cageymaru

Fully [H]
Samsung has announced new members to its monitor family. First there is the CRG9 49" gaming monitor that features a super ultra-wide screen and dual QHD resolution (5120x1440). The monitor meets HDR10 standards with a peak brightness of 1,000 nits and local dimming. The display uses Samsung's Quantum dot technology and has Picture-by-Picture (PBP) capabilities that allow 2 sources to be shown on screen at the same time. It also features AMD Radeon FreeSync 2 HDR technology to reduce stutter, screen tearing and input latency for the smoothest gaming experience.

The UR59C is a 32", 4K, UHD resolution, curved monitor designed for content creators. It features support for 1 billion colors and a 2,500:1 contrast ratio. It is a super-slim design with a depth of only 6.7mm. The Space Monitor series comes in a 27" size with a QHD resolution or a 32" size with 4K resolution. It is a space saving solution that allows the monitor to store flat against the wall.

Samsung Space Monitor leverages its sleek design and functionality to allow users to focus on what's on the screen and not what's around it. Its unique built-in space saving solution, a minimalist fully-integrated arm, clamps to the desk and frees up desk space for ultimate user productivity. Samsung Space Monitor is easy to set up and adjust when you aren't using it, and simple to push back and store flat against the wall. Through easy ergonomic adjustment, port access and a discreet cable management system, Space Monitor improves the form and function of any workstation or home office.

I'm just not really sure but what is the point of small curved monitors? I can see the attraction of a curved 60" screen for large room television, but I honestly don't get the appeal of curved desktop monitors.

Damn, crg9 is what many here were interested in when they dropped that stupid 1080p version, the fact it's freesync might give an interesting clue to AMD plans this year.
I'm either going vrr tv or this apparently no one wAnts to touch the hdmi2.1 40"+ 4k vrr holy grail.

I'm just not really sure but what is the point of small curved monitors? I can see the attraction of a curved 60" screen for large room television, but I honestly don't get the appeal of curved desktop monitors.

Funny, I see it the opposite way. For a monitor you're sitting close so it keeps all areas of the screen closer to the same distance & directed at your head. I'd only care for an ultra-wide screen. But I don't see why I'd want a curved screen when sitting across the room from my TV.

I have a Samsung CF791 now. For ultra widescreen monitors the curve makes sense. Honestly i never notice the curve but i'd probably not want to go back to a straight monitor now (as i'll never go away from ultra wide).

The QHD CRG9 49 has me very interested. If the price is right that might be my next monitor.

I have the CHG49 with its 3840x1080 resolution. When I say it's more than adequate and looks amazing - it is. Sure a higher resolution would be great but it's still an epic monitor. The worst part of the CHG49 is the monitor came with a backlighting flaw that required a screen replacement and two weeks later it developed 2 dead pixels to which Samsung had to come back and replace the screen once more. So, not so positive on quality control at this point.

3x 27" curved monitors in nvsurround is bliss

If Samsung can get the quality control right then the CRG9 is a great prospect for gaming and multitasking. Quite a few on this site were wanting something just like this for long time, myself included as a long past eyefinity user. The CHG49 even at 1080p is a great screen..
I have however heard quite a few anecdotes about poor Samsung quality with monitors and shipping this behemoth back might not be easy. Then you have the longevity issue if QC is bad, a decent Monitor should ideally last between 7 - 10 years or even more if it can be put to good utility elsewhere. Everyone has one of those small 4:3 Dell's alive and kicking somewhere or one sat ready in a closet.

i would add when i used 3 x 24" monitors the bezel would drive me nuts but whenever i used two just for fun i always thought for racing and sim 32:9 (or 32:10 ) would be the ideal ratio as it mostly avoids ridiculously bad fish eye effect of 3 screens and is less demanding on the GPU, it's like a monitor for each eye. The price though im sure will be a bit rich for what essentially boils down to 2x27" 1440p screens, which is a shame.

Last edited:
I'll pass. I'd like something like this, but I prefer more vertical pixels. I do a decent bit of content and graphic work on my monitor in addition to gaming.
How many games make use of these ultra wide resolutions effectively now?

How many games make use of these ultra wide resolutions effectively now?

Actually quite a few. if you have a look on YT you will see many modern titles if they play in 21:9 okay then they tend to play in 32:9 okay just the same.

My selfish gene was hoping these aren't anything I'd be interested in. And they aren't. I'm happy.

That LU32R590CWNXZA is almost exactly what I asked for in a monitor. Might finally upgrade from my old 27" Apple LED Cinema Display (Pre-thunderbolt, even!) later this year when it comes out. Three of those would look mighty fine on my desk.

And how are those black levels Samsung? It’s awfully sad you aren’t part of the OLED revolution but please, continue with your marketing rehash now you know you can’t compete with the other vendors.

They can try to fake depth better?

Funny, I see it the opposite way. For a monitor you're sitting close so it keeps all areas of the screen closer to the same distance & directed at your head. I'd only care for an ultra-wide screen. But I don't see why I'd want a curved screen when sitting across the room from my TV.
That makes perfect sense because a curved screen is only optimal when the viewer sits centered and equidistant from the edges. That's when to your eyes, all pixels are roughly at the same distance away. That almost never applies in a living room because the curvature would dictate exactly where in the room you have to sit to have the best view, including distance from the TV.

I'm very interested in these given that Samsung's previous "FreeSync 2" class monitors have generally had great specs for the money (though some models have QA issues. I seem to remember the above mentioned problem with the 49" and the 30" having dimming/PWM issues compared to the 27" which is greatly superior of the 1440p models. ) The previous 49" model seemed to low in resolution for me to to invest the kind of money necessary, but this next generation seems to be an improvement in this regard. If they can keep it close to the $1000 mark as the previous that would be great, but I am wondering if the upgrade in resolution will, assuming maintaining the 144hz frequency, mean a massive jump in price. I wonder if this will be one of those paper launches where the thing isn't in stores until Q2 at the earliest, or if they'll deliver right away.

The 4K display is nice, but there are many nice 4K 60hz displays out there. I'd love to see a FreeSync 2 variant 30-32" at 4K 144hz, HDR with local dimming, IPS-like (though Samsung VA QLED is similar enough etc) etc... but I am guessing this will still cost a fortune. In 2016 monitors like this were announced, but didn't really begin showing up until recently and these are 27" nearly $2000 Gsync monstrosities from Asus and Acer. I can only hope for tech to improve and prices to come down to something halfway reasonable (and this isn't even saying anything about OLED kit similar to high end TVs set up in proper monitors).

My selfish gene was hoping these aren't anything I'd be interested in. And they aren't. I'm happy.
My reaction, as well. I guess Samsung are going to continue pushing the 32:9 aspect ratio until it sticks.

Unless it's over $5k, I will order that 49" in a heartbeat. I spend way too much time working in front of dual ultrawides and that would be just about perfect.

I have 3 of the 32". I agree, it is complete bliss. Surprisingly runs good on a single 1080ti and now a single 2080ti.

If the new CRG9 was the size of two 32" screens side by side, I would probably be willing to trade in my chg70's. Add g-sync and I would without a heartbeat.

The CRG9 looks pretty cool. I love curved displays and that would be a nice monitor for the mix of work and gaming I do.

What im running now. Though the inputs are dated and i have to use adapters now. If they can put a curved monitor that equals this and mimics NSurround im all in. Not sire if Ultra Wide itself helps with the side view so I can see those bastard Hordes trying to flank me :mad:

20181106_193206.jpg
For reference here is my CHG49 which dominates my work space.

Back