer product (say 25k for a set), I'll just withhold all judgement. Let's all remember people on here were essentially saying 4k BS in the not too distant past.

I think he's comparing 4k UHD Blu Ray vs 2k Blu Ray and on that front, you're going to have differences beyond resolut

Back