Samsung Announces 840 Series SSDs

God dammit. My 830's just arrived on Saturday and now they decide to bring these out. Oh well, the sale price on the 830's was too good in the UK and Samsung is offering an additional £20 cash back per SSD so this makes them even better value, even if they are slower...

...:mad: I just bought a 830 last week. It was cheap though so I guess I can't complain. Now to pick up some more clearanced 830's or see if the 840's are worth the money.

...:mad: I just bought a 830 last week. It was cheap though so I guess I can't complain. Now to pick up some more clearanced 830's or see if the 840's are worth the money.

Meh, the 830 is already super fast, it's not like it could get a lot better... holy crap does that say more than double the random write speed?!

I believe this is the link the OP intended to post, to thessd-review.com (remove the hyphen)

First I will try just pasting the link in:

http://.com/daily-news/latest-buzz/...-ssd-family-100000-iops-performance-achieved/

Next I will put it in a URL tag:

http://.com/daily-news/latest-buzz/samsung-announces-release-of-ssd-840-series-ssd-family-100000-iops-performance-achieved/

Here it is in a code tag:

Code:
http://.com/daily-news/latest-buzz/samsung-announces-release-of-ssd-840-series-ssd-family-100000-iops-performance-achieved/

In all three cases, hardforum truncates the part just before the .com, it should be thessd-review (remove the hyphen) before the .com, but hardforum truncates it.

I cannot even type thessd-review without the hyphen, since hardforum will remove it.

This is really bad behavior, and hardforum needs to stop doing it, or people should switch to a different forum without these ridiculous filters.

While I'm excited about the Samsung 840, it would be nice if Anand would start doing apples to apples SSD reviews.
Anand still continues to disable EIST/Turbo for reviews, while Kristian leaves them enabled. If there is no consistency and the variables that are not being tested are not being controlled, the reviews don't really mean too much.

While I'm excited about the Samsung 840, it would be nice if Anand would start doing apples to apples SSD reviews.
Anand still continues to disable EIST/Turbo for reviews, while Kristian leaves them enabled. If there is no consistency and the variables that are not being tested are not being controlled, the reviews don't really mean too much.

I will wait for the hardware.fr review. They do a good job of testing a bunch of SSDs under the exact same conditions. Their tests are also well thought out. Here is their test of a bunch of 128GB SSDs:

http://www.hardware.fr/articles/860-1/comparatif-ssd-2012-20-ssd-sata-6g-120-128-go.html

I guess we will have to wait a while to see the Samsung 840 Pro added to that list, since I don't think Samsung sent out any 128GB 840 Pros for review, only 256GB and 512GB.

I will wait for the hardware.fr review. They do a good job of testing a bunch of SSDs under the exact same conditions. Their tests are also well thought out. Here is their test of a bunch of 128GB SSDs:

http://www.hardware.fr/articles/860-1/comparatif-ssd-2012-20-ssd-sata-6g-120-128-go.html

I guess we will have to wait a while to see the Samsung 840 Pro added to that list, since I don't think Samsung sent out any 128GB 840 Pros for review, only 256GB and 512GB.

I like hardware.fr and a few others, but I know A LOT of people use Anand for decision making and their SSD reviews are unscientific. Btw, Hugh mentioned in the Neutron GTX thread that a Plextor ssd is in queue to be reviewed here on [H]. I hope they get around to doing the 840 as well, because any review done on [H] means a guaranteed apples to apples comparison.

PS - Kristian's response to me asking about EIST/Turbo being enabled for his reviews, while being disabled for Anand's was, "AFAIK it affected performance with some older SandForce SSDs but when I started testing SSD and asked Anand for all the settings, he just told me to leave it on since it doesn't matter anymore." So why in the hell doesn't Lal Shimpi turn it on if it doesn't matter? :rolleyes:

This is really bad behavior, and hardforum needs to stop doing it, or people should switch to a different forum without these ridiculous filters.
While I agree with you, when you start your own site and/or quit posting on this one, you're just somebody else who can "talk the talk" but can't "walk the walk". :)

well on the upside for my wife, she may be getting my crucial M4 for her pc sooner than I anticipated :D

that samsung is looking pretty nice.... it would be nicer if it was priced where the 830 is but meh.

dang, just put in an 830 a couple weeks ago. well maybe the price will drop enough on the 830's and make RAID a little more in my price range :)

My $50 2x128GB RAID 0 OCZ Agility 4 array easily beats the 840 in synthetic benchmarks. :)

These new Samsung 840s are going to have to be priced right to be a big winner.

Looks a hair faster, certainly not worth a 30% premium.

In day to day usage, would anyone be able to tell the difference between an 830 or an 840 in their machine if they weren't told which was in it? I doubt it.

Guys, I've read a number of reviews and my conclusion is that while the Samsung 840 Pro is a good evolution, it is not a revolution by any measure of the word.

I know it's common to say "never say never" but I guarantee you won't ever know the difference between these two. If I found a SandForce drive with Toggle flash and it was cheaper I'd get one of those instead of the 840. SandForce also uses compression which should lead to lower write amplification, which sounds good to me in theory (it might not matter in the real world)

Source of these benchmarks is the-ssd-review

Corsair GS 240GB

GS-AS-SSD-Copy-Bench.png

Samsung 840 Pro 512GB

840-ASSD-Copy-Bench.png

There's not any noticeable real world difference between any of the top drives, so I'm sure this one is no exception. What you are paying for is the reliability and customer service, more than the performance.

None of these drives are revolutionary. In all honesty, until we have multi-TB of NAND die striped across a SATA Express IF, we aren't going to see anything but mildly incremental improvements in speeds.

Will SATA Express be commonly available on non-consumer/enterprise products? I would have thought that the direction goes to 12 Gb/s SAS instead in that segment. SATA Express seems like an evolution mainly for the consumer space.

Considering how slow Intel is with the inclusion of new interfaces in ther chipsets, I would not expect SATA Express to be included in the Haswell PCH.

Very nice to read about the new SSD drives from Samsung and Corsair out now. While they are an improvement, they are not huge differences or have features the prior models did not already have. Personally, I don't feel the need to upgrade at this time, but it's still nice to know they are making advancements.

The Samsung 840 is commanding a premium due to the flash they are using for the "pro" model. Also, I don't look for the 830 to be much cheaper due to what most have read about increasing NAND memory prices going back up. Maximum PC had a blurb about this in their most recent issue. So, the 830 will most likely become the sweet spot now I would guess.

Most comparisons are for the latest drives, I know there's a lot of us on Intel G2 and other first/second Gen drives. I think for us the 840, Plextor M5 pro, and other soon-to-be released drives should be noticeably faster, not much but still noticeable.

Now that the prices are dropping I`m debating about upgrading a couple systems from intel g2s to 840 or m5 pro... anyone compared these ? That's the benchmarks I'd like to see :D

In day to day usage, would anyone be able to tell the difference between an 830 or an 840 in their machine if they weren't told which was in it? I doubt it.
Sounds about right but I wish I had enough money to see for myself.

Can I apply for a low interest loan from ya? :)

Now that the prices are dropping I`m debating about upgrading a couple systems from intel g2s to 840 or m5 pro... anyone compared these ? That's the benchmarks I'd like to see :D

The 840 Pro looks to benchmark faster than the M5P. But they are similar enough that I would probably make my decision based on whichever is cheaper. Although my guess is that they end up costing about the same, in which case I'd probably go for the 840 Pro. Except that the one that Anand had die on him is worrisome. Decisions, decisions.

The 840 Pro looks to benchmark faster than the M5P. But they are similar enough that I would probably make my decision based on whichever is cheaper. Although my guess is that they end up costing about the same, in which case I'd probably go for the 840 Pro. Except that the one that Anand had die on him is worrisome. Decisions, decisions.

I'd wait for more 840 reviews from elsewhere. Anand has EIST disabled for the 840 and all of his reviews, while Kristian (Plextor reviewer) has it enabled. The variables that are not being tested are not being controlled on Anandtech, so comparing their 840 review to their M5P review is completely unscientific. I can't believe a respectable site like Anandtech is allowing such inconsistencies in their reviews and people wonder why there is so much foolish consumerism.

Edit: Sorry I'm still ranting about this, but I'm simply being empirical about it. I'm not trying to personally criticize Anandtech reviewers, but the methods used for testing do deserve criticism.

Last edited:
I'd wait for more 840 reviews from elsewhere. Anand has EIST disabled for the 840 and all of his reviews, while Kristian (Plextor reviewer) has it enabled. The variables that are not being tested are not being controlled on Anandtech, so comparing their 840 review to their M5P review is completely unscientific. I can't believe a respectable site like Anandtech is allowing such inconsistencies in their reviews and people wonder why there is so much foolish consumerism.

Edit: Sorry I'm still ranting about this, but I'm simply being empirical about it. I'm not trying to personally criticize Anandtech reviewers, but the methods used for testing do deserve criticism.

How much difference is there between EIST on and off? I know you'd like to control as many variables as possible, but I haven't heard that EIST seriously impacts performance one way or the other. Maybe at the margins, but not in a game changing way.

How much difference is there between EIST on and off? I know you'd like to control as many variables as possible, but I haven't heard that EIST seriously impacts performance one way or the other. Maybe at the margins, but not in a game changing way.

Even [H] specifically disables EIST for all of their SSD reviews - http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1039163082&postcount=18

As you can see below, the 4k read/write speeds and access times for writes are very very different and this is directly related to the enabling/disabling of those CPU power saving features. The point isn't about enabling vs. disabled. The point is Anand disables it for all of his reviews, while Kristian leaves them enabled for his. That is not apples to apples and there is no reasoning for them to be testing different ways.

EIST/Turbo Enabled
88933951.jpg

EIST/Turbo Disabled
m33z.jpg

I'm not sure why you seem to be assuming I based my statement only on Anand's tests. I looked at several Samsung 840 Pro reviews. None of them have a perfect comparison between the M5P and the 840 Pro, but several of them publish standard benchmarks like AS-SSD, ASU (Anvil) and PCMark 7. On all those benchmarks from all the review sites that I saw, the 840 Pro benchmarks higher than the M5P.

So, from preliminary results, I think the 840 Pro wins on performance against the M5P. But since none of the M5P reviews mentioned a failure, and Anand's review does mention an 840 Pro failure (even if it is beta hardware), I think the M5P wins on quality. So if the two SSDs come out costing about the same, it is a tough choice. Anyone who can wait should probably wait until the 840 Pro has been out for 3-6 months before making a decision, since then it will be more clear if there are any quality problems.

By the way, I noticed that newegg now has all M5P models in stock, 128GB, 256GB, and 512GB for $130, $250, and $450. It will be interesting to see where the 840 Pro prices come in next month.

I'm not sure why you seem to be assuming I based my statement only on Anand's tests. I looked at several Samsung 840 Pro reviews. None of them have a perfect comparison between the M5P and the 840 Pro, but several of them publish standard benchmarks like AS-SSD, ASU (Anvil) and PCMark 7. On all those benchmarks from all the review sites that I saw, the 840 Pro benchmarks higher than the M5P.

So, from preliminary results, I think the 840 Pro wins on performance against the M5P. But since none of the M5P reviews mentioned a failure, and Anand's review does mention an 840 Pro failure (even if it is beta hardware), I think the M5P wins on quality. So if the two SSDs come out costing about the same, it is a tough choice. Anyone who can wait should probably wait until the 840 Pro has been out for 3-6 months before making a decision, since then it will be more clear if there are any quality problems.

By the way, I noticed that newegg now has all M5P models in stock, 128GB, 256GB, and 512GB for $130, $250, and $450. It will be interesting to see where the 840 Pro prices come in next month.

Yeah I missed that it was you when I saw the post, sorry and I agree with everything you said. Btw, watch out because Newegg has Final Sales Return Policy on only the 256GB and it's only like that through Newegg.com not Neweggbusiness.com. I've contacted them about it today, as it must have been an error by whoever made the page, and they said they'd fix it and get back to me later today.

Will SATA Express be commonly available on non-consumer/enterprise products? I would have thought that the direction goes to 12 Gb/s SAS instead in that segment. SATA Express seems like an evolution mainly for the consumer space.

Considering how slow Intel is with the inclusion of new interfaces in ther chipsets, I would not expect SATA Express to be included in the Haswell PCH.

It won't be in Haswell (Or Broadwell as of now). It is still up in the air whether it will debut in Skylake at 14nm or have to wait for Skymont at 10nm. A lot will depend on when the SATA IO completes the spec, and when the silicon is ready.

SATA Express will eventually replace SATA, so boards that currently have some SATA ports for low priority data or Optical etc will probably go through the same crossovers that we went through from ATA to SATA. For a while the boards will less SEXP/More SATA, then as the drive switchovers happen we will see more SEXP/Less SATA until SATA just drops away.
As to 12Gb/s SAS, it will continue to increase in port counts and decrease in cost as the silicon matures and the costs decrease. Remember, there is always something faster on the drawing board.

Last edited:
Back